• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

This Game's a Joke, Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Con-man

Master Swordsman
You're kidding, right? Most Nintendo veterans know that Nintendo hasn't changed much since back then.

EXACTLY! It's been 20 years! Let's see some new stuff! Some better graphics, stronger systems. I still implore you to admit that Nintendo is mostly catering to the casual crowd, and they're using the Zelda franchise to do this. If they were really devoted to their dedicated users like us Skyward Sword would have looked MORE LIKE the Zelda Wii U demo, and would have an overworld more like Skyrim's(in terms of freedom and size). ADMIT IT.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nintendo has been catering to casuals since their inception. It was Nintendo's THIRD PARTY that gave off the hardcore vibe. The third party then receded from the union that was Nintendo, birthing Sony or Microsoft some great vidya gaems. It isn't Nintendo who makes the hardcore games, it is the third parties.

EXACTLY! It's been 20 years! Let's see some new stuff! Some better graphics, stronger systems. I still implore you to admit that Nintendo is mostly catering to the casual crowd, and they're using the Zelda franchise to do this. If they were really devoted to their dedicated users like us Skyward Sword would have looked MORE LIKE the Zelda Wii U demo, and would have an overworld more like Skyrim's(in terms of freedom and size). ADMIT IT.
Let me get this straight...you have TP's Ganondorf in your signature yet you complain about Skyward Sword being the same as the others? How absolutely HYPOCRITICAL!
Skyward Sword shakes up the Zelda formula in many ways! Have you played any other Zelda game besides Twilight Princess? By the looks of it, no.
Twilight Princess is the epitome of shameless rehashing (Ocarina of Time rehash in its case). Don't get me wrong, I like Twilight Princess but the whole experience feels like a second-hand copy of Ocarina of Time.
Have you ever played Wind Waker, with its brilliant humor and tone? Have you ever played The original Zeldas on the NES and SNES? Have you ever played Skyward Sword, the most unique Zelda game yet? Take off your fanboy glasses or go to back to Twilight Princess and Skyrim.

Con-man

Master Swordsman
Let me get this straight...you have TP's Ganondorf in your signature yet you complain about Skyward Sword being the same as the others? How absolutely HYPOCRITICAL!
Skyward Sword shakes up the Zelda formula in many ways! Have you played any other Zelda game besides Twilight Princess? By the looks of it, no.
Twilight Princess is the epitome of shameless rehashing (Ocarina of Time rehash in its case). Don't get me wrong, I like Twilight Princess but the whole experience feels like a second-hand copy of Ocarina of Time.
Have you ever played Wind Waker, with its brilliant humor and tone? Have you ever played The original Zeldas on the NES and SNES? Have you ever played Skyward Sword, the most unique Zelda game yet? Take off your fanboy glasses or go to back to Twilight Princess and Skyrim.

All you did was make assumptions in that post. I have a Ganondorf pic becuase it looks cool. I have played and beaten Oot, MM, ALttP, WW, TP and SS, do I own them all? No, WW and MM I borrowed from a friend the rest were either played on emulators, N64 or I bought for the Wii.

Also, how am I the fanboy? The only game I have a problem with is SS because I expected a lot more.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
FL, Con-man doesn't really care about undertones. TWW's humor was an undertone. The original Zeldas had no tone at all. Con-man wants results, and he wants them ASAP. Better, realistic graphics. Better puzzles that aren't gimmicky or so based on environment. Enemies that don't require you to think so much as it takes to beat them into the ground, and more aggressive rather than passive enemies. And for God's sake, a story that isn't so ridiculously similar to every other entry in the series. We need plot twists, questing (besides the main quest to get the girl), overhauls, aggressively smart enemies who can do more besides parry every single swing you deliver, and more like that. It isn't necessarily a fanboy's request, but a wake up call.

Katelynn

Flirtatously Flirty
You know, i'm suprised this thread hasnt been closed already... putting that aside anyway. Skyward isn't as horrible as a few of you Zelda "fans" seen to say. Honestly, if you're going to beat down on the game of the year, then you haven't played it to it's full potential. This is Zelda we're talking about, not some random Mario game only released in japan.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Hi all,
i've just registered to tell you my feelings about this.
I am/was a huge Zelda fan, have played all the games in the 90s for gameboy, SNES and of course Ocarina of time for N64. I loved Ocarina of time, due to its adventurous feeling, lovely graphics and gameplay. I also played Wind waker on Gamecube which was slightly more boring than ocarina because of the long distances and less content in the game. Since then i havened owned a nintendo system so i couldnt really play the other games (apart from some weekend sessions at friends/family).
I can actually agree with you about some parts of Wind Waker like the sailing and the Triforce quest being extremely tedious and boring and the game could've been much better if those things had been improved.

well but i never really forgot how beautiful ocarina of time was (and partly wind waker) and about the great time i had with this game. Then i heard from the anniversary of Zelda, and read that probably the "best Zelda ever" is going to be released soon and i decided to give it a try and bought a wii and the game on release date.

Since then ive played around 5 hours and just yesterday finished the first temple (which was very short somehow).
I think the length of it was OK considering it's the first dungeon in the game, for comparison the first TWO dungeons in OoT were pretty lame, very short and easy as hell.

And i am asking you this: What the hell is this sh**?? Is that really zelda?? it hasnt made any progress in tha last 20 years?

_The graphics is worse then in Ocarina of time?! really?! Why?

Like many here have already said, this simply is not the case. Polygons, details, variation etc are far behind those of SS. I think that OoT's graphics have aged the worst in the whole series, the 2D games, especially aLttP look still fresh today but OoT, being the first 3D Zelda, looks very dated now. Especially Hyrule Field was very empty and had a monotone look, no comparison to for example Faron Woods in SS.
For the artstyle: I think it's good and doesn't try too hard just to look realistic, this sets it apart from 95% of all other current-gen adventure/RPG/FPS/sports... games.
But I have to admit I liked TP's a tad better and what they've shown us with the Wii U demo looks very promising too, if they go further into that direction with detailed, high res but yet very colourful and rich-in-contrast graphics that stay distinct from others and don't participate in the realism arms race, then I see no bad future for the graphical department.

_The areas i have explored are a total joke, in the sky there is like 3 or 4 islands so small you can barely land on them..

Can partially agree here too, there could've been more sidequest islands like the one where the pumpkin bar is on or even some as big as Skyloft. There was more potential but after all it's OK as it is.

_The "sky city" itself has like, dont know 20 NPCs? What kind of life is that when they are living just in that town for centuries havent seen anything of the earth land and still are just 20 people?
I think it was big enough, I also rather have a little less characters that are more in-depth (like in MM) instead of some which you only see once or can't even talk to at all (Yeah, I'm thinking of TP castle town)

_The areas on the earth (have just finished wood area and a bit of vulcano) are really small and very straight forward, i mean even the "worlds" in Super Mario 64 (where you have to jump through a painting) had more freedom of exploring and were almost as big as one of the (only!) three areas in this game?! Furthermore there is like no life on the earth, there are occasionally some enemies (who hold up their swords very awkwardly by the way, just to have a reason for the annoying motion playing?) but nothing else? No cities, no villages nothing? are there even quests down there, except going to the temple? Why is this damn whole in the sky then not directly above the temple?

While it's right that the game has become quite linear and I think there should be multiple ways to a goal like in aLttP, I actually like the areas way more than in TP/OoT because they just feel denser and more realistic than the corridor-connected areas in previous games. It's a step into the right direction again, the last overworlds I really thought were designed well were those in aLttP and MM. And there's much more to them later in the game, each of the areas becomes considerably larger and each of the areas have some strong environmental changes throughout the game.

_Quests? Are there any? Have done exactly... one! since ive started the game. Wont spoiler here, because that might be the only quest in the game( something about a girl).. Main story line is more like a long manga or comic book for me rather than a quest line, there are no real quests in it just go here and there. Im playing skyrim too since 2 weeks and its like the complete opposite you can go to talk to anyone in the vast amount of towns and villages and almost everyone has something to say or do.

Haven't played Skyrim (I'm actually interested in it, but they don't offer a demo on their site so I won't blindly spend €50) but I think those two cannot be compared. I guess you can do different parts of the story in totally random order, right? Yeah, I wish there was more non-linearity in Zelda again, but I don't know how this would go with the storyline. But there are many optional sidequests in SS too.

I think the most annoying thing is really that you have nothing to explore, the sky world has really so few content it feels like it was orginally planned to be a screen saver in the nintendo offices. And the earth areas are just bad. just really bad. you never have the option to go either this way or that.. i hope this gets better during the game, though.
Yeah, like I said the sky world holds much unused potential, but the earth areas do get better later on.

Last thing im really confused of, since when do you repair shield and upgrade swords with butterflies and bugs? Wth?!
As it has been clarified, you use different raw materials for the shield, the sword cannot be optionally upgraded at all (this is part of the main quest) and the insects are used for the potions.

You really shouldn't give up on the game yet, it's a typical Nintendo spleen to have rather long tutorial phases at the beginning of games which can become boring for experienced players of a game series. This started with OoT where the tutorial actually lasted until Jabu-Jabu's belly which IMO was the first somehow (comparably!) challenging dungeon in the game and it was repeated in WW and TP, there should be an option to skip or at least accelerate that process for experienced Zelda players :/ But there have been other examples where you just slammed in your cartridge and were ready to go exploring the world after just a few minutes (especially in Link to the Past and Majora's Mask) without any long and boring tutorial where nothing happens. SS wasn't all that bad in this respect IMO, it went some sort of middle way by combining tutorial and story elements.

So... of course noone can force you to like this game and you made some valid points here, so maybe Zelda just isn't the right thing for you (anymore)...

Hi, had no intention in insulting the game or offensing anyone. Why do you react so harsh? Dont even know what troll is?!
Thats just my opinion of the game but it seems like i am the only one feeling this way

PS ich bin auch deutsch^^(=I'm German too) That's why I can tell you why you're amazed by the reaction here. What is a normal discussion in a German forum may sound like a fiery flame war to English speakers when translated 1:1, at least that's my experience, it's just the language barrier and different discussion culture, you have to get used to it. I know your intentions weren't bad but some might have interpreted it differently and felt attacked personally.

EDIT: Just have to jump in again after this
You know, i'm suprised this thread hasnt been closed already... putting that aside anyway. Skyward isn't as horrible as a few of you Zelda "fans" seen to say. Honestly, if you're going to beat down on the game of the year, then you haven't played it to it's full potential. This is Zelda we're talking about, not some random Mario game only released in japan.
This is exactly what irks me here at ZD lately. As much as I enjoy this community here, premature closure of threads and even bans seem to get out of hand, just because people have different opinions that don't conform to the apparently desired mainstream. People have the right to dislike parts or even the entirety of a Zelda game, we as fans should be able to deal with criticism and counter it if we think it's wrong.
If someone is on a minority opinion here, and the majority/you doesn't agree then you should be able to counter with good arguments and not with censorship. It's not that this guy has been just trolling for attention (that's an accusation made too quickly on the internet nowadays), there were some valid points we can discuss about, it's not that everyone else besides the OP has the same opinion here and that "everything is said".

Last edited:
well but i never really forgot how beautiful ocarina of time was (and partly wind waker) and about the great time i had with this game. Then i heard from the anniversary of Zelda, and read that probably the "best Zelda ever" is going to be released soon and i decided to give it a try and bought a wii and the game on release date.
That was your first mistake. You shouldn't hype a game. That will only give you unrealistic expectations. Your post reflects someone who was taken in by hype.

Since then ive played around 5 hours and just yesterday finished the first temple (which was very short somehow).

And i am asking you this: What the hell is this sh**?? Is that really zelda?? it hasnt made any progress in tha last 20 years?
It takes 15 minutes to get to the first dungeon in OoT, 30 in WW, and an hour or two in TP. So it has made progress. The lines between dungeon and overworld have been blurred. Also, isn't complaining about how it's not like a Zelda game but complaining about it not improving as well a contradiction? I'm just saying.

The graphics is worse then in Ocarina of time?! really?! Why?
You cannot be serious.
Ocarina_Playing_(Ocarina_of_Time).jpg
zelda.jpg
SS has more clear details and the edges are smoother. You might be able to say that the graphics aren't as well used as in OoT, but that's not what you're saying. You actually said that the graphics were a step back and they weren't.

The areas i have explored are a total joke, in the sky there is like 3 or 4 islands so small you can barely land on them..
You've got a point about the sky. However, the same cannot be said about the forest and volcano. Those areas are both expansive and compacted at the same time. There is a lot to explore, yet nothing seems all that far away. The problem with the sky is a lack of speed control. If I could make my bird go a lot faster, it would be perfect.

The "sky city" itself has like, dont know 20 NPCs? What kind of life is that when they are living just in that town for centuries havent seen anything of the earth land and still are just 20 people?
It wasn't advertized like that in the States. Maybe there was a translation error or the translator was think.

The areas on the earth (have just finished wood area and a bit of vulcano) are really small and very straight forward, i mean even the "worlds" in Super Mario 64 (where you have to jump through a painting) had more freedom of exploring and were almost as big as one of the (only!) three areas in this game?! Furthermore there is like no life on the earth, there are occasionally some enemies (who hold up their swords very awkwardly by the way, just to have a reason for the annoying motion playing?) but nothing else? No cities, no villages nothing? are there even quests down there, except going to the temple? Why is this damn whole in the sky then not directly above the temple?
It seems that you missed the point of adventure games: explore. You don't need towns or some NPC to hold your hand while you go sidequesting. I found at least 12 secrets in each area. They are all well hidden and are compacted throughout the areas. You have to pay attention to the world around you to get hints as to what's hidden. To be honest, I don't see why adding some annoying moron saying: "collect my chickens" could be an improvement to any game. Taking out the NPCs that can't take care of their own problems is refreshing.

Quests? Are there any? Have done exactly... one! since ive started the game. Wont spoiler here, because that might be the only quest in the game( something about a girl).. Main story line is more like a long manga or comic book for me rather than a quest line, there are no real quests in it just go here and there. Im playing skyrim too since 2 weeks and its like the complete opposite you can go to talk to anyone in the vast amount of towns and villages and almost everyone has something to say or do.
Yes, if you look for them. You'll even see dialogue balloons above the heads of those who have something important (like a side quest) to tell you. You've missed four so far. One pain is that most will not trigger until you complete the first one. Go to the front of the goddess statue in Skyloft. Near the gate, you'll see a woman that's looking for her daughter. You'll have to go around town and talk to villagers to figure out where she is. I think you have to find her before most of the other side quests will even activate.

I think the most annoying thing is really that you have nothing to explore, the sky world has really so few content it feels like it was orginally planned to be a screen saver in the nintendo offices. And the earth areas are just bad. just really bad. you never have the option to go either this way or that.. i hope this gets better during the game, though.
Considering that you didn't find out about the side quests, you've made it clear that you didn't even try to explore. I'm not trying to offend you, but you're statement contradict in a few ways.

I totally agree, you'd think in 20 years the game would have improved a lot more than just new controls.
Yeah, why don't they have us fly instead of ride a horse? And why don't they have Zelda save herself for once? Why don't they use cell shading in a semi-realistic fashion? Why don't they have enemies that require some actual thought to defeat? Why don't they characterize Zelda before she disappears so that we care? Why don't they do something besides the boomerang? Why don't they make the dungeon maps actually useful?

Or...more importantly: why didn't you notice these clear improvements? >.<

May I remind my fellow Zelda fans that when Oot first came out it was the cutting edge in gaming, the best graphics, the best story line, the largest overworld.
Same could be said of TP. Though maybe the graphics weren't quite the best, but still cutting edge. Really that's the only thing that isn't blowing you away in SS. The story line is great and the overworld is huge (the graphics are good too, but you don't care because they aren't in HD pointless-o-vision). Maybe you should get over the 3D-HDTV-holo-vision and try to just have fun. I sure don't care if a game shoves bloom in my face. If it's a bad game, tarting up the graphics will not cover that up.

Are you kidding me? Do you what games I own? I'm freaking poor, I have Cod 2(I got from a friend), Twilight princess, and some old n64 games, that's it. I made this account over a year ago for the purpose of getting hyped about SS. I noticed you used the phrase "The characters may be less, but at least All of them have life to them." BULLS***, THIS IS ZELDA, I don't want to have to say "well, at least we got this."

I was the biggest Zelda fanboy in the world, until I realized how much we're being cheated. ADMIT IT, Nintendo is focusing on casual gamers, they're not the hardcore gaming power house they once were.
Well, maybe you should stop buying games just because their in a series with an old favorite. Just a suggestion.

FL, Con-man doesn't really care about undertones. TWW's humor was an undertone. The original Zeldas had no tone at all. Con-man wants results, and he wants them ASAP. Better, realistic graphics. Better puzzles that aren't gimmicky or so based on environment. Enemies that don't require you to think so much as it takes to beat them into the ground, and more aggressive rather than passive enemies. And for God's sake, a story that isn't so ridiculously similar to every other entry in the series. We need plot twists, questing (besides the main quest to get the girl), overhauls, aggressively smart enemies who can do more besides parry every single swing you deliver, and more like that. It isn't necessarily a fanboy's request, but a wake up call.
The only thing you brought up that wasn't in SS is more aggressive enemies. I think the combat style makes up for that, as you have to think before you strike. It covers up how the enemies just stand there and ask politely if they can attack.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Whoah what did i miss here?

If people don't liked skyward sword, then fine. everyone is free to have an opinion. But here i am...clicking on the thread...and i see this big discussion...like we are in a court or something.

As for me, i enjoyed the game and im glad that nintendo made a zelda game that made use of wii motion plus. I wondered how they would pull this off...but they pulled it off somehow.

The areas really open up later in the game and become much bigger with plenty of opportunity to go this way or that.
As for quests there are plenty, you just need to put some effort into finding them. You know, like you had to in OoT.
The fact that there are so few people in Skyloft is explained literally at the very beginning of the game.
The graphics are FAR better than Ocarina of Time. (I'm sure you're trolling with this point)
And you don't repair your sword or shield with bugs and insects.

I would advise you to actually play more than a few hours of the game before you start making assumptions like these. I can respect it when people say that skyward sword is a bad game as everyone is perfectly entitled to their own opinion. However I cannot respect it when people switch a game on, see that it isn't Ocarina of Time and automatically hate it.

R

robotgirl

Woah...ease up, people. You know, it's not completely a bad thing if someone sees things they don't like in a game.
There's probably more people out there who find a lot of flaws in Skyward Sword. Acknowledging these- and not dismissing them as ludicrous (because some are reasonable)- is how you can make a great thing even greater in the future.

There's several things that were a bit too emotive unbalanced that were said, yes, but remember, the original poster still hasn't finished the game. Give the guy a chance. :) It won't affect anybody's else love of the game.

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
People are ignoring the positive changes and superb level design in favor of complaining about nitpicks, complaining with a lack of information and catering to more subjective ideas like better graphics. It's Nintendo's fault that they have a weak system but SS would have looked just as much similar on an HD console, and it is a beautiful game.

And stop comparing SS's mechanics to Skyrim, they're different genres of games that have different structures. Skyrim is just open-world exploration, while SS actually has level design.

Yes, SS has flaws, and they are flaws that need to be addressed in future titles, but the positives outweigh the flaws largely, and you aren't going to enjoy a game if you have negative preconceptions or are actively searching for things you don't like.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Everyone said:

I find it incredibly bizarre when people bring up Skyrim as some kind of trump card against Zelda.

Skyrim is a simplified, casual Elder Scrolls game. After Daggerfall, every subsequent Elder Scrolls game has become increasingly streamlined, accessible, and...well...casual. I would argue that this has led to some good and some bad developments, but as someone who's sunk a fair amount of time into Skyrim (over 24 hours by now, I think) and enjoyed every minute of it, I can tell you it is not very complex.

The Zelda franchise is, and always has been, casual. Most of the game industry is. If you want "Hardcore," give Daggerfall or maybe X-Wing a try; in the modern industry, you won't find very much that fits comfortably into that category. Consoles have always appealed to casual gamers--I'm among them--so I have to wonder why anyone would expect anything different from a console-exclusive title. And please don't denigrate casual gamers or their games. Games like Myst and SimCity, now considered classics, appealed to housewives in their time, and Zelda appealed to toddlers. The beauty of these games is that in addition to being accessible, they had depth that could also make them a go-to game for older, more experienced gamers. The Zelda franchise, like the Mario franchise, has always been like this.

This isn't off-topic; a driving criticism of this game, especially in this topic, seems to be that it isn't "hardcore" enough. Tough.

As for "realistic" graphics, there has never been a realistic Zelda game. They were aiming for realism with Twilight Princess, probably to appeal to a Western audience, but most of the characters were still caricatures. Ocarina of Time was not realistic beyond environments, if that--I wouldn't consider exaggerated features like anime eyes realistic, especially compared to what else was around at the time (Goldeneye, Resident Evil, etc.). I've long held that I wouldn't mind a realistic Zelda; I've recently set aside that opinion. You never see people demanding a realistic Mario title, and thankfully, we've never had one. Why do this to Zelda, a franchise that was never meant to be realistic?

Come on.

Skyward Sword has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience for me thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom