• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things Missing from SS

Don't get me wrong: SS is an amazing game. Maybe even my favorite Zelda. But after finishing it... I noticed that some long-held traditions of Zelda are completely missing from SS.

1) Great Faeries. They've been in every Zelda game since ALttP (one could even suggest that the four spring fairies in TLoZ are Great Faeries).

2) Fire/Ice Arrows.

3) Cuccoos. Every Zelda since ALttP... why couldn't they have been strutting around Skyloft?

4) Boomerang. Look, I know the Beetle would have made the boomerang useless, but the Bow makes the Slingshot useless and they put both of those in.

Did the absence of any of these make you sad? Was there any other mainstay of Zelda that SS did't include that you missed?

AwesomeTingle

Pure Awesomeness
There weren't cuccoos in Wind Waker...
And in an interview, they said they started development with a boomerang, but something else would be better. That something else became the beetle.

David

But you called me here...
Don't get me wrong: SS is an amazing game. Maybe even my favorite Zelda. But after finishing it... I noticed that some long-held traditions of Zelda are completely missing from SS.

1) Great Faeries. They've been in every Zelda game since ALttP (one could even suggest that the four spring fairies in TLoZ are Great Faeries).

2) Fire/Ice Arrows.

3) Cuccoos. Every Zelda since ALttP... why couldn't they have been strutting around Skyloft?

4) Boomerang. Look, I know the Beetle would have made the boomerang useless, but the Bow makes the Slingshot useless and they put both of those in.

Did the absence of any of these make you sad? Was there any other mainstay of Zelda that SS did't include that you missed?

1): The upgrade system made Great Faeries essentially obsolete. They weren't needed in the game, since Link could upgrade his wallets, pouches, and items on his own and even have some of the effects certain faeries gave Link through potions. Stools also replaced their healing properties (so much faster, available, and efficient). I did not miss Great Faeries in the game at all. I don't mind them in the game, but I don't care if they aren't.

2): Didn't really care about them. We didn't have them in TP, so I didn't really notice. There also wasn't really a function that would make them useful anyway. Not to mention, I didn't even really use my bow as much as I probably could have. Also, there wasn't any magic in SS, so it would have felt weird using them anyway.

3): They didn't appear in every Zelda since ALttP. Pigs replaced them in the WW, for example. I didn't really care about them much in the other games either. Sure they can be fun to try to kill, but I didn't really feel for them. Not to mention, those cat-things in Skyloft are demons at night, so you could say that they were a kind of replacement for Cuccoos anyway.

4): The Beatle literally replaced the Boomerang, and honestly, I like the change. Its more fun to control which way you were going with the Beetle, and it allowed for more puzzles that they could solve that the Boomerang couldn't on its own. As for your comment on putting the slingshot in SS, I disagree. I love the Slingshot, especially its upgrade: the Scatter shot. Both items were good for quick use and aiming. If I wanted to quickly stun an enemy, I went for the slingshot/scattershot. It was just more fun to use. Having both the Slingshot/Scattershot and the Bow in the game was a very good choice. If they put a boomerang and the beetle in the game, it would have felt different, as I probably wouldn't have used the boomerang nearly as much. Oh, and they added the Whip, which got rid of the close-range stuff that the boomerang normally did.

As for things that I missed in the game on my own, there really wasn't a whole lot that I missed. The game added so many things to the formula and the game, that I didn't really feel like anything was missing. If anything, there was more added to the game than what was taken out.

-They should have put some place like Hyrule Field to connect Lanayru desert,Faron woods and Eldin Volcano

-Dark Link as a boss.I was hoping to fight Dark Link in a similar battle from Ocarina of Time,but with motion controls it would have been awesome

-Volvagia as a Boss

-More flotings islands with more things to do in them

-More people outside of Skyloft.I didn't liked that skyloft was the only place with a lot of people,some other places had some people to talk with,but it was never in a really save place(no enemies) and it doesn't feel like Zora Domain or Goron City,etc

-The Red and the Blue Tunic could have EASILY been in the game,but for some reason they decided to give us those earrings and this Dragon Scale,I was never expecting this kind of failure in a Zelda game

-The Harp is really terrible,you collect songs just to play theme ONCE and you can't use them like in Oot,MM,WW,ST and LA,you can use the harp anywhere,but its useless,WTF?I dont know what they were thinking when they decided how the instrument would work on this game,but to me it just doesn't work.(But I do like the Harp mini-game in the pumpkin house)

I dont hate this game its one of the best Zelda games,but its the only Zelda that I feel that there are missing elements and that's too bad,it could have been the best Zelda ever,but with all that missing in the game,well its not my favorite

Not too much actually.

i don't have the game completed yet but I think that the Beetle is a lot like the boomerang and is perhaps has a more creative aspect to it.

K

KinRyuTen

-They should have put some place like Hyrule Field to connect Lanayru desert,Faron woods and Eldin Volcano

-Dark Link as a boss.I was hoping to fight Dark Link in a similar battle from Ocarina of Time,but with motion controls it would have been awesome

-Volvagia as a Boss

-More flotings islands with more things to do in them

-More people outside of Skyloft.I didn't liked that skyloft was the only place with a lot of people,some other places had some people to talk with,but it was never in a really save place(no enemies) and it doesn't feel like Zora Domain or Goron City,etc

-The Red and the Blue Tunic could have EASILY been in the game,but for some reason they decided to give us those earrings and this Dragon Scale,I was never expecting this kind of failure in a Zelda game

-The Harp is really terrible,you collect songs just to play theme ONCE and you can't use them like in Oot,MM,WW,ST and LA,you can use the harp anywhere,but its useless,WTF?I dont know what they were thinking when they decided how the instrument would work on this game,but to me it just doesn't work.(But I do like the Harp mini-game in the pumpkin house)

I dont hate this game its one of the best Zelda games,but its the only Zelda that I feel that there are missing elements and that's too bad,it could have been the best Zelda ever,but with all that missing in the game,well its not my favorite

The harp isn't useless, you can find gossip stones which may tell useful information, or goddess walls that you draw on to get rupees, hearts, bombs, arrows, and fairies.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
2) Fire/Ice Arrows.
1) While I like fairies, the great fairies weren't necessary for SS as David said. The upgrade system made them obsolete – the great fairies' primary purpose from what I remember is to give upgrades and to heal you. Upgrade system eradicated them.
2) Yes, SS needed them in my opinion. There was no magic, but Nintendo 'could have' implemented them.
3) I didn't think cuccos even existed at this point in the Zelda timeline, but I can't confirm.
4) As you said, the Beetle made the boomerang useless. I hate the beetle with all my heart as it is just a way to make things needlessly hard (constantly having to repilot if you accidentally bump into a wall two too many times), the boomerang should've stayed past development.

I was sad about no fire/ice arrows and no boomerang. I feel as if the Hookshot should return, because the Clawshots while better and cooler...they just don't feel quite like the hookshot does. I dunno...

-Volvagia as a boss
-More floating islands with more things to do in them
1) I definitely agree, constantly having to go back to the sky just to get to the next area was ridiculous – just because the sky is sectioned off doesn't mean the Surface has to be as well. That's not realistic or even relatively smart.
2) I agree again, Ghirahim is a cool sword fighter but he was really nothing more than a troll. Dark Link as a final boss a la AoL...maybe not, but as a boss instead of miniboss I would like.
3) No thanks. That's just a forced Legendary Hammer appearance and a useless boss.
4) SS really needs many more islands with much more to do. Not a fetch quest. Rescue quests, defeat X amount of enemy quests...things liked that.
5) I agree again, Skyloft is like the only place of civilzation. What's teh point of having multiple races if you only encounter like two of each race?
6) TUNICS SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN. I have a lot of problems with things like the scale and the earrings; while they're magical in essence they just do something that a tunic easily was a replacement for, which also means more customization for Link. Too bad.
7) I would go so far as to just replace the harp with the Ocarina, but of course that would attract negative reception. The Harp needs to have more uses, totally agree.

1) More towns! Sure Skyloft was big but it got boring quick, and the NPC's really didn't do much. I would have liked for there to be something like a Goron City on the surface too...or something for the small amount of life forms actually on the surface! It just felt too empty.
2)The Harp needed more usage like the Ocarina. It was just for Story purposes. I guess you could say the Statue/Goddess walls...but meh. You strum it once and thats it.
3) Night&Day cycle. I missed it so much. Having to go to a bed to instantly change the time was efficient but we used musical instruments for that before.... AND we still got to enjoy the cycle.
4) You couldn't go anywhere at night! I would have loved to have been able to fly my Loftwing in the beautiful night sky....
5) The islands in the sky were boring and plain. Wind Waker had better islands.
6) To have the surface connected. When you first arrive at a part of the surface you turn around.....BAM! Dead end. I would have liked the option to travel to another part of the world on foot.

I did love the game, but these are some of the things that keep it from being my favourite.

I miss the Great Fairies, yes. But they are no longer of any use, as they have been superseded by the upgrade system.

2) Fire/Ice Arrows.

Agreed. It would have been nice to see them in action this time around, and while they are not essential to the plot in any way, they could have somehow been implemented, as Vanitas suggested.

Meh. I guess it would have been nice to see them in Skyloft. It would add a bit more activity to the place. It would have also been fun to watch Mia chase them around. lol

The boomerang is among my favorite weapons in the Zelda series, but I think the Beetle was an excellent replacement. It was fun upgrading it as well.

One thing I personally miss is Hyrule Field. At first, I was hoping SS would succeed where Twilight Princess failed. But then again, I guess Skyward Sword's change in the traditional formula gave us just that: a Hyrule Field with lots of depth and activity. Oho... Perhaps we should have been careful what we wished for. lol However, there is no excuse for the disjointed regions, in my opinion.

While I do miss some things omitted from a new Zelda game, I am never completely disappointed by their absence. I always remind myself that Zelda is a series. As such, I've learned to accept that some things will [likely] be absent at some point in the series; that includes items, weapons, and equipment that are typically regarded as series staples. I simply hope for their return in the next new game. (see Whip)

Aside from old stuff that I also want back, more stuff in the sky was the biggest thing with me. I would have really loved to have a dungeon or two in the sky other than the Sky Keep, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom