• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda The Zelda Fanbase

Salem

SICK
Well, it kind of seemed imposing to me, so sorry that I misunderstood you. :sweat:
That's why I said "suggest" not "should" or any other word, I could've worded that statement better.

But, then again, what right do I have to tell fans to stop insulting other fans?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Twilight Princess sold like hot cakes
Because of "IT'S REALISTIC OMG SPACEWORLD"
and many people think SS is a great game.
Many people conversely think SS is a horrible Zelda.
On that note huge percentages of the fanbase HATE Zelda I, Zelda II, MM, FS, FSA, but of course we've "always" been getting good games until the likes of Wind Waker On another note, the dog analogy doesn't really make sense at all. Strangers can be great people.
Yes. Dogs will bark at strangers. If the dog approaches the stranger, and it turns out that the stranger really is nice, the dog may stop barking. This happened with the likes of MM; it was hated by fans on release, but nowadays everyone is just dying for it to be remade. This happened with the likes of WW; it was hated on REVEAL, let alone release, yet not people are gushing for TWWHD. If the dog (us fans) give the games a chance, we may see greatness out of the game. But more than likely, if we see something different, we will bark. And moan. And call it ****.

Personally, I think we are the most pampered of all the game followings. We have been given games that are so memorable and so, just, mind blowing in their awesomeness, that any new Zelda title that doesn't quiiiiite get us to that happy place is written off as junk. I have always been at least 3-5 years behind in my hardware, so a "new" Zelda title to me is old to everyone else. The "new" Zelda games I am playing are from 2007.

Nintendo built itself a fanbase with high standards. I think the issue comes with the fact that although we all have high standards, they are grossly different standards. Nintendo can't cram all of our wants into one game and still get in the innovations that they have been hired to include. When a new games comes out, those who like it generally stay fairly quiet, and those that hate it tell anybody who will listen. The only Zelda game I haven't liked before playing was WW, and that was because of the graphics (typical, I know :P). Eventually I played it anyway and although it did increase in value in my mind, it was not enough for me to say I truly enjoyed the game. But! I find that I really like other Zelda games that others thought were sore disappointments.

It is both wonderful and unfortunate that we are such a mixed up bunch of people. :) Nintendo attracts a lot of different kinds of people to the Zelda franchise, and our gamer needs are different. It is a testament to the greatness of Zelda that we are all here, but it guarantees that Nintendo will never be able to fully satisfy the fans.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Not relevant to the conversation.
The conversation, kiddo, is about thoughts on the Zelda fanbase. Everything related to the fanbase is relevant. Are you going to argue otherwise? What is the title of this thread?
You didn't get my point.
Obviously not. What was your point? That people like some games and others don't? Of course we all have our opinions. Everyone in the world does. But the Zelda fanbase as a whole is like a pack of dogs, and that's where my "awful analogy" comes in. We get mad at things that are different, but if we try them out we might find good in them.

One thing I've noticed about the fanbase is that a lot of it seems to be better at telling people they suck at arguing than they are at actually arguing.

They also argue too much anyway.

One thing I've noticed about the fanbase is that a lot of it seems to be better at telling people they suck at arguing. . .

Hahaha :D This is absolutely true. But it happens when we can't agree. And a lot of people end up just posting once instead of ending up in on-going convos on a thread, which provides for a better sense of independent opinions. It can be fun sometimes, though.

Salem

SICK
I think this fanbase's biggest problem isn't the "whining" or the complaining. It's how self-loathing the fanbase is. It always seems that everyone just hates everyone else.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I think this fanbase's biggest problem isn't the "whining" or the complaining. It's how self-loathing the fanbase is. It always seems that everyone just hates everyone else.

... because they have different opinions from each other, which is complete and total stupidity. A lot of fans in general struggle with the fact that other people think differently than themselves, and flat-out refuse to respect it. That's the part of the fanbase which makes me want to rip my hair out.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
... because they have different opinions from each other, which is complete and total stupidity. A lot of fans in general struggle with the fact that other people think differently than themselves, and flat-out refuse to respect it. That's the part of the fanbase which makes me want to rip my hair out.

Here's the best part: when you see someone disrespecting someone else, just ignore them. And to the disrespecters (that's me): ignore opinions that aren't your own. There's no reason why everyone in the world has to agree with you. If that were the case, we'd all be like this:
The_same_game141.jpg

Salem

SICK
Yeah, disagreeing is always gonna happen, but the problem is labelling the other with unnecessary words like "whiner" or "nostalgia blind".

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Guys, it's impossible to make a general statement about the fanbase, so I suggest you should stop trying.
What?...
Honestly you guys, can you really expect the Fanbase to be pleasable? After Nintendo treated us to amazing game after amazing game, then started leading us on with good games? Anyone would be disappointed if they were given a B film after several AAA films except for the most curious. That's how the Zelda Fanbase is: we were given all these great things (Nintendo spoiled us with AAA titles), then later on we were given lower quality things (Nintendo started making average games). Disappointment should be in the volume that it currently is and also completely expected. Sure, it'd be great if we could just bite our lip when something not-so-great comes our way, but you can't really expect a dog not to bark if it sees a stranger, now can you? :right:
How are the newer titles not great? Just because they aren't as good as the older titles doesn't mean they are bad. You're setting yourself up for disappointment when you compare the modern Zeldas to classic Zeldas. The reasoning that "It's not as good as the classics" is a poor argument itself. The other problem is that it seems like you are implying that your opinion is fact. This whole post screams "I am right and you are wrong". You can just continue to compare every new Zelda to Ocarina of Time. I don't really care, you are just ruining the fun for yourself.
Because of "IT'S REALISTIC OMG SPACEWORLD"
They made Twilight Princess realistic because people were complaining that The Wind Waker didn't have a realistic style that the Space World demo had... Then Nintendo gives the fans what they wanted and the fans still complained.

I cant wait until Zelda Wii U is announced so when it's not the same graphical style as the E3 Zelda Tech Demo people can whine about it. People are going to complain and then Nintendo will give the fans what they want and the fans will complain more. (Sarcasm)

Yes. Dogs will bark at strangers. If the dog approaches the stranger, and it turns out that the stranger really is nice, the dog may stop barking. This happened with the likes of MM; it was hated by fans on release, but nowadays everyone is just dying for it to be remade. This happened with the likes of WW; it was hated on REVEAL, let alone release, yet not people are gushing for TWWHD. If the dog (us fans) give the games a chance, we may see greatness out of the game. But more than likely, if we see something different, we will bark. And moan. And call it ****.

True, but you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

One thing I've noticed about the fanbase is that a lot of it seems to be better at telling people they suck at arguing than they are at actually arguing.

This post is so perfect right now. I want to like it so badly.

*Likes*

I think it's both. People whine and complain and then the "open minded" fans defend it and the a debate starts. People don't really respect other people's opinions and think that their opinion is fact. I've seen this happen so many times and I think that's the biggest problem with the fanbase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom