• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Theories of the Many Items in the Zelda Series

Starblast16

Hylian Swordsmaster
I'm starting this thread so that people can discuss their theories on how the items in the Zelda series are made, what they are made of, and how they work. Of course the discussion on the items won't be limited to just those three aspects. Of course I'll be joining in on this discussion.

I'll start the discussion. I have some theories on the Bettle from Skyward Sword. I think it runs on sacred energy that instantly recharges when it runs out of power. And it has an automatic homing device that makes it return to Link when it get's close to running out of power. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
The Beetle seems a lot like the Hookshot to me. It seems to be an ancient device. Even today there are ancient devices that are advanced by today's standards that historians, archaeologists and mechanical engineers still don't understand. Ancient texts tell of other remarkable ancient devices using hydraulics and various forms of perpetual motion that continue to confound modern day experts.

In Ocarina of Time, the Hookshot is dug up my Dampe in an ancient graveyard that has been used as a resting place for individuals of significant importance for generations. It is a very advanced technological device. Its mechanical complexity appears well beyond what is seen during Link's adventure across time. The Beetle as well may have been a device constructed by the predecessors of the Skyloftians, back when their ancestors still lived on the surface of Hyrule. The ancestors of the Skyloftians may have been toying with advanced technologies that would have been lost when they left the surface to live in Skyloft.

Starblast16

Hylian Swordsmaster
Good Point. Here's another thing I'm wondering about. I wonder if the blade of the Master sword is made of a sacred metal like Adamantine or Orichalcum or a mixture of both. You would need sacred metals like those in order to harness sacred energies like the power to repel evil kind of like the three pure metals that were used to forge the blade of the Phantom Sword. Also, both Orichalcum and Adamantine are insanely hard metals so they won't break at all and also they won't rust. Imagine how much it would suck if the Master Sword ever rusted.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Regarding the beetle, that's technology of the ancients robots isn't it? The robots see the beetle you got in the skyview temple, say it's an older model, and update it with a claw, the beetle is clearly the work of ancient technology, this technology was lost during the war with demise

And the Adamantite and Orichalcum... I don't see where you get that from, both are fictional materials IIRC, and there are no references to them in the Zelda Mythos

Actually, I need someone to come up with a theory on hootshots/clawshots. I always wondered how that long chain fit into the little handle of hookshots/clawshots. How does that work? My answer is NINTENDO LOGIC.

Actually, I need someone to come up with a theory on hootshots/clawshots. I always wondered how that long chain fit into the little handle of hookshots/clawshots. How does that work? My answer is NINTENDO LOGIC.

The Chain for the Hookshot/Longshot is coiled up between the grip and the "hook". I would assume it's the same for the clawshot. I would assume they work like a compressed spring.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu

If you can drop some physics, then a simple rolled up chain on the inside would explain it, obviously lifting Link that fast and without making him swing like a pendulum would be very hard in real life, but we can just ignore that

I think that the Gust Jar from Minish Cap was designed by Minish who had some knowledge of the Gust Bellows from Skyward Sword. They may have recieved knowledge through stories or the item itself. What do you think?

Go to youtube and look up Game Theory: Zelda, Potions and Power Bands for a really interesting perspective on those potions you've been chugging the past 25 years.

An item I always found to be rather unusual are the Bombchus mostly because of the fact that an animal named a bombchu exists in Termina. Are they named after these animals? If so are the bombchus extinct in Hyrule? Are they extinct because they are being hunted to make bombs? I may be overthinking this but it seems odd to me.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Go to youtube and look up Game Theory: Zelda, Potions and Power Bands for a really interesting perspective on those potions you've been chugging the past 25 years.

An item I always found to be rather unusual are the Bombchus mostly because of the fact that an animal named a bombchu exists in Termina. Are they named after these animals? If so are the bombchus extinct in Hyrule? Are they extinct because they are being hunted to make bombs? I may be overthinking this but it seems odd to me.

Bombchus in TP look quite different to Terminan Bombchus, they are like little round bugs that go Kaboom, I think they are a different species.

I never actually gave much thought to Bombchus until this. Thank you. I too have never seen live Bombchus in Hyrule. But that could be:
a) bad memory or;
b)I just rush through games.

The beetle is the end result in Nintendo's attempt to make a boomerang that was as efficient as the one in Phantom Hourglass. Also, considering that the Boomerang is completely missing from that game, it would support my theory strongly that the Beetle is Skyward Sword's version of the boomerang.

How they could possibly go from a wooden boomerang to mechanical flying beetle thing makes me question how Nintendo's mental processes work. But I guess the boomerangs that's been appearing in Zelda these days defies all logic in what boomerangs can actually do, so therefore a flying mechanical beetle it is.

What's scary is that what if the whole futuristic concept started out of the question "why on earth would Link carry a mechanical beetle??? I got it!!!!"

Also, for what it runs on, it's been mentioned in the game that those machines run on Ancient Flower oils, that's why the Ancient Flower is a primary ingredient used to upgrade the beetle, and also it was the ancient flower that revived that annoying robot guy, it's safe to assume that the robot was non-functional until Ancient Flower oil was added.

Nintendo Logic: Light a torch, door opens.

It's funny how people believe Zelda makes us smarter. Lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom