• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Them" in Majora's Mask

Ah, this was one of my favorite moments in Majora's Mask. I would sometimes boot up the game and go to this part just to do it repeatedly. I loved it! ^^

It was a creepy, cool moment. I never got freaked out or scared by it, I just thought it was awesome. I also have never lost doing it, at least that I can remember, so I've never seen the cutscene when you lose... I'd like to see it, so maybe I should go do that part again.

Some people refer to them simply as "ghosts" but I'm certain the intention was for them to be aliens. Referring to them as "They", having them come from the sky in balls of light, and abducting cows. It screams alien reference.

And I definitely think they intended They to look like the Flatwoods Monster. Thing is, it's not just their appearance. It's their method of transportation; they appear in balls of light. There were two things referred to as the "Flatwoods Monster", the creature resembling They and a weird ball of light that is sometimes presumed to be the creature's ship.

But it's fun, and the Romani Mask is indeed worth it.
You don't get the Romani's Mask from this sidequest, you get Epona's Song. You get Romani's Mask from defending Cremia's milk cart... although you do need to fend off They in order to trigger that event. ;)

Last edited:

octorok74

TETTAC
This sidequest was fun. I have heard about "Them" for some time and when I finally faced them I cocked an arrow, drew back the bow, and I lost. My nerves got to me. I wish you could permanently destroy them after you hit them like 5 times or something.

L

Lorddeku92

To me, it doesn't matter whether i win or loose because even if i loose Romani gets abducted and comes back with an expression that looks like she was analy probed, so i get i kick out it even if i loose... and if i win... well thats great too....... but can someone tell me what the hell ALIENS are doing in ZELDA???? I mean technically, their alien ghosts, but still... it just doesn't seem like it fits... no matter how fun it is.... and speaking of not fitting... why are they introducing TRAINS into zelda??? i know this isn't the place to talk bout Spirit Tracks, but still. Flooding Hyrule was bad enough....

Aki Graham

Secret Finder
The thing that made my heart pound the most was when I beat it. Going through all the events to actually get to there made it stressful. The whole thought of having to do all of it again, made me... anxious. I know it isn't a whole lot to get to that part, but, as I was 11 at the time, made my impatience go mental.

dumb180

Warrior Postman
This was a pretty solid sidequest. My heart was racing too. Just played it again last night, actually. Try as I might, I can't seem to hit these guys mounted. Seems to be a lot easier on foot.

If I recall correctly from however many years ago, these guys did creep me out the first time around. You know.. the same way real aliens would. I guess because it's so out of character for a zelda game; that gave more rationale for my suspension of disbelief.

Dungeon killer

Dungeon's Shall Fall!
I didn't know about this sidequest until I saw this thread and I did some research about this "freaking out", and here are my results:

~Day Time
I played the minigame during the day time, there was no serious freaking out, but the Bm was a little creepy.

~Night Time
I played again during the night it was about 12:00 a.m. my mom and dad were asleep I closed the door and turned up the volume as high as I dared and started. Let's just say I was in panic the Bm seemed more creepier than ever and Romani got abducted:OD:!

So my conclusion is that the aspect of night and quiet the Bm and the sense of tension made the "freaking out" possible. Anyway's I wouldn't play this at 12:00 a.m. at night (if your a sissy like me, yah you can laugh now:lol::lol::lol:). But if your older it shouldn't scare you at all.

Aki Graham

Secret Finder
The best way to not get scared in a scary movie or something like this is, not cover your eyes, but cover your ears. The music is more influential to your mind than the visual is. Just a tip.

Oh, Dungeon Killer, did you do those things, or did you find that from the web?(I need some clarification.)

zants follower

underling of the dark god
ah yes. the sound. my friend got scared of the redeads screech in ww and he hasn't had the sound on any game since ^^, anyways, i completely agree. when i was a bit younger, in the well and shadow temple in oot, i couldnt play at night or have the sound on or my heart would start pounding at 10 times its regular rate. the only reassurance was the sound of links voice so i figured out that if i pulled thesound cords half out on my tv, it would only play sfx ^^

This was really cool, especially to be in a Zelda game. It was really funny how the first cutsceene you saw that described them had them abducting a cow. This ended up being a very fun sidequest, and was fun all the way. Who would'a ever thought that aliens would make it to Zelda?

DesertDweller

Love Truth
Hmm...I see that here the popular opinion here is that "They" are aliens. I take another point of view; they're Garo Robes.

Now before you argue against it, let me make the point that after you save Pamela's father, if you examine the picture of a garo, he talks about the garo and how they're ghost ninjas and whatnot. Then he says that there have been sightings at the ranch across town. If you look at the map when doing the Song of Soaring, Romani's Ranch is approximately across from Ikana Valley.

Dunno if it's possible, but I'm just saying.

Zarom

The King
Hmm...I see that here the popular opinion here is that "They" are aliens. I take another point of view; they're Garo Robes.

Now before you argue against it, let me make the point that after you save Pamela's father, if you examine the picture of a garo, he talks about the garo and how they're ghost ninjas and whatnot. Then he says that there have been sightings at the ranch across town. If you look at the map when doing the Song of Soaring, Romani's Ranch is approximately across from Ikana Valley.

Dunno if it's possible, but I'm just saying.

I don't think this theory is possible. :dry:

Yes, Pamela's father say that the Garos are Ninja ghosts, but in fact, they are the ghosts of ninjas. They were part of the Ikana Kingdom, as well as all the redeads, gibdos, stalchids, poes and some other monsters you can encounter in Ikana. They were Ninjas, and now they are dead. :wallmaster:

And yes, there have been sightings of the Garo Ninjas near the ranch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you wear the Garo's Mask and walk on the Milk Road or in Romani Ranch, some Garo Ninjas appear, just like in Ikana Valley.

So, ''they'' are simply aliens that come in their UFO to abduct cows. While th Garo Ninjas were part of the Army of Ikana. Plus, they both look very different. :)

DesertDweller

Love Truth
But Cremia says that They are 'ghosts'. And she heard that directly from Romani herself. Therefore, Romani thinks They are ghosts.
Garo are ghosts.

Zarom said:
I don't think this theory is possible. :dry:

Yes, Pamela's father say that the Garos are Ninja ghosts, but in fact, they are the ghosts of ninjas. They were part of the Ikana Kingdom, as well as all the redeads, gibdos, stalchids, poes and some other monsters you can encounter in Ikana. They were Ninjas, and now they are dead. :wallmaster:

And yes, there have been sightings of the Garo Ninjas near the ranch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you wear the Garo's Mask and walk on the Milk Road or in Romani Ranch, some Garo Ninjas appear, just like in Ikana Valley.

So, ''they'' are simply aliens that come in their UFO to abduct cows. While th Garo Ninjas were part of the Army of Ikana. Plus, they both look very different. :)
Good points. I wasn't aware that you can wear the Garo's Mask to make some Garos appear on Milk Road; I'll try that next time I play MM.

I honestly don't remember what "They" looked like too well, so I guess I'll have to go through that sidequest again. Plus the Garo ninjas kinda fought on the ground...and whatnot.

Was just throwing it out there. :)

Starchain1

A star
The first time I played this side quest I lost this is what made me find out this weird thing right at the last day to find out more check the the thread Freaky!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom