• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Thoughts on Cross-Gen releases

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
With a fair amount of PS5 games also coming to PS4, I have to wonder, what do you guys think of some games being cross gen? There's a few different ways you can see this from. It could be a good thing in that you don't have to go out and buy the new consoles if the game is coming to the system that you already own, but it can also be that those games are being held back from realizing their true potential for the sake of allowing previous gen owners to play them too. Also in some cases, the last gen game may be gimped in some way compared to the next generation version, so at that point, is it even worth it to have it be cross gen instead of just next generation exclusive?

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
It depends. I can get behind very early games being for both, especially if they were only intended for an older console or haven’t yet realized the new ones’ full potential. Releasing for both consoles mostly hurts the producer of the console, as it gives less incentives to purchase the new one.

There'll always be a crossover in an early gen with old gen because the power of the new gen won't be realised until later on.

Look at Heavenly Sword compared to The Last of Us.

Games like Horizon 2 which are also coming to both consoles will have started development on the previous and will have been updated to suit the new models.

I don't think there's much of an issue with cross gen. I understand both the consumer and business side.

Some people are apprehensive about buying a console day one and some simply can't afford it.
Also devs will want to take advantage of the strong install base of the last gen.

So I'm fine with it. If at a later point I want to play a game on PS5 that I have on the 4 I can part ex it towards the cost or buy it for a reduced price. It works out fine.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It definitely helps maintain some support for the previous generation of consoles. The last thing you want to do is just suddenly stop releasing new games for the Xbone and PS4 right as the XboSX and PS5 come out.

I think it's always good to have more options for consumers. I personally prefer to purchase the next-gen versions of games. And as Spirit says, I don't think early games are held back because developers don't yet understand how to fully utilize the new hardware yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom