• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I just learned about cheese caves in Missouri, all started from a shortage of food in the 1970's, the US government subsidized the dairy industry to have them make more dairy.

Well, we now have 1.5 billion pounds of cheese all being stored, some being aged, and so on in caves in Missouri. 300 million pounds of that cheese is owned by the USDA, while the rest is privately owned.

So, for fellow cheese lovers out there, to the cheese caves!

Also, I love cheese if you can't tell.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Just on a whim, I came back here, to some really nice Birthday messages. And quite frankly, it made me smile, considering that I have not been particularly active.

Thanks everyone.

So much has changed since I really last seriously frequented here. 2017 was just, some of the best and most busy years of my life. And so much has changed since then.

I broke up with my ex girlfriend. I got engaged to my best friend, and am now married. We have the cutest dog in the world in our family now. My wife and I have stable careers, we are saving up for a house together.

But yet, even after so much has changed. I experience the same feelings that I did when I first came around these parts. It's quite humbling, and amazing that this community is still together and thriving.

Thank you.

Holy ****, so yesterday I was helping someone on discord figure out what sort of moth they photographed. I found the family rather quickly, we sort of looked through some genera, settled for one. Couldn't figure out species. They put it up as an observation on iNaturalist just to genus level, which was the smart thing to do since we were unsure of species. SOMEONE WHO SPECIALIZES IN THIS FAMILY JUST COMMENTED THINKING ITS AN UNDESCRIBED SPECIES IN THAT GENUS

I know jacksquat about moths tbh, but holy hell thats cool if true. Don't know if they collected the moth but I guess this entomologist is asking for a specimen. :eyes:

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Holy ****, so yesterday I was helping someone on discord figure out what sort of moth they photographed. I found the family rather quickly, we sort of looked through some genera, settled for one. Couldn't figure out species. They put it up as an observation on iNaturalist just to genus level, which was the smart thing to do since we were unsure of species. SOMEONE WHO SPECIALIZES IN THIS FAMILY JUST COMMENTED THINKING ITS AN UNDESCRIBED SPECIES IN THAT GENUS

I know jacksquat about moths tbh, but holy hell thats cool if true. Don't know if they collected the moth but I guess this entomologist is asking for a specimen. :eyes:
That means that you get to decide it’s name, right? Name it after me.

That means that you get to decide it’s name, right? Name it after me.
Will be following this closely but I would think the person who actually observed it would have priority if it is indeed a new species. Still pretty cool; this is why programs like iNaturalist are great because like a lot of casual observations could be people unknowingly observing something new that scientists would otherwise have no idea about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom