• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Thinking in Your Online Handle

linkman8

True and Noble
On video games, internet forums, internet games, etc, I commonly name myself Bladesman. This causes other players to refer to me as Blade. From there, every once in a while I'll catch myself saying, "Come on Blade, we can do this," or "Fear the power of Bladesman." (In the game I say this, I mean) Typical stuff. :P

I've never really thought of myself by my username... I don't think. Maybe I have a little, but... :?

I have been thinking and thought of my username, usually when thinking about talking to someone online (or anywhere where my username would be used rather than my real name.) But that's in the context of talking online. :P

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I think it is funny to consider people's usernames compared to their real life name. When I got to know Lenora Dragon, for example, and learned her first name, it really threw me off for a while to not refer to her as LD. I guess I still do it sometimes though :)

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Well I can honestly say that I have done this before. Sometimes I will refer to myself as "Knowlee" although it's not my real name. :D I don't mention it out loud, but I do refer to myself as my online handle when I'm thinking to myself sometimes.

Keats

The Most Interesting Man
The only time I do this is when I'm on Live, and that's usually purposeful. I *have*, however, accidentally thought for a moment or two that I was one of my created online personas. It was kind of weird, but when I thought about it, that particular persona was basically who I really was, but with a different name and life.

I dunno, it's weird.

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
I don't really refer to myself as ShellShocker. Though, sometimes my friends call me Shelly just to mock me. I don't really mind. But I doubt I could get ShellShocker confused with Alex. :xd:

Vash03

Needz Moar.... Zelda, NAO
Well, I used this name and another in an mmorpg called Graal, and I'd play it for days at a time... and I used to think I was Kyo, or Vash... I was crazy.. good thing I quit playing.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Hmm, I've never done this in the "Real" world but...

My friends will commonly reffer to me as "Ark" (Not my real name, or anything close to it)
Because I use it quite alot as an alias in Games and other things.

Once, while I was filling out a form in English class (I can't remember what it was for), my frined referred to me as "Ark" once again, and I filled out "Arkv-" on the form.
I realised what I was doing and erased it.
I wonder what would have happened if I didn't realise...I would have looked like a complete idiot! >.<

But commonly, yes, I will refer to myself as my username. Call me weird or whatever, but i'm used to it! :lol:

S

Seizure

I've had this same exact username for almost six years now. I use it for every site and group I sign with. As far as the online world is concerned, I AM Seizure.

Having said that, I never think of myself as "Seizure" when out and about off the computer. There has only been one time in my life where someone seriously referred to me by that name, and it made me wince painfully, not to mention I died a little bit inside.

We gave each other our real names before meeting up, so I have no idea why he insisted on calling me Seizure, and referring to himself as Carrot. Oh well.

Bob Majinki

Deku Director
My online handle is the real me, except with a lot more privacy. Therefore, I technically do think in my online handle.

I once went to a LAN party and everyone called each other by their user names. They used them for everything. There would be drawings and they would put their usernames on the tickets. It was a little weird introducing myself as Emicon the whole day. o_O

Other than that, I have never called myself Emicon in real life.

PureLocke

A Hero of Time
Whenever I meet people from the Senshi-con forums(local convention, Alaska's only) I introduce myself as Locke (an actual name, as fans of British philosophers and Lost can attest) though once the get to know me I quickly just become Adem. I have not yet caught myself mentally caling myself by my username.

I have been known to answer to Monkeefun in real life. One of my friends thinks it's far too much to fun to say, apparently - or at least more interesting than my real name. I've thought it once in a blue moon, but usually I leave it to others...

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Oddly enough, I don't think I ever have. Though then again, saying my real name when thinking to myself sounds just as weird sometimes. I usually refer to myself as a shortening ("Rae") unless it's a pretty stressful situation.
Sometimes though, one of my friends likes to half-mock me with a variation of NorthApple... WestGrape. I'm not sure how that came about. And if it counts for anything, when starting Pokemon HG, I started writing "North" in as the character name, but then caught myself, deleted it, and wrote the usual "Rae" instead o_O
Thankfully I've never done that on any real-life forms or anything though xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom