• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
A friend of mine was saying the Mayan Calander was interpreted wrong, and that in light of new knowledge, it actually ends in 2021. Like people really need any more paranoia... I'm sure somewhere there is someone who thinks we are definitely in the Biblical "end times" (but haven't we been in the "end times" for centuries at this point? :suspicious:)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The government let pubs re-open recently as part of easing lockdown for the country... But now they're complaining because drunk people aren't following social distancing rules...

What did they think was going to happen when people got drunk?

Muppets.

That fat wanker boris still won't open the gyms either. People in there will take care and with member limits and distanced machines it's gonna be safer than supermarkets and pubs for sure.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
I don’t think my hair has ever been this long in my life, and it’s so crazy to see! haven't been able to get it cut in forever due to the quarantine -_-

EOFMJkt.jpg

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Turns out Ernest Cline is writing a sequel to Ready Player One.

I wonder if he'll rely entirely on flat, uncreative references to media he consumed in his childhood again, or if this time he'll do more than say "Thing existed in the 80s. Let me describe thing and then skip over the actual protagonist interacting with thing because I don't care, I just want you to know that I like Monty Python and Dungeons and Dragons."

I also wonder if this time he'll have female characters who exist in their own right and not as 'badass' charicatures who turn out to be insecure damsels looking for a man who will generously overlook their chubbiness (oh, sorry, Rubenesque-ness) and give their sad lives meaning.

I also wonder if he'll have a message that isn't completely undermined by the entire book like he did last time when the message was 'Don't waste your life consuming pop culture' but also the book is nothing but a loose string of mostly random pop culture references the author treats with absolute adoration, and the protagonist becomes the richest, most powerful person in human existence precisely because they spent their life consuming pop culture (and not even the pop culture of their own era, but someone else's, further undermining the apparent point by having the protagonist not even engage with his contemporary culture).

Seriously, the 'lowest point' for the protagonist in Ready Player One was the part of the novel when he got a job, started working out, and wasn't spending his days watching old cartoons and playing Atari games from sixty years ago.

Ernest Cline is an idiot and his books are terrible.

The usual lump on my knuckle has had me paranoid all day, so I decided to take some pressure off with some good ol' bloodletting.

Okay, stabbing myself in the hand probably isn't the best thing to do in that situation, but whatever.

I've been told by a few people now that my issue is potentially intravascular, and that a vein grew in the wrong place.

...I'm actually feeling less anxious afterwards. Neat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom