• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

TheGreatCthulhu

The Great Old One, Star Spawn, Sleeper of R'lyeh
People that get all uppity about semantics and turns of phrases.

For example, when I was discussing water cooled PC's, and I mentioned that the order of the loop doesn't make a difference, a lot of first year engineering students said it does.

When I retorted with, "Is 1 to 2 degrees Celsius really that much of a practical difference?" they started shutting up.

In fact, it's something that bothers me as a whole. I write an answer on Quora that keeps things succinct, but someone else has to add in a caveat that I already knew about and start an argument over something I clearly think didn't make a difference.

And it's always incredibly minor things. Obviously when I'm answering a question about computers, history, or whatever, I'm of course not going to condense an entire field of study or an entire industry down to an answer about a few paragraphs wrong.

Another example, people felt the need to point out to me, no less than ten times, that a 2L soda bottle isn't 2L, it's 20 fluid ounces.

-_- I CAN ****ING READ THE LABEL!!! People in my area call those 2L bottles, and have been forever. We know it isn't 2 liters exactly, but that's what we call it.

Not everything is a ****ing peer reviewed scientific paper, where you have to be precise.

Rant done.

TheGreatCthulhu

The Great Old One, Star Spawn, Sleeper of R'lyeh
Ok ao the water is in tube?? Ive never heardof water cooled pcs..
A water cooling PC sort of works in the same manner as the cooling system of a car, but instead of maintaining a temperature within a very narrow margin, we're mainly concerned with namely the CPU and GPU to not get so hot that they throttle themselves. Throttling means the part is slowing itself down so it doesn't kill itself due to the heat.

Typically that's north of 80ish degrees Celsius. Since a CPU and GPU don't have moving parts, you can technically run them as cold as you want to.

Water cooling is a perfectly sound way to cool a computer.

A heatsink works by a basic principle in thermodynamics, that heat moves from warmer objects to cooler objects. As the cooler object gets warmer, the warmer object gets cooler.

The heat is taken from the CPU, in the case of a heatsink, and then blown away by the heatsink's fan and the case's case fans.

In a water cooling setup, fluid is running from radiators, to cooling blocks that sit on the CPU or GPU. It works much the same way, except water is more efficient at this process of heat transfer. The water is then taken from the blocks to the radiators, where the heat is dissipated.

I use a water cooling loop All In One as my CPU cooler. It has a radiator, tubing, block and pump built in all one unit.

But other people, namely enthusiasts, build their own custom loops using certain fluids, different size radiators, specific reservoirs, pumps, and custom water blocks.

Like so:

Specifically, this water cooled PC uses hardline tubing.

There is drawbacks to water cooling. Specifically troubleshooting a broken part, and you have to be diligent about leaks, because while you may start off with a non-conductive fluid, it eventually becomes conductive over time.

There's also other esoteric ways to cool a PC.

I've seen dipping the whole system in mineral oil, I've seen dry ice, liquid nitrogen, and phase change cooling. Mostly the last three are with extreme overclockers, looking to overclock a chip as far as it will possibly go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom