• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler The Book of Magic

Hello, before you dive in... I'm always updating this page as I look into new possibilities within the Zelda lore. With that said, I hope you enjoy the read! :D

THIS GON' BE GOOD

The downfall time line was an itch that I could never scratch. There were always just too many questions left unanswered. No matter where I looked, I could never find the truth. For a time, I sealed away the the concept having faith that one day the truth would reveal itself. Then nintendo released the trailer for Breathe of the Wild 2. Caught up with work, I unfortunately missed it.

Then Zelda content started flowing into my feed once again. New discoveries were being unearthed that would change the history of Hyrule. A re-release of skyward sword was put on the shelves! Man had awoken! And with a new found spirit, a flame was lit in my heart to discover the greatest secret of the Official Zelda Timeline!

Thus, I began the quest for the mystery shrouded in Hyrule's twisted past...

I started with the back in time theory where THoT goes back to the unified timeline a second time after Majora's Mask. Logically, if CT spawns from link changing the past of AT, then the properties of DT should be the same, right? Unfortunately, the existence of the Hero's Shade mocked this theory. How could the HoT exist in spirit of CT should he have created a new reality?

That wasn't going to work, and the mystery once again faded into obscurity. It seemed that the answers were sealed with the Zelda team... It was starting to look as though my future was going to be cast in shadow once again. However, I'm persistent and was starting to become desperate. So I started tearing up the carpet, breaking the furniture, and searching every corner of the Zelda universe for anything!

Then I came across a strange continuity error at the end of OoT. I noticed that Young Link leaves the Master Sword to meet Zelda before she flees from Ganondorf. Such thing was a strange occurrence as Link had only opened the Door of Time after Zelda fled Hyrule. That could have been a mistake by the developers, except that they continue to hint at this idea in Majora's Mask where Zelda teaches the song of time as a parting grace, rather than an instruction to open the DoT. So, I explored the possibility that the child timeline has a separate history...

It was a concept that was possible considering that CT has a separate future from AT. Outside of Link's perspective, we don't know the history of Hyrule leading up to a possibility where the Door of Time is opened prematurely. And with a new theory + evidence to support it, I knew I was on to something. But then the question continued to ask where the history separates from the UT. So, whenever there's a split, we look to the books.

I turned back to the HH Official Timeline and noticed a quirk in the unified timeline: GBA A Link to The Past existing at the same time of Four Swords. I never really paid much attention to ALttP, nor did I care for anything Capcom Zelda, but the GBA version is specifically placed before the events of Ocarina of Time. Maybe that was just so that FS had a spot on the timeline? Maybe, but then I noticed the Encyclopedia Timeline...

In the encyclopedia timeline, there is no depiction of the GBA ALttP, only Foursword title in text. Other changes were made as well like the placement of ALBW, and the addition of the banishment of Twili. Then, at the bottom of the page a text reads that the timeline is up to the player's imagination, and therefor the timeline changes. Now, one might see that as a jab to Zelda theorists, but as someone who buys into the theory that the player is in fact the Hero's Spirit, I saw it as a clue. Although before I dove in, I did some research into other remakes just to cover my bases.

Interestingly, I discovered that in Skyward Sword HD there's a ng+ oddity that the sword remembers past battles and immediately reaches a max skyward strike, and continues to grow to 4x the power by the end of the game. It was nothing that would truly change the events of the timeline, but a change in continuity none the less. I continued to look into other remakes and noticed the weird quirk of Majora's Mask HD remake where Tatl knows what Tael is going to say on ng+. Once again, minor continuity changes, but changes none the less. So with two remakes having altered events, I was left with no other option but to investigate GBA ALttP.

I decided to do a quick internet search to see the big differences between the snes and GBA port. If you are familiar with the gba port, you probably know about the eery secret ending of the gba version. This ending shows the dark world and the various bosses still alive. Wait, did Link not save the Sacred realm??? Maybe I was getting ahead of myself. Maybe this is nothing new to Zelda Theorists. So, I do some theory research. Ater all, it has been some time that I looked into Zelda theory craft.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to zelda theories, and will easily dismiss a theory if something smells fishy. Although I did stumble across the wish theory. A theory posted here. It assumes that Link's wish in ALttP is what enables the HoT to succeed. It was a good possibility considering there was positive feedback among the community. However, the creator didn't have evidence, and there were still questions. Regardless, I continued my search for clues within the source material of the games and turned to the instruction manuals.

The instruction manuals always give a healthy dose of Zelda lore. So I read among the pages and the Legend of Hyrule tells it's usual story of the Goddesses, the Hylians, and the gates to the golden land. The gates were accidently opened by Ganondorf, and the king of thieves claimed the Triforce, made a wish, and the imprisoning war commenced. Typical downfall timeline stuff, ok.

Let's look into the GBA instruction manual. Right off the bat suspicion is raised as it goes on it's own dialogue to point out that the world was in chaos. That couldn't mean much though, right? I knew The Zelda Team was up to something. So I kept reading, and of course, I encounter the change of the Seven Wise men to The Seven Sages... Okay nintendo, Sages aren't something to just lazily throw in there as a minor retranslation. Not to me, at least. But that still wasn't an answer. Just another obscure clue. Until I read the manual again, and then it hit me.

The story of Ganondorf wishing on the Triforce was replaced by another series of events in the gba manual. Instead of Ganondorf finding the relic, it states that no one could locate the relic. And there it was. Undeniable proof that gba ALttP is different than snes ALttP.

But I continued on to the actual game itself just to see what all had changed. I watch the games' opening cut-scenes. And once again it happens... During the snes version opening cut-scene, it states that people aggressively tried to find the entrance to the sacred realm but could not. In the gba version, a portal opened and people aggressively tried to find the Triforce within, but could not. Alright Nintendo, spill the beans. What's going on here? Why does one game have people searching for the gates, and the other where people found it? Why wasn't the Triforce in the sacred realm? So many questions, but with courage in my heart, I kept going.

The game opens up, and I watch as Link's uncle leaves the house. I watch Link follow. I watch Link's uncle die. I watch read Link's Uncle's dying breathes. And there it was again.... In the snes he scolds Link for coming. However in the gba version, He tells Link that it is his fate. It was at this point I knew something huge was about to drop...

Then it happened. Not even 30 minutes into the game and The Zelda team spills the beans. When Link speaks to Sahasrahla for the second time, the old man reveals the crucial lore that undeniably separates the two games completely. I'll put direct quotes from both games to compare side-by-side.

snes version "These Knights Of Hyrule were also guardians of the Pendant Of Courage... Unfortunately, most of them were destroyed in the great war against evil that took place when the seven wise men created their seal. Among the descendants of the Knight Of Hyrule a hero must appear."

GBA version "It has been said that whenever disaster waylays the royal family, a Hero shall emerge from the bloodline of the knights of Hyrule... Unfortunately, most of them were destroyed in the great war against evil that took place when the seven sages created their seal, so it was thought that a hero would never again emerge..."

I couldn't overlook this as just a bad retranslation. The prophecies between the two games were fundamentally different. The Lore is fundamentally different. And the ending is fundamentally different. If my suspicions are correct, this game is evidence of the downfall timeline being more than a what-if scenario, and I have the evidence to support it.

So what would that mean for the history of Zelda as a whole?

Well, if the timeline is accurate, and the lore is true, then gba version does take in fact take place in the unified timeline at the same time as Foursword. This would explain the throwbacks to the era of chaos. It would explain the change from wise men to the sages. Most importantly, it would explain why Ganondorf is never mentioned to discover the gates of the sacred realm. Instead the Hylians had to have discovered it first, and the people were free to enter the sacred realm.

However if man could never find the Triforce then most likely the evil that turned the sacred realm into the dark world was the corruption and malice of man. Following it being sealed by the seven sages during the era of chaos.

But that's just a theory. Although it's a theory I can subscribe to. It has so much supporting evidence. It holds no continuity errors within the official timeline. It connects the DT to the UT in the same way the AT is connected. It maintains the properties of time-travel where existing presents continue to exist. It proves the continuity error at the end of OoT was intentional. Most importantly, it explains the sudden disappearance of GBA ALttP from the encyclopedia's timeline. The evidence is there, and the translation discrepancies are no mistake.

So let's exercise the likely outcome of this theory...

The gba game fates Link to fail his quest. Subsequently, Ganon is free to wish upon the Triforce. We don't know what he wished for, but most likely he wishes for his victory in the future. So, with no hero to stop Ganon, the descendants of the Sages seal Ganon in the sacred realm. Ganon is reincarnated as Ganondorf, The King of Theives. By accident, he discovers the Sprit Temple, an ancient portal to the sacred realm. Ganon claims the Triforce and wishes to rule the land.

This time, we know that Ganondorf wishes to rule the land, granting him dominion over the sacred realm. Following is the imprisoning war, and the Seven wise men seal Ganon in the sacred realm. A new prophecy is told that a hero must appear, and he does. This Link successfully stops Ganon, and claims the Triforce. The Triforce tells Link that this time is safe. What would Link naturally wish for, but to thwart Ganon in the past.

Requeue the events of gba ALttP, but this time the era of Chaos is rewritten as the era of light and dark, spawning the creation of AlttP proper to happen before OoT so that the Hero could succeed. With gba Link succeeding, He is free to wish on the Triforce of that time. In both games the Triforce tells Link that it can't decipher between good and evil. With this Link having no reason to stop Ganon in the past, he would most likely wish that only those with a pure heart can wish upon the Triforce to prevent a future where Ganon could wish upon the Triforce.

Re-queue OoT. Ganondorf reaches the sacred realm, but as Ganondorf touches the Triforce, Link's wish activates and the Triforce splits initiating the AT. Fast-forward to the end of OoT. Zelda sends THoT back to the past. However, he is sent to the events right before the split. Link arrives early, opens the DoT, and wishes for the triforce of power to never existed.

Rewind to the era of light and dark. History is rewritten without the creation of the Triforce of Power. Without the Triforce of Power the land is cast into shadow and begins to crumble. Man desperately begins their search to find a Triforce but is driven mad and begins to create Malice. In the final moments The Hero of Men, rises up and collects the Triforce of Wisdom and Courage. and is blessed with a new Triforce of Power: The Light Force, along with Piccori Blade. The Hero Men fends off the Malice, and the Light Force joins with the two Triforce to save the land. THoM, knowing the outcome of a world without a Light force and possessing a complete Triforce, wishes for a bright future.

The History of light and Dark is once again is rewritten leading up to the events of Ganondorf unable to obtain a Triforce of Power in CT, and what should have been Ganondorf's execution. However the new history writes in the Triforce of Power to have always existed, hidden within the Arbiter's Ground. Just as Ganondorf is about to be defeated for good, the Light Force suddenly imbues it's strength within Ganondorf allowing him to survive his imminent destruction. Ganondorf is sealed in the Mirror of Twilight, but eventually breaks free. The Hero of Twilight rises and defeats Ganondorf. However Ganondorf uses the remaining Power of the Light Force to wish that the history of light and dark is written in blood before he dies.

THE DOWNFALL TIMELINE IS SOLVED

Last edited:
My conclusion of your conclusion is bolded and underlined below, please let me know if it is correct.

Then I came across a strange continuity error at the end of OoT. The DoT is opened before Zelda flees Hyrule. That could have been a mistake by the developers, except that they continue to hint at this idea in Majora's Mask where zelda teaches the song of time as a parting grace, rather than an instruction to open the DoT. So, I explored the idea that the child timeline has a separate history...

That's actually possible considering that CT has a separate future from AT, so it would need a separate past to lead into those events. So with a new theory and evidence to support it, I knew I was on to something. But then the question would continue to ask where the history separates from the UT. It couldn't be the skyward sword. The time loops are stable with the Gates of Time... It had to be some time later...
So the central question is when is the so-called "Nexus Event" for the Child Timeline's starting point? If the CT has a separate future, than it must have had a separate past to explain why the DoT is open?

Then I looked at the HH Timeline and noticed a quirk in the unified timeline. I noticed A Link to The Past + Four Swords. I never really paid much attention to ALttP, nor did I care for anything capcom Zelda, but the GBA version is specifically placed in the unified timeline along with Foursword. Maybe that was just so that FS had a spot on the timeline? Maybe, but then I noticed the Encyclopedia Timeline...

In this timeline, there is no mention of the gba ALttP, only Foursword. To add insult to injury, there is a snide remark from Nintendo at the bottom of the page stating the timeline is up to the player's imagination, and therefor the timeline changed. One might see that as a jab to Zelda theorists, but as someone who buys into the theory that the player is in fact the Hero's Spirit, I saw it as a clue. But before I dived in, I did some research into other remakes just to cover my bases.
The snide remark was mainly for the Link's Awakening & Oracle games swap. And in regards to ALTTP+FS being on the UT in HH, only the photo references the game; not the actual game title. But I'll roll with it.

Interestingly, I discovered that in Skyward Sword HD there's a ng+ oddity that the sword remembers past battles and immediately reaches a max sword strike, and continues to grow to 4x the power by the end of the game. Nothing that would truly change the events of the timeline, but a change in continuity none the less. I continued to look into other remakes and noticed the weird quirk of Majora's Mask HD remake where Tatl knows what Tael is going to say on ng+. Once again, minor continuity changes, but changes none the less. So with those two having weird canon I decided it was worth going down a rabbit hole for ALttP and it's gba remake...
This kind of ties into your earlier theory that Master Mode(s) and new save files are canonized. Which, considering they are in-game and are primary sources, I'd tend to agree with you on.

I decided to do a quick internet search to see the big differences between the two games. If you are familiar with the gba porty, you probably know that the first thing I found was the eery secret ending of the gba version. This ending shows the dark world and the various bosses still alive. Wait, did Link not save the Sacred realm??? Maybe I was getting ahead of myself. Maybe this is nothing new to Zelda Theorists. So, I do some theory research.
Reading this as a dark alternate ending to ALTTP+FS is interesting. Except how did the bosses come back to life after Link killed them? I don't think these credits are canon. He's just defeated the Four Sword Links, the Four Sword has merged with the Master Sword. There's no way that he doesn't eventually defeat Ganon. But if the credits are canon, Link failed and Ganon did resurrect the already defeated bosses? it still works...let's keep going.

The instruction manuals always give a healthy dose of Zelda lore. So I read among the pages and the Legend of Hyrule tells it's story as usual of the Goddesses, the Hylians, and the gates to the golden land. The gates were accidently opened by Ganondorf, and the king of thieves claimed the Triforce, made a wish, and the imprisoning war commenced. Typical downfall timeline stuff, ok.

Let's look into the GBA instruction manual. Right off the bat suspicion is raised as it goes on it's own dialogue to point out that the world was in chaos. That couldn't mean much though, right? But then the manual leaves out the story of Ganondorf finding the sacred realm and the imprisoning war. Instead it states that the gate was found in Hyrule, and many people entered it seeking the Triforce, but alas, no one could locate the relic. WOAH. That's a potentially significant change in story, but it still could have been a minor translation error. Although I smelled a conspiracy.

I knew The Zelda Team was up to something. So I kept reading. Then, of course, I read the infamous change of the seven wise men to the Sages... Okay nintendo, Sages aren't something to just lazily throw in there as a minor retranslation. Not to me, at least. But that still wasn't an answer. Just another obscure clue.
This is fascinating.

From the ALTTP manual: "Many aggressively searched for the wish-granting Triforce, but no one, not even Hylian sages, was sure of its location; the knowledge had been lost over time...One day, quite by accident, a gate to the Golden Land of the Triforce was opened by a gang of thieves skilled in the black arts."
From the GBA manual: "After many years, an opening was found that led from our fair Hyrule to the Golden Land, where the mystical Triforce was still hidden. Many sought treasure in this place, but none returned -- only beings of great evil emerged from the Golden Land."

A couple things: in the SNES manual, it does say sages. It doesn't say seven sages, but it does reference the Hylian sages. But the change is there. In one telling, only Ganondorf Dragmire and his thieve's find the Sacred Realm portal. In the other telling, the people find the Sacred Realm portal, but they can't locate the Triforce.

I continued on to the actual game itself. I watch the games' opening cut-scenes. And once again it happens... In the snes version the opening cut-scene states that people aggressively tried to find the entrance to the sacred realm but could not. In the gba version, a portal opened and people aggressively tried to find the Triforce within, but could not. Alright Nintendo, spill the beans. What's going on here? Why does one game have no one find the sacred realm and the other have it opened to the public? I was getting eerily close. So, I continue to watch...
Even more fascinating (and even more primary)....

From the ALTTP opening: "Many aggressively sought to enter the hidden Golden Land...But no one ever returned. One day evil power began to flow from the Golden Land..."
From the GBA opening: "[The Triforce] was hidden in a sacred realm beyond the reach of men, but one day...a doorway to that realm was suddenly opened...Hoping to claim the Golden Power as their own, the people began to quarrel and fight...Many sought to enter the hidden Golden Land...But none returned, and instead evil power began to issue forth from the dark portal..."

This one is not as convincingly different as the manuals. There is added text to the GBA version, yes, but the given circumstances could definitely be the same in the SNES version. But I'm sticking with you...something is definitely fishy.

Then it happened. Not even 30 minutes into the game and The Zelda team spills the beans. When Link speaks to Sahasrahla for the second time, the old man reveals crucial lore that undeniably separates the two games completely. I'll put direct quotes from both games to compare side-by-side.

snes version "These Knights Of Hyrule were also guardians of the Pendant Of Courage... Unfortunately, most of them were destroyed in the great war against evil that took place when the seven wise men created their seal. Among the descendants of the Knight Of Hyrule a hero must appear."

GBA version "It has been said that whenever disaster waylays the royal family, a Hero shall emerge from the bloodline of the knights of Hyrule... Unfortunately, most of them were destroyed in the great war against evil that took place when the seven sages created their seal, so it was thought that a hero would never again emerge..."

There it was, The Answer.

I couldn't overlook this retranslation. Prophecies were no joke in the Zelda universe, and there was too much evidence to deny the truth of gba ALttP.
I...think I got lost. In both, it says that a hero will emerge from the bloodline of the knights of Hyrule. The prophecy is the same. In the second, it essentially says that some doubted the prophecy, but, as you say, prophecies are no joke. However, the fact that there is doubt in the second may be telling about the truth of the prophecy, so we can roll with it.

In the GBA version... Link is fated to fail.

And he does. In the secret ending, Link never emerges from the Palace of the Foursword to defeat Ganon and claim the Triforce. Link fails, and Ganon is free to wish upon the Triforce. This could be the biggest secret in the Zelda timeline considering it's implications for the timeline as a whole. So let's explore what this actually means.

If the timeline is accurate then gba version does take in fact take place in the unified timeline at the same time as Foursword. This would explain the throwbacks to the era of chaos. It would explain the change from wise men to the sages. Most importantly, it would explain why Ganondorf is never mentioned to discover the gates of the sacred realm, but instead the Hylians discovered it first. Most likely the evil that turned the sacred realm into the dark world was the corruption and malice of man. Furthermore, it mentions no arrival of a Hero which explains the change in prohecy.
This is a super interesting observation. During the Era of Chaos, and the Interloper War, it's said that the people of Hyrule were fighting over the Triforce. So having the change in timeline placement for ALTTP+FS, as well as the change in who was finding the Triforce is incredibly convincing.

Although, there are still unanswered questions as to how the Foursword fits into all of this. Well, let's continue to explore how this likely scenario would play out...

The gba game fates Link to fail his quest. Subsequently, Ganon is free to wish upon the Triforce. We don't know what he wished for, but most likely he wishes for the failure of Link in the future ensuring his victory in all times. With no Hero to stop Ganon, the descendants of the Sages seal Ganon in the sacred realm. Ganondorf is revived outside the dark world, and it is fated by Ganon's wish that he accidently finds the gate to the sacred realm initiating the imprisoning war and DT.
**** I got lost again. Ganon wishes upon the Triforce that he always win? But...that isn't his motivation. His motivation was to turn the Light World into the Dark World. He doesn't have some universal purpose, as of yet.

Ok so let's say he makes the wish to ensure his victory in all times. He is revived outside the dark world because he wishes to win in all times? What is the mechanism for that revival? And once he wishes for that revival, that is what then leads to ALTTP proper?

However, history nearly repeats itself and the events of ALttP start once again in DT. This time, we know that Ganondorf wishes to rule the world, granting him dominion over the dark world. Following is the imprisoning war, and the Seven wise men seal Ganon in the sacred realm. A new prophecy is told that a hero must appear, and he does. This Link successfully stops Ganon, and claims the Triforce. The Triforce tells Link that this time is safe, so what would Link naturally wish for, but to thwart Ganon in the past. Requeue the events of gba ALttP, but this time gba Link succeeds because of snes Link's wish, creating a link to the past.
Apparently so. Ganon wishes on the Triforce after ALTTP+FS, gets sealed, gets resurrected, loses to Lin in ALTTP, meaning Ganon's wish on the Triforce is actually unsuccessful as he does lose.

But because the Hero of Legend ends up winning, he also wishes to thwart Ganon's plans in the past, thus leading to a different ending to the ALTTP+FS where Link doesn't enter the Palace of the Four Sword and he just kills Ganon, thus preventing ALTTP from ever happening. And also creating the new timeline that leads into Ocarina of Time. Did I get that right?

Fast-forward to the end of OoT. Zelda sends THoT back to the past. However, he is sent to the origin of DT where Ganondorf can still wish on the Triforce. Link arrives early, opens the DoT, and wishes for Ganondorf to never exist. Re-queue the era of Chaos, but history is rewritten with the creation of the Piccori blade, and The Hero of Men. The Hero of Men seals the evil in a chest rather than the Seven Sages sealing the sacred realm. The events of gba never happen, and the force era unfolds introducing Vaati, and the Foursword.
Ok I'm truly lost.

Link goes into the PotFS>Ganon wins>Ganon wishes on the Triforce>Ganon gets sealed>Ganon gets resurrected>Link wins>Link wishes on the Triforce ----> Link DOESN'T go into the PotFS>Link wins>Ocarina of Time happens>Ganon tricks Zelda, rules for 7 years>Zelda sends Link back in time to after ALTTP+FS ----> Link breaks into the Temple of Time, opening the Door of Time early>Link wishes on the Triforce ----> Link erases Ganondorf, leaving The Minish Cap as the only true game in the Zelda series as it's the only one that doesn't have Ganondorf or is a sequel to one that doesn't have Ganondorf.

Is that right?

This theory is iron-clad. It has supporting evidence. It holds no continuity errors within the official timeline. It connects the DT to the UT in the same way the AT is connected. It maintains the properties of time-travel where existing presents continue to exist. It creates an explanation to the existence of the Four sword. It proves the continuity error at the end of OoT was intentional. Most importantly, it explains the sudden disappearance of GBA ALttP from the encyclopedia's timeline. The evidence is there, the translation from "wise men" to "sages" was no mistake.

Now I only have more questions. Why doesn't Link remember the Song of Time in Majora's mask? Why does the Four Sword exist in the continued child timeline? Did another wish take effect in the AT which prevented The Hero's Spirit to not return? Only time will tell...
It maintains the properties of multiversal time travel. Which I don't subscribe to, I'm a linearist. So I disagree on principle, but the theory is nonetheless very interesting. The explanation of the creation of the Four Sword is pretty straightforward though. It was forged with the Picori Blade, given by the Minish who come from the Minish Realm (the Sky Realm). If the continuity error at the end of OoT was intentional, this was not the intention.

But it does somewhat plausibly connect the DT to the existing canon without a fundamental rewrite to Ocarina of Time's story. And it explains the potentially canonical ending for the "bad" ending of ALTTP+FS in the same way NBC's alternate DT theory explains the alternate ending in MC. So, well done!

Answering the questions: I think Link does remember the Song of Time; Zelda's just playing it for him because she knows they won't see each other for a while and they bond over music.

I'm assuming we are disregarding Four Swords Adventures for your timeline. Because you also have the first Ganondorf being the one from A Link to the Past + Four Swords which...that's muddy. So I would either make FSA a prequel to ALTTP or just disregard it.

On the linear timeline (the one from way back in the day), Link didn't return because he was in a multi-millenniaum time loop in Termina. The reason the Hero's Spirit didn't return in the split timeline is that Link time-traveled. This theory shouldn't be changing that unless I missed something.

Very interesting and detailed theory; well done!

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
You did a lot of work, but it all hinges on changes in dialog between different versions of the game. I'm inclined to think they made those changes because they thought they were improving the story over the original, and some of those changes are better. For example:

ALTTP manual - "Many aggressively searched for the wish-granting Triforce, but no one, not even Hylian sages, was sure of its location; the knowledge had been lost over time...One day, quite by accident, a gate to the Golden Land of the Triforce was opened by a gang of thieves skilled in the black arts."
GBA manual - "After many years, an opening was found that led from our fair Hyrule to the Golden Land, where the mystical Triforce was still hidden. Many sought treasure in this place, but none returned -- only beings of great evil emerged from the Golden Land."

This translation is basically the same but they cut out the part about Ganondorf and his band of thieves opening the Sacred Realm by accident. This makes sense because that explanation never matched OoT, and people brought that up on the web years ago. They omitted that info so the means by which Ganondorf got into the Sacred Realm could match OoT narratively. The last sentence is clearly referencing the state of the Golden Realm presently during the events of ALttP, it's the Dark World now which is why only beings of great evil emerge from it.

The change from Wise men to sages also doesn't alter much. It makes more sense in light of OoT to just use sages throughout in that dialog instead of wise men.

So overall, I think you're reading too far into revision.

The theory that the wish on the Triforce in ALttP was so strong it made Ocarina of Time possible has always been interesting to me, and my concept of how this could work can be read here: http://www.zeldadungeon.net/forum/threads/is-the-downfall-the-natural-timeline.70156/post-1274040

But in terms of actual workable theories I just subscribe to the Downfall timeline being the result of multiple histories.

Last edited:
I explored the back in time theory where THoT goes back to the unified timeline a second time after Majora's Mask. Logically, if CT spawns from link changing the past of AT, then the properties of DT should be the same, right? Unfortunately, there was no evidence to support this, and the Hero's shade is actually contradicting evidence that THoT stayed in the CT. That wasn't going to work, and the mystery once again faded into obscurity. It seemed that the answers were sealed with the Zelda team... But I'm persistent, and was starting to become desperate. So, I started tearing up the carpet, and breaking the furniture of the Zelda universe for anything!

How is the Hero's Shade evidence against the Hero of Time living out his life on the CT? It's his spirit. And how, or why would he go to the Unified Timeline after MM? The timeline is no longer unified by that time. It's impossible, and there's no point.

Then I came across a strange continuity error at the end of OoT. The DoT is opened before Zelda flees Hyrule. That could have been a mistake by the developers, except that they continue to hint at this idea in Majora's Mask where Zelda teaches the song of time as a parting grace, rather than an instruction to open the DoT. So, I explored the idea that the child timeline has a separate history...

Link warned Zelda about Ganondorf's plan. Why would they open it again knowing what happened last time?

That's actually possible considering that CT has a separate future from AT, so it would need a separate past to lead into those events

No it doesn't. Even going by real life quantum mechanics theories, there's multiple universes that were once identical with a new decision changing the events of them from that point on.

I looked at the HH Timeline and noticed a quirk in the unified timeline. I noticed A Link to The Past + Four Swords. I never really paid much attention to ALttP, nor did I care for anything capcom Zelda, but the GBA version is specifically placed in the unified timeline along with Foursword. Maybe that was just so that FS had a spot on the timeline? Maybe, but then I noticed the Encyclopedia Timeline...

In this timeline, there is no mention of the GBA ALttP, only Foursword. To add insult to injury, there is a snide remark from Nintendo at the bottom of the page stating the timeline is up to the player's imagination, and therefor the timeline changed. One might see that as a jab to Zelda theorists, but as someone who buys into the theory that the player is in fact the Hero's Spirit, I saw it as a clue. But before I dove in, I did some research into other remakes just to cover my bases.

The HH timeline only has Four Swords prior to Ocarina of Time, not ALttP GBA, just like the updated timeline in the Encyclopedia. That remark in the Encyclopedia doesn't exist in the Japanese version; the reason why it (slightly) changed from HH was most likely to correct a problematic piece of dialogue from the Oracles to make the timeline make ven more sense. And you think that the player is the Hero's Spirit...? What?

I decided to do a quick internet search to see the big differences between the two games. If you are familiar with the gba port, you probably know that the first thing I found was the eery secret ending of the gba version. This ending shows the dark world and the various bosses still alive. Wait, did Link not save the Sacred realm??? Maybe I was getting ahead of myself. Maybe this is nothing new to Zelda Theorists. So, I do some theory research.

Considering the fact that this ending(and IIRC, the PoTFS) isn't mentioned in the Historia or in the Enyclopedia's historical sections, it makes me wonder if this is truly supposed to be canon.

Then it happened. Not even 30 minutes into the game and The Zelda team spills the beans. When Link speaks to Sahasrahla for the second time, the old man reveals the crucial lore that undeniably separates the two games completely. I'll put direct quotes from both games to compare side-by-side.

There it was, The Answer. I couldn't overlook this as just a bad retranslation. Prophecies were no joke in the Zelda universe, and there was too much evidence to deny the truth of GBA ALttP. This was the cold hard truth. In the GBA version... Link is fated to fail.

And he does. In the secret ending, Link never emerges from the Palace of the Foursword to defeat Ganon and claim the Triforce. Link fails, and Ganon is free to wish upon the Triforce. Considering the timeline implications, this could be the biggest secret in Zelda history. Let's explore what this means.

He says that it was THOUGHT that a hero would never again emerge, not that he wouldn't. Also, the normal ending still exists in the GBA version.

If the timeline is accurate, and my theory is true, then gba version does take in fact take place in the unified timeline at the same time as Foursword as a separate quest from the snes. This would explain the throwbacks to the era of chaos. It would explain the change from wise men to the sages. Most importantly, it would explain why Ganondorf is never mentioned to discover the gates of the sacred realm, but instead the Hylians discovered it first. Most likely the evil that turned the sacred realm into the dark world was the corruption and malice of man which forced the sages to seal it during the era of chaos. Although, there is still a massive unanswered question as to how ALttP could exist in both the UT and DT. So let's exercise the likely outcome of this theory...

Wise Man>Sages is a translation issue. The original Super Famicom version of Triforce of the Gods used the same term for sage in JP as other games in the series. The Swamp Palace Maiden says that Ganondorf was the one to rediscover the Sacred Realm in the SNES and GBA versions.

The gba game fates Link to fail his quest. Subsequently, Ganon is free to wish upon the Triforce. We don't know what he wished for, but most likely he wishes for the failure of Link in the future ensuring his victory in all times. With no Hero to stop Ganon, the descendants of the Sages seal Ganon in the sacred realm. Ganondorf is revived outside the dark world, and it is fated by Ganon's wish that he accidently finds the gate to the sacred realm initiating the imprisoning war and DT. However, history nearly repeats itself and the events of ALttP start once again in DT.

Why would Ganondorf forget the location of the SR if he was revived from his seal there? Also, the SR would already be corrupted, right? And yet the whole point of OoT/the backstory of ALttP is that Ganondorf entering the SR and claiming the Triforce leads to the corruption of the SR, yet, according to your theory, this has already happened, meaning that the events of OoT don't make sense!

Fast-forward to the end of OoT. Zelda sends THoT back to the past. However, he is sent to the origin of DT where Ganondorf can still wish on the Triforce. Link arrives early, opens the DoT, and wishes for Ganondorf to never exist. Re-queue the era of Chaos, but history is rewritten with Ganondorf out of existence. The Era of Chaos unfolds, but this time the Goddesses bestow a hero to stop the evil rather than the sages. This is The Hero of Men, and with him the Piccori sword. Instead of the Sages sealing the evil in the sacred realm, THoM seals it in the chest. The UT plays out with no Ganondorf, and the events of Foursword take it's place in timeline over-writting the history of GBA ALttP.

The origin of the DT in terms of it being a seperate future from the AT and CT is the final battle of OoT. If Ganondorf is wiped out of existence and will never exist, then what happens when the Era of the Hero of Time happens after FS in this theory?

Last edited:
GBA manual - "After many years, an opening was found that led from our fair Hyrule to the Golden Land, where the mystical Triforce was still hidden. Many sought treasure in this place, but none returned -- only beings of great evil emerged from the Golden Land."

You could be totally right, but I feel that this one has the most likely evidence to support it. Even looking beyond the evidence through dialogue, there's still the timeline placement of GBA ALttP existing before OoT, and there's also the canonical ending of Link getting trapped in TPoTFS. It might not be right, but give me something with harder evidence and I'll change my mind.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
You could be totally right, but I feel that this one has the most likely evidence to support it. Even looking beyond the evidence through dialogue, there's still the timeline placement of GBA ALttP existing before OoT, and there's also the canonical ending of Link getting trapped in TPoTFS. It might not be right, but give me something with harder evidence and I'll change my mind.
They just so happened to use that game cover in Hyrule Historia. It doesn't mean that A Link to the Past goes before OoT. Ocarina of Time is the first appearence of Ganondorf, there is no question about that. If this was all intentional, why change what cover for Four Swords was used in Zelda Encyclopedia?

I have to disagree with you, the evidence you have is twisted to fit your concept, but it's not solid evidence at all.

They just so happened to use that game cover in Hyrule Historia. It doesn't mean that A Link to the Past goes before OoT. Ocarina of Time is the first appearence of Ganondorf, there is no question about that. If this was all intentional, why change what cover for Four Swords was used in Zelda Encyclopedia?

I have to disagree with you, the evidence you have is twisted to fit your concept, but it's not solid evidence at all.
That's fine. Nothing wrong with disagreeing. Hopefully I can at least make you think. That's my goal here. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom