• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

This forum needs an archive section.

@Jimmu got me thinknig about this. If he wants to blitz old topics and replace them with essentially the same thing just all the old replies gone, that's fine, but the old topics should be moved to the archive section so we can see our old replies to these things. Not every topic would be archived, only the important ones so we can read them in the future and that content is not lost.

I am saying don't blitz old information like this without first preserving it in an archive.

I am aware there is a moderators only section that certain topics get moved into so the members can't read them but moderators can. This is totally different and not what I am talking about above.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I'd say all the GOOD Zelda theories need to be archived just so we know when someone pulls a BS move and claims it as theirs.

Mido

Version 1
@Jimmu got me thinknig about this. If he wants to blitz old topics and replace them with essentially the same thing just all the old replies gone, that's fine, but the old topics should be moved to the archive section so we can see our old replies to these things. Not every topic would be archived, only the important ones so we can read them in the future and that content is not lost.

I am saying don't blitz old information like this without first preserving it in an archive.

The threads I believe you're referring to can still be seen for all, albeit not conveniently per se. If anything, we could potentially archive standout threads with a subforum of sorts within the section much like World of Pokémon is for General Gaming. I do like the angle from @Shironagi's perspective as well in terms of Zelda Theory. While I never was, or likely ever will be a competent theorist for this series; perhaps archiving the cream of the crop could motivate others in their own theorizing endeavors. Overall, this is an interesting idea, but I don't have quite a solid stance on it myself!

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
As @Mido said, the replies to those threads are not hidden at all, you can find them in the WoZ forum still. Perhaps I should link back to them in the OP of the new threads?

I don't know if we really need a specific archive section if we can just lock old threads and maintain links between them.

Something that requires a lot of being on top of is having a read only forum (as in all threads within the forum be handled as a locked thread) and threads of a certain age without having responses after x months be put there. However it's a super disorganized method, as threads from all sections would essentially be dumped there, but it is possibly the only feasable way to really execute an archive on a forum. Would eliminate necroposting but, again, requires a lot of work and would be a pain to sift through. I think things are probably fine as they are. Most people don't really look at old threads at all.

Djinn

and Tonic
I always considered it to be relatively disorganized because so far we never really needed anything like that before. Outside of giveaway contests people mostly left old threads alone.

Most of the time when a forum has a archive section it is because they have specific things that should be saved for review but they do not want anything new being added to it. Like staff statements when they go beyond 30 or so days, or staff communication types of things like questions for the site that are answered and done. Normally this is handled by closing the thread and I never had any issue with someone else asking the same thing a month or two later.

Do we really have a lot of official type things on here that need super special preservation?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Well, I was thinking how on other forum sites, they have a "Junk" section, where all of the resolved threads, or the threads that haven't gotten a reply in 30+ days go, and the staff lock the threads, and move them there, so all of the new, and active threads are the only ones available for commenting. That makes things less cluttered

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom