• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art The ZD Writing Discussion Thread

I'm almost done writing the first chapter of my Breath of the Wild fanfic. I plan on writing more, but it depends on how happy I am with the first chapter.

When I post it, do I put in a new thread or is there a existing thread? Also, how do I go about posting it? Should I put it into a doc or as a long post?

Hopefully I'll be done within the week. I'd love to hear advise and feedback. I'm not a writer, but this has been a fun little project.
Depending on how long the fanfic is, I'd say create a new thread. I mean, if it's just a few paragraphs I think there's a thread for that but if it's big make a new thread.

Also depending on how long it is, I'd say either make it one big post or post it in segments/chapters like how I post my ZD fic

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I'm almost done writing the first chapter of my Breath of the Wild fanfic. I plan on writing more, but it depends on how happy I am with the first chapter.

When I post it, do I put in a new thread or is there a existing thread? Also, how do I go about posting it? Should I put it into a doc or as a long post?

Hopefully I'll be done within the week. I'd love to hear advise and feedback. I'm not a writer, but this has been a fun little project.
I'd suggest just copying and pasting it into one post instead of a document. It's just a lot easier for the reader, and I imagine would be easier for you as well. You should also create a new thread. As far as I'm aware, there isn't a thread where people share their writing. At least not one that's been used recently. Not to mention, its a lot more organized this way.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I'm with Doc on there not being a singular thread for sharing writing on ZD. In all the time I've been active here, I've never seen one. The easiest way is definitely to make a new thread for your story in the fan works writing sub-forum and post each new chapter in the same thread so it's all in one place. The alternative would be to post each new chapter you write as blog entries if you'd prefer to do that, though that would require you to have blog access.

Thanks, guys! I'll be sure to make a new thread in fan works. I thought about doing a blog, but I don't have enough points to buy one. The thread will probably be better anyway.

Oh, and don't expect too much. It's my first fanfic, so I'm sure I messed up plot devices. Thanks again!

I've been in the process of writing a fan fiction where OOT, TP, MM, and SS all merge in an intense adventure. I started back in 2012 but I took a while off when I started working, but I just started getting back to it.

Does anybody offer beta reading? I have a fic I've been working on for a while that could likely benefit from another set of eyes.

If I want to start a thread where we can share fanfic recs and rec good stories, where should I post it? Can I post it here in the "writing: creative works" section of the board? Or is that only for people who share THEIR OWN fanfictions as opposed to fanfic recs (works written by other authors that someone enjoyed enough to want to share them with other people and recommend them)? I might eventually share my own fics on ZD too (I already recced one of my fics in one of my previous posts, and I'll probably do it again at some point), but I was thinking more about sharing good recs first. 'Cause I know a couple great fics that I want to recommend and share with other people here on ZD. I'm new here and I have been here for less than 2 months, and I'm not sure how these things works here on ZD and where I'm supposed to post this thread, so I'm asking.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my question.

Kat23.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
If it's something you wrote, you can make a thread in the writing section, if you're sharing something someone else wrote, I would make a profile post with the link to the work and maybe say a little bit about why you're recommending it, draw some interest that way.

I think the idea of starting small when writing is good advice.
Think it will certainly help me.

But when it comes to stories, which do people make first? Characters and their stories? The overall plot, or the setting?

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I think the idea of starting small when writing is good advice.
Think it will certainly help me.

But when it comes to stories, which do people make first? Characters and their stories? The overall plot, or the setting?
i think it depends on the writer.....

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
For me at least, it can go either way. Sometimes I might think of a character, and that catapults me into putting them in a setting, and then I work out the plot. Other times I might come up with a setting, that leads to imagining characters in it, and afterwards the plot. These two are 90% of how I craft a story.

Starting with the overall plot before anything else never tends to happen for me. Maybe there are writers out there that can make a plot first, but for me I need my stories rooted with characters or a world first before I can ever decide the plot.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Yeah, I'm the opposite. I usually think of plot first and then characters. I tend to try to think of unique ideas and then that leads me to forming the kind of characters that would fit with the idea. I don't think I ever think of characters first, since I can mold characters easier to fit a plot than I feel like I can plot to fit characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom