• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

I hate to be "that guy," but here I am posting in here again.

A cashier at my job just past away the other night due to complications of liver cancer. This shocked everyone to the core, seeing as she appeared to be just fine prior to her leave of absence two weeks prior...just her cheerful, likable self. Us coworkers were just made known of her diagnosis a week prior, only to be alerted to her death Sunday night.

Death is a frightening thing, and you never know where it lurks. Like my coworker, no one expected my brother to check into the hospital for a routine dialysis site declotting and never coming home—having died from a subarachnoid hemmorhage days later, at 2:05 PM on May 17, 2014. Scary. ****.

It really makes one want to drop all the BS and be nice to one another for once, huh? Grief can be *****, and there's six stages of it. I, myself, am still experiencing it. Of the six stages, regret, or bargaining, is the worst. I regret not being able to help my brother in any way, shape, or form, and I regret not speaking to my coworker with so much as a simple greeting. I'm am not afraid of dying, but losing someone is easily my Achilles' heel. I wouldn't wish losing someone close to a person on my worst enemy.

Ganondork

goo
I hate to be "that guy," but here I am posting in here again.

A cashier at my job just past away the other night due to complications of liver cancer. This shocked everyone to the core, seeing as she appeared to be just fine prior to her leave of absence two weeks prior...just her cheerful, likable self. Us coworkers were just made known of her diagnosis a week prior, only to be alerted to her death Sunday night.

Death is a frightening thing, and you never know where it lurks. Like my coworker, no one expected my brother to check into the hospital for a routine dialysis site declotting and never coming home—having died from a subarachnoid hemmorhage days later, at 2:05 PM on May 17, 2014. Scary. ****.

It really makes one want to drop all the BS and be nice to one another for once, huh? Grief can be *****, and there's six stages of it. I, myself, am still experiencing it. Of the six stages, regret, or bargaining, is the worst. I regret not being able to help my brother in any way, shape, or form, and I regret not speaking to my coworker with so much as a simple greeting. I'm am not afraid of dying, but losing someone is easily my Achilles' heel. I wouldn't wish losing someone close to a person on my worst enemy.

I wasn't planning on replying to you, but what you said about the stages of grief really speaks to me. I lost my grandmother a little over a month ago, and I'm still going through a lot of depression because of it. This is the first time that death has really affected me like this, so I can sympathize, though I would be lying to you if I said I understood the nature of your relationship with your brother.

I've read many of your posts in this thread, but never felt like it was my place to say anything to you. I hold a lot of respect for you due to how you've been carrying yourself. I don't understand some of your struggles, but I feel great admiration to see that you are able to get through each and every day. Sometimes it takes a lot of strength to even be able to do that.

I don't know what it means to be depressed. Like, truly depressed. I feel much grief sometimes, but I don't think it's nearly comparable to some of the things you've described in the past. But that doesn't mean I can't sympathize. I don't pity you, as I don't think you say these things for that reason. I don't really know what I'm trying to say here, honestly.

You probably won't ever read this, and if you do, I don't anticipate much of a response, but know that I hold a deep respect for you. Not just for your ability to make it through each and every day, but also because I've seen just how brilliant you can be. I guess there isn't much of a purpose to this post, and I apologize for that, but I do feel great admiration for you.

Spero che troverete pace, amico.

Dan

Do-do-do time to come to the depressing thread to get a little bit of sympathy, print it out, put it into a blender then inject it into my blood stream, god I love this stuff... hang on a tick... huh the Unhappy thread, why these feelings of strong teen angst, have suddenly vanished and all because a word was changed. Thank you so much, this will stop all the misuse of this thread.

Anyway I'm legit UNHAPPY that all my posts are read as "I'm telling a joke". Actually I shouldn't of posted that line but **** it I'm bored as a Christmas tree.

Sheik

:the:
I feel like the terms overrated and underrated should be used sparingly, or at least when it comes to things like entertainment media. In a world that's basically a jumble of clashing opinions, I don't quite feel it can be justified to say "these people think too lowly of this certain Zelda game (or movie or musical artist or whatever it may be)" when that could very well be... just how they think of it. And maybe nothing will change that.

How can we know that the general public thinks too lowly of that thing? How can we know that you simply think too highly of it?

I don't really know what I'm getting at, but using those terms sort of sounds like placing your opinion as fact.

I guess I could understand some forms of their usage, like saying "this certain thing is underrated because people didn't realize the full experience of it" (like maybe saying Wind Waker is underrated because its artstyle distracted people from realizing the excellence of its story or combat, et cetera- which isn't really the case today, but you know, example). Or maybe saying that thing is overrated because a single great aspect blinded them from seeing the flaws. But for the most part, I feel like those terms are sort of thrown around mindlessly. But that's just my opinion, you know. Maybe I'm just not getting something.

...Guys, I am legitimately afraid that I don't make sense.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I feel like the terms overrated and underrated should be used sparingly, or at least when it comes to things like entertainment media. In a world that's basically a jumble of clashing opinions, I don't quite feel it can be justified to say "these people think too lowly of this certain Zelda game (or movie or musical artist or whatever it may be)" when that could very well be... just how they think of it. And maybe nothing will change that.

How can we know that the general public thinks too lowly of that thing? How can we know that you simply think too highly of it?

I don't really know what I'm getting at, but using those terms sort of sounds like placing your opinion as fact.

I guess I could understand some forms of their usage, like saying "this certain thing is underrated because people didn't realize the full experience of it" (like maybe saying Wind Waker is underrated because its artstyle distracted people from realizing the excellence of its story or combat, et cetera- which isn't really the case today, but you know, example). Or maybe saying that thing is overrated because a single great aspect blinded them from seeing the flaws. But for the most part, I feel like those terms are sort of thrown around mindlessly. But that's just my opinion, you know. Maybe I'm just not getting something.

...Guys, I am legitimately afraid that I don't make sense.
You make complete sense, I literally hate these terms especially when used in contexts where the person is like "[said thing] is overrated because everyone likes it". Hate is actually a harsh word, it's more so a big pet peeve of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom