• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

funnier6

Courage~
Why do the cowlicks on the right side of my hair have to be so resistant to flat irons they never behave it drives me up the gotdam wall.

I wake up almost every morning with my hair poofing like a roosters tail and the only thing that helps is to take a hair dryer to it, though everyones so used to it I rarely bother unless it's epically bad.

Sutittaja

Freezing chill
Nice, congrats! What are you going for if you don't mind me asking?
I am going to study biology (or life science, I am not sure which word to use). Good thing about biology is that it has a lot of branching paths to take, such as microbiology, cellbiology or hyrdology, so I have a lot to choose from.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I had jury duty recently, and it made me think about all the positive attributes of our legal system. We generally have a right to trial by jury, due process, the right to face your accuser, and judicial decisions that tend to be based on precedent. Looking at some of the other legal systems in the world makes you appreciate it more.

I guess I'm just saying, I appreciate it enough that I'm always happy to serve jury duty when the opportunity arises. :)

Reactions: Dio
4a1bb7bd37fefe40efbb8fc33cca3c42.jpg

Thinking that Ramlethal Valentine is the cutest and scariest character in a fighting game i've ever played

latest

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Today? Mostly stuff we've purchased. I received a bunch of stuff I purchased earlier, and ordered a couple more things.

I got a capacitive stylus for my Nintendo Switch, because I don't like using my fingers. It feels a little more precise. I may also use it with my phone, because I don't like the way a flat surface feels under my fingers. Using such a device for more than a few minutes makes my fingers feel rubbed raw, slick, and kind of gross. I've been meaning to get one for a while, but the Nintendo Switch using a capacitive touchscreen and not coming with a stylus was what pushed me over the edge.

I also got a replacement stylus for my original Surface Pro that I gave to my Grandma (my Dad got me a newer model). I lost the original pen, and she really liked the idea of writing on the screen, so that's for her. Chances are that I will find the original pen soon after I give her this one, though. The funny thing is, she has the same taste in computers as I do. She doesn't like Apple at all, and she says a touchscreen is fine for some things (like pinch to zoom, etc), but doing everything on it would make her arthritis act up (and rub them raw). She also likes the pen input.

My Mom has been hee-hawing around about getting a new computer for a month now, because the computer has started turning itself off every 30 minutes (I suspect due to overheating due to the fan failing). Her old one is something my Dad got for me in 2010. The thing that annoys me and kept me procrastinating for a year is that it's still better than anything new in our price range in many ways, but it's wearing out. It has 6GB of RAM, a 500GB HDD, and a quad-core i7-720qm processor. Most of the computers that we can afford are worse than this one in one way or another. In fact, a brand new computer with specs I'd consider a reasonable replacement for this machine would still be $600-$700. Most of the new computers in the price range she was looking at would have gone down to 4GB (which was barely enough RAM 7 years ago, let alone now), had cheap AMD CPUs, and a regular hard drive that was just 500GB. :/

Ultimately, after some research the best I could do was to get her a refurbished ThinkPad with 8GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD, and a i5-3320M for $320. So it has a bit more RAM, a smaller but much faster hard drive, and only a dual-core processor (but it's faster). I pushed her into spending the money on herself after watching her freak out trying to get everything done online in 10 minutes on a slow computer before it died from overheating, and then seriously talk about just doing the task at work (because she's too nice to ask to use any of my computers). It really feels more like a sidegrade than a true upgrade, though. In fact, I will probably try to repair the old machine myself once she's no longer depending on it. It could easily take a RAM upgrade and an SSD at some point if I can fix it. But I don't want to get her hopes up or risk her data, because there's a good chance I'll ruin it trying to repair it. I'm not good at laptop repairs. If it needs to be recapped due to capacitor failure or something, all bets are off.

This purchase was one I was putting off because it forces me to come face-to-face with a truth that I don't like to think about... technology improvements have slowed down enough that we're basically going to be running computers into the ground and then buying something that's more or less the same as what we have. It used to be that after 3-5 years, almost any computer you would get would feel like a vast improvement over whatever you were replacing. Now I'm struggling to afford replacements for decent machines as they fail, and being asked to seriously consider whether our needs allow us to "make do" with ridiculous limitations like 4GB of RAM.

Last edited:

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
A cool story, but I've been thinking that for a while now, lol. So many ideas, yet I seem to be struggling with myself when it comes to sitting down and just write them. Guess gaming's taken over for the past few months. I'll manage.

Ninja

Well well well
Finally got rain. Yaaay

What was it like? Is it as glorious as I remember? Did you stand out there and enjoy it, or did you stay inside and admire it?

We had a lowly rain cloud in Las Vegas yesterday, and my hopes were high for some precipitation action, but alas, I was disappointed.

What was it like? Is it as glorious as I remember? Did you stand out there and enjoy it, or did you stay inside and admire it?

We had a lowly rain cloud in Las Vegas yesterday, and my hopes were high for some precipitation action, but alas, I was disappointed.

Well i was working outside so i got all of its glory and got wet which i didnt mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom