• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Them" Aliens or Monsters?

Are "they" aliens or monsters?

• Aliens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monsters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dungeon killer

Dungeon's Shall Fall!
I was playing the "Them" minigame in Mm when I thought are "they" aliens or supernatural monsters with special powers that make them seem like aliens? I don't know but I want your opinion's dudes and dudettes!:thinking::wave:

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
They are clearly aliens.
The whole "abducting cows" stuff, the eerie music, even the fact that they are referred to as "them".

Link Master

The Hero's Master
To me they are one of two things either aliens or the Gorman brothers just making reflections to scare everyone . I think this because I think the Gorman brothers want to take control of the ranch.

Zeanith

The Shadow Knight
I always believed they were aliens. And it was my favorite minigame of Majora's Mask, even though it was always very hard (for me, anyway...) And I always felt really bad when Romani got abducted. Felt as if it was my fault. XD but, yes, definately aliens. As skull_kid said, the abducting of the cows proves that. You never hear of any haunted ranches ur farms, but what do you hear? Tales of crop circles, animal abduction/experimentation, and old farmers in their 70's ranting about how they got probed.

D

DarkMark

To me they are one of two things either aliens or the Gorman brothers just making reflections to scare everyone . I think this because I think the Gorman brothers want to take control of the ranch.
Okay, one part makes sense since they do want to take over the milk scene, however, reflections? Them really do steal the cows, and blow up the roof to the barn. I can't see a reflection doing that! I believe they are aliens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that they are clearly Aliens, I don't see what would lead anyone to believe that they are infact Monsters and not Aliens. Everything about them points towards Aliens...the abducting of cows, how they just warp to the field (in beams of light leading from the sky if I remember correctly), how they look and the eerie music that is playing in the background. They even are built like Aliens and how they just hover.

I would just like to ask...please, what in this minigame believes anyone into believing that these guys are Monsters? I just really don't see what makes these guys seem like monsters, come on, she even calls these guys "Them".

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well they could be both but the alien theory is more likely. 'Oh but MK alien have only been around for a few decades' as some of you might say. This however is very false. Humans have seen aliens (or at least reported it in some way) since we were living in caves and Nintendo was still a trading card company. I'm just not going to get too into it as it would be deemed spam here by many (including the mods).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkcj...045535CB&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11

The fact that the creepy scifi music says it all in addition to the abduction attempt of Romani and the cows.

I find no legit reason to suspect they were monsters or ghosts.

Nintendo went through a crapload of trouble to make them like aliens. There's no reason to suspect that they aren't supposed to be aliens. The only reason I can think of would be some elaborate plot twist, but nothing of the sort is implied in the game.

So I believe that they're aliens.

Zarom

The King
I have always tought they were aliens. First time they appeared, I was stressed and they eventually succeeded in stealing the cows... and Romani. -.-

They have a spaceship which they use just like real aliens (in movies, at least :lol:) ... anyway. They don't seem to be monsters, they levitate and they can teleport anywhere they want. So, yeah, freakin' aliens... :)

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Aliens. I think the whole issue is a nod to The Cattle Files, a bunch of reports by farmers about their cattle being abducted by aliens. Nintendo seems to enjoy referencing things in the real world, so I'm convinced that those enemies are supposed to be aliens.

Clearly aliens? Oh, I don't know. The way "They" are portrayed makes me think of both aliens, and monsters. They look like some sort of monsters to me, or ghosts, but more like monsters. I seriously doubt they are ghosts- we already know, form meeting the phantom of Dampe in oot that these ghosts are transparent and immaterial.
But, as we can can tell by sticking arrows in in them, "They" are solid.

Therefore, we can rule ghosts out as being what they are. Aliens, though...
They look like monsters, but the way the act...Teleportation, Beaming up the cows, and romani, appparently brainwashing her or removing her memory...these all seem quite typical of what people think of as aliens.
I think this is going to be quite hard to tell...."They" seem to blur the line between monsters and aliens.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I never would have thought of monsters before. I don't see it at all. It's always been alien in my head.
I'm not really going to go off an explain, as everyone else has pretty much done that. Aliens just make more sense.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
The whole thing with them struck me as very "X-Files." It seemed to me that they were a parody of all the stories we've all heard since the 1950s or so about aliens.

At least they were just interested in adducting the cows, not leaving behind mutliated carcasses. *Shudder.* If MM were a more "adult" game, Nintendo could have done a lot worse.

Clearly aliens? Oh, I don't know. The way "They" are portrayed makes me think of both aliens, and monsters. They look like some sort of monsters to me, or ghosts, but more like monsters. I seriously doubt they are ghosts- we already know, form meeting the phantom of Dampe in oot that these ghosts are transparent and immaterial.
But, as we can can tell by sticking arrows in in them, "They" are solid.

Therefore, we can rule ghosts out as being what they are. Aliens, though...
They look like monsters, but the way the act...Teleportation, Beaming up the cows, and romani, appparently brainwashing her or removing her memory...these all seem quite typical of what people think of as aliens.
I think this is going to be quite hard to tell...."They" seem to blur the line between monsters and aliens.
While it's true there's nothing that directly proves They are aliens, you have to understand that everything about them is based on alien themes. Abducting cows, coming from the sky in balls of light, their music, etc.

Their appearance is clearly based on the Flatwoods Monster, a cryptid generally assumed to be an alien. There was a second creature identified by the same name that is generally assumed to be a ship or craft belonging to the original monster, which looked something like a pulsating ball of light, which brings to mind the balls of light in which They appear from in MM.

So it's clear that Nintendo was going for an alien feel, at the very least. Since they went to such lengths to theme them after aliens, I see no reason to doubt that They aren't intended to be aliens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom