• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I don't think that correcting the idea of the earth being 6,000 years old is irrelevant to the statement. Because that assumes that evolution didn't happen, and that humans didn't evolve to be smarter over time. Which is what led to more and more advanced in fields such as technology. Saying we survived 6,000 years without AI assumes that we've been the same intelligence throughout that time and have also only endured several thousands of years of life vs the actual millions of years between the first humans and now. A lot less happens in thousands vs millions of years. Millions of years is a long time for people to recognize issues that happened in history and to try to fix them with AI/technology.

Someone isn't necessarily problematic for holding beliefs they do. But that also doesn't mean that you can't find their beliefs misguided and want to question them. Creationism denies a lot of science which in general can be problematic, even if an individual isn't.

There are people I love who hold beliefs that have evidence to the contrary, and I will point that out to them sometimes if the topic is brought up. That doesn't make me like them less. I don't think it's being mean necessarily to point out logic that is flawed when Chevy made a specific statement bringing up his beliefs, rather than using generalized language. If someone purports a belief like that it is still spreading that idea even if that wasn't the main point of their statement. Chevy and others have brought up their religious beliefs in other ways that were solely about just faith and no one took issue those times. So it's not about faith as much as it is challenging a certain viewpoint that is inconsistent with tons of evidence. If someone thought the earth was 6,000 years old because of a book they read that wasn't the Bible, and they didn't believe in god, I would still see questioning their belief as a non-issue. In this instance it just so happens that religion ties into history/geology/archeology/etc.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
I don't think that correcting the idea of the earth being 6,000 years old is irrelevant to the statement. Because that assumes that evolution didn't happen, and that humans didn't evolve to be smarter over time. Which is what led to more and more advanced in fields such as technology. Saying we survived 6,000 years without AI assumes that we've been the same intelligence throughout that time and have also only endured several thousands of years of life vs the actual millions of years between the first humans and now.

i don't think there's any strong evidence that the first humans were neurologically distinct from us in a way that would have a big impact on cognitive benchmarks. Its theorized that at some point before the evolution of humans some abberant change to the brain resulted in the ability for us to use language, though thats also contested. the origins of language are one of the biggest unsolved mysteries in human history. The reason humans are so successful technologically speaking is also a mystery, though language is one of the premier theories. In any case, a vast majority of human technological development only occured within the past 10,000 years or so. Before then, there probably wasn't a big gap between us and other technologically successful animals.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
i don't think there's any strong evidence that the first humans were neurologically distinct from us in a way that would have a big impact on cognitive benchmarks. Its theorized that at some point before the evolution of humans some abberant change to the brain resulted in the ability for us to use language, though thats also contested. the origins of language are one of the biggest unsolved mysteries in human history. The reason humans are so successful technologically speaking is also a mystery, though language is one of the premier theories. In any case, a vast majority of human technological development only occured within the past 10,000 years or so. Before then, there probably wasn't a big gap between us and other technologically successful animals.

Humans probably wasn't the best choice of word there. I meant what evolved into humans, like neanderthals. Brain size has changed with evolution which changed intelligence as well.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
Humans probably wasn't the best choice of word there. I meant what evolved into humans, like neanderthals. Brain size has changed with evolution which changed intelligence as well.

cranium size has increased compared to in protohumans and this may have played a role in our technological development, although its still theory. There are animals with much larger brains than us and there are animals with higher brain to body ratios than us. while evidence shows cranium size has probably grown a lot as proto humans evolved into humans, that doesn't necessarily correspond to higher cognitive abilities.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
cranium size has increased compared to in protohumans and this may have played a role in our technological development, although its still theory. There are animals with much larger brains than us and there are animals with higher brain to body ratios than us. while evidence shows cranium size has probably grown a lot as proto humans evolved into humans, that doesn't necessarily correspond to higher cognitive abilities.

From what I've seen before, research seems to indicate that the growing size of the brain has corresponded to intelligence throughout our evolutionary history. This site talks about it, but it's rather lengthy and has a lot of scientific jargon.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I think it was on this thread I mentioned before that I kept accidently forgetting to eat meals. I've been trying my best to be more consistent with that, but I'm having a really hard time.
My basic problem is I've come to the realization lately that I'm actually dangerously underweight. You know how the Body Mass Index takes your height weight age etc and measures it on a scale of 1-100 with 95% being dangerously overweight? I'm at 1%. That's... not good. And no matter how much I eat and try to gain weight, I just... can't. I've been the same weight for like 5 years. And I know some people are like "hrm de hrm wish I had THAT problem" but it really is a problem. My doctors wanted me at 90lbs by the end on 2018. I'm 78lbs. I can see my ribcage. That's not healthy. I just realized I accidently ate barely any food again today and I think I'm going to have to seriously try and focus on fixing my diet. Wish me luck.

i had problems like that in elementary school to the point my homework weighed more than me

despite all the efforts from my parents with like weight gaining supplements and stuff nothing really worked until a side effect for some anxiety drug i was on inadvertently increased my appetite when i was in the eighth grade. not saying drugs are the answer but if you have stamina to exercise or do something that could naturally increase your appetite, i think that may be a vital step.

just keep in mind that when youre a chronic undereater, your stomach capacity is actually quite small so it doesnt take much to feel full. small snacks throughout the day may help you more than a massive dinner.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
i had problems like that in elementary school to the point my homework weighed more than me

despite all the efforts from my parents with like weight gaining supplements and stuff nothing really worked until a side effect for some anxiety drug i was on inadvertently increased my appetite when i was in the eighth grade. not saying drugs are the answer but if you have stamina to exercise or do something that could naturally increase your appetite, i think that may be a vital step.

just keep in mind that when youre a chronic undereater, your stomach capacity is actually quite small so it doesnt take much to feel full. small snacks throughout the day may help you more than a massive dinner.
When I was younger they wanted to put me on steroids because I was so small, luckily they didn't.
You actually make a good point with having several small meals. Everywhere I go I get a kids meal and I can never even finish, lol. Since I can't eat a lot at once it's probably a good idea to eat a little... a lot.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
When I was younger they wanted to put me on steroids because I was so small, luckily they didn't.
You actually make a good point with having several small meals. Everywhere I go I get a kids meal and I can never even finish, lol. Since I can't eat a lot at once it's probably a good idea to eat a little... a lot.

I might not be the best help here since I have had the opposite problem my whole life of overeating/binging and never really feeling full. But I agree with the small snacks/meals thing. When people have been starved for a long period of time doctors introduce food to them slowly and in small portions. Because like Frax said, your stomach can't handle large amounts when it's not used to it.

Maybe you could try finding some calorie dense foods you enjoy and try eating those throughout the day. It takes 3,500 calories to gain a pound. You can calculate how many calories it takes to maintain your current weight here (https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/calorie-calculator/itt-20402304), and that can give you a guide to around how much more you should be eating to consistently gain weight. Though of course you won't be able to up your caloric intake too much starting out. Since it takes time to adjust to eating more/less. But maybe since you said you forget to eat a lot, you could start a food diary to keep track of what you eat. And keeping up with the diary will help you remember to eat.

Sorry if all the advice is unwanted. I just know the struggle of weight issues and wish I had known some of this info earlier in life.

Good luck with trying to better your diet!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Top Bottom