• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild There will be NO female Link

Why would having the option to play as female Link ruin the overall game experience? Why does expanding options piss so many people off? Male Link would be no less invalidated by a female one -- just more inviting and inclusive to wider audiences. Yes, he is an iconic character, but if he is to truly serve as a link to any player, a female option is way overdue. If you don't want to play as female Link, you simply wouldn't have to. Is that too hard?
But regardless, it is Nintendo's decision. A poor one, I think, but still theirs to make. I just find the amount of resistance to a female option shocking.

Why would having the option to play as female Link ruin the overall game experience? Why does expanding options piss so many people off? Male Link would be no less invalidated by a female one -- just more inviting and inclusive to wider audiences. Yes, he is an iconic character, but if he is to truly serve as a link to any player, a female option is way overdue. If you don't want to play as female Link, you simply wouldn't have to. Is that too hard?
But regardless, it is Nintendo's decision. A poor one, I think, but still theirs to make. I just find the amount of resistance to a female option shocking.
Likewise, why is it so important to have a girl Link? Also, it's not a poor buisiness decision. Which is the sort of decision that Nintendo needs to make. This will appeal to more people then the silly fools who want girl Link.

Also they couldn't do that cause shirtless Link.

Likewise, why is it so important to have a girl Link? Also, it's not a poor buisiness decision. Which is the sort of decision that Nintendo needs to make. This will appeal to more people then the silly fools who want girl Link.

Also they couldn't do that cause shirtless Link.

I understand that it may not be a poor business decision; that wasn't the point I was trying to make. It's about having options made available to players, feeling a "link" to the character, which is not a difficult thing to do, considering all of the games that have already made M/F selection available. Shirtless Link could be replaced by tank top Link, or something to that effect -- Nintendo can be creative when it wants to be.
What I don't understand is the rationale behind why female Link's such a bad thing!

I understand that it may not be a poor business decision; that wasn't the point I was trying to make. It's about having options made available to players, feeling a "link" to the character, which is not a difficult thing to do, considering all of the games that have already made M/F selection available. Shirtless Link could be replaced by tank top Link, or something to that effect -- Nintendo can be creative when it wants to be.
What I don't understand is the rationale behind why female Link's such a bad thing!
It's seen as a bad thing because people dislike change. I think.

It's seen as a bad thing because people dislike change. I think.
If that's the case, then that's unfortunate, especially since it's a change that has happened to other franchises with minimal impact on story or game play. It certainly wouldn't have effected BoW either, save for finally giving players the chance to roam Hyrule and kick major butt -- as a girl.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
As I've said, I wouldn't mind a future title in which the Hero-soul had a gender-option, but I am remembering a conversation I had with a friend of mine (who is one of those RARE online friends you find out lives reasonably close to you so you can hang out in real life!!!!). She was visiting me as a guest in my home and we were talking about Zelda and registering our displeasure at a recent article on Cracked.dot com about" sexism in videogames" that cited Zelda (Triforce Heroes in particular, for some reason) and was written by someone who obviously only got basic information and probably hadn't played a lick of the game. (If he had, wouldn't he have mentioned the Cheer Outfit? On a humor-site)?

My friend, like me, is female, but sees Link as a character and, in ranting at this (poorly written) article: "Is not having a female Link any more sexist than not having a male version of Laura Croft?"

A strong point.

As I've said, I wouldn't mind a future title in which the Hero-soul had a gender-option, but I am remembering a conversation I had with a friend of mine (who is one of those RARE online friends you find out lives reasonably close to you so you can hang out in real life!!!!). She was visiting me as a guest in my home and we were talking about Zelda and registering our displeasure at a recent article on Cracked.dot com about" sexism in videogames" that cited Zelda (Triforce Heroes in particular, for some reason) and was written by someone who obviously only got basic information and probably hadn't played a lick of the game. (If he had, wouldn't he have mentioned the Cheer Outfit? On a humor-site)?

My friend, like me, is female, but sees Link as a character and, in ranting at this (poorly written) article: "Is not having a female Link any more sexist than not having a male version of Laura Croft?"

A strong point.

The interesting thing about your point is the fact that Lara Croft is a character in Tomb Raider. You cannot name her; she's like Mario, or Samus. Link was nameable (keyword being "was" because I don't know if that's the case anymore in BotW) because he was meant to be an avatar, so why must he only be male?
While there actually wouldn't be anything wrong with a male Lara Croft or male Samus, I still need to point out the huge disproportionate amount of male protagonists to female protagonists that already exists in video games. Why would there be a need to make male versions of female protagonists when so many stand-alone male protagonists exist and have existed already? Doing something like that in the name of "equality" doesn't exactly help the situation - a male version of Lara Croft or Samus would almost take away from the idea of such a powerful female character finally existing in the first place.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
People view Link as a character, giving gender choices takes that away, it's as simple as that and it's always been as simple as that.

People don't want to customize Samus's gender or see a male Samus, people don't want to customize Link's gender or see a female Link, that is literally all this has ever been about. What differences may exist between Link and other characters is entirely irrelevant to this.

Last edited:

Zorth

#Scoundrel

It is a small change, that literally would not affect you in any way if you intend to keep playing as the male version, but could mean so much for people who like playing as a female.

And no, it is not a poor business decision to make your product available for a wider audience. Especially considering that half of humans are females who logically are more inclined to try something if they can relate themselves to it. But who knows, maybe it indeed is smarter business wise to keep appealing to sweaty pubescent boys who believe women are conspiring to take over the world?

People view Link as a character, giving gender choices takes that away, it's as simple as that and it's always been as simple as that.

People don't want to customize Samus's gender or see a male Samus, people don't want to customize Link's gender or see a female Link, that is literally all this has ever been about. What differences may exist between Link and other characters is entirely irrelevant to this.

2 points I need to comment here;

1. Link being his own character has never been as simple as you make it out to be. The creator wanted him to originally be a link between Hyrule and our world, a blank avatar.

2. Even if we consider him a character, giving an alternate CHOICE does not remove the character aspect because you can still play as the original male version.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
It is a small change, that literally would not affect you in any way if you intend to keep playing as the male version, but could mean so much for people who like playing as a female.

And no, it is not a poor business decision to make your product available for a wider audience. Especially considering that half of humans are females who logically are more inclined to try something if they can relate themselves to it. But who knows, maybe it indeed is smarter business wise to keep appealing to sweaty pubescent boys who believe women are conspiring to take over the world?

1. Link being his own character has never been as simple as you make it out to be. The creator wanted him to originally be a link between Hyrule and our world, a blank avatar.

2. Even if we consider him a character, giving an alternate CHOICE does not remove the character aspect because you can still play as the original male version.

1. At one point yes, recently, like as far back as maybe OOT, not anymore, especially since there's apparently no longer the option to rename him making him literally just a silent character.

2. Uh, yeah it would. Giving the player the option to choose something as integral as their gender to a established character who is part of the lore seriously messes with ya know the story. As Link can't be canonically a male and female at the same time, and even if we did have one be stated as deliberately canon, the feel of customizing him at all seriously takes away from the feel of him as his own character. It wouldn't if literally every character in the game had the same choice, but if it's just Link it does.

Plus, what's the damn point? Assuming you can't name him, why would you even want the option to make him more like you when he obviously isn't you?

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake

Yes it does. In our society, males and females are different, and their characterization is different. Do you think it would be as oppropriate in say, Final Fantasy X, where I can name my character whatever the hell I want, if Tidus were a girl? No, it would be weird.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Yes it does. In our society, males and females are different, and their characterization is different. Do you think it would be as oppropriate in say, Final Fantasy X, where I can name my character whatever the hell I want, if Tidus were a girl? No, it would be weird.
We also have FF15 now which seems to be an outing with the bros. I think it would be very different if it was a female cast.

Dan

We also have FF15 now which seems to be an outing with the bros. I think it would be very different if it was a female cast.

I may actually get that game purely because I love a good bro story.
Female Link would come with her own slew of problems anyway, if she looks even an ounce too sexy the SJW will be coming on their horses to attack you all.

Reactions: Dio

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I may actually get that game purely because I love a good bro story.
Female Link would come with her own slew of problems anyway, if she looks even an ounce too sexy the SJW will be coming on their horses to attack you all.
And to keep the realism what with the breakable weapons and the food and whatnot you'd have to buy tampons and all of that garbage. Once a month the game roles a d6 to tell you your stat boosts or minuses for the next 7 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom