• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

I never realized how integral a part the use of sarcasm is in every day social interaction until I met a person who has trouble detecting it in conversation. Said person is a fellow employee: older male, mid-forties. He claims to have a high I.Q., he's a chess champion, and he's quite intelligent overall, a claim against which I am not contesting (for sake of clarity). He also has an autism spectrum disorder that makes it difficult for him to pick up on certain social cues such as sarcasm.

This tends to lead into many awkward situations in which my coworkers and I have to explain to him the many ever-present not-so-serious and/or lighthearted moments of every single conversation. Most of us have tried our best to just drop sarcasm and farcical speech from conversation altogether. Such a feat, however, seems nigh impossible without extensive training and conditioning. Sarcasm is just too essential a tool in speech.

...which really, really sucks, since he's like one of two coworkers with whom I converse on a regular basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctorzuko

Timelord Firelord
Just bought Toon Link and Sheik amiibo, now I will own 5 amiibo. This has officially gone farther than I originally intended. Pretty soon I'm gonna be lying in a pile of amiibo...rubbing them all over my face.

I love how the clerks at the gas station down the street think I'm a stoner. Okay, I do buy a lot of junk food on a nightly basis. And yeah, I am often seen wearing pajamas that appear to have a small logo on them that resembles Hannah Montana. And YES, I may often appear to be lethargic and overly relaxed. But I am not a stoner. Ugh. I hate social stereotypes.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
h7lrcV9.jpg

How many things wrong can you find with this?

\v/(^3^)\v/ $Ching Ching Chicka Ching Ching$
[BABYMETAL Bassist] BOH is my homeboy. Haha! ;)
It's not good to dwell on stupidity, people. So... Get over it. Simple.

27ジョーカーソン

LOVE AND PEACE
I love how the clerks at the gas station down the street think I'm a stoner. Okay, I do buy a lot of junk food on a nightly basis. And yeah, I am often seen wearing pajamas that appear to have a small logo on them that resembles Hannah Montana. And YES, I may often appear to be lethargic and overly relaxed. But I am not a stoner. Ugh. I hate social stereotypes.
What's wrong with them thinking you're a stoner, huh? Got a problem with stoners???

Nahh jk. the funny thing is no one would assume i'm a stoner just by looking at me. Like i actually think i have a fairly decent fashion sense, and i feel like that's definitely not a stoner stereotype. Plus i often act very energized and charismatic, and people are always surprised when i tell them. Guess this all just proves you don't judge a book by it's cover

I'm in Utah right now with my sister ahhhhhhhhh
Ughh tell me about it. I have to LIVE there pretty soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Have been having issues with internet all week here which is annoying since it has made me mostly stick to phone data (which is only 5GB a month for me) but hopefully it will be fixed soon and I'll be back to normal activity online.

With Uni starting on Feb 24th I'm going to really have to start managing my money better since I'll be working much less and life is still expensive. Have to pay Rent, Travel, Car Costs, Phone Bill, Insurance, Food and whatever else comes up. Additionally, I need to be saving money aside every week for my year studying in Japan (2018). I'd better sit down and work out a budget. Was getting stressed about how I was going to pay for Uni amenities and then I realised that I can add it to my FEE-HELP with my subject fees and won't have to pay it back until I start earning over $53,000 a year. Also, I have a little over $1,000 which I'll be getting from the government next week to help get started with Uni (I can spend on whatever I want), so that will help take off some stress for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom