• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

What's on my mind right now is that we really need to do something about all the violent hate crimes committed against LGBT people and other oppressed minorities/marginalized communities by the radical-Right because it has to stop, LGBT people and other minorities deserve justice and equality, trans/LGBT children deserve to be protected from being kidnapped from their loving and affirming parents and homes by the radical-Right and having a cishet identity forced on them, and the victims need to be vindicated:

Last edited:

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
Yesterday was the 30th Anniversary of Jurassic Park and it made me really melancholy. I think it made me face how much time had passed since my childhood and that I am a different person than back then. Sorry, don’t mean to make this post sad, I know there is a thread for that. It is more that I felt reflective on the life I have lived thusfar.

Yesterday was the 30th Anniversary of Jurassic Park and it made me really melancholy. I think it made me face how much time had passed since my childhood and that I am a different person than back then. Sorry, don’t mean to make this post sad, I know there is a thread for that. It is more that I felt reflective on the life I have lived thusfar.
I think melancholy and nostalgia is a beautiful thing, even if it's also often sad. I can relate.

What's on my mind today:
I'm a language teacher that teaches adults and for the past few months I've been trying to figure out why students have such a hard time opening locked doors. This might sound strange but bear with me for a second. I started to realize this when they were doing tests (and thus leaving when they've handed in the test). A lot of them (I have observed this in many different classes) just keep jiggling the handle and pushing/pulling over and over. None of them thought to rotate the turnpiece, you know the thing you turn to unlock the door. So naturally I needed to get to the bottom of this and checked in with my colleagues. They too have observed this behavior. They theorized that it may result from pressure and fatigue after having completed a test. I wasn't entirely convinced but had nothing to refute it with.

Today I found definitive proof that students cannot open doors. I was subbing for a colleague and, by the end of class, a student got stuck at the door again. They kept jiggling the handle over and over and calling me for help. I told them they had to unlock the door first. Student continues to jiggle the handle. I get up and gesture upwards. "Turn the thing above the handle". Student continues to jiggle the door handle. I actually had to walk over there and point at the turnpiece, and unlock the door for them. It was a regular class so it cannot be blamed on pressure or fatigue. This is going to keep me up tonight, I need to figure out why this is a thing.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I think melancholy and nostalgia is a beautiful thing, even if it's also often sad. I can relate.

What's on my mind today:
I'm a language teacher that teaches adults and for the past few months I've been trying to figure out why students have such a hard time opening locked doors. This might sound strange but bear with me for a second. I started to realize this when they were doing tests (and thus leaving when they've handed in the test). A lot of them (I have observed this in many different classes) just keep jiggling the handle and pushing/pulling over and over. None of them thought to rotate the turnpiece, you know the thing you turn to unlock the door. So naturally I needed to get to the bottom of this and checked in with my colleagues. They too have observed this behavior. They theorized that it may result from pressure and fatigue after having completed a test. I wasn't entirely convinced but had nothing to refute it with.

Today I found definitive proof that students cannot open doors. I was subbing for a colleague and, by the end of class, a student got stuck at the door again. They kept jiggling the handle over and over and calling me for help. I told them they had to unlock the door first. Student continues to jiggle the handle. I get up and gesture upwards. "Turn the thing above the handle". Student continues to jiggle the door handle. I actually had to walk over there and point at the turnpiece, and unlock the door for them. It was a regular class so it cannot be blamed on pressure or fatigue. This is going to keep me up tonight, I need to figure out why this is a thing.
its brain off-ness, i too observe this at work our juicer machine says PRESS they dont....they pulll breaking the machine....practically every weekk....

its brain off-ness, i too observe this at work our juicer machine says PRESS they dont....they pulll breaking the machine....practically every weekk....
That's a fair answer but at least with the juicer machine I kinda get it. It's not something you interact with all the time in your everyday life. A door though? I mean doors are pretty much universal. That should be muscle memory? How do they function? How do they exit their homes?

Fierce Deity Link

Knight of the Falling Moon
sometimes it feels like i have to surrender who i am in order to be happy. dont think my personality and faults are compatible with this ****
Sadly, too few of people will let you be your 100% authentic self. Most will marginlize, persecute, or ghost you if you reveal an aspect of your nature they do not like, cannot accept, or find off putting.

We are forced to wear masks like the people of Termina or else risk being a pariah.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
I have both good news and bad news to report.

the good news- there was a frog chillin’ on the glass of my slider door

the bad news- when trying to take a photo, I mistook a shadow in my backyard for slenderman and almost went into cardiac arrest

so, ya know. ups and downs. gives and takes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom