• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

There Are "different" Link's. (further Explanation)

This is confirmed. While I don't know about WW Link being the descendant of a Hylian soldier, the Deku Tree says that he has "no relation" to the Hero of Time.

You're thinking of the King. He's not omniscient or anything. And unless he's been stalking Link and all his ancestors for their entire lives (creepy), he has absolutely no way of knowing whether WW Link would be a distant relation to OOT Link or not, and he wouldn't be checking either.

The King was looking specifically for the Hero of Time. It was a fool's errand sprung from guilt, false hope, whatever you want to suggest, as he was looking for someone who no longer existed. The kid he found floating in the ocean was a gamble. Any relation (if there was) would be a coincidence. Once again, it's not something the King would be checking for at this point.

Outset island is interesting. It is located south of "Hyrule", has triforce markings everywhere, has its own traditions and lore about the Hero of Time, etc. What's interesting is that the Hero has been largely forgotten in WW's world. If WW Link isn't OOT Link's descendant, then he is the descendant of some sort of "next of kin" who was either close to him, or received his stuff.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Clearly not all Links came from the one before as the fallen Hero of Time never reproduced. The error with this theory, however, is that it assumes every Link will only have one offspring. Imagine if the Hero of the Sky had 20 children. Then each of those children had 20 children. And so on and so forth. This family would spread making it extremely possible that anyone with hylian blood could be related to the original hero. (similar to the biblical story of the Jews).

He's not omniscient or anything. And unless he's been stalking Link and all his ancestors for their entire lives (creepy), he has absolutely no way of knowing whether WW Link would be a distant relation to OOT Link or not, and he wouldn't be checking either.

This is a world filled with magic that is never explained and magical beings who can see into the future and past through various means. No reason to doubt the words of a magical talking boat.

This is a world filled with magic that is never explained and magical beings who can see into the future and past through various means. No reason to doubt the words of a magical talking boat.

No reason to think the talking boat who inadvertently sent Link to set Ganondorf free, left Zelda in a deathtrap, and was unaware that the Master Sword had lost its power knows everything.

Honestly, that's the only thing I take issue with in Wind Waker discussions. The King is NOT infallible. He screws up big time, multiple times, and he admits so. He's a nice guy and all, but he is not a god.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
No reason to think the talking boat who inadvertently sent Link to set Ganondorf free, left Zelda in a deathtrap, and was unaware that the Master Sword had lost its power knows everything.

Honestly, that's the only thing I take issue with in Wind Waker discussions. The King is NOT infallible. He screws up big time, multiple times, and he admits so. He's a nice guy and all, but he is not a god.

Yes, the king is a big screw up, but that doesn't make him a liar. He doesn't know everything, but that doesn't prove that what he said was false. People who mess up aren't automatically perpetual liars.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
You got the Hero's Shield! This is the legendary shield said to have been used by the hero himself!
Hanging the family shield on the wall as decoration is another tradition that has been carried down from those days.

The one I have brought with me has no connection to the legendary one.

I'd rather trust an authority on Hyrule history (who's seen much of it first-hand) than a rumor. The shield doesn't look like OoT Link's shield anyway (yeah I know it doesn't really have to).

I just checked the HH and I couldn't find where it said WW Link was related to the Hylian soldier from OoT.

Yes, the king is a big screw up, but that doesn't make him a liar. He doesn't know everything, but that doesn't prove that what he said was false. People who mess up aren't automatically perpetual liars.

Nobody called him a liar. I called him human. Well, the ghost of a human that happens to be haunting a boat.

He has no reason to lie...just like he has no reason to know one way or another.

I'd rather trust an authority on Hyrule history (who's seen much of it first-hand) than a rumor. The shield doesn't look like OoT Link's shield anyway (yeah I know it doesn't really have to).

Let me put it this way. I'm directly descended from King John. You know, the guy from the Robin Hood stories.

If I were to show up in the UK and claim some connection with the royal family, I'd get laughed off the island. Not because it isn't true, but because at that point it's entirely irrelevant.

The King was looking for the Hero of Time himself, or maybe even a reincarnation. Not distant relations. Otherwise a rumor might have been enough for him to approach the family far earlier. His journey was basically an unluckier version of Zuko's (Avatar). The fact that the shield is outright said to be the Hero of Time's, and the fact that the island has its own lore about him implies some connection. What that connection is is debatable, but there is a connection. The game contradicts itself on this.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Let me put it this way. I'm directly descended from King John. You know, the guy from the Robin Hood stories.

If I were to show up in the UK and claim some connection with the royal family, I'd get laughed off the island. Not because it isn't true, but because at that point it's entirely irrelevant.

The King was looking for the Hero of Time himself, or maybe even a reincarnation. Not distant relations. Otherwise a rumor might have been enough for him to approach the family far earlier. His journey was basically an unluckier version of Zuko's (Avatar). The fact that the shield is outright said to be the Hero of Time's, and the fact that the island has its own lore about him implies some connection. What that connection is is debatable, but there is a connection. The game contradicts itself on this.

Yes maybe it does imply a connection, but there is no solid proof. The connection I always felt was simply that the people on Outset Island just so happened to keep the legend of the Hero of Time alive (wereas all the other people on various Islands just forgot it). Plus Link in WW is just a reincarnation, that is for sure, I doubt there is blood relation to the Hero of Time.

Yes maybe it does imply a connection, but there is no solid proof.

The King has no solid proof either. He's literally been chasing a legend for a hundred years. And he would have no proof because he wasn't looking in the first place.

What I'm saying is that we have a logical paradox. We cannot simply say one is canon because there is in-game text, because the in-game text goes both ways. And one is considered canon by fans because the King said so (literally the only reason), but the contradictory statement is shoved aside like it doesn't exist in the first place. It is never acknowledged that there even is a contradiction. The King is simply picked as the "winner" for some reason, when the villagers would be in the better position to know if there was a connection or not.

This is not a theory of any kind, it is merely an observation of both the game and the fandom. People are more interested in silencing rather than discussing, and on this particular subject it has always annoyed me, especially since there are so many fascinating possibilities. There are other reasons both statements could be right, there are reasons one could be taken over the other, but nobody bothers to actually discuss it, or what it may mean if both are right in their own way. It's not like Hyrule Historia or the devs tell us to pick the King over the heirloom.

Now, beyond THAT is where we go into hypothesizing...

Me!

Though I don't believe it to be the case, I never really saw a problem with the idea of the Hero of Time having a child in the Fallen Hero or Adult timelines. He basically went from a little kid to an adult over night. Imagine having all the hormones of puberty hit your brain in an instant like that. I'm sure he noticed the girls a little differently, and considering he's a (according to Naburoo) handsome young man going around saving damsels like Malon or hanging out in a desert of women whose only male looks like Ganondorf and moved away to Hyrule years ago anyways, he probably wouldn't have the hardest time making a new "friend" or two. It's not really in character for someone who is a noble hero to be having one night stands but if they really wanted to work a Link Jr. into the timeline it really wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Though I don't believe it to be the case, I never really saw a problem with the idea of the Hero of Time having a child in the Fallen Hero or Adult timelines. He basically went from a little kid to an adult over night. Imagine having all the hormones of puberty hit your brain in an instant like that. I'm sure he noticed the girls a little differently, and considering he's a (according to Naburoo) handsome young man going around saving damsels like Malon or hanging out in a desert of women whose only male looks like Ganondorf and moved away to Hyrule years ago anyways, he probably wouldn't have the hardest time making a new "friend" or two. It's not really in character for someone who is a noble hero to be having one night stands but if they really wanted to work a Link Jr. into the timeline it really wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

And that's good enough for me. I only ask that possibilities be considered. The timeline is a very messed up piece of work and not everything fits. Just like not everything that happens in Star Trek fits. There are many conflicts. Continuity errors could practically be used as currency in Hyrule at this point.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
Ehh, I don't really think they're meant to have any lineage, it's hardly ever even a plot point that the characters repeat, just a little excuse to make games that are their own universes with the same iconic characters connect in some way.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Caught this quote while reading SMS' thread.

Thosewho share the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero...

Notice how it talks about the bloodline of the goddess (the Zelda family) and the SPIRIT of the hero. No mention of a bloodline anywhere. If he specifically mentioned bloodline for Zelda, why not for Link if they indeed shared a bloodline?

If he specifically mentioned bloodline for Zelda, why not for Link if they indeed shared a bloodline?

To be clear, I don't think *all* of them are related. I just find it weird that so many have implied family ties. Quite simply, it's odd.

Honestly, I think Link Between Worlds messes with us the most, as it implies two Links alive at the same time. No, I don't mean Ravio. I'm thinking of Gramps. That just makes everything weirder.

Is there a heroic spirit gene? XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom