• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Theories of the Many Items in the Zelda Series

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Bombchus in TP look quite different to Terminan Bombchus, they are like little round bugs that go Kaboom, I think they are a different species.
I think you're thinking of Bomblings.

How they could possibly go from a wooden boomerang to mechanical flying beetle thing makes me question how Nintendo's mental processes work. But I guess the boomerangs that's been appearing in Zelda these days defies all logic in what boomerangs can actually do, so therefore a flying mechanical beetle it is.
Yes, it started as a boomerang. You can read about it here.

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
It might be the case that Bombachus and Bomblings are two different species from the same family, sort of saying. As if they came from the same evolutionary branch and adapted to their different environments (and we start again discussing whether Termina and Hyrule are two different dimensions, or whatever...).

Anyhow, I wanted to comment about another of Link's items: the Hover Boots from OoT. I found them very interesting, and although it felt weird to run with them (it was like walking on ice all the time:P), I liked a lot the way Link could walk a few steps on water or air. While the Iron Boots were available in other games (TP, I don't know/remember if in other ones...), I actually missed the Hover Boots, specially when facing some impossible jumps that made me think With the wingy thing boots, that would be easy.

I'm not sure if there's any explanation of the mechanics of this Boots in OoT, but I made up some strange theory about them. Since the Temple of Shadows where Link founds them is full of ghosts, and light/shadow-related things, I thought those boots stood in touch with the spirit of things. OK, that was an awful way to put it. Let me explain; the Earth, the soil onto which Link stood, has something like a "spirit", which was the thing those Boots actually stepped on. Being somewhat ethereal, the end of it was less clear that with the actual soil, and when it ended (like when there was a cliff ahead) the spirit of it wouldn't end until some steps later.

Aaaah, it's confusing and even I have trouble understanding it, so please say you have a better notion about what where those boots.

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
OK, I'll try again.

Think of the Earth as a being, a massive being under our feet (Great A'tuin comes to mind, but that's a complete different matter).
As a being, it has an spirit that more or less fits its shape. Vast, round and, from our point of view, flat.

Now think of the Hover Boots as a mean to achieve physical contact with spirits: some gloves made from the same material would enable you to touch ghosts. So the Boots allow Link to step on spirits, which isn't really useful unless you want to kick Poes to death... But then again, Earth's spirit on which Link now walks (and that gives the sensation to be walking over something slippery), is not exactly the same shape of Earth itself, but slightly bigger -spirits usually are, that's why they glow. So now Link can walk a few steps beyond the edge of land, because he's still on Earth's spirit.

Wow! Thank you very much, you made me put my confusing ideas in order. I hope now is much more clear than before! :D

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
OK, I'll try again.

Think of the Earth as a being, a massive being under our feet (Great A'tuin comes to mind, but that's a complete different matter).
As a being, it has an spirit that more or less fits its shape. Vast, round and, from our point of view, flat.

Now think of the Hover Boots as a mean to achieve physical contact with spirits: some gloves made from the same material would enable you to touch ghosts. So the Boots allow Link to step on spirits, which isn't really useful unless you want to kick Poes to death... But then again, Earth's spirit on which Link now walks (and that gives the sensation to be walking over something slippery), is not exactly the same shape of Earth itself, but slightly bigger -spirits usually are, that's why they glow. So now Link can walk a few steps beyond the edge of land, because he's still on Earth's spirit.

Wow! Thank you very much, you made me put my confusing ideas in order. I hope now is much more clear than before! :D
How far he can walk over an edge is based on time, not distance. If he takes just one step off and then waits a second or two, he'll fall.

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
How far he can walk over an edge is based on time, not distance. If he takes just one step off and then waits a second or two, he'll fall.

Ah, so worked-over a theory destroyed by something so basic! Right, if I think of some solution to this I'll tell - or if you do, feel free to join in!

The answer is in what you see, the boots somehow creates a yellow platform, what that yellow platform is exactly is a mystery. Perhaps Nintendo didn't think it was anything, or perhaps it's just a yellow platform and that's all there is to it.

The only difference this platform has from conditional ice found in the game is that Link (I believe) can jump off of an ice platform, however, he cannot jump off of the platform that is created by the hover boots.

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
The only difference this platform has from conditional ice found in the game is that Link (I believe) can jump off of an ice platform, however, he cannot jump off of the platform that is created by the hover boots.

You can roll and jump from the hover boot platform, allowing Link to cross slightly wider gaps. Although this is likely an oversight in design rather than an intentional effect of the boots as if you just run with them you will fall when the platform expires rather than jumping.

Because of the timed nature of the platform, I have always assumed it is a projected force field that engages when the boots sense a loss of stability underfoot; this is how I always explained (in my mind) the fact that they engage over quicksand. Quicksand, like empty air, is not a stable surface, so the boots project their little energy field and you get a few extra steps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom