• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"This is Gay"

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
I've never fully understood why people say this when they're raging online or just in general when something don't go there way.

They say "this is gay" or " that's so ****ing gay dude" or online, "***** you like to take it up in the *** you little ******" when they are losing the game, or if a friend is being a jackass they say "you're gay *****".

I've said it on more then one occasion and sometimes get a kick out of it but its more of a natural reaction for me.

Why is it said, in the context that I have explained?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Staff member
ZD Legend
It's just meant as an insult in that context. 'Gay' is seen as a derogatory term by most (especially young boys) and so it's used as such by a lot of people.

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I also wonder this same thing. I never use it in that kind of context, and I find it extremely weird when other people do. Even though the word originally meant "happy", it now applies to homosexuals, so calling something "gay" isn't accurate, considering that something probably cannot have a sexuality. It seems like people equate "gay" with things they have negative feelings towards, and I find it strange for them to think that. Although I am straight, being gay is not a negative thing, and it seems disrespectful in my opinion to call something you don't like "gay". It's almost as if you're equating that negativity to homosexuals, and that's not only rude, it's wrong.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I think that it's unfortunate, but it seems gay has become an insult in society. I don't know why people use it, but it seems stupid.

I have used it this way in the past though I've also curbed it and I'm happy about that. It seems like a stupid insult to me. I'm comfortable in my sexuality so why should I have to worry about someone else calling me gay? And I've got gay friends too. When someone calls them gay they shrug it off. Actually I have one who will say in response, "Glad you can tell."

I think it mostly stems from the fact that we live in a society that looks down on and bashes homosexuality. As such, the word is supposed to be an insult, but for me, it falls on deaf ears. I don't care cause I know myself better than anyone else.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
Generally speaking the word "Gay" can mean many things, it is not just a term used to express homosexuals, but in fact also a word that can be substituted for "stupid" or "foolish".

It is this reason that people often say it in the midst of a bothersome situation, or use it to insult another individual for that matter, just to call said situation or individual stupid.

However, I'm sure that in some cases the homosexual side of it is used to insult a person as well, but more or less "Gay" is used to call something or someone stupid or foolish.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I have never fully understood why "gay" and "jew" mean stupid now
like i know what you're talking about. i used to play Modern Warfare 2 on x-box live and whenever someone started loosing i'd hear "Oh my go this is gay." and i'd be like "One this game is not a guy who likes guys, two how does you loosing make it gay?"
my generation of people confuse me

All Might

Honor before death
Forum Volunteer
Apparently nowadays gay has several more meanings (most of the derogatory) than the original definitions. In the context that you used them, the word would mean annoying or, in the same way as saying "You're retarded", extremely foolish/stupid. I don't like the usage of it one bit, because of how degrading it sounds toward a person.

But in spite of all that...

Original definitions said:
Lighthearted and carefree - 'Nan had a gay disposition and a very pretty face'
Characterized by cheerfulness or pleasure - 'We had a gay old time'
Brightly colored; showy; brilliant - 'A gay profusion of purple and pink sweet peas'
...It can also be taken as a compliment.

I mostly only hear it from obnoxious 12 year old boys who think it's cool to berate homosexuality and use the term "gay" as an insult. I used to do it too, so I'd know. It stopped a while before I realized I was a bisexual though.

Because people really don't care these days if they offend someone or if what they are saying even makes any sense. What I usually do is either just use the word "stupid" or say "That's so straight" just to see if straight people like it or not.

People use terms like "gay" and "Jew" as derogatory insults to hide insecurities about themselves. It's the very reasons bullies pick on those weaker than them in the school environment. A person perceives themselves to be weak or worthless and desires to victimize others. It's in human nature. No one wants to be at the bottom of the pecking order.

If you hear someone call another person "gay", it's best to ignore the perpetrator. Joking about such topics as sexuality-the word traditionally refers to its homosexual context when negatively utilized-is extremely immature and does greater harm to those who use such language rather than those who it is directed against. It's hard to take such scandalous jokers seriously.

Last edited:

Keeseman

Smash is Life
"Dude, you like League of Legends? LoL is gay."
"Calling other people gay for no reason is gay."

That was an actual conversation I overheard in school a while back.

The random calling of people as "gay" or saying "sup, f****t" is just teenage boys thinking that saying that is funny. It's not. It's stupid, and makes absolutely no sense.

Another example conversation. While I was discussing hockey with one of my friends, another guy interrupts and says:

"Hockey? Hockey and Canadians are gay." (note: I'm Canadian)

I went on to explain to him that hockey is one of the least gay sports out there, considering that it contains a bunch of guys on skates doing intense athletics, all while beating the crap out of one another, and contains a great sense of patriotism to my nation, is an incredible pastime, and everything about it is generally awesome. He ignored me (obviously) and repeated the same thing- that the sport was "gay".

Calling things "gay" for no reason is just a social trend that was likely started by a bunch of immature kids who thought it was funny to call others gay.

Why people say it when they are upset- probably a similar thing. It makes them feel better when they think the other person feels worse because they have been called "gay". It doesn't make sense to me at all.

I went on to explain to him that hockey is one of the least gay sports out there, considering that it contains a bunch of guys on skates doing intense athletics, all while beating the crap out of one another, and contains a great sense of patriotism to my nation, is an incredible pastime, and everything about it is generally awesome. He ignored me (obviously) and repeated the same thing- that the sport was "gay".
You can be tough, patriotic and awesome AND be gay.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
People use terms like "gay" and "Jew" as derogatory insults to hide insecurities about themselves. It's the very reasons bullies pick on those weaker than them in the school environment. A person perceives themselves to be weak or worthless and desires to victimize others. It's in human nature. No one wants to be at the bottom of the pecking order.

If you hear someone call another person "gay", it's best to ignore the perpetrator. Joking about such topics as sexuality-the word traditionally refers to its homosexual context when negatively utilized-is extremely immature and does greater harm to those who use such language rather than those who it is directed against. It's hard to take such scandalous jokers seriously.
How is saying "Jew" derogatory?

How is saying "Jew" derogatory?
The clearest example is the slew of Holocaust jokes people make. "Anne Frankly I don't care what you have to say," comes to mind, for example. Minority groups are often the victims of terrible slander but those involved in the Holocaust appear to be especially ridiculed for some reason. In my area, a lot of people make fun of Poles and the inability of their nation to defend against Germany which is completely inaccurate given the valiant struggle the country waged for a month prior to capitulating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom