• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Zelda Netflix Rumors Are Back. What do you all think? Would We Even Want This?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The rumors stem from nothing. The source cited by video doesn't present anything beyond the there-are-rumors-and-wouldn't-it-be-cool malarkey that we've seen a dozen times already.

That being said, my ideal Zelda adaptation wouldn't adapt any game in particular, because video game adaptations spend too much time trying to copy the source material and not enough time endeavoring to tell a good story. If I had to list a few specifics, they'd be these:

1) Make it a mini-series. Spreading the storyline out across, say, ten or twelve episodes, allows for some flexibility in the storytelling without falling into the trap of trying to cram too much story in the too little screentime of a film.

2) Do not directly adapt the storyline of any one game. None of the games have the narrative pacing or plot necessary to be translated into a TV series. It should be an original affair that adapts characters, settings, and themes, but the plot should be entirely original.

2) There is no Link. The concept of the Link, a time traveling warriors who appears in times of need and then vanishes, is (probably) a legend passed down from parent to child as a great darkness skirts around Hyrule's borders.

3) Ganon is already in power. Treat his conquering of Hyrule as a past tense scenario. Dedicate some screentime to the more rational Ganon that's only ever been hinted at in the games. Maybe he's trying to mediate a livable situation between the monster races of Hyrule, the Gerudo, and the native Hylians. If he's treated as a megalomaniac, he isn't interesting as a villain.

4) Zelda is the protagonist. Make her closer in spirit to the likes of Tetra and the Princess Zelda of Breath of the Wild. The series needs at least one compelling lead to carry the story, and the vaguely mystical princess who stands off to the side and offers bland advice is not it.

There are more things that I in particular would like, but that would just be me dealing out some fanfiction. I'd love for the show to take key inspiration from the Castlevania cartoon, which was excellent and a perfect example of how to adapt a video game.

Last edited:

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Merely just a rumor, and nothing more. :)
Quoth the Kaepora Gaebora, "Nevermore."

Like everyone, I wouldn't put too much stock in these rumours.

At this point though I think I would actually be down for another, better adaptation of the source material, but do think if any series does eventuate, it would need to draw inspiration from the series and be its own thing rather than adapt the games (or one game) flat out. Think what NetFlix did with The Haunting of Hill House. The story is remarkably different to Shirley Jackson's novella and the original adaptation of it, but the inspiration drawn and taken from the source material is kept well within the spirit of the original story. Or even better, think Cadence of Hyrule. Definitely could fit within the larger Zelda universe as it adapts its inspiration very well, but at the same time it was able to be its own thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom