• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Mikey asked a pretty easy question.
...but I didn't ask any questions
Okay. I'll throw the first stone.

@Mikey the Moblin You can't just hate an entire genre of games.
That's inhumane!
it's not that simple
I don't "hate RPGs" and I don't think dunkey does either. If you're a fan of dunkey, maybe you've seen his video where he responds to criticism over his review of Octopath Traveler. If you haven't, the TLDR is that someone basically was like "dunkey, why do you play and review games you don't even seem to like?" To dunkey, being a reviewer isn't about giving every game a 9.5/10 "it really makes you feel like a gamer." He's not afraid to be vocal about things he doesn't like, and the goal of reviewers like dunkey isn't to be objective and analyze games and how their developers created them, although he does foray into objective analysis at times, usually when talking about 3D mario games. No, dunkey has likes and dislikes just like everyone else. It just so happens that his likes and dislikes tend to align with mine a lot of the time- this doesn't mean we're right or you're wrong, it means dunkey is a reliable resource for me to gauge whether or not I would like a game. This is the point of criticism and reviews, not to sell games or get clicks (cough IGN). If dunkey doesn't like it, I probably won't like it.

I tend to be vocal about my dislike of RPGs, but it's not a blanket hatred of every game in a single genre. Specifically, RPG is a really broad group of games, and I enjoy tons of games that get tagged as RPGs, like Dark Souls or Earthbound or Pokemon. No, I don't hate RPGs, I hate certain game design elements that get overused in RPGs like dev intended grinding or random encounters. They're archaic design and I don't think they have any place in video games in the modern era, yet they persist. Combat scenarios tend to get overly complicated and repetitive. I also can't stand cringe/edgy dialogue, voice acting, or story, and RPGs tend to be full of that (as do animes). I don't know why dunkey doesn't typically like RPGs, but I know why I don't typically like them. Other people have a higher tolerance for the archaic game design or the cringe than I do, and that's okay. I've said this before, but it's okay to like bad things. I'm sure there's plenty of bad stuff that I like, like the triforce fetchquest in wind waker.

If you like dunkey for his content, that's great. I think he's entertaining too. If you like dunkey as an accurate reviewer, that's great too. It's not an all or nothing deal, though. You can subscribe to him as a content creator whilst having your own opinions on what kind of games you enjoy. This all applies to schaffrillas productions as well, although he tends to be a lot more objective in certain videos than dunkey usually is. Like what you like and own it, man. Nobody else here is ashamed to like Twilight Princess more than Ocarina of Time, why should you be? At the very least, it's cool that you're open to different points of view, even if you're a bit too open to them, like to the point of forming your entire personality around what other people think.

4bfb5b1476.jpg

I guess it's a good thing I've been taking outdoor photos for my final photography project in advance last month... It's due at the end of the week so procrastinating would have really sucked this time around. Now I can just enjoy this atmospheric spring rain. ♥

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
4bfb5b1476.jpg

I guess it's a good thing I've been taking outdoor photos for my final photography project in advance last month... It's due at the end of the week so procrastinating would have really sucked this time around. Now I can just enjoy this atmospheric spring rain. ♥
you god damn lucky son of a-enjoy the weather

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom