• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

Thank you so much to everyone who sent me well wishes. I really appreciate every one of your kind words and take them to heart<3 I never expected to lose my dad at this young of an age, but I plan to make the best of the short amount of time that we have left together. Trying to stay strong but it’s extremely difficult.
I know how hard it can get, and sometimes you'll even fell like life isn't worth living, but do know as long as you cherish those good memories you can always find hope. If you are ever feeling down, don't hesitate to hop in the shoutbox. I'm there most of the time, and you can always use my shoulder to lean on, along with everyone else here. We're here for you Legend, so be a legend like your namesake, and show world how strong you are. :hug: .

Squirrel

The Rodent King
AVENGERS ENDGAME SPOILERS :ezlo:
Okay so like the time travel is a little funny but it doesn't create paradoxes and the movie follows it's own logic up until literally the very last scene. But there's two big problems with it that bother me.

So here's a summary of the time travel in Endgame based solely on the description given by The Ancient One and Professor Hulk, but I'm explaining it more thoroughly. The movie does not actually follow this logic completely but I'm taking this description to be more accurate than the events that actually happen:
So if you go back in time, it creates a parallel universe that poofs out of existence when you come back which is why they can't do any harm and don't have to worry about running into themselves or anything. If they grab something and then come back, while the rest of the universe disappears, as long as that object came through the quantum realm with them, it doesn't disappear. The only exception to this rule is the infinity stones. Removing any one of them will cause the parallel dimension not to disappear. And then if they try and go back in time again, they quite specifically go back to that same parallel dimension they've created until all the infinity stones are returned.

So here's the first thing that's bothering me. They remove Gemora from the parallel dimension and then Cap takes back all the infinity stones, causing that dimension to disappear. When they removed the infinity stones, the dimension never went away and Cap must have gone back to the same dimension when he went back the second time. Now that dimension should be gone. So if they go back in time again, and enter at a point that is after they removed Gemora, will she be missing or will this count as a new dimension kind of like all the enemies respawning and all the items resetting in a game? Could they theoretically have more than one Gemora if they did this multiple times?

And then the final point here that really bugs me is that if this is possible, doesn't it actually solve Thanos' problem? They'd be able to get infinite resources from "back in time" but every time they go back to their own dimension, all of the things they took would reset.

The other problem I have is the one time the movie breaks it's own time travel logic. It's when Cap returns as an old man. He totally could have gone back to live out his life with Peggy and grow old and then return through the quantum realm. But what happened instead is that he lived out his life to the time he had traveled back from and actually met everybody there. There's two explanations for this.

1: When he traveled back in time, he went to the same dimension as the one he had started from and then lived his life up until the point he came from. This is how time travel works in most movies such as Back to the Future. The movie specifically states through dialogue that this is not how time travel works.
So lets's assume it's the second option then.

2: Cap actually stayed in the second dimension. The second dimension should have it's own Avengers and Thanos and everything so the final scene may be from within that 2nd dimension. This creates a whole host of problems, though. The dimension created by time-traveling is supposed to poof out of existence when the time-travelers leave. So if Cap never leaves, the other dimension actually stays. And then this should create a looping effect. If this scene actually is within dimension 2, then we just saw 2nd dimension Cap leave for dimension 3. This will continue forever. The only way this could be stopped is if, in fact, dimension 2 poofs out of existence when Cap dies. (I don't think this is the case and I'll get to why later.) If that scene really does take place in dimension 2, however, dimension 1 Avengers will never get to see Cap again and his shield will never be passed to Falcon. Also, only people left behind in dimension 2 will keep it existing, not objects. If Tony accidentally left any item of his in dimension 2 when they tried to get the infinity stones the first time, the dimension would never disappear even when the infinity stones were returned. And that even calls into question what counts as an item from dimension 1. Is the air in Tony's lungs not from dimension 1? I think if leaving something behind would cause the dimension not to disappear, then breathing would also cause it not to disappear. So clearly objects left behind don't matter. I know they're planning a "Falcon and the Winter Soldier" show which, given this logic, must take place in dimension 2 since Cap never returns to dimension 1. I assume Cap is going to die of old age soon, so in order for this show to exist, it must mean that the only thing that can keep dimension 2 open is a time-traveler from dimension 1, even if they're dead. Dead time travelers don't count as objects left behind.

So, to end that little rant, the thing that bothers me is that there is, in fact, an explanation for the final scene with Cap, but it's a terrible explanation (see "Dead time travelers don't count as objects left behind").

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Work sucks at the moment. We're extremely understaffed and everybody is snapping and *****ing at each other. Fortunately Tony (my love) always cheers me up. I've got a week off over three weeks and he also took that same week off at his work. So no matter how understaffed we are at work, I'm going to keep them to it. My planned holidays were already confirmed at the beginning of this year when we had to fill in the forms. So I'm not going to cancel it!

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I think the lady at the towel shop was disgusted by my phenomenally greasy, stinking hair. I was like, yes, maybe that's why I need a towel??!?! Maybe ?!?!??!?!?!??!?

A very annoying girl from my high school years just contacted my sister wanting to get in touch, and part of me only wants to use her to get in touch with a true friend of mine.:( thankfully I have true friends here, so I don't need to go down that path. :) I always felt like it was a bad thing to use friends like that.

Last edited:

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Took a 35-question multiple choice exam in approximately 5-6 minutes. An easy test format combined with a subject (Supernovae and Black Holes) I used to read up on as a hobby makes for an easy experience. Go figure.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
So many things. My boyfriend hinted about us going to live together in the near future. I'm so not against it. Also my work is on my mind. So many people turn in sick because of all the stress and stuff.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Hope all goes well with my meeting with T tomorrow. I'm ridiculously excited, to say the least. She's one of the few people I can call a true friend. And it's been so long. But I'm extremely anxious about the fact that she's been so out of touch recently. I think I have to bring that up, both to check in on her and also because I think our relationship feels kind of unstable because of this. I'm scared that she might be mad at me for something, and that's why we haven't talked. Or if I'm just not that important to her anymore. She has so much else in her life, unlike me. So many other people while I'm super clingy to the few people I feel like I have. I'll never forget that I called her from the mental hospital after a major meltdown and she was there by my side in a heartbeat. And the way she smiles, and the way we always laugh together.

I just love her so much I sometimes want to scream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom