• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things Only Music Lovers Understand.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Inspired by another post in the General Gaming section, I wanted to do a riff on that idea.

What's something that only music lovers, or musicians will understand?

I've got a few. Let me know if there's others that stick out, need explanation, or ones you want to add.
  • You find it weird when someone says, "I don't really listen to music."
  • Tuning instruments always sucks, but is necessary.
  • For singers, avoiding drinking soda or milk before a show.
  • Showing someone a new song, and they talk through it.
  • For my fellow metalheads, it's not enough to just sing the lyrics, you have to hum the guitar parts, basslines, and drum parts.
  • Finding a new favorite song and listening to it on repeat.
  • When you make a hilarious music related joke, and no one gets it because it's too obscure.
  • You have tested people with the most extreme and/or obscure music when they say, "Oh I love all music."
  • Only being able to start something until you've found the right playlist or song.
  • Driving without music feels wrong.
  • You have the burning need to listen to some music at least once a day.
  • When you leave the house, you check for the basics. Ya know, your phone, wallet, keys, and headphones.
  • Hauling music gear to shows or rehearsals sucks.
  • You've spent hours on Sweetwater looking at instruments or musical equipment you can barely afford or can't afford at all.
  • There's always room in your budget for symphonies, operas, or concerts.
  • For my fellow musicians, there's always a need for extra strings, picks, and cables of all kinds.
  • You understand the true value of duct tape.
  • You can easily spot when someone's miming playing an instrument in a movie or TV show.
  • You hate airline hand baggage restrictions.
  • When classical music's playing in the background, and you secretly want everyone to shut up so you can appreciate which Franz Liszt piece is playing.
That's the ones off the top of my head. Feel free to add to this.*

* = There's a pun hidden somewhere, see if you can find it. :)

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I actually fall into the category of "people who don't listen to music". My friends always get shocked when they reference songs everybody and their grandmother should know but I've never heard of it. However, I do enjoy singing. I'm part of my church choir and I'm constantly practicing songs throughout the week (I don't just sing hymns btw, I have a ton of other songs I actually enjoy).
Anyway, getting to the point one thing I notice some people who don't understand music don't get is the difference between pitch and notes. I tried to teach my sister to sing a while back bc she's not that great at it, and she assumed that whenever a song went up, she should just sing at a high pitch. Which I mean, isn't incorrect, but she was missing the notes. You can sing in a high pitched voice without singing the proper high note. If you lack a basic understanding of the different music notes, you end of listening to a song and just saying "higher. Lower. Higher. Super high." and never realizing that you can't just keep the same tone and go up to the same high. Not sure if that makes since, this was eons ago so my memory of it isn't that great and my music terms need some dusting.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I actually fall into the category of "people who don't listen to music". My friends always get shocked when they reference songs everybody and their grandmother should know but I've never heard of it. However, I do enjoy singing. I'm part of my church choir and I'm constantly practicing songs throughout the week (I don't just sing hymns btw, I have a ton of other songs I actually enjoy).
Anyway, getting to the point one thing I notice some people who don't understand music don't get is the difference between pitch and notes. I tried to teach my sister to sing a while back bc she's not that great at it, and she assumed that whenever a song went up, she should just sing at a high pitch. Which I mean, isn't incorrect, but she was missing the notes. You can sing in a high pitched voice without singing the proper high note. If you lack a basic understanding of the different music notes, you end of listening to a song and just saying "higher. Lower. Higher. Super high." and never realizing that you can't just keep the same tone and go up to the same high. Not sure if that makes since, this was eons ago so my memory of it isn't that great and my music terms need some dusting.
I get what you mean. A LOT of people are tone deaf, and have no sense of rhythm, which I always find odd.

I've dealt with more than a few "bass players" that their only qualification for being called a "bass player" is owning a bass.

Finding a new favorite song and listening to it on repeat.

Only being able to start something until you've found the right playlist or song.

You have the burning need to listen to some music at least once a day.

Driving without music feels wrong.

When you leave the house, you check for the basics. Ya know, your phone, wallet, keys, and headphones.

I have totally done all the above.

I will add: Not being ashamed to sing at home and public.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I absolutely LOVE the riffs, loops etc. When I love a song I always listen to the different instruments being used. Especially the guitar. I love fight fire with fire by Metallica and the guitar in it is amazing! Not only while listening to rock or metal. Also when the Shadows play. It's like you can hear the guitar talk and you want to listen what it says

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom