• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

The main side effects from my meds seem to have passed. The dizziness and drowsiness is gone, and I can easily fight off the tiredness now.

I think the positive side of them has started, because I've been less moody and I've been in quite a pleasant mood the last few days :)

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I normally concur with Shadiversity on most topics dealing with swordsmanship, but he constantly says he sees no purpose for lower guard positions, reasoning that he can slip his legs and attack in the high line, saying that this isn't in the manuals.

It's clear to me he hasn't received instruction or read the manuals, because he'd then realize the purpose of the guards, and realize that Medieval guard positions aren't covering a line anyways.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I normally concur with Shadiversity on most topics dealing with swordsmanship, but he constantly says he sees no purpose for lower guard positions, reasoning that he can slip his legs and attack in the high line, saying that this isn't in the manuals.

It's clear to me he hasn't received instruction or read the manuals, because he'd then realize the purpose of the guards, and realize that Medieval guard positions aren't covering a line anyways.
If the leg got cut off youd be a bit hindered...

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
If the leg got cut off youd be a bit hindered...
Slipping the legs is all over sword fighting manuals, and Medieval sword fighting guards aren't guards in the sense they cover a line, they don't.

For example, Dizzi, this play from Fiore.

sw2h-m2-s6.jpg

Quoting the manuscript:

When a sword flies for your leg
Make a downward blow to his face or around to his throat:
His arms will be wasted more quickly than his head,
Because the distance is manifest for a shorter time.

If your opponent strikes to your leg, withdraw your front foot, or pass backwards and strike downwards to his head, as shown in the drawing. With a two handed sword it is unwise to strike to the knee or below, because it is too dangerous for the one striking. If you attack your opponent’s leg, you leave yourself completely uncovered. Now, if you have fallen to the ground, then it is all right to strike at your opponent’s legs, but otherwise it is not a good idea, as you should generally oppose his sword with your sword.
-Fiore dei Liberi, Fior di Battaglia, MS Ludwig XV 13.

Fiore specifically says that strikes to the leg are risky, as they leave you open like this.

Last edited:
Gonna buy a bastard sword with my next paycheck. Got a really fancy one in mind.

I'm sure if I asked my mom's permission, she'd say no, so I'm not asking her lol.

I've always wanted one and now I can finally buy one now I'm 18. At least it's not drugs or alcohol :shrugs:

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
If it's made out of stainless steel, I can tell you it's only for decoration.

If you plan on actually using it, full tang and carbon steel is what you want.

Kult of Athena is having a sale on all of Hanwei's stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom