• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Blow Your Mind

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Well, I have 3 in particular that just amaze me.

First one is that the colors we see don't necessarily have to be the same, meaning that what you perceive as red visually might be what I perceive as purple, but we'd both agree to call it "red" and walk away not knowing that we see completely different things. Reason for this is that there is no way of describing a color to somebody, you can just agree to call certain wavelengths the same name but what you see and what the other person sees will remain a secret, at least for now.

Second mind blowing fact I love is the theory of parallel universes, which contain exact replicas of oneself. Reason for this is that there is only a finite number of atoms in say 2 cubic meters of a space (your body) you have about 10^80 different ways you can rearrange those atoms (10 with 80 zeros after it). So if we have a big enough universe, or just infinite number of smaller ones you are bound to meet repetitions, exact replicas of yourself somewhere in the universe since you'll run out of ways to rearrange those atoms in a 2 cubic meters of space.

Now my last and favorite fact is that if the sun were to disappear magically, life would still survive. There are small organisms (extremophiles) on the bottoms of our oceans that live on chemosynthesis, a way of staying alive that requires no sunlight at all and never has. Which means they wouldn't even get affected at all if the sun disappeared, even more amazing is that if the sun were to just disappear the earth would just keep on going out in space because of its velocity since there would be no sun to pull it back to the center every time so technically, the earth would be a spaceship with life down under its frozen oceans traveling through space which would eventually get caught up by a star, possibly unfreeze and be able to harbor life again.. in a different solar system.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I'm with Curm and Ez. The universe is just absolutely nuts.

[video=youtube;36FLoiWNEfc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36FLoiWNEfc[/video]

Last edited:
F

frostfern

One thing that blows my mind is that you can go your entire life up to a certain point with one opinion and one seemingly insignificant occurance can completely shatter and rebuild said opinion into something else completely. Example: I have always, for my whole life, thought Oklahoma was the worst state on the planet even though this is the only state ive ever lived in. I thought it was ugly with its flatness and bipolar weather. But then I go to the wildlife refuge and discover a place I had yet to go there and it was one of the most beautiful places I had ever been. I felt like I was in a scene from LotR. From that moment on, Oklahoma has taken permanent residence in a small part of my heart.... my mind had been blown that day!

DarkLink7

I make my own fate!
The fact that since all matter was created at the big bang and matter cannot be created nor destroyed and that we are that very matter, making us 13.7 billion years old.

Um......... careful what you're saying.

Mankind's only about 8,000 years old, I believe.

Um......... careful what you're saying.

Mankind's only about 8,000 years old, I believe.

Well, the living beings that are mankind aren't 13.7 billion years old, but the matter of which we are composed of is 13.7 billion years old.

Another thing that blows my mind is the parallel universe theory that states that a universe is created whenever there is more than 1 possibility, a universe for each possibility, thus making for universes where changes range from very small to very drastic. So if this is true, somewhere, there is universe where WWII didn't occur, one where the Titanic didn't sink, and billions of trillions of other things. I could go on for days.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom