• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

Sounds painful. Have you considered visiting a doctor?

Nope.. It's Anxiety flashes.. Or when I'm in general uncomfortable..

Most of my life now is in some kind of pain.. There is no "painless" part of it..

Emotional, Physical, and Neurological.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Spent an hour trying to explain loneliness and romanticism to an aromantic buddy of mine and eventually just had to paste this wall of text
Good lord it's not just hugging it's watching a movie all curled up at 3 am it's going on a picnic in the evenings and feeling the breeze it's making cookies together and making a huge mess it's sharing an umbrella in the rain it's squishing into a booth and sharing a piece of pizza and a bottle of coke it's everything

Idk it's past midnight and I had a draining day don't mind me.

Spent an hour trying to explain loneliness and romanticism to an aromantic buddy of mine and eventually just had to paste this wall of text
Good lord it's not just hugging it's watching a movie all curled up at 3 am it's going on a picnic in the evenings and feeling the breeze it's making cookies together and making a huge mess it's sharing an umbrella in the rain it's squishing into a booth and sharing a piece of pizza and a bottle of coke it's everything

Idk it's past midnight and I had a draining day don't mind me.

I'm trying to figure out by Forum Archives why Octorok was giving the boot... Yet the 2 last Shoutbox records fail to load..

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
short meeting with the director of graduate studies today and full orientation tomorrow afternoon. i already registered for classes in april so today largely just a waste of gas to go check in.

trigger warning; pseudo-philosophical drivel
the genuine significance is that this thing i've been planning for and wondering if i'd ever get to attempt since i was fifteen is actually happening. the master's degree experience and being conferred the most prestigious of fellowships (along with the physician-supervised administration of anxiety medication) has removed any vestiges of fear or doubt that i'm intellectually equipped for the next five years. but as david hume reminds us, the only true predictor of results is past experience. i know how much work i have in front of me, but i don't yet understand what that means.

i am unable to process what reading 750,000+ pages with a critical eye feels like because i've never done it. i know what my dissertation is going to look like (at least in the vaguest structural terms. no grand ideas associated with historical inquiry survive contact with archival research). i don't yet know if i'm ready to write it. i chose my committee based on the sole criteria that they will show no mercy. i will emerge a professional or be cannibalized in the attempt. the only thing i know for certain is that there is no reward in being too afraid to try.

Ernest Hemmingway said:
The shortest answer is doing the thing.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
That's quite specific. Why so specialized?

the nature of graduate research. in order to ask meaningful research questions that further understanding of any given topic, it has to be pretty granular, especially in areas that overfished, so to speak (e.g. the French Revolution). That my dissertation topic (a comparative analysis of divorce culture in the major cities of north carolina from 1885-1920) is so broad speaks to the relative underdevelopment of the historiography of that place and time. My master's thesis dealt with contextualizing a text written by a Spanish missionary in the early 1600s, which was significantly more focused in scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom