• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I am interacting with a naturalist who I kind of admire because one of his specialties is a bug I wanna study, but aaaaa I feel like I'm coming across as an idiot and the waits between replies is letting my brain do all sorts of stupid things. At least we're not talking about that bug, just a fly, but stillllllll aaaaaa

I am stress. Why must I be stress?
just remember that everyone recognizes and appreciates passion. be yourself and your passion for entomology will come through and be appreciated

just remember that everyone recognizes and appreciates passion. be yourself and your passion for entomology will come through and be appreciated
Yeahh it worked out. I think I overexplained myself cuz I do that but uhh I think it might be okay.
I do need to uh, *sigh*, go through my photos and try to put more up on my flickr cuz that's where the interaction occurred. But he went over and liked some stuff on my twitter right after so :eyes: (they were retweets tho cuz I'm not brave enough to make my own posts)

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
This is going to sound weird but I was thinking about this for my story idea.

We live in 4 dimensional space-time, but we can't actually see objects in 4 dimensions, we can only see 3 dimensional space. For example, a tesseract, or hypercube, is a cube represented in 4 dimensional space, but it's not something we can actually observe visually. String theory posits there is something like 10 dimensions involved with how the universe functions. There are some theories though that operate under the assumption that the universe as we know it can function with just 5 dimensions. Anyway, what I'm getting at is even if we somehow managed to percieve 4 dimensional space, it wouldn't actually be a breakthrough or anything, we'd only be finally gaining insight into the dimensional space we already live in. And so I was thinking, hypothetically, what if each dimension works in a way where only space in the dimension below the one that is techinically being occupied can be observed, besides all the lower dimensional spaces too. Like, we are in 4D space, but we can only observe 3D, but we also can observe 2D and 1D. So in 5D space, which would be the next dimension above ours, you wouldn't be seeing reality in 5D, you would see objects in 4D, and then 3D, 2D, and 1D as well.

We live in 4 dimensional space-time, but we can't actually see objects in 4 dimensions, we can only see 3 dimensional space. For example, a tesseract, or hypercube, is a cube represented in 4 dimensional space, but it's not something we can actually observe visually. String theory posits there is something like 10 dimensions involved with how the universe functions. There are some theories though that operate under the assumption that the universe as we know it can function with just 5 dimensions. Anyway, what I'm getting at is even if we somehow managed to percieve 4 dimensional space, it wouldn't actually be a breakthrough or anything, we'd only be finally gaining insight into the dimensional space we already live in. And so I was thinking, hypothetically, what if each dimension works in a way where only space in the dimension below the one that is techinically being occupied can be observed, besides all the lower dimensional spaces too. Like, we are in 4D space, but we can only observe 3D, but we also can observe 2D and 1D. So in 5D space, which would be the next dimension above ours, you wouldn't be seeing reality in 5D, you would see objects in 4D, and then 3D, 2D, and 1D as well.
have you ever read william sleator's the boy who reversed himself

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.

Add in to all this that we three dimensional beings can only observe three dimensional space in two dimensional cross-sections.

After all, are you able to see all sides of an object as well as the inside of it, all at the same time?

No, only a 4th dimensional being is capable of doing that.

To make this make more sense, a two dimensional being can only observe their two dimensional world in one dimensional cross-sections. But we three dimensional beings can see all sides of a square, as well as inside of a square all at the same time.

You ought to read Flatland by Edwin Abbott Abbott, crazy read.

yeah consider you as a third dimenional being observing a piece of paper, a two dimensional universe. you see all of it as a whole, length and width are simultaneously observable

and now just move the dimensions higher and consuder a fourth dimensional being obseving a three dimensional universe in the way you observe a piece of paper. they will see length and width and height simultaneously. or something like that... if you like mental exercises

maybe flat earthers live in the fourth dimension

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
yeah consider you as a third dimenional being observing a piece of paper, a two dimensional universe. you see all of it as a whole, length and width are simultaneously observable

and now just move the dimensions higher and consuder a fourth dimensional being obseving a three dimensional universe in the way you observe a piece of paper. they will see length and width and height simultaneously. or something like that... if you like mental exercises

maybe flat earthers live in the fourth dimension
Careful, I've listened to many a Tool song and tried a similar mental exercise....

1657156576441.png

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Mortal Kombat: *includes the Aztec god of the sun, war, and sacrifice with a very mythologically accurate appearance, personality, and godly attributes, right down to his fatalities*

Also Mortal Kombat: "Let's just change his name from Huitzilopochtli to Kotal Kahn for no reason, lol."

Kotal Khan (MK11) by L-Dawg211 on DeviantArt

Last edited:
Reactions: Dio

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Baba Deep Singh is what I'm thinking about.

I'm not from India, nor do I practice Sikhism, but I can respect the hell out of a man who, at 75 years old, still could wield a sword effectively, and got decapitated, yet carried on fighting.

Sources say he held his sword in one hand, head in the other.

Reactions: Dio

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
This week we're expecting a heat wave starting tomorrow! I have a busy week this week so I must be prepared. Cap, bottles of water and shorts of course. Can't wait for this week to be over and it just started!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom