• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

My sleep is all messed up, I haven’t been getting to sleep until around 5-6am. I’ve missed 2 weeks of college because of this.
Why can’t I have a normal sleep schedule like everyone else?

People in Japan tend to do this thing where they don’t directly say what they’re thinking so you have to work out how they really feel or what they mean. Obviously this happens elsewhere too but here it’s taken very far.

For example I was sitting with friends in a library after closing time and a staff member comes up and instead of asking us to leave she quietly mumbles in Japanese saying something along the lines of “hmm maybe I’ll be turning off the lights and I might leave in a minute”. Or one time I’m with friends looking for a capsule hotel to spend the night after missing the train home and instead of telling us we can’t stay because it’s full, the employee just stood there awkwardly staring at the screen saying “ummm, hmmm, let’s see” for a few minutes until we got the message and said it’s ok we will look elsewhere.

This is something that genuinely concerns me about going, especially when I may be hazy on the rules of a place.

I dont want to be a pain or make anyone's life harder out of cultural ignorance. I'm already concerned about needing directions since I've heard that people will walk miles with you to take you to the right place.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
This is something that genuinely concerns me about going, especially when I may be hazy on the rules of a place.

I dont want to be a pain or make anyone's life harder out of cultural ignorance. I'm already concerned about needing directions since I've heard that people will walk miles with you to take you to the right place.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just look up on the customs before you go and you'll be fine :pug:

It's not difficult to know where you are going when you have Google maps. The people are really helpful though, don't know about the walking for miles with you thing but they might.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just look up on the customs before you go and you'll be fine :pug:

It's not difficult to know where you are going when you have Google maps. The people are really helpful though, don't know about the walking for miles with you thing but they might.

Yeah ive been looking up the culture and what to do and not (like dont use your chopsticks to point at things and dont have them standing up in your bowl).

I heard a tale from someone who has been that they asked in a store for directions and the person closed the store and walked with them for about 20 minutes to take them to the right place.

They felt so guilty and uncomfortable but it'd be rude to stop them.

Reactions: Dio

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It's odd how fast things can change. Not even two years ago I could stay awake till 5 or 6am but now I can't even imagine I used to do that. I have to get up around 5.30am every day and even on my one and only day off a week I feel sleepy around 9 or 10 pm!

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I really want to learn Korean, but I should probably wait until I'm happier with my Japanese. Hangul seems really easy to learn to write compared to Japanese and apparently the grammar is somewhat similar to Japanese which is a plus for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom