• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Thotes on Super Mario Galaxy/Super Mario Galaxy 2

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Recently I went back to playing Super Mario Galaxy after I bought a haunted copy that turns all the character models upside down and all the Toads were replaced with static images of Miyamotos eyeless mug. Now I'm a person who never thought they'd ever enjoy a 3D Mario game after being sorely dissapointed with the wrong-answer that is Super Mario Sunshine, but upon booting up Mario Galaxy for the first time I was floored by the blindingly grandiose title screen. Seriously that's the reason my left eye exploded and I get to have a cool eyepatch and pretend I'm Big Boss.

But I digress.

Mario Galaxy for me is such a magical and captivating experience. All the colours are vibrant without killing your one remaining eye, the music does a stellar (no pun intended) job of capturing the feel of your designated locale, all the sound effects sound so crisp and delicious as if you had just bitten into a fresh apple made of Mega Mushrooms, and the gameplay is smooth and fluid like woah. The difficulty curve is perfectly suitable for anybody, making it a very accessible game if you give two damns about that stuff UGH.

The sequel, Mario Galaxy 2, was more of the same but nicer looking and with Yoshis. Because all it really is is an expansion of Mario Galaxy 1 I just lump the two together as one game.

But yeah, Mario Galaxy is super cool MAN, and if you don't like it you most certainly drool.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Original Mario Galaxy was god-like, one of the best Mario games period. The sequel was just more of the same and I didn't feel worked as well; I enjoyed Galaxy because of how fresh and different it was, so I definitely enjoyed the sequel less when those feelings were gone. I don't think it's objectively the worse game, but by the end of Galaxy I was definitely done, so Galaxy 2 didn't captivate me at all.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I dunno, I played it a bit late so I was able to get all that lovey goop back. Sorry you didn't get the feeling.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Loved Galaxy 1 it was a solid game but 2 was a bit all over the place, though i did enjoy the comet medals and green stars. Also why do you hate Super mario Sunshine, it wasn't all bad if you disregard the awful Flood.

Salem

SICK
I loved both of these games, I thought Galaxy 2 was a slight improvement over the first one.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I played each of the three revolutionary Mario games when they were new--that's Super Mario Bros., Super Mario 64, and Super Mario Galaxy.

Super Mario 64 was, and is, an amazing experience. Playing it was an almost spiritual experience for my ten-year-old self, and for over a decade, it remained my favorite platformer of all time.

In spite of the nostalgia, in spite of the persistent quality of Super Mario 64, Galaxy quickly supplanted it as my favorite platformer. And it remains there to this day.

I like Mario Galaxy 2 as well, but to be honest I didn't JUST like the gameplay of the first game--it had a great atmosphere, great music, etc. The Observatory was a memorable location. Mario Galaxy 2 still had good gameplay, but it didn't hit me as an experience of equal quality to the first game. That one had a charm that would be hard to recapture. Still, I love Mario Galaxy 2.

I like both games, but I always though the first Super Mario Galaxy game was the best out of the two. The sequel felt more of the same to me, but it was still a good game overall.

Both of the games are amazing. The first has you rerun the entire game as Luigi to get the last star at the intro stage. The 2nd game as you farming green stars. And once you have all the green stars you have one last star to get. The last stage with only 1 life bar. This was the only star in both games I never got. That stage is a royal pig. I got to the last segment but never managed to do it.

The 2nd game has more content if you include the green stars. But both games are very good and look amazing. My favourite is probably the 1st one just.

I played each of the three revolutionary Mario games when they were new--that's Super Mario Bros., Super Mario 64, and Super Mario Galaxy.
I think Super Mario 3 and not 1 was revolutionary. The 3rd game expanded the game, introduced a world map, a proper story, interesting power ups, secrets (whistles, ghost shops and ghost ships). I think Super Mario 3 was the best NES game. I agree that 64 and Galaxy were amazing too. World 1&2 on the SNES were nice but not amazing. And Sunshine was just terrible. I thought 64 was better than Sunshine in every way. 3D worlds just feels like a 3D Super Mario 1 complete with level timer so you can't really explore any stage much. For that reason I'm not a fan of the WiiU 3D worlds.

Last edited:
Super Mario 64 was the first videogame I ever played and I enjoyed every minute of it, so I assumed it would take a very long time for a Mariogame to have the same effect on me.

When I received a Wii in late 2007, I played Super Mario Galaxy and instantly fell in love with it. It had the same great old platforming and boss battles with gravity mechanics and orchestrated music thrown in to make things fresh. If there was ever a game that showed how stunning Wii games can be, it was Super Mario Galaxy.

Galaxy 2 wasn't as revolutionary as its predecessor, but it was a worthwhile refinement. I love the Cloud and Rock suits. They're some of my favorites in the Mario series. It was nice to see Yoshi return too with some fruit power-ups thrown in for good measure.

It'll be years before Nintendo tops the genius of the Galaxy games, but I wouldn't mind a Super Mario HD Collection for Wii U with the four power star collecting 3D Mario games included.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
SMG was great, one of my favourite Nintendo games. It was just so fun to play and the soundtrack is probably one of the best in all videogames.
2 was just more of the same, it was good gameplay and it had Yoshi's BUT it didn't have the same impact and had less of a story than the first, they did away with a decent hubworld too instead we got just a tiny little starship mario rather than rosalina's observatory.

Malia

Passive aggressive custom rank B)
Super Mario Galaxy is literally one of my fave Mario games ever, like right up there with M64, MRPG, and Paper M 1/2, and was frankly my fave game overall on the Wii. To be honest, I was always one of those annoying fangirls when it game to M64 lol, and I wasn't expecting anything to come close to how much I loved it. That was, of course, when MGalaxy took me by surprise and blew me away. I still listen to its soundtrack regularly too! <3

Also, funny you should bring up the MG games--just last week, I decided to go back and give MG2 a go because I remembered not liking it as much as the first, and feeling it was more a expansion of the first game--kinda like how I felt about Bioshock 2. I figured maybe with a few years in between that last experience, I could play this game without my obv. strong bias for the first. And you know what? I'm really glad I did; the game is fantastic. I still don't think that it's better than MG, but that's honestly okay because the game on its own is pretty damn solid and has hours of super-fun game play.

I found I really liked the Jibberjay and Whittle races a lot more than I did the first time too <3 So adorable.

So yeah! I'm a big fan of the MG games! :D

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I find Galaxy 2 more replayable because of the higher difficulty ceiling in the later parts and there being more little gimmicks per stage. The little focus Galaxy 1 had on story changing almost completely to gameplay in Galaxy 2 is something I have mixed feelings on, but it's not really a problem with 2 itself. It's not like it had many options to continue Galaxy's story since it already had about as much closure as it could have needed. It does feel off that Rosalina in 2 is apparently a complete stranger now, though.

I do hope we get another Mario with little story touches and atmosphere like 1 sometime. It's probably the Mario game with more memorable moments that springs to mind for me even if only for that little spark of personality it got from giving the characters and atmosphere some space to shine.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Both fantastic games.

I admit neither of them quite match the exploration and freedom of Mario 64, but when you look at the graphics, sound, atmosphere, personality, level design, variety and so on, Mario Galaxy was just a better designed game in my eyes.

I feel that the original Mario Galaxy is a microcosm of what Nintendo is to the gaming industry in its entirety. Featured on the technically weakest home console system of an entire gaming generation, it managed to introduce a completely fresh and engaging style of gameplay that not only was a new, invigorating experience, but also brought forth the very best of what the platforming genre had to offer with elements that were both intuitive and just downright entertaining on nearly every level.

The first Mario Galaxy is my second favorite game of all time. It looks gorgeous on a system that was standard definition in a high definition world, and it played like an absolute dream. Never before have I played a game that brought me into such a new way to play a video game and yet kept such an amazingly high level of polish and finesse throughout the entire experience. It wasn't a "gimmick" that wore out its welcome after a few hours, or became monotonous after a few days; it was a brand new element that controlled as precisely as any predecessor, and was executed to achieve its highest potential in a way that left me feel like I would be playing the game again and again for years to come.

I honestly feel like the first Mario Galaxy should be on every gamer's "Top 10" list. Having an HD version on the Wii U would be something I would gladly shell out $50 dollars for, as it would be completely worth it. If you can only play one Mario game, I would strongly recommend it over any other. Yes, Mario's best 2D adventures may come close (Super Mario World or Super Mario Bros 3), but none of them is an "experience" like the original Mario Galaxy is.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Could our opinions maybe be influenced by whichever game we play first of the two? Because I bought a Wii bundle that included Mario Galaxy 2 and only played the first one a while later - and 2 is definitely my favourite out of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom