• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
A girl at my church today was trying to introduce me to her mom during lunch and I thought it was kind of funny. The conversation went something like this-

Girl: "Mom this is [name]. She's the coolest, she's so funny!"
Me, crouched at the corner of the table like an awkward chinchilla slowly removing removing slices of turkey from my lunchable: "............. hi?"

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
A girl at my church today was trying to introduce me to her mom during lunch and I thought it was kind of funny. The conversation went something like this-

Girl: "Mom this is [name]. She's the coolest, she's so funny!"
Me, crouched at the corner of the table like an awkward chinchilla slowly removing removing slices of turkey from my lunchable: "............. hi?"
you weirdo double removing slices of turkey!!! haha

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
The race is on a rain delay and I have work tomorrow, hmmm.... And if they just postpone it to tomorrow, idk if I'll be able to catch any of it depending on when they run it. How late am I willing to stay up

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
Knowing you, ima say 3-4 am is your limit, and by then the race will definitely have been postponed but I wouldn't put it past you to stay up that late regardless

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Knowing you, ima say 3-4 am is your limit, and by then the race will definitely have been postponed but I wouldn't put it past you to stay up that late regardless
I hate that this was more or less my exact thought process. They took it off tv entirely and they're making us watch Law and Order:SVU which they'll bump off the channel if and when it gets back going. It's not even 8:30 yet so yeah I can go a bit longer.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Why dont governments make compulsory static bike centres where people go and cycle to generate power...

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I have a 12km commute to work. With how ridiculous inflation has gotten, I bought a bike a couple weeks ago and decided to stop driving as much as possible. So I've biked to work and back almost every day for the past 2-3 weeks and while I've definitely felt it in my legs here and there (haven't really biked much since high school), it is also highly rewarding and I genuinely enjoy it. From Friday-Sunday I covered around 72km which thinking back is really quite good.

So I've made a goal for myself for the summer. My city has a perimetre freeway that is around 78km long. My goal is to cycle the entire length of that road in one go with only taking a few small breaks for food. Aiming for a time of between 5 and 6 hours. Perfectly achievable I think and a great way to spend a day off.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Because my inner paleontology nerd needs to come out...

I always find it funny when people think that fossilized dinosaur bones are the actual bones of the animal in question.

It's not.

The clue is in the word "fossil" which means all of the organic material has been replaced by minerals.

Fossilization can occur in various ways, but whether we're talking permineralization, casts and molds, authigenic mineralization, replacement and recrystallization, adpression, or in very rare and exceptional cases, fossilization of soft tissues and organic microstructures, rest assured, it's not the actual organic matter that was there, that has long since decayed.

People also find it funny when I point out that most of the mounts in museums aren't actual fossils (which are indexed and reserved for scientific research, with some exceptions like Sue) but plastic casts of the actual fossils. Simply put, it's much safer to display a plastic cast made from the actual fossil than it is to display the actual fossil.

First, you want to leave the actual fossils for study and research.

Second, actual fossils are really fragile, so much so that mere sneezing can destroy thousands of hours of work, and something priceless.

Also, there's no extracting DNA from dinosaur fossils, either, or anything older than 6.8 million years, because DNA has a half life of 521 years, meaning, if you do the math, under the most pristine of conditions, it'll take DNA 6.8 million years to completely decay.

Now, if we remember, all non-avian dinosaur fossils at their youngest are 66 million years old. There ain't no DNA left, no one's ever squeezed blood from a dinosaur fossil, at best, all we've found is molecular microstructures that were preserved in exceptional conditions.

Furthermore, the products of DNA, such as proteins and stuff, aren't the same thing as DNA, something I've pointed out in news outlets that really should know better.

So we haven't found ancient hominid DNA either, at best we have proteins made during DNA transcription, or traces of that.

This problem is further compounded by morons who think mammoths are dinosaurs.

Not every ancient, extinct paleo-fauna is a dinosaur. A dinosaur is a specific categorization of avemetatarsalians that share a common ancestry between Triceratops and modern birds.

That means all birds are dinosaurs, but not all dinosaurs are birds, and anything that doesn't share this ancestry can't be called a dinosaur.

Which means, no, Mosasaurus isn't a dinosaur, nor are plesiosaurs or pterosaurs, either. Pterosaurs are more of a sister group to dinosaurs since pterosaurs are also avemetatarsalians, so I kinda see why people confuse them with dinosaurs and call them "flying dinosaurs."

Mosasaurs, though, actually are part of the order, Squamata, which contains your true lizards and snakes, and their ancestry shows that they share a common ancestry with varanids/monitor lizards.

Sorry, lot of this was on my mind, carry on!

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I just listened to an interview with Todd Howard about Starfield and the future for Bethesda, and he was like "We just started pre-production on Elder Scrolls VI"

What? WHAT? I mean I know they were full on into working on Starfield, but it's insane to me that they decided to tease ES6 4 years ago, but they apparently weren't even actively working on since from the sounds of it. It's actually horrible. It's probably not far-fetched to anticipate that by time ES6 does release, we'll have waited 15 years for it lol. We're already at 11 years...

If you havent heard about this already, the original creators of the Elder Scrolls are now independent devs working on their own game project called The Wayward Realms, and it'll probably capture the spirit of the ES series better than whatever Bethesda and Todd Howard does with ES6, since the series has so clearly become a cash grab to them at this point

Website and trailer can be found here https://www.waywardrealms.com/

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
If you havent heard about this already, the original creators of the Elder Scrolls are now independent devs working on their own game project called The Wayward Realms, and it'll probably capture the spirit of the ES series better than whatever Bethesda and Todd Howard does with ES6, since the series has so clearly become a cash grab to them at this point

Website and trailer can be found here https://www.waywardrealms.com/
Omg I didn't know about this, thank you for linking it! And yeah, sadly it's come to that. It's such a shame because there is so much potential from all the lore rhat's been crafted in the world of Tamriel. There are locations I know I'd like to see and other fans would also find cool.

Anyway this project looks very promising from the description of what they are trying to capture. Also they have a library page of in game lore books which is so, so cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom