• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I had to explain to someone how to impedance match when attaching speaker cabinets to a tube amplifier.

For context, since tube amps have output transformers, they need a proper load attached to them to function safely and correctly, and the impedances of the amp's output and the speaker cabinet have to match, because ultimately, the outputs are tapped off at the output transformer.

What this means is that there's certain arrangements of speaker cabinets you can attach to one amp depending on the outputs you have.

If we have two 4Ω outputs, two 8Ω outputs, and one 16Ω output, that doesn't mean we can attach five speaker cabinets all at once.

No, that means we can attach these speaker cabinets in this arrangement, and this is where remembering your high school physics is helpful, because when summing resistances or impedances for speakers and attaching them to an amp, they sum in parallel, not in a series.

This means that two 16Ω cabinets together will read to the amp as one 8Ω load.

So here's how it breaks down:
  1. One 4Ω cabinet to the 4Ω output.
  2. Two 8Ω cabinets to the two 4Ω outputs.
  3. One 8Ω cabinet to the 8Ω output.
  4. Two 16Ω cabinets to the two 8Ω outputs.
  5. One 16Ω cabinet to the 16Ω output.
This means, at most, you can attach two speaker cabinets to an amp, provided the impedances match.

Now, one guy asked how many amps he can attach to his Marshall JVM210H, a two channel 100W tube amp. I explained what is allowed in attaching speaker cabinets to the amp, and he wondered how professionals have walls of speaker cabinets.

First of all, a lot of the time, those walls of speaker cabinets are empty cabinets, and even if they're using multiple cabinets, there's not just one amp powering them, there's several amps powering them.

Kerry King of Slayer has three 100W Marshalls he uses, and they're powering six speaker cabinets.

So I said to the guy, "If you want that huge stereo sound, get another JVM210H and two more cabinets."

But considering the expense, I have a feeling he won't like my answer, even though it comes right from the amplifier's owner's manual. A lot of people don't read owner's manuals for some reason.

What's on my mind right now is me wondering why society tolerates racist hate crimes from the radical-Right and feeling like I'm going to be violently ill and I don't need to be a person of color (I'm white) and/or targeted by the radical-Right to feel disgusted with the words and actions of those Right-Wing white supremacists.

This is how bad things are in the United-States of America right now:

Thank God I'm Canadian and living in Canada, I can't imagine living in the states at the moment, with crackpot radicals everywhere, all those hate crimes against people of color and LGBT people, women losing their right to bodily autonomy and reproductive freedom, all those acts of violence against protesters, Trump still walking free and getting away with his crimes and so on and so forth. The United-States of America need to clean their own backyard before lecturing other countries about morality, humanity, decency and human rights. The United-States need to clean their own backyard before claiming the moral high ground and assuming they're in any position to play world police. That's the pot calling the kettle black.

I've read an article last week about how the suicide rate has increased in the US and the American continent in general since the beginning of the pandemic and since more people saw some of their relatives fall prey to white supremacist groups and the Qanon cult (either being murdered or being assimilated into a crackpot radicalized group through brainwashing and indoctrination). It's because of things like this. People start thinking "I just want to kill myself and end it all because why would I want to share a planet with those hate-filled radicalized crackpot lunatics." If we want to do suicide prevention, we need to come up with solutions to stopping the radical-Right from making people's lives worse.

To anyone who is feeling suicidal at the moment (I myself don't feel suicidal but I know that this kind of stuff can be depressing), there is help and you can call a suicide helpline, they'll help you or refer you to someone who can help you. I know these are dark times, but it has to get better at some point. Just hang in there and let others help you.

Take care,

Kat.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
My mom withheld information about the circumstances regarding an event that happened 7 or 8 years ago. I even asked about the circumstance in question when it happened and not only did she lie to my face about it, but multiple people went on to tell me that I knew everything they did about what happened. Last night once the circumstances were revealed by accident she insisted that she didn’t even remember lying to me.

I was so disgusted with her that I packed some things and walked out the door. I’m currently at someone else’s house, and I’m planning on leaving town for a night or two to clear my mind. I can’t even be in the same building as her right now.

Pokémaniac13

Triforce Champion
My mom withheld information about the circumstances regarding an event that happened 7 or 8 years ago. I even asked about the circumstance in question when it happened and not only did she lie to my face about it, but multiple people went on to tell me that I knew everything they did about what happened. Last night once the circumstances were revealed by accident she insisted that she didn’t even remember lying to me.

I was so disgusted with her that I packed some things and walked out the door. I’m currently at someone else’s house, and I’m planning on leaving town for a night or two to clear my mind. I can’t even be in the same building as her right now.
I’m sorry to hear that. I hope everything turns out fine.

Pokémaniac13

Triforce Champion
What's on my mind right now is me wondering why society tolerates racist hate crimes from the radical-Right and feeling like I'm going to be violently ill and I don't need to be a person of color (I'm white) and/or targeted by the radical-Right to feel disgusted with the words and actions of those Right-Wing white supremacists.

This is how bad things are in the United-States of America right now:

Thank God I'm Canadian and living in Canada, I can't imagine living in the states at the moment, with crackpot radicals everywhere, all those hate crimes against people of color and LGBT people, women losing their right to bodily autonomy and reproductive freedom, all those acts of violence against protesters, Trump still walking free and getting away with his crimes and so on and so forth. The United-States of America need to clean their own backyard before lecturing other countries about morality, humanity, decency and human rights. The United-States need to clean their own backyard before claiming the moral high ground and assuming they're in any position to play world police. That's the pot calling the kettle black.

I've read an article last week about how the suicide rate has increased in the US and the American continent in general since the beginning of the pandemic and since more people saw some of their relatives fall prey to white supremacist groups and the Qanon cult (either being murdered or being assimilated into a crackpot radicalized group through brainwashing and indoctrination). It's because of things like this. People start thinking "I just want to kill myself and end it all because why would I want to share a planet with those hate-filled radicalized crackpot lunatics." If we want to do suicide prevention, we need to come up with solutions to stopping the radical-Right from making people's lives worse.

To anyone who is feeling suicidal at the moment (I myself don't feel suicidal but I know that this kind of stuff can be depressing), there is help and you can call a suicide helpline, they'll help you or refer you to someone who can help you. I know these are dark times, but it has to get better at some point. Just hang in there and let others help you.

Take care,

Kat.

Imagine the horror of the poor journalist(s) who had to right about this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom