• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I just read quite an interesting story from a book in TES: Morrowind. It weird to think a book in a video game could pique my interest. It was called "A Game at Dinner". It's actually just a copy of a letter that began being reprinted and circulated. A spy from the House Dres, working under someone referred to as "Dark Liege Dhaunayne", had infiltrated the inner circle of the Prince of Morrowind, Helseth. Summerizing, this unnamed spy kept a close watch on everything the Prince did. One day he noticed the Prince met with an infamous Alchemist who reeked of substences known to be poisonous.

Soon after, all of Helseth's advisors were invited to attend a dinner that evening, so the spy suspected that someone was going to be poisoned. Out of caution, he refrained from eating any of the food, so he pretended to eat. After the dinner, a tureen of broth was brought to the table, and the guests complained that they were already well fed and could eat no more. Helseth then told them about the Alchemist, and that he did indeed make a potent poison, but also an antidote, and that he had poisoned everyone at the table by lacing the silverware with the poison. The broth in the tureen was the cure.

In the end, it was an attempt to weed out those most disloyal to him. It turned out an advisor named Burgress was a spy hired by his sister, he was the only one to drink the broth. It actually turned out the broth was the poison, and Burgress died a horrible death that the spy who wrote the letter couldn't retell. It was also very interesting that Helseth seemed to already know that there were spies among his advisors, something that the spy for the House of Dres had even suspected himself.

It was a very interesting read, and even more so considering that according to the publisher who reprinted it, Helseth eventually came across reprints of the letter and had books written and sent out to many libraries throughout Morrowind. Now I'm considering looking more into other books in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom