• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
This past Christmas my uncle gave me his framed painting of General Robert E. Lee (the confederate general during the American civil war) on his horse, Traveller. I hung it up in my bedroom but my mom has been somewhat vocal about her not liking it. She’s clearly uncomfortable with it but I don’t want to hide, for lack of a better term, from my southern heritage.

I can understand wanting to preserve something of historical and sentimental value, but it's also important to keep in mind that the Confederacy was not a good thing and they were motivated primarily by a desire to preserve the slave trade.

I don't think it's wrong to want to honor your heritage, but I feel like there's a responsibility to try to acknowledge that the Confederacy isn't something it's okay to look at with blind admiration.

I know I'm just some random guy on the internet and my opinion doesn't really matter much here, but I do think displaying a painting like that should only be done if you can do it in a way that makes it clear that you don't condone what they did or what they believed, even if you might have some sort of cultural heritage that relates you to them.

TL;DR: Maybe hang a bigger, cooler painting of Ulysses S. Grant or MLK next to it or something. (:

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
i hope america will be ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom