• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Wind Waker novelization. - OLD

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I'm writing a novelization of The Wind Waker. I decided not to use the exact game dialogue, so I had more freedom of creativity, and I'm using the Zelda Dungeon walkthrough to set chapters. I'll try to get a chapter done a week. I'll accept criticism/suggestions. My description of Outset is the thing I'm least happy with.

EDIT 10/13/2020: I fixed Quill's dialogue

UPDATE 3/15/2021: I have decided to restart this project. My writing skills have improved immensly, and instead of trying to fix my earlier chapters, I'm just going to start from the outset agian. *ba dum tiss* Is this the best idea? Probably not. Still what I'm gonna do.

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: THE WIND WAKER
AN UNOFFICIAL FAN NOVELIZATION BY CHEVYWOLF30
Chapter 1: Tragedy on Outset.​
“Big Brother, wake up, Big Brother!” called Aryll. “Wha-what?” asked Link, standing groggily to his feet, as his little sister climbed into his platform. “Do you remember what day it is, Big Brother?” asked Aryll. Link just stared at Aryll, expecting her to answer her own question. He wasn’t disappointed. “It’s your 12TH BIRTHDAY, Big Brother!” Link perked up a little bit at this, as his sister went on: “Go see what Grandma has for you!”

Link climbed down the lookout platform where he had spent the night, and ran across the dock to Outset Island, where he, his sister and grandma lived, along with a few others. Outset was actually two small islands, with cliffs to the north, and a mysterious forest atop the eastern island, connected by a bridge on the ground leven and a suspension bridge atop the cliffs. The villagers rarely ventured into the forest, as there were rumors of monsters in it. The western island was the smaller one, with just one house and the dock leading out to the lookout platform. This had been used in the past to watch for merchant ships or attackers, but now no one ever came to Outset, except for Beedle the merchant in his Shop Ship, despite the fact that the denizens of Outset rarely shopped his ship. The eastern island was larger, with several houses on it. There was a well against the cliff, and another smaller dock, as well as some large canoes on the southern beach. The men would sometimes go on fishing trips, but other than that, they remained unused.

Link ran down the dirt road to his grandmother’s house, ran up the wooden steps to the porch, opened the door and stepped inside. He climbed the ladder into the second story, which was really a loft with enough space to stand upright in. “Happy birthday, Link!” said his grandmother, holding out a green bundle. Link realized that it was clothes, and his face fell when he saw the green tunic and matching pointed cap. His grandmother proceeded to explain that these were a replica of the outfit that the ancient hero of legend wore, and since 12 was the age of the ancient hero of legend when he set out on his adventure, it was the age when boys were considered to be of age, and would receive sword training. “But old Orca is the only one living on the island who has skill with a sword, so why don’t you go pay him a visit? Now run along and fetch your sister while I prepare your party.

Link donned the outfit, feeling slightly ridiculous, and ran across Outset to the lookout platform. Upon scaling the ladder, he found Aryll with her hands behind her back. “I have your birthday present for you, Big Brother! Close your eyes and hold out your hands!” Link did as instructed, and Aryll placed a telescope in her brother’s hands. “It’s mine, but you can have it for today!” Link accepted it, knowing it was her most prized possession, his heart warmed by her generosity. “Go ahead, give it a try! Look at the postbox, is that the Rito postman?” Link looked, and observed the bird-man placing letters in the box, and then beginning to panic as he looked up at the sky.

Link’s heart gave a jolt as he saw a giant bird with a skull mask flying overhead holding a young girl dressed in pirate garb, maybe 3 years older than himself, in its talons. He then noticed a pirate ship giving chase and firing cannonballs at the bird, who, after getting hit in the mask with a cannonball, dropped the girl into the forest at the top of Outset’s eastern island. Link slowly lowered the telescope, still trying to realize what he had just seen. Aryll began to tug at his sleeve. “Big Brother! She needs help! But it's too dangerous to go up there alone!” Link then realized what must be done, climbed down the ladder and ran off towards Orca’s house.

He walked to the two-story house shared by Orca and his brother, Sturgeon, a short man with round glasses and a large orb of blond hair on his head. As he walked up to the house, Sturgeon called to him from the balcony of the top floor, his share of the house. He then began to speak to Link but shouted angrily as a pot on a shelf inside fell to the ground. “It’s my brother, Orca! He knows how to swing a sword and spends the entire doing just that! Sturgeon then stormed inside angrily. Link stepped into the bottom story of the house, as learning to swing a sword was his goal. “

‘Hoy, Link,” said Orca gruffly, which was his typical mannerism. “What’s this I’m hearing about a young girl kidnapped? It wasn’t Aryll was it? Well, that’s good,” he said as Link shook his head. “Well, happy birthday. I suppose you’re here for sword training? Not thinking of rescuing that girl are you? Well, that’s none of my business,” he chuckled. “I was just practicing my roll attacks. They’re a wonderful way to limber up before sparring with a sword.” He then demonstrated how he would run at the wall, then when he was about a yard away from the wall, dove into a somersault. He hit the wall with his head, causing it to shake, and the pots on the walls to rattle. “Now you try!” he encouraged Link. Link did the same, with a similar result. “Good!” said Orca. “Now some more!” Link obliged, then Orca said he was ready to receive his instruction.

Orca gave him a sword, and they faced off. “Begin every match with a bow,” said Orca, demonstrating. Link did the same. “Now, there are six basic moves that can be used in any fight. While there are more, these six are more than sufficient. I once even sparred a man who bested me using just these six, even though I tried my most complex moves. First, assume a fighting stance by planting your feet shoulder length apart, and bending your knees slightly.” Link did as instructed. “Your first move is the horizontal slice.” Orca demonstrated with his own staff then urged Link to try the same on him. “Don’t worry about hurting me, I can handle anything a youngster such as yourself can do to me.” Link obliged, swinging the sword at Orca, who blocked it deftly. “Good! Now again!” Link completed the move five or six more times before Orca was satisfied, the whole time amazed at how enthusiastic the usually gruff man was.

They completed the routine three more times with the vertical slice, stab and jump attack. “Now the spin attack,” said Orca. “Hold your sword behind you at arm’s length, and tense every muscle in your body. When the time is right, swing your sword arm around, and spin on your toes.” Link completed the instructions, and nearly lost his balance. “Don’t worry about that, balance will come with practice,” Orca offered. “Now, the parry.” “This is one of the most important attacks you will use, so listen carefully. Assume your ready stance and face me. Now, when the time is right, roll under my weapon and strike me from behind before I regain control of my weapon.” Link faced Orca, all his concentration on the old man. He watched as Orca swung his weapon, and before he could roll around the old man, felt the blow of the stick on his head. “You must trust your instincts, Link,” said Orca “Do not think, only act. Now again!” Link concentrated on Orca, watched as he swung his weapon, and there came a time that it felt as if a light in his head lit up, showing him what must be done. He dove to the right, and stood up behind Orca. He struck the man as he stood up. “Good!” said Orca. “Now again!” They practiced a few more times before Orca declared that Link had great potential with the sword. He allowed Link to keep the sword, saying “The desire to do good lies in it. Use it well.”

Link left Orcas house and ran to the western end of Outset, where a path to the top lay. He walked up the path to the suspension bridge that led to the suspension bridge connecting the two islands. He started across the bridge, hopped across the missing board in the middle, and stepped off at the other end. He stepped through the hole in the cliff that led into the forest. He looked around the forest and saw the pirate girl hanging by her shirt from a tree. He started towards the girl, but a blue bokoblin jumped off a nearby ledge at him. Link faced the goblin-like creature, and assumed the ready stance Orca had taught him. He slashed at the bokoblin, and when it fell over, he performed a jump attack, causing it to disappear in a puff of smoke. He then walked up a log leaning against the ledge that the monster had jumped off of. He jumped off of the other side of the ledge, leaving him in the same area of forest where the girl was stranded, and two more bokoblins attacked him.

He used a spin attack on them, then defeated them both with a quick stab. At that moment, a large, burly pirate ran into the forest calling, “Miss Tetra! Are you okay?” The pirate girl, who Link assumed to be Tetra, had regained consciousness, and freed herself from the tree. She ran out of the forest, leaving Link and the pirate to follow.

Stepping out of the forest, Link saw Aryll waving and calling at the other end of the bridge. Link smiled and waved back as Aryll began to cross the bridge. Suddenly, the large bird swooped over the bridge and snatched Aryll. “BIG BROTHER! HELP!” called Aryll as the bird flew away. Link jumped off the cliff at the bird, but fell short. Tetra grabbed his hand, and pulled him back up onto the cliff.

Back on the beach, Link asked Tetra if he could go with her and the pirates to save Aryll. Tetra bluntly refused him, but the Rito postman, Quill, who was still there, interjected on Link’s behalf. “Let him go with you! He was the first one who found Miss Tetra in the forest, and it’s his sister who was captured. Does he not deserve this chance?”

He went on to explain that the bird had been capturing girls with long ears such as Tetra’s and Aryll’s, and taking them to it’s nest at the Forsaken Fortress “And if you had never come here, Aryll would never have been captured." Tetra sighed. “The Forsaken Fortress… Isn’t that where…” Tetra muttered. She abruptly cut herself off “Alright, you can go. But not without a shield. And hurry! I won’t wait all day.” This was no problem for Link.

Before fetching the shield, he spoke to a pirate who had walked onto the beach during Quill’s and Tetra’s conversation. He was short, shorter than Link in fact, and had large front teeth. “I’m Niko,” said the pirate. “You’ll be my swabbie on the ship. Finally! I won’t be the lowest rung on the ladder! No more dirty laundry!” Slightly baffled by the encounter, Link ran off to his grandmother’s house, intending to take the shield that hung on the wall in the loft.

He climbed up the loft, but the shield was gone! Before he had time to panic, he saw his grandmother holding the shield. The familiar wooden shield with the golden likeness of the Triforce and silver trim shone in the light. “Take it, Link,” she said. She began to weep, asking “How? How could anyone take such a sweet girl as Aryll?”

Link took the shield, and walked soberly back to the pirates on the beach. “Alright, you got the shield? Now look, I don’t want any kid games. If you think you’ll get homesick, don’t get on, because we won’t turn back.” Link looked back, and saw the citizens of outset had gathered on the beach. He looked at them, his whole world, but couldn’t help missing his sister in the crowd. He turned towards Tetra.

“I’m coming with you,” he said with steel in his voice. “Alright then,” said Tetra. “Anchors aweigh!” called Tetra as the pair boarded the ship. Link stood on the stern waving at his friends. His grandmother stood on the porch of their house, waving as well. Tetra sat behind him, her legs dangling over the edge of the ship, silently watching the exchange. Link waved until Outset was too small to see, sad to leave, excited to be on this adventure, but mostly worried for his sister.

Last edited:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
CHAPTER 2: THE FORSAKEN FORTRESS.
After Outset Island faded into the distance, Tetra told Link to go below decks and find Niko, who he would report to while with the pirates.

“And don’t be underfoot!”
Link made his way to the door, and stepped through. He found himself at the top of a staircase, so he went down. He stepped through a doorway, onto a platform overlooking a large room. The room had a high roof with lanterns hanging from it, and there appeared to be large squares of wood scattered randomly on the floor. There was another raised platform on the other side of the room that appeared to lead into another room. To Link’s right as he walked in was Niko, the pirate he had spoken to on the beach.

“ ‘Hoy there, swabbie! Now, I am Niko, your superior! First off, you must take this test that all new pirates must take. First thing, you jump on this button.”

Niko jumped onto a large golden button that stuck about 3 feet out of the floor. The wooden squares came up out of the floor with rods underneath, revealing them to be platforms just as high as the platform Link and Niko were standing on.

“That was the easy part. Now, do this!” Niko jumped onto the platform nearest to the one he had been standing on.

“Now, I was able to jump onto this one myself, but the next one is too far, yeah? So here’s what I do.” He then jumped off the platform, grabbed the rope that one of the lanterns was hanging from, and used it to swing across to the next platform. “And you do them all just like that, to the entrance of this other room right here!” Niko called after he had demonstrated. “Now, watch out, because the platforms won’t stay up forever,” he continued as they slid back into the floor.

“Now, you try! Don’t expect to get it on your first try! It could take you a year to finish it! But if you finish it sooner, I’ll give you a little something!”

Link stepped on the button, doubting that he would do it in his first try, but also doubting that it would take him a year to master the course. “Maybe 2 hours,” Link thought as he jumped onto the first platform. He then jumped off, grabbed the rope, and swung until he was over the next platform. He released himself, and landed with a grunt on the second. He then proceeded on to the third, then the fourth and final. Just as he jumped onto the platform at the entrance to the next room, the platforms fell into the floor. “Wha….. How…..” sputtered Niko as Link stood next to him. “How did you already…… Well, I’m proud…. To have you as my underling!” Niko stopped for a few seconds, obviously thinking something over. “All right, swabbie, you did it! And as a reward, you can go into that room and get the treasure that’s in the chest!”

Link stepped into the room, opened the chest, which was nearly as tall as himself, and leaned in to take out a bag. He looked at it, not disappointed, a bag was useful, but a bit underwhelmed after Niko’s large promises. He dismissed it and put the bag around his shoulders as Tetra’s voice called from above decks “Hey, Link, we’re at the Forsaken Fortress, get up here!”

Link went back up onto the deck, noting with surprise that night had fallen. Tetra called to Link from the crow’s nest: “Get up here!” Link climbed the ladder, and Tetra snapped, “What were you doing with Niko? Were you playing some dumb game for treasure? Well, whatever. This is the cursed island known as the Forsaken Fortress.” Link stared at the foreboding island, which was really many large rock spires sticking up out of the sea. The largest one had a derelict hull of a ship on top, with a giant nest on top of that, and there were several other wrecks of ships around it.

“This place used to be the hideout of a rival pirate gang of ours. But it’s been deserted for a while now. This place looks pretty dangerous now…” Tetra continued to look over the fortress. “Look! At that window! All of those gulls! I bet you anything that’s where your sister is! But this whole place is under really tight guard… No way we could get in there…” Tetra looked at Link, a sly grin on her face.

Before Link could realize what happened, he was in a barrel on a catapult. He began to panic slightly, but Tetra spoke up. “Don’t try struggling. This is the only way, we don’t need you making things harder on us. Relax! We do this all the time, we’re pros! Ready? 3….2…..1 FIRE!”

The barrel was launched over the walls of the fortress. Unfortunately,the shot went slightly wrong. The barrel slammed into a wall, causing Link’s sword to fall onto the platform where he was meant to land, and Link fell into the waters below.

He kept his wits about him, however, and climbed onto the rocky base of the fortress. He looked around the castle-like structure he was now inside, noticing the 3 large searchlights with a beam coming from each end on top of 3 of the towers. He saw a stone staircase nearby and began to scale it. As he reached the top, he heard a whistling noise. He froze, then realized it was coming from his back pocket.

Curious, he reached into his pocket, and pulled out a glowing stone tied to a rope. “You lost your sword? Sorry about that! Heh, heh, your expression was priceless, though!” Tetra’s voice came from the stone he held. “I suppose you’re wondering what’s going on here? I slipped this stone into your pocket before I put you in the barrel. It’s no ordinary stone, either. I can talk to you through it, obviously! I can also see what you’re doing. If you hear whistling, get this out and just hold it and I’ll give you pointers. Simple enough. Listen up, though! I’ll need this back after you save your sister, so don’t lose it!” Link slipped the stone back into his pocket, bewildered at how condescendingly kind Tetra was.

Link noticed that the landing he was on had searchlights sweeping over it, between him and the next flight of stairs. He stood for a second, thinking, then looked to his right. He noticed a few barrels about the same size as the pirate’s sitting next to the wall, in an area where the searchlights weren’t reaching. Remembering how well he had fit into the other barrel, he walked over to it, and tipped it over. He crawled into it, and stood up, disguising himself as a barrel. He began to slowly walk across the landing. Whenever the searchlight swept over him, he dropped to the ground, and continued when it went on. He went on like this, his heart pounding as he hoped that his disguise would be enough to fool the searchlight’s operators. After what felt like ages, Link reached the next flight of stairs. He cautiously dropped the barrel, and scaled the steps.

He found himself in a passageway, with a ramp that seemed to lead to the roof of it. He climbed it and ended up on top of a wall, with a ladder about 100 feet away. Suddenly, he heard whistling. He took out the stone, and heard Tetra say “There’s a monster running that searchlight over there. Since you don’t have your sword, you’ll have to use your shield to make him drop whatever weapon he may have.” Link walked over to the ladder and scaled it. He found himself facing the searchlight, a massive wooden apparatus. He walked around to the other side to find a small platform on the side of the searchlight, with a bokoblin using a wheel to operate the searchlight. As Link had walked around the back, the creature had not noticed him. Link noticed a few pots nearby, one with several large sticks stuck inside of it. They all had a large, knobby growth toward one end.

Deciding to disregard Tetra’s advice, he put his shield on his back, took a stick out of the pot, holding it in both hands, and crept toward the operator. He stepped onto the ramp up to the control platform, and the bokoblin noticed him. The monster grabbed a stick similar to Link’s that he had had leaning against the searchlight, and faced Link. Link’s mind raced as he recalled Orca’s instruction. He assumed a ready stance, and jump attacked the bokoblin. The creature fell back against the light, and Link proceeded to batter the creature until it disappeared in a puff of smoke, identical to the one in the forest on Outset. This one, however, left a necklace with a butterfly charm on it behind.

Link picked it up, having seen something similar before, and believing it to be called a joy pendant. He put it in the bag Niko had given him, hoping that Tetra would not demand it of him upon his return to the pirates. Link climbed back down the ladder, and went down the ramp to a door he had seen in the corridor. He walked through the door. He saw that he was in a small room with a jail cell and a hallway leading off to the right. He started down the hallway, not noticing the Moblins until it was too late.

The giant piglike creatures picked him up, and next thing Link knew, he was in a jail cell. This was not the cell that he had just seen. The cell was fairly spacious with a table, stool, and a bookshelf that had a pot on top of it. Link looked around, unsure of his next move. He climbed onto the stool, and decided to get on top of the table. As he looked around the cell from this elevated perspective, his eyes fell on the pot. Wondering what was inside, he walked to the other end of the table, and with a running start tried to jump onto the bookshelf. He caught himself on the edge, and had to pull himself on top. He walked over to the pot, and noticed there was a hole in the wall behind it.

He lifted up the pot, and threw it onto the floor of the cell where it shattered. He then crawled into the tunnel that he had revealed, and crawled into it. After about 10 feet he came to a right bend, and after about 10 more feet of crawling, he came out into the room on the other side of the cell door. He started cautiously down the corridor, and walked onto a wooden platform overlooking a large room. There was a chest to his left, and he decided to check the contents. The chest was just as large as the one in the pirate’s ship, so he had to lean inside to retrieve the contents, a rolled-up paper. He opened it, to find that it was 3 different papers, each a map of the different levels of the fortress. He noticed there was another platform on the other side of the room, and the lantern hanging down on the long rope from the ceiling.

Remembering his time with Niko a few hours ago, he jumped off the platform, grabbed the rope, swung across, and jumped off the rope. He felt brief panic, followed by relief as he landed on the other side. Before going through the door, he looked at his map. He saw that the next room had a hole in the middle of the floor, leading down to the floor below. He also saw what appeared to be a door to the next level. Link stepped through the door, deciding to try it. The first thing he noticed was two Moblins on the other side of the room.

Looking around, he found a barrel. He snuck past the Moblins and up the staircase. Finding himself on a staircase that wound around the main tower, Link realized his intuition had been correct. He walked up the first flight, only to see a Moblin between him and the next flight. He crawled under a barrel and made his way across. He had to repeat this process twice before coming to a ledge that seemed to long to jump. Noticing the small ledge to the right, he realized what he had to do. He put his back to the wall, stood on his toes, and slowly sidled his way across the ledge. He continued on, turning a corner to see a longer ledge. He sidled across this as well. He then went up the flight of stairs he found there, to see a large wooden door, guarded by a green bokoblin, holding a sword and crude wooden shield. More importantly, he saw his sword!

He ran towards it, picked it up, and turned to face the bokoblin. The creature attacked, and Link rolled around him in a parry and struck it down. He then sliced it again, causing it to disappear. Link then opened the wooden door. Stepping through, he saw a large cage with Aryll and two other girls inside. Calling to Aryll, he strode across the room to the cage. Suddenly, a noise made Link look up. The bird that had captured Aryll came down from its perch at the top of the room.

It snatched Link up and took him through the hole in the top of the room.

The bird went to the ship at the top of the fortress, where there was a porch. A tall, dark figure stood facing the door into the ship.

The figure, looking over its shoulder at the bird holding Link, waved a hand, and the bird cast Link into the sea.​

This took a little bit longer than expected, hopefully I can get a good rythym.
The dungeons are going to be an interesting challenge of staying true to the game while making it an intersting read.

Last edited:

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
You have a knack for descriptions, good job. How long have you been writing for? If you have just started, you’re getting along really fast, and your writing skills are progressing very well. I would suggest that you take a look at some books/novels you have at you house or get some at your library if they’re open. You should learn how to space your sentences out instead of them being all clumped together. See what it looks like if I take your first few sentences and space them:

‘After Outset Island faded into the distance, Tetra told Link to go below decks and find Niko, who he would report to while with the pirates.

Link made his way to the door, and stepped through. He found himself at the top of a staircase, so he went down. He stepped through a doorway, onto a platform overlooking a large room. The room had a high roof with lanterns hanging from it, and there appeared to be large squares of wood scattered randomly on the floor. There was another raised platform on the other side of the room that appeared to lead into another room. To Link’s right as he walked in was Niko, the pirate he had spoken to on the beach.

“ ‘Hoy there, swabbie! Now, I am Niko, your superior! First off, you must take this test that all new pirates must take. First thing, you jump on this button.”’

It makes it more pleasant on the eyes and easier to read. I suggest you look at books you like and see how they space them and try to learn from it and use it in your writing, it will make a great difference in how it looks. You writing is very good, and I look forward to seeing more chapters! :)

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
You have a knack for descriptions, good job. How long have you been writing for? If you have just started, you’re getting along really fast, and your writing skills are progressing very well. I would suggest that you take a look at some books/novels you have at you house or get some at your library if they’re open. You should learn how to space your sentences out instead of them being all clumped together. See what it looks like if I take your first few sentences and space them:

‘After Outset Island faded into the distance, Tetra told Link to go below decks and find Niko, who he would report to while with the pirates.

“ ‘Hoy there, swabbie! Now, I am Niko, your superior! First off, you must take this test that all new pirates must take. First thing, you jump on this button.”’

It makes it more pleasant on the eyes and easier to read. I suggest you look at books you like and see how they space them and try to learn from it and use it in your writing, it will make a great difference in how it looks. You writing is very good, and I look forward to seeing more chapters! :)

I've written stuff off and on for a few years, but never really tackled a large project like this before. I've been reading books for years, so I just kinda have literature in my head. I like the sentence spacing ideas, I'll play with that going forward.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
CHAPTER 3:The King of Red Lions.
“Link….”

“Link….”

“Wake up, Link!”

Link realized that he was laying inside of a boat. He sat up, wondering who was calling him, when the boat turned its head to face Link, which was carved in the likeness of a red dragon. Link fell back in surprise. “Did I startle you?” the boat asked, because it was apparently the boat that had been speaking. “I suppose it’s only natural. As far as I know, I am the only boat who can speak the words of men. I am the King of Red Lions. Don’t be afraid of me, I am not your enemy.”

Link nodded, thankful to be alive, wondering how this boat could help him, as the King went on: “I have been watching you ever since you went to the Forsaken fortress to save your sister. While I understand the desire to save your sister, that was foolhardy. The shadow that commands the Helmaroc King…”

At this, Link cut in. “The what?”

“The giant bird that captured your sister,” the King of Red Lions said quickly. “That shadow is Ganon. The same one who attempted to seize the power of the gods in order to cover the land in darkness, and was sealed away by the very power he hoped to control. That was him, and now that he has returned, I know not how, the world is once again threatened by his evil magic.”
The boat hesitated. “Tell me, Link, do you still wish to save your sister?” After Link confirmed, the King went on: “And will you do anything to save her?”

Link nodded.

“...I see.” The King hesitated. “In that case, I shall be your guide from here on. Ganon cannot be defeated by human strength, especially the little you possess. I know where the power to defeat him is locked away, and you can have it after much toil. Are you willing?”

“I am,” said Link, and the boat continued: “The onward to the Great Sea! But, I grow hasty. This… is a bit awkward to admit, but although I am a boat with the power of human speech, I don’t have a sail. I have brought you to an island far to the east of the darkness of the Forsaken Fortress, to an island where merchants deal in all types of goods. You should be able to find a sail here, for without one I am useless to you.” “I understand, sir,” said Link. “But feel free to stock up on anything else you may need while here, but remember: Come back as soon as you are done, there is no time to play.”

“Of course, sir,” Link said as he stepped onto the beach and began across the meadow. To his right, he saw a single building on a cliff that stuck out from the island, with a wall around it, and to his right was another cliff. Across from that, Link saw what appeared to be a large stone arch that led into the town off to the left, as well as a dock. As he neared the arch, Link noticed that the cliff had been growing shorter as he went along, and that there was a trail that led up it, with what seemed to be a building to the right.. There was a single figure walking down it towards Link.

“Hey, there, guy! I don’t think I’ve seen you here before!”
“I’ve never been here,” said Link.
“Well, that explains it! My name is Anton. You might think it strange for a young guy like me, but I love to walk all around this island. Since I do that so much, I know things that not many other people do! For example, did you know that there’s a way to sneak around behind the bomb shop over there?” Anton gushed as he indicated the solitary building Link had noticed before. “I think I’m the only one, guy!” At this, Anton went on his way.

Link was tempted to go look, but he remembered the King of Red Lions’ admonishment to hurry. Promising himself to come back someday, he set off under the arch, up a steep dirt road. To his right, he saw a shop with a sign outside that depicted a man in goggles holding an overflowing bottle. He kept going, doubting that he could find a sail there. He passed a few more buildings which looked like houses and went up a flight of stairs to see a wooden booth on the side of a large tower-like building. There was a man barely taller than Link there, dressed in a large blue coat.
Link walked up to the booth, noticing the two counters. One was taller than Link himself, while the one further out from the building was a more manageable height.

“Hello, sir,” said Link as he stepped up “Do you have a sail?” “Dear me! A customer! A sail? Yes, I have one, for I came across these cursed seas from a land far away, where the blizzards are always blowing, to this town called Windfall. But dear me! As I traveled, a storm blew my ship to bits. I managed to escape with just my coat and this.” “This” was a sail, which he produced from under the counter, placing down. “It is all I have to start a shop with, but the people here do not wish to purchase it, even though they could use it to explore the seas around their island. Please, purchase this! It is the only item I have with which to start a shop!”
“How much would you be asking for it?” asked Link, wondering if the man would try to cheat him in his desperation. “Oh, I would say….” The man looked at the sail thoughtfully. “80 rupees!” Link cringed, this was more money than he was accustomed to. He was about to say that he needed to think it over, when he remembered that he had found a few rupees here and there in the Forsaken Fortress as he had gone along, as well as the red one from the chest. He dumped the contents of his wallet onto the counter and began to count them, finding them to total 83.
“That seems to be enough, good sir! Do you wish to purchase this?” Link hesitated, then realized what was at stake, and accepted. “Thank you, young man! I have received 80 rupees for this! Now I can begin my new business!
Link took the sail and left the man still celebrating. Happy that he was able to be such a help, he walked down to the cove where the King of Red Lions was hidden. As he approached the boat, it began to speak. “You look pleased. Have you found a sail?”

“Indeed I have!” proclaimed Link, holding it out with a large grin on his face.

“Wonderful! Hang it up on my mast, and I shall teach you the art of sailing. One final thing: while we are at sea with few landmarks, we shall have only this sea chart to rely on.” Link noticed a piece of paper lying near the front of the boat that had not been there when he left. He picked it up, seeing it to be a grid seven squares high and seven squares across. Most were blank, but a few had an island drawn on. Link noticed the Forsaken Fortress in the very northwestern square, Outset on the southern row, and then noticed 3 squares to the east and one south from the Forsaken Fortress was what appeared to be Windfall Island, along with a dot that vaguely resembled himself. Wondering what magic permeated this paper, he heard the King begin to speak:
“I have marked where you need to go next, and the wind appears to be blowing in a favorable direction, so let us go!” Link then noticed the square two squares east of himself had been marked. He hung the sail on the boat’s mast, then listened as he was instructed on how to grab the tiller in the rear of the boat, the best position to stand in, and how to move it to adjust the sail so it could catch the most air possible. He directed the boat around Windfall Island and set off to the east.

Well, here's part 3! Big thanks to Echolight for the formatting ideas, and to Bowsette for (inadvertently) giving me inspiration to make Link have some dialogue and character.

Last edited:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
CHAPTER 4: Din’s Pearl
After sailing for about an hour, the King of Red Lions and his ward came within sight of an island with a large mountain in the center. “Is that our destination, sir?” asked Link. “Yes, it is! This is Dragon Roost Island! High atop this island’s peak lives a great dragon named Valoo, who possesses a jewel called Din’s Pearl. This is the home of the Rito tribe, so you must ask them about how to see the dragon.”
In the time that it took to say this, the King of Red Lions had arrived on Dragon Roost Island’s shores. Link climbed out of the boat, and retracted the sail. He had started off towards the path he saw that appeared to lead into the mountain when the King called out “Wait! I almost forgot this!”
Link turned around to see the boat holding a white, slender object in its mouth. He stepped forward, and on taking it, the King spoke. “This is the Wind Waker! It is an object that was used long ago to borrow the power of the winds! Simply using it then was enough to control the wind, but I don’t know if it still works. Still, I thought it would be of some use to you.”

“Thank you, sir,” said Link, awed that the King would entrust such an ancient, powerful relic to him. “You are most welcome. I suppose you would like to use it?” the King offered. Link nodded, still admiring the baton. The King went on to explain the different tempos and directions in which he could use the baton. Upon completion, he said “That was wonderful! Now, do not allow me to delay you on your quest any longer!”
Link set off, up the grassy trail that went through a small tunnel on the side of the mountain. On the other side, he paused as he took in the view of the ocean that he now had. Standing on a wooden overlook, he noticed that there was a wooden walkway that gently led up the side of the mountain to a hole in the mountain that appeared to be a door.

He began to set off up the walkway when Quill flew down. “Link! Is that you?” he asked. “Indeed it is!” said Link, happy to see a familiar face. Quill went on: “I’m glad to see you’re OK! And to have traveled here without wings! What a feat! What of your sister, Aryll, is she….”

Link looked down, unwilling to relive it. “Ah, is that so?” asked Quill compassionately. “Well, don’t worry too much about it, I’m sure she can endure.”
Link felt a lump rising in his throat and began to turn his back. Sensing the boy’s distress, Quill tactfully changed the subject. “I have an idea, Link. Would you like to meet our chieftain? I’ve told all the Rito about your plight and we are all concerned. I’m sure he would take a liking to you and be willing to aid you in whatever you need.”

Link looked up. “If that’s true, I would appreciate any help I could get.”

“Alright then!” exclaimed Quill as he took off. “I shall bring word to my chief at once!” He flew up to the door on the side of the mountain. Link wondered if it would have been too much to ask Quill to fly him, but then decided that he needed the short time alone as he walked up the wooden walkway to put his thoughts in order. He arrived at the top still worried about his sister, but not allowing that emotion to dominate him, rather it was what drove him.

Link stepped into the inside of the mountain and saw Rito everywhere. They were mostly working on mail-related tasks. except for a small huddle of Rito in the center of the room. One of these was Quill, so he walked up to them. Another one of the Rito, who Link assumed to be the chieftain, based on the large red sash he wore over his robes, was talking.
“Well, what of it? Has the source of the great Valoo’s anger been discovered? Do we need to…” At this moment he noticed Link. “Ah, hello there young one. You are Link, no?” Upon Link confirming, the chieftain went on. “Quill has told me your tragic story. Please let us know if there is any way we can assist.” Just then, a Rito walked up to him, and after glancing at Link, shared a few brief, hushed words with the chieftain and walked away. “My deepest apologies, Link,” said the chieftain turning back, “But at the moment, we are caught up in a dire problem of our own.”

“As you probably know, we Rito live off of the airways. We can do so thanks to the generosity of the sky spirit Valoo, the dragon that lives on top of this island. We Rito are not born with wings. When a Rito reaches adulthood, he (or she) journeys to the top of the island, where they receive a scale from the dragon. It is these scales that enable us to grow our wings. Recently, however, Valoo has been angry and ... unpredictable. Even the bravest of us fear to face him with how angry he has become. If this continues, our young ones will be unable to gain their wings, and, in time, our very way of life may be threatened. I deeply regret this, but we must solve this before we can aid you.”

“I understand, sir, but is a hot meal and bed for the night too much at this moment? I haven’t eaten since I was with the pirates, and longer since I had a real bed.” The chieftain looked at Link, something like compassion in his eyes. “Of course. In the morning, though, find me. I have a task I would like you to complete.” Link nodded, grateful for the tribe’s generosity.

“Quill, could you show Link to an empty room where he can stay? I will have food brought up to him soon.” “Of course, sir,” replied Quill, beckoning to Link. Link followed, pleased that Quill was his guide, as he was familiar with him. Quill led him down a flight of stairs that spiraled around the interior of the mountain, both up and down. The pair came to another large chamber, with a few hallways leading off in different directions. Quill went down one of these, and opened a door a little way down it. It was a simple room, furnished with a bed, chair and basin. There was a picture of what appeared to be an overhead view of Outset island.

“I thought you would appreciate this one, seeing as how it has a pictograph of your home,” said Quill. “I appreciate the thought,” said Link, already laying on the bed, looking at the pictograph. “My predecessor took it once as he made deliveries. In addition to being a Rito postman, he was apprenticed to the legendary pictographer that lives on Windfall island, Lenzo. I believe you have been to Windfall, no? Did you meet this Lenzo?” “No, sir,” replied Link. “I was in a hurry and didn’t have time to sightsee.” “That makes sense,” Quill said with a nod. “That reminds me,” he said suddenly, reaching into a pocket. “I wanted to give this to you. It may come in handy, who knows?” Quill held out a bag, and Link got up and took it. “It’s the same kind of delivery bag that we postmen use.” Link accepted the bag, and at that moment a Rito that looked to be older than Link, but not an adult, stepped to the door, holding a tray with various dishes on it. “Excuse me, is this where Link is staying? The chieftain ordered this for him,” she asked. “Oh, yes,” answered Quill, as he stepped aside to let the newcomer into the room. “I suppose I’ll let you eat in peace, then,” said Quill as the girl set the food on the foot of Link’s bed. The Rito left the room, Quill inquiring about the state of the dinner for the rest of the denizens of Dragon Roost, and Link turned his attention towards the food.
After finishing the meal of fish, wrapped in something he guessed to be some form of seagrass, Link lay his equipment on the floor by his bed, lay down, and went to sleep. He awoke the next morning to find another tray with breakfast sitting on the chair. He crawled down the bed, to see a bowl of porridge topped with a few small blue berries, and a few seed cakes. After eating, Link put his sword and shield back on his back, put his bag from the pirate ship around his shoulders, and after checking, found the delivery bag from Quill would fit inside. He stared at the satchel for a minute, wondering if there was more to it than just a bag, which would explain why Niko was reluctant to give it to him. He then set off in search of the chieftain.

He retraced the path Quill had led him on the previous night, and came back up into the main chamber. He stood for a second, wondering what his next move was when Quill called to him. “Hey, Link, good morning! The chieftain is busy this morning, as am I, but he said to tell you to find Medli, she has what you need.” At this Quill flew off, leaving Link to figure out this rather vague instruction. He set off up the staircase in search of this Medli. Unlike the previous floors, the top level was not a complete floor. Instead, it was a ledge that wrapped around most of the perimeter of the inside of the mountain, with several doors leading off it. There was also a wooden booth where a lone Rito was working at sorting the many mountains of mail there. Link walked up to him, intending to ask about Medli, as this Rito looked to not need to go anywhere, but the Rito spoke first. “Hello there, Link! You are the Link that we have heard so much about from Quill, no?” When Link confirmed, the Rito went on: “I was wondering if you wanted to help out?” Again, Link nodded. “Just throw some of these letters into the correct box. I have already labeled them for delivery, all you have to do is throw them into the box with the matching label.” Link obliged, and after about a minute, the Rito signalled for him to stop.

“Bravo, Link!” said the postman. “I was counting, you sorted 50 letters in a minute! That’s a lot for a beginner. Here, you sorted 50 letters, so that would be… 100 rupees!” Link accepted the payment for the task, and asked “Do you know who Medli is, and where she is?” “I know who she is, but why do you need to see her?” asked the Rito. “Your chieftain said that she has something I need,” Link replied. “Oh, then if it’s the chieftain… Go back towards the staircase and go into the last door before the descent,” instructed the Rito.

Link went through the door the postman had indicated, and into a room that had a large stone desk in the middle, and a doorway leading out the other side of the room. A Rito girl about Link’s age stood in front of the desk. “Hello there, is this where Medli can be found?” Link asked her.

“It is,” said the girl, amusement playing on her face.

“Can I speak to her? She has something I need,” Link went on. “You already are!” said the girl, revealing herself to be Medli. “And you are Link, I suppose? I recognize the outfit. We’ve heard about you from Quill.” Link looked around the room. “Who are you, and why do you get a room on the top level?” he asked. “Oh, me? I’m the attendant to the sky spirit, Valoo. Rather, I will be someday. I’m still studying to be one,” Medli answered. “Who is the attendant?” asked Link. “Well… she was... “ Medli sighed. “I can’t tell you that yet. I don’t want to affect your judgement of… Maybe I should just give you this.” She then took an envelope with a note on top of it off of the desk and handed it to Link. Link took it and read the note:

Link:
I regret that I cannot tell you this in person, but the situation with Valoo has grown more dire. Please take this letter to my son, Prince Komali. He is of the age to gain his wings, but he is a somewhat tender boy in some ways and with the situation surrounding the Valoo problem, he may give up on trying to obtain his wings. I request nothing but that you give him this letter and try to get to know him and share some of your courage.
Regards

Here there was a flourished signature that Link was unable to decipher. He re-read the note, unable to shake the feeling there was more to this than Medli and the chieftain were letting on. He looked up and asked Medli, who was now poring over a book, “Where can I find the Prince?” Medli looked up from her book and answered, “He’s alone in his room, as always since…” She shook her head “His room is way in the back of the main chamber. You’ll have to go down some steps to find it.” Link acknowledged this and set off.

“Wait, Link,” called Medli. “After you deliver the letter, meet me at the entrance to the dragon roost, through this door behind me. I’ll explain everything, and I have a small… favor I need.” Link nodded and set off to the Prince’s room. Just for his own private amusement, he put the letter into the delivery bag that Quill had given him, which of course was inside of the bag that Niko had given him.

He found the hallway he was looking for, and after a bend and a few sets of steps, he found himself at a door. Stepping through, he saw a shelf with various toys on the left, and in the right corner was a bed with curtains, which were drawn back. Lying on this bed was a Rito boy a bit younger than Link, holding a large orange orb, which glowed faintly. He sat up on hearing someone come into the room. He scowled. “You’re Link, aren’t you? I’ve heard of you.”

“That’s me.” Link looked at the orb the prince was holding “Is that… Is that Din’s pearl?” he asked. “It may have been once, but it’s mine now,” was the curt reply. Link wondered what to do now. He decided to be honest. “I was… sent here to retrieve that,” he told the Prince. “Well, you can’t have it. I need it. If I hold it, the bad feelings… they go away.” He stared at it for a while before looking at Link suspiciously. “If you aren’t here for any reason than to steal this, you can leave.”

“Well, actually, your father sent me here, he wanted you to have this,” said Link as he dug in his bag. He slightly regretted making the letter so hard to get to, as it was awkward having the prince scowl at him like that. He finally extracted it and held it out. Komali reached forward and grabbed it, still hugging the pearl. “A letter? From my father?”

The prince read the letter, occasionally remarking on the contents. “Oh sure, telling me to be brave… HE didn’t have to go through that horrible experience… He doesn’t still need a scale from Valoo...You’re here too, Link… Trying to get involved in other people’s business. No matter what you say, I won’t go to Valoo until he calms down.”

“I think I might be able to,” said Link quietly.

Komali laughed unkindly. “You? What a joke. What could a human islander possibly know?” Wondering if it was a betrayal of trust on his part, Link said “A girl named Medli said she knew something.” Instantly, Link knew he had misstepped. “Medli? Ha. She only got her scale because of… Nevermind that.” The Prince hesitated, then went on: “If you and Medli manage to make it to Valoo and calm him down, I’ll give you the pearl. Now leave before I change my mind."

Link left, and set off for Medli’s study, hoping she would shine light on the whole situation. He stepped into the study, only to find it empty. Remembering her direction from earlier, Link stepped around the desk and through the door in the back of the room. He was caught off guard to find himself on a balcony, as he was expecting a library or something similar. The balcony overlooked a dry hole with a small pool of water that had a large boulder in the middle of it on the right side of the hole, which was directly in front of Link. There was volcanic ash everywhere, as well as the wind swirling He walked to the left, where there was what appeared to be the remains of a wooden bridge. Standing in the hole, where the bridge used to be, was Medli. Link jumped down to meet her.

“You actually came! I hate to have to ask you to such a dangerous place, but I have to! This place used to be a beautiful spring, with a bridge over it, that we would go across on the way to meet Valoo. But when he became angry, he knocked a boulder down the mountain, which destroyed the bridge and clogged the spring. You can see what happened. Oh, but what happened with Prince Komali?”

“Well, it was… not great,” said Link. He then recounted his whole meeting with the young prince.

Medli stared at Link, sadness on her face. “I may be partially to blame for all this,” she sighed. “How so?” Link asked.

Medli sighed again.

“I think I owe you an explanation of all this.”

“Prince Kolami’s mother was the great Valoo’s former attendant. She was a great woman, and I was honored to have her as my mentor. But then… You see, it is tradition for Valoo’s attendant to wait at the top of Dragon Roost Island for a Rito child, who must journey through Dragon Roost cavern to prove his or her bravery and thus earn his or her wings. When Komali’s time came, he passed the trial well enough, but since his mother was the attendant, he wanted her to speak to Valoo on his part, for he had always been overly reliant on her. This was the day that Valoo entered into his… current state. We don’t know what happened, for Komali and his mother were the only ones there, but it must be presumed that Valoo, inadvertently, killed Komali’s mother.”

“So that’s why…” Link said, realizing everything. “But why do you blame yourself?”

“Because I had been studying under Prince Komali’s mother to become the next attendant to Valoo. The day this happened, the prince came into the main room and collapsed. After waking up and telling his father what had happened, he retreated to his room, as he still is. I came to him on the first day after the incident and offered to go up with him. He refused, and if only I could possess some of her strength, I’m sure Komali would feel bold enough to go up. Which brings me to the favor. I intend to go to the top of Dragon Roost to speak with the great Valoo, but that ledge is so high! I just need some wind under my wings… Do you think you could help me?

“Sure, but what do you need?” asked Link.
“I just need you to throw me at the ledge, so I can get enough air to fly to the top.” Medli replied. Link noticed a small mound of earth and indicated it. “I think I could do it from there,” he said. “Perfect,” said Medli. Link kneeled down, cupping his hands. Medli stepped into them, and Link slowly stood up. He walked onto the mound, and waited until the ashes in the air were blowing towards the ledge, and threw Medli in that direction. She spread her wings out, and after two mighty flaps landed on the ledge.

“Thank you so much, Link!” she called. “I think I’ll be able to make it to the top now to speak to Valoo. I may just be a trainee, but I think I know enough of his language to speak to him. I wish I could give you more of a thank you, but this is all I have,” Medli said as she gave Link an empty bottle. Link accepted it as she went on: “Please don’t tell anyone we did this, okay? It’s our secret!” With this, she left.
Link wondered what he could do with an empty bottle, but remembered how he had thought the same of the bag he had received from Niko. He looked around wondering how he was supposed to get out of this hole. He noticed that there were some small, withered plants on the mound he was standing on, went over to the small pool of water and scooped some up in his bottle, and then dumped the water on the plants. Unexpectedly, the plants grew instantly, becoming large blue orbs with a string coming out of the top.

Link had not been expecting this, and looked at the plants, knowing the shape to be vaguely familiar. He then realized that they were bomb flowers. Looking back at the rock that Medli had said was clogging the spring, an idea began to form in Link’s head. He picked a bomb flower, and it began to ignite. He then threw it at the rock. It fell in the water harmlessly. He had to repeat the process several more times before finally getting the bomb to destroy the rock.
The spring began to gush. As the water level in the pit rose, Link began to panic, remembering how Medli had said that the entire pit used to be full, and began wondering how he was going to get out. He looked at where he had come into the pit, and an idea formed. He ran over to the bridge, and attempted to use it as a ladder to get back to the top. He began to climb as the water swirled around his feet. After he made it to the top, he watched as the entire pit began to fill with water. When it had filled completely, Link swam across to the ledge he had thrown Medli onto. Determined to take matters into his own hands and help Medli to calm down Valoo in order to get Din’s pearl, he set down the path.

Finally done with part 4! I need write more often...
I started this out intending to be 100% faithful to the gameplay. I'm starting to realize and experiment with making it more of a story, while still staying true to the game. I tried a little too hard to make the Komali situation more dramatic, but the staying the night I'm very pleased with.

Last edited:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Chapter 5: Dragon Roost Cavern
Link looked around at his surroundings. He was inside the heart of the mountain, which he realized was a volcano. There seemed to be a series of wooden bridges crossing the chamber at various levels. There was one in front of him, so he set down it. The bridge swayed precariously, and Link tried not to imagine falling into the lava that was bubbling beneath him.

On the other side of the bridge, he pushed the large stone door upward and stepped through. Here was a passage that curved upwards and to the left. He set off up it. When he came to the next door, it was locked with chains. Link wondered what he could do now. He looked back down the passage he had just come up. He then saw a chest to the side. Looking inside, he found a key. When he tried it in the lock, the chains detached from the large lock in the middle, causing it to fall to the ground, destroying the key. Link jumped back as it fell, startled, but then realized that the door was now openable. He lifted it open and stepped through.

Just as Link expected, he was facing the second-highest bridge. He walked across it, keeping his gaze fixed on the door on the other side. Just before he reached the other side, two fiery bats swooped down at him. Link fumbled for his sword, and before he could grab it, one of the bats swept down and bit him. He shook it off, and stumbled into the rope at the edge of the bridge. His heart nearly stopped. He ran for the end of the bridge, then turned, sword in hand, to fight the monsters just as one swept at him. He swung his sword, and struck the creature. It fell to the ground, and disappeared in a puff of smoke, just as the Bokoblins had done. He turned around, lifted the door and went through.

Just as the previous door, there was a passage that curved upwards, this one to the right. Link walked up it, keeping his eyes peeled for a chest. There was no need. The door on this one wasn’t locked. Link repeated this process 7 more times before stepping into a room that was different from the last. This one had a large pool of lava to the right, with a raised ledge about 10 feet across it. There were wooden objects that resembled dragon claws stuck in the wall about 3 feet out and 5 feet up over the lava pit. To the left was another locked door. Link sighed in frustration. Where was he supposed to find a key? He tried to cut the chains with his sword, to no avail. He even tried picking the lock with his sword, with no results. Looking around, he noticed a hallway opposite the door he had just come through.

It went on for about 20 feet, where it ended in a circular room. In the center of the room was a chest. Link opened the chest, hoping there was another key. He wasn’t disappointed. He went back to the locked door, and found that the key worked. He tried to stop the key from being destroyed, but the lock was too heavy for him to support, and it fell to the ground, destroying the key. Wondering if this was intentional design by whoever had designed these locks, he opened the door.

The view of the ocean that he now had, being so high on the mountain as he was, so enthralled Link that he didn’t notice the lack of a guardrail. The ledge he was standing on was about 10 feet from the mountain to the ocean, so it wasn’t overly precarious, but still startled Link when he realized. He then noticed the much narrower stairs leading up the mountain on his left. Hoping he was on the right track, he started to scale it. There was a gap where a few steps had been knocked out, and the hop Link used to avoid it was one of the most heart-stopping things that he had ever done. He finally reached the top to see a large iron gate. It suddenly opened.

The gate led to a courtyard-like area. About 20 feet across it was a large raised platform, and this was where Valoo sat. Link looked up at the mighty dragon, and hoped Medli had succeeded in calming him down. He then noticed the two bokoblins directly under the platform, although they had not noticed him. Behind them was a hollow, and this had been converted into a jail, with crude wooden beams blocking it off. Link’s curiosity turned to shock when he saw Medli inside of it.

Abandoning all regard for his safety, he attacked the Bokoblins. Choosing the one on his left first, he jump attacked it when he came close enough, and it fell to the ground. Knowing he had seconds to spare, Link turned his attention to the other Bokoblin. Before he had time to attack, the creature swung its sword at Link. Link rolled to the side in the parry Orca had shown him, and struck the Bokoblin from behind. He hit it twice more with his sword before it disappeared. Having taken out one, Link faced the first Bokoblin. He had to block two attacks with his shield before getting an opening to slice. He unleashed a barrage of blows on the Bokoblin before it could recover, and it too disappeared.

Link then turned to free Medli, but a shadow fell on the courtyard. Link looked up to see a giant bird drop a Moblin into the center. As the brute approached Link, his courage nearly failed him, but he went into the fighting stance Orca had taught him, and put all of his concentration on the Moblin.

The brute swung its staff at Link, and he barely had time to block it with his shield. Link took a slash at it with his sword, and the Moblin blocked it. The two paced around each other, and the Moblin took another slash. Link didn’t react quick enough this time, and he was sent flying across the courtyard. He staggered to his feet as the Moblin approached him. He struck with his sword, only for it to be blocked again. But then the battle began to change in his favor. The Moblin struck again, and this time Link was ready. He parried and struck it several times from behind. When it turned around and struck at him, he was able to block it with his shield, and unleash several more blows on it before it could recover. It fell to the ground and disappeared in a puff of smoke.

“YES!” cried Link, jumping and punching the air in celebration. “I DID IT!”

“Congratulations, Link,” said Medli from her cage. “Now do you think you could possibly get me out of here?”

“What? Oh, of course,” said Link, remembering why he had come here. He inspected the boards, and decided just to pull them down. They collapsed easily, and Medli stepped across. “Thank you so much, Link! I have discovered the source of Valoo’s distress!”

“You managed to talk to him?” asked Link

“Yes, I did, I knew what words to say that could calm him down. He then told me that some creature is doing horrible things to his tail!” Medli recounted. “Now here, take this.” Medli handed Link a rope with a claw at the end. “This is a grappling hook, it is what we Rito used before we developed our relationship with Valoo that allowed us to fly. I don’t have much time to explain before Valoo comes out of his trance, but this should allow you to get into the chamber where Valoo hangs his tail to find out what’s wrong. I’m going to go and tell the chieftain what’s going on.

With this she flew away. Link watched her leave, wishing that he would get more complete instructions, then set off down the stairs. He went back to the room with the large lava pit, and noticed the sticks in the wall. Wondering if this was what they were for, Link threw the grappling hook claw first at the stick. It wrapped around, and Link pulled it tight. He then ran and jumped over the lava pit, holding onto the rope. He swung across the pit, and dropped down on the other side. There was another door, larger and more ominous than the rest. This one was locked in a similar fashion to some of the others, but this lock was larger and more intricate.

Link sighed. Where had all these doors come from? He swang back over the lava pit and wondered where he would find the key. He stepped back outside to think in the fresh sea air.

As he stared out over the ocean, trying to remember anything he might have missed on his way up, he looked to his left, and noticed a platform too far out for him to jump to. As he looked at it, he noticed a rod sticking out of the side of the mountain that was similar to the one inside that he had swung off on his grappling hook. Curiosity got the better of him, and he tossed the rope, and it wrapped around the rod. Holding onto the rope, Link ran and jumped off of the ledge. He swung across the gap and landed with a grunt on the platform. There was a door just like all the ones inside. He lifted it up and walked through. Inside was more lava, and a path through it to a larger stone area. Link walked down this, and saw there was a large, ornate chest with iron bars surrounding it. About six feet away was a switch similar to the one on the pirates ship. Link jumped onto the switch, and the bars surrounding the chest retracted. He stepped off the switch to look inside the chest, and they went back up.

About to lose his temper, Link stared around the room wondering what he could use to hold the button down. At that moment, a large, fiery centipede came out of the lava and noticed Link. Link drew his sword and faced the creature. It came closer, then reared up and opened its claws, exposing its eye. Link stabbed the eye, and the centipede rolled up into a ball. An idea came to Link.

He picked up the centipede and dropped it on the button. It was heavy enough for the button to depress, causing the bars around the chest to fall. Link opened it and looked inside, and there was a large key inside. He took it, just as the centipede began to unroll. The bars came back up, and Link hurried out of the room before the centipede could attack him.

Putting the key into his bag, Link swang with his grappling hook to the other ledge. He went back inside, swang to the locked door, and got his key back out. Placing it into the lock, he turned it, and the lock began to click and rotate, the chains fell off, the lock fell to the ground, and the door was unlocked. Link lifted it up and came through.

He was inside a large, circular room that was very tall. Valoo’s tail hung down from the ceiling, over a pit of lava. There was a walkway around the lava, wide enough for Link to lie down in. He looked around the room, wondering where Valoo’s tormenter could be hiding. Just then, the lava began to bubble and a huge scorpion-like monster came out of it. Link stared up at it, wondering what he could do against such a monster. It then leaned down in front of Link, placing its two front claws on either side of him so he couldn’t escape. More terrified than he had ever been in his life, Link wondered if this was the end as the creature’s one large blue eye stared at him intensely. His eyes then fell on Valoo’s tail. Under any other circumstances, he wouldn’t have even considered this, but the situation was dire. Taking his grappling hook out of his bag, he cast it at the claw at the end of Valoo’s tail. It wrapped around, and Valoo screamed and shook his tail around, jerking the rope and letting Link sail over the monster, just as it began to breathe fire. He felt terrible for increasing the great Valoo’s agony, but he felt he had no other choice. Then the unexpected happened.

A rock in the ceiling that Valoo had been sticking his tail through fell, right on top of the monster. It screamed, and it's armor began to crack. It pushed the rock back up to the ceiling, and began looking for Link again, who now knew what he had to do. It pained him to torment Valoo further, but he once more threw his grappling hook around Valoo’s tail, and when he thrashed it around, Link swang across the pit, just as the giant scorpion tried to corner him. The rock fell back down on the monster, cracking its shell further. Link stood ready as it pushed the rock back up, then sank lower into the lava and began looking for him. He once again grappled on Valoo’s tail, swang across the room, and watched the rock fall. This time, it shattered the monster’s shell. For a second Link thought he had killed it, but then it threw the rock against the wall, shattering it. Link stood waiting, and just as he expected, the monster tried to corner him. This time he was prepared. He slashed his sword at the monster’s eye, causing it to rear up in pain. He had to do this twice more before it reared up, fell backwards, and hardened. Link just stared in disbelief, waiting for it to do something else.

At that moment, the chieftain, Quill, Medli, and a few more Rito burst into the room. “Link, what are you doing in here?” asked the chieftain. “What is that?” he asked, indicating the shell of the monster. “What have you done?” “I-I’ve solved your problems,” stammered Link, still breathless from the fight. “Is that… Is THAT what had been torturing Valoo?” cried Medli. She slumped to the ground, and the chieftain indicated for her to be escorted out. He then turned to face Link.
“Link, on behalf of the Rito tribe, I would like to thank you for solving this. We had noticed this door had been locked off, and we were questioning it. You have shown great courage, and have our gratitude.”

“I did what I had to, sir,” replied Link.

“You were under no such obligation, Link,” said the chieftain. “I am in awe. Not only that you have solved this, but also the monumental task it must have been, and now your modesty in the affair. You truly must be destined for greatness. Now, to business! Is there any boon you would have us grant?”
Link thought, then remembered why he had come in the first place. He then remembered a question he had. “Just two, sir: First, what is this place?”
The chieftain nodded. “I thought you might be curious. This is the trial that all young Rito must pass. It is rather simple, but all the more challenging for that. The young Rito must walk all the bridges, as our ancestors did, to prove their worthiness for wings. We had placed the doors and some of the locks as a way to keep anyone from getting to Valoo. I was going to have Medli disciplined for what she had done, but then I realized she had more right than anyone. Thankfully it worked. Now, what was your second request?”

“I would like to visit Komali with Medli.” said Link. “My son! I nearly forgot! He will be so glad to hear the news! But, yes, I can arrange for Medli to meet you in his chamber.”

A few minutes later, Link and Medli were standing in front of Prince Komali’s door. They glanced at each other, then Link opened the door and they came in.
The Prince was still sitting on his bed, still staring into Din’s pearl. As Link wondered if he did anything else, Medli began to speak.

“Your Highness, Link has news to share!” she said.

“What is it now?” scoffed Komali.

“I, uh, I’ve…. I’ve solved your problem!” Link blurted. Komali scowled doubtfully. “And how?”
“Um, well, there was a huge monster torturing Valoo’s tail, and I killed it,” said Link, knowing how ridiculous it sounded.

“Like I’m gonna believe that,” scoffed Komali.

“It’s true,” cut in Medli. “You can come see the remains if you wish.”

“Oh, alright,” said Komali. “But I want him to leave my room,” he added with a glance in Link’s direction as he placed Din’s pearl on his dresser. Link obliged, and the trio left the room. Komali and Medli left to see the remains, and Link decided to update the King of Red Lions.

After Link had explained the whole situation, and where Din’s pearl was now, the King of Red Lions looked up at the mountain thoughtfully. “I have to reason to believe that this Komali will not surrender the pearl, but still… It is pointless to worry about something that may not even happen. I suggest we wait for him and Medli to return, and hope he decides to surrender the pearl.” He had no reason to be concerned. Medli and Komali came shortly, Komali holding Din’s pearl. “Thank you so much, Link,” said Komali. “I’m sorry I mistrusted you. I want you to have this to do… Whatever you need to do. I hope I can be as brave as you someday.” With this, he gave Link Din’s pearl.

“I’m sure you can be that brave,” said Medli, then turned to Link. “The great Valoo is grateful to you, too, Link,” she said.

At that moment, Valoo began to roar. Medli stared intensely at him, then turned to Link and said, “He says to… use the wind…. I think… I wonder if it has anything to do with the wind god’s shrine on the other side of the island? But it’s ruined…” She was now mostly talking to herself, and the King of Red Lions interrupted. “We shall look into it. Now, Link we must be going.” Link climbed into the boat and set the sail. He waved goodbye to Komali and Medli, and they waved back. “Bye, Link!” called Komali “Next time you see me, I’ll have the best pair of wings you ever saw!” Link smiled at this as Medli called, “Be safe, Link, and come back!” Link nodded as the boat went around the island and obstructed the Rito children.

Took me a while, but that was because I hadn't written in a while. I actually wrote it pretty quickly, I feel like. I really butchered the dungeon game-accuracy wise, but I'm happy with the readability of it. I really modified the whole Dragon Roost plot, and while I'm happy with it, I'm probably not gonna go that big again. I just had a lot of headcanon type material that I wanted to put in.

Last edited:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
CHAPTER 6: The Great Sea
Link and the King of Red Lions cruised around Dragon Roost Island until they saw the shrine of the wind god. Link guided his boat right up to the shrine, which was floating in the water a little way off from the island. He climbed out and walked up the shrine to what appeared to be two stones about as high as him. The one on his right had what looked like directional markers, while the one on the left was wrecked. Link looked closer at the arrows on the right, wondering what they could mean. He then remembered the King of Red Lions telling him how to use the Wind Waker. He pulled it out and waved it in the directions indicated, as if he were conducting an orchestra.
The wind began to blow, and Link saw a cloud approaching with a figure seated on top. It grew nearer, and then hovered over the stone on the right.
“Woo-hoo! That’s a mighty fine breeze! So you’re the newest Waker of the Winds, eh?” said the figure who looked rather like a frog “You have a good wind-sense about you. The name’s Zephos. I’m one of the wind gods. That tune you just played is the Wind’s Requiem.”

At this Link cut in: “I’m sorry, but I didn’t play anything?”

“Oh, you did. The music created by the Wind Waker is imperceptible to mortal ears. Anyway, the Wind’s Requiem. Play that, and the winds will succumb to your will! Depending on how you use it, wind can be a good thing or a bad thing. For an example of a bad thing, just look at my brother, Cyclos. He’s upset that his monument was destroyed, and he spends all his time using his cyclones to torment people. If you happen to meet him, chastise him for me, would you? And with that, we part, young Waker of the Winds!”

With that, Zephos laughed and flew off. Link walked back to the King of Red Lions, who despite his wooden face, seemed to be beaming with pride.
“So you’ve discovered the true power of the Wind Waker, eh? Well, I’ve marked the location of the next pearl, so give us a nice little breeze, and let’s go! Link obliged, and after checking the map and finding the square 4 squares of Dragon Roost Island to be marked, turned the King of Red Lions south, got out the Wind Waker and played the Wind’s Requiem.

As they sailed away, a fish peeked out of the water and called to Link. “‘Hoy there, small fry! I saw that sea chart you had. It’s not much of a chart, though! It’s only got seas drawn on it! What a pathetic excuse for a chart! You want a real chart! Hold it out and let me mark it for you with this here Dragon Roost Island!”
Link took his chart out of his bag and held it out to the fish, who jumped out of the water, somehow holding a paintbrush, and sketched an island on the square that was Dragon Roost Island’s location. “Now, one last thing: If you ever see any of my brothers jumping out of the water, throw some bait on the water! They’ll mark your chart with the island nearest to them. You’ll need it if you have any hope of navigating these seas! Now, you there! Kingly Red Lion guy! I’ve done it!” continued the fish, directing his attention to the King of Red Lions. “I’ve settled my debt!” With this, he dove down and swam off.

“Who was that?” asked Link.

“An old… colleague… of mine,” replied the boat. “Now, onward! Ganon had already sent his monsters to Dragon Roost Island. There is no time to lose! We must make haste to the next pearl!”

Link set the sail and the boat continued on its course. He then asked a question that had been plaguing him. “What are these pearls for, sir? How will they help me save Aryll?” The King of Red Lions hesitated a second before replying. “There is an ancient power from the Hero of Time, who you carry on the lineage of, that is locked away. The pearls are the means of unlocking it.”
“I understand that,sir, but what is it?”

“I do not feel the need to share that information at the moment. Do you trust me?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Then do not worry what this power is. You shall know in due time, but until then it is best it remains a secret.” Link accepted this, then asked the other question that had been plaguing him: “Who are you? How can a boat talk?” At this, the King of Red Lions gave a small chuckle. “I am more than just a boat, but again, this is information you are not ready for. For the time being, I am your ally.”

They sailed on in silence for a while, then Link asked another question. “Where are we going next?” “Forest haven. It is where you will find Faroe’s Pearl. It is where the spirit of the land, the great Deku Tree lives with his children the Koroks.” was the reply.

At this, a memory sprang to the front of Link’s mind. “I think I have seen a Korok once before. When I was very young, it came to Outset Island and planted several trees. We were awed, as all the trees except for the ones in the forest had been cut down by our ancestors to build our houses, and the only reason they didn’t cut those down was because it would have been too dangerous to try to bring them down. The Korok that came to Outset was about as big as me, at the time, and he was slightly intimidating to me.”

The King of Red Lions chuckled again. “There is nothing to fear from the Koroks,” he said. “They are benevolent keepers of the earth. Each year the Deku Tree produces new nuts for the Koroks to go forth and plant, so that there may ever be trees.”

“Have you heard the tale of Hyrule, Link?” the King asked after a short while. “I know the tale of the Hero of Time,” Link replied, “but I don’t understand where Hyrule is in relation to the Great Sea.” At this, the King sighed sadly. “It is underneath. You know from the legend that the Hero of Time locked away the evil that threatened Hyrule. But after many years, a fell wind blew, releasing the evil. The people believed that the Hero of Time would come forth again, and save them. But he did not. As the evil grew stronger, they had nothing left but to appeal to the gods. No one remained who knew of the old kingdom of Hyrule, but the legend survived.”

“So the gods… flooded Hyrule?” asked Link.

“No one is alive who knows. The Great Sea was created to hold back the evil, but now it creeps forth again. This is why it is imperative we collect these pearls as soon as we can, so you can stand against it.”

They sailed on for a while longer, Link lost in thought. He was jerked from his ponderings by the King calling “Link, LOOK OUT!” He looked up to see that he was sailing straight into a cyclone. He shouted and tried to avert his course, but it was too late. The cyclone sucked in the King of Red Lions, and started to lift him and Link into the air. Link clung fast to the tiller as the boat was swirled around and upwards, and then began to speed downwards. They then splashed forcefully down, and in front of them sitting on a cloud was what looked like Zephos but with different coloring. Link assumed it to be his brother, Cyclos.
His suspicion was proved correct when the figure laughed. “Ha, ha! Foolish creature who does not fear the wind! The mighty Cyclos strikes again!” At this, Cyclos flew away on his cloud.

“Link you must pay attention when sailing! Where has that mischievous rascal dropped us? Check the sea chart.” Link took it out of his bag, and rolled it open. After looking for a moment, he found the dot resembling himself three squares northwest of where the King had marked Forest Haven.
He then pointed the boat in the correct direction, and played the Wind’s Requiem once more. The wind blew in the right direction, and the King of Red Lions began to speak again. “Link, you must be more careful. There are greater perils than cyclones on this sea. Ganon’s monsters have numerous outposts, and I am not sure where they all are.”

“Yes, sir,” said Link, feeling terrible for allowing them to get in such a predicament.

As they sailed on, Link noticed that the sun was setting. He saw a small island and drew the boat near.

“Link, what are you doing?” asked the King of Red Lions.

“I’m sorry, but I need to sleep. It’s been a long day.” he replied

“That it has. I suppose you must rest, but it pains me to delay any longer. There is a tent in my cargo hold. Feel free to use it.” Link stepped onto the island, and dug the tent out of the boat’s hold. He set it up, then crawled inside. Within minutes, he had fallen into a dreamless sleep.
When he woke up the next morning, it took him a moment to remember the events of the past two days. Had it really been that short? It felt as if he had lived a whole other life since his 12th birthday.
He packed up the tent, and after using the Wind Waker to set the wind, climbed aboard the King of Red Lions and set off towards Forest Haven. As he sailed away, he failed to notice the stone statue that also resided on the island, nor did the King of Red Lions mention it.
Later that morning, Forest Haven came into sight. “Finally, we have arrived! After what happened at Dragon Roost Island, I fear that Ganon’s vile monsters may very well have infiltrated this sacred space as well. Proceed with caution.” As he finished this proclamation, they had drawn up to the island. Link climbed out, and after checking his bag, set off.

Another chapter done! I'm really enjoying taking some creative liberties to explore the characters. I really wanted to get to know KORL with this one, and I realized I had never put the intro into it anywhere. I'm also getting quicker at writing, almost makes me feel like I'm not writing enough, lol. But also I reallly had a lot from Dragon Roost, I don't know if any of my chapters will get that long again. Maybe some of the last ones. Hope y'all are enjoying this!

Last edited:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Chapter 7: Farore’s Pearl.
There was a trail that led up to a small pool in the entrance to the inside of the giant tree. The pool fed a brook that ran alongside the trail. As Link walked up this, he noticed a large purple bulb and decided to take a closer look at it. When he drew near it, a large, snarling flower erupted out of it and struck Link. He fell to the ground, out of reach of the plant. It snapped and lunged at him, to no avail.

He stood up and drew his sword. The plant had stood up into a more neutral position. Link neared it in a fighting stance, and it lunged again. He blocked it with his shield, then struck it with his sword. The plant shrieked and stood straight up, facing the sky. Link used this as an opportunity to cut the stem, and the flower fell to the ground. Both the flower and the bulb it had come out of vanished in a puff of smoke, leaving a seed on the ground. Link picked it up and looked at it. He put it into his bag, fearing that if he left it, it would germinate and grow another one. Before he reached the pool at the top of the path, Link had encountered and dispatched three more of the plants, all of which had left behind a seed. He put these in his bag as well. When he came to the pool, he jumped in.

Rather, he tried. He had expected it to be a deep pool, but the water barely came up to his ankles. The current nearly caused him to lose his balance, and he had to tread carefully so as not to get whisked down the river by the swift current.
Link stepped into the giant tree that housed Forest Haven, and was taken aback by the beauty. There was a brook that wound lazily around the perimeter, providing water to the whole forest. The top of the giant tree opened to the sky, but the leaves filtered the light, giving it a green glow. Link wandered the forest, feeling strangely at home.

In the center of the forest, there was a tree that was much larger than the others. Link assumed this one to be the Deku Tree, and walked up to it. He walked around it, and found that this tree had a wooden face. His wonder turned to shock when large red and green bulblike creatures sprang up on the tree’s face. The tree rocked back and forth, groaning. Link tried to use his sword to cut them off, but they were too high. As he was jumping back and forth, he tripped.
He fell onto the tree, and one of the red creatures fell off. It fell in a blob, then congealed upward into a mass about shoulder-high to Link. It appeared to have bulging eyes near the top, and it moved towards Link somehow, cackling maniacally. Link drew his sword and slashed at it. Upon being hit, it rocked back and forth violently, then continued towards Link. He hit it again, and after rocking back and forth again, it disappeared.
Link now knew what he needed to do. He stepped back from the tree, which was still rocking and groaning in an attempt to get the jelly-like creatures off. He then ran towards it, and dove into a roll towards the base of the tree. He hit it head-on, and as he was recovering from the shock, heard plopping noises behind him. Turning around, he saw that the creatures had fallen from the tree and were now advancing towards him. He drew his sword and prepared to fight.
Link held his sword behind him, and prepared for the creatures to come to him. When enough of them were close, he launched into a spin attack, causing several of them to rock back and forth as violently as the first one. The few in the back that had not been hit by the spin attack Link hit individually. By this time, the ones he had hit with the spin attack had reanimated. He slashed each one of them individually, and caused them all to disappear.
When he had finished this, the tree began to speak in a language unknown to Link. It then shook its head and spoke in Link’s tongue.
“I apologize. I was in error. I saw your clothing and it caused a longing for days gone by. That longing caused the language to pass my lips. I thank you for ridding me of those foul creatures. Tell me: Was it not the King of Red Lions-the boat who speaks, who led you here?”
“Indeed it was,” replied Link, who had been looking at the tree, unable to shake the feeling something was wrong with his appearance. The tree’s visage was kind enough, it resembled a portly old man, but Link felt that it shouldn’t look like that. He decided that the oddity of seeing a tree with a face was what was disconcerting him as the tree continued to speak.

“So it is true, you come with need of Farore’s pearl. I had wondered why monsters were congregating around my forest. Now I know. Ganon has returned. In that case, we must make haste. Koroks!” He was now speaking to the forest in general. “Little children of the woods! This boy is not your enemy! Let your hearts be at ease and show yourselves!” At this, Koroks began to emerge from various trees and bushes.
“What do you call yourself, boy?” the Deku Tree asked as the Koroks came nearer.
“Link,” was the reply

“Well then, Link, these are the Koroks, the spirits of the forest. At one time they had human forms, but they have grown to fear humans. To me, however, they will forever be my cherished little children. As it happens, you are just in time for the ceremony the Koroks perform once a year. I shall grant the pearl, but first we must complete this ceremony. I apologize for the delay, but if we do not complete it soon, it may be too late. Now, to business! Koroks! Are you ready?”

“We are not, oh Great Deku Tree!” said one of the Koroks! “Something terrible has happened! It is Makar! Makar!”
“What is the matter, Linder?” asked the Deku Tree “You and Makar are always late.”
“N-no, oh Great Deku Tree! He has fallen into the-the Lost Woods!” replied Linder.
“The WHAT?! The Lost Woods! I told him to be careful, but he still flies over it and falls in! Foolish Makar! Link! You have heard this, no? The Lost Woods are right next to our own. The whole forest is a haven of evil monsters. And now Makar has been taken by them. Your presence here is no mistake, I deem. The King of Red Lions expects great things of you, I deem- it is why he brought you here. I am sorry to ask this of you, but could you possible save Makar?”
“Of course, sir,” replied Link. “But how-” He was unable to finish the question as one of the Koroks began to speak: “But, sir! Humans cannot fly! And the Lost Woods cannot be reached from the sea!”

“Ah, of course,” replied the Deku Tree. “Link, I would guess from your size that you are heavier than my Korok children, but I still think I can help.” At this, he shed a leaf, which fluttered down towards Link. He picked it up as the Deku Tree spoke. “You must fly to reach the Lost Woods. The Koroks can use my leaves to fly, but you are too heavy for my leaves to support you in flight. I believe, however, that you should be able to glide on one. Climb on that ledge and try!”
Link walked up a slope to the ledge the Deku Tree had indicated. He then held the leaf above his head and jumped off. Instead of falling straight to the ground, as he had expected, he glided gently through the forest. After landing softly, he turned with a grin to the Deku Tree. “It works, sir!”
“Excellent! I recommend you practice a few more times before undertaking the flight to the Lost Woods.” Link obliged, wanting to be as proficient as possible with the leaf. He jumped off a few more times, taking pointers from the Koroks on how to angle the leaf so that he could angle his descent.
“I’m ready now,” he announced eventually.

“Up here, sir!” called a Korok from a ledge higher than the one he had been practicing from. Link walked under it, and looked up. “How am I supposed to get up there?” Looking over, he noticed a tree that grew up past the ledge nearby. He climbed up it, and glided over to the ledge with his Deku Leaf. The ledge led outside, where the Korok was waiting.

“Right there, sir!” he said, indicating the gnarled tree that housed the Lost Woods. “I don’t dare to go any further, however! It’s all you now!” Link took a running jump off of the ledge and held up the Deku Leaf. He glided towards the Lost Woods, the ocean churning beneath him. With panic, he soon realized that he wasn’t going to be able to go through the top like he was planning. Thinking quickly, he looked over the surface of the gnarled tree for an opening one. Finding one, he angled the leaf downwards in an attempt to make it.

Upon landing successfully, he stepped through the opening into the Lost Woods and looked around. The trees here were slightly larger and more space out than in the Forest Haven, but there was a lot of very tall grass. Link drew his sword and began to slash a way through the grass, all the while calling “Makar! Makar, can you hear me? The great Deku Tree sent me to save you!”

Wandering the forest, Link encountered several Bokoblins here and there, which he dispatched easily. He also saw a Moblin, which he was careful to not be noticed by. There were also several more of the jelly-like creatures that had been infesting the Deku Tree. All the while, the thought that something was amiss with the Deku Tree plagued him. It came to him that he had been expecting the tree to be larger, and for his face to be set more into the trunk, instead of protruding as it did. There was also a mustache in his mental image. Link had no idea where the image had come from.
Link came to the center of the forest, and found that there was a ring of trees that was too tight for him to get or see through. Certain this was where Makar was, he yelled “MAKAR! CAN YOU HEAR ME?” but no response came.

Link paced around the ring, looking for a possible way in. An idea then came to him. He searched the trees around the ring for a climbable one. Finding a suitable candidate, he began to scale it. As he scaled it, he discovered what appeared to be the remains of a tree house. Shocked, he looked around, and saw a boomerang in relatively good condition. He snatched it up and put it in his bag, figuring it could be useful.
When he scaled the tree, Link prepared to glide. Holding up the Deku Leaf, he jumped towards the ring of trees. Instead of gliding over, as he expected to, Link crashed into the leaves at the top of one of the trees. He had to climb through and down them to get to the inside of the ring.
When his feet hit the ground, he looked around. There was a large flower lying in the middle of the ring. There was a Korok standing in the middle of it. Link waved and called out “Makar!” The Korok hopped up and down a couple of times, and appeared to be calling out to Link.
He stepped closer so he could hear, but then the flower rolled up. It folded its petals into a bulb, trapping Makar inside. It then extended vines and attached them to the top of the ring of trees, raising itself up in the air. Vines also came out of the bottom of the bulb, and the ones closest to Link began to thrash in an effort to reach him.

Link stared in disbelief and despair at the plantlike abomination, wondering if it was already too late for Makar. An idea came to him, seeing how nothing else seemed good, he decided to go for it. He took the boomerang he had found in the ruined treehouse out of his bag and looked up.
After positioning himself strategically, he threw the boomerang at the vines holding the bulb up. It flew in an arc, and cut several of the vines. Link caught it and moved to another spot to get another shot. As he was trying to figure out which way it would go, he failed to notice the lower vines. The monster thrust one of these into the ground, and brought it up right under Link.

He flew through the air, and landed on his side. After assessing his injuries, he stood shakily to his feet and prepared to throw the boomerang.
It took four more throws of the boomerang to cut all the vines, but when he did, the bulb fell to the ground, where it unfurled. But instead of Makar, all Link saw was a plant similar to the ones he had encountered on his way into the Forest Haven, but slightly larger. Hoping that Makar was merely trapped inside, and not somehow transformed into this abomination, Link ran up to it and began to attack it with his sword.

Suddenly, the flower began to roll back up. Link ran towards the edge and had to roll to get off of it before it curled back into a bulb. Once more, the vines came out of the top, suspending it from the trees. This time, Link was prepared.

He began to methodically cut the vines using the boomerang. Once he stepped too close to the bulb and the lower vines smacked him to the floor. When he again cut all the vines, he drew his sword and rushed in. This time, he was able to sever the flower from its base, and the head fell to the ground. The large flower on the ground rapidly withered, and freed Makar from a bulb at the base.
“Thank you, oh Swordsman! When all went dark around me, I thought my time on the earth had come to an end! Who sent you, Swordsman?”

“The-the Great Deku Tree,” gasped Link, kneeling over and putting his hands on his knees. His legs were sore from the impact of the vine from underground, his shoulder hurt where he had landed on it, and his chest from where the vine had smacked him to the floor.

“Oh, that’s right! Today is the ceremony! I’m in trouble! I shouldn’t be here!” squeaked Makar. He began to fly away using his Deku Leaf, when Link called to him “Wait! I need to get out of here!”

“Of course, oh Swordsman!” Makar replied, and hovered in the air, looking down at Link. Wondering what to do, Link tossed his grappling hook from Medli at the trees. It hung on a branch, and Link painfully pulled himself up. He scaled the tree and slid down his rope on the other side. “Le-let’s go.” he said to Makar, who had flown over. After walking over to the opening he had used to get in, Link unfurled his Deku Leaf and sailed across the Forest Haven.
He walked through the entrance in the pool he had come through before, and limped to the Deku tree. The Koroks had gathered around the Great Deku Tree, who was speaking to Makar: “Makar! You have returned safely!”

“I-I’m sorry, oh Great Deku Tree,” replied Makar “I knew you had said to be safe, but still I did not heed your words.”
“All is forgiven, Makar,” replied the Tree. “Now, the ceremony!” Link saw that many of the Korks were now holding crude musical instruments, and they were ready to play them. A Korok shook a rattling instrument, then they all burst into an energetic song.
Link enjoyed the tune, and lost himself in the music, while the Deku tree produced seeds and gave them to the Koroks, who flew off with them "Now, I have not forgotten the pearl,” said the Deku Tree. Of course! Farore’s Pearl! How had he forgotten? The tree shook its branches, and a glowing green orb came down. Link accepted it, and left the Forest Haven, noticing that his injuries were healed.

This one was a lot of fun to write. Again, I really modified the dungeon to make it more fun to read, and I'm very pleased with it. The original version actually had Link having OoT flashbacks, but I had forgotten the dialouge with Jabu-Jabu later on, so that was scrapped.

Last edited:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
CHAPTER 8:Greatfish Island.
Link walked down the trail to the King of Red Lions, a smile on his face as he carried Farore’s Pearl. “Look what I got!” he said triumphantly to the King of Red Lions.

“Excellent! Place it in my hold and let us sail northwest to the final pearl!” the boat replied enthusiastically.

Link hesitated. “Well, sir, how far away is this island?” he asked. The King of Red Lions considered for a moment, then replied “If I am not mistaken, it is on the other side of the Great Sea, so we must make haste!” Link groaned. “That’s probably a full day of sailing, then? I was hoping to spend the night in the forest…” he trailed off, looking back at the Forest Haven. For the sunset was just beginning to fade into twilight.

The King of Red Lions stared at Link. “Pardon me,” he said “I have not needed such things as sleep in a long time, and I forgot that you are still young. Feel free to stay the night. I do not feel that excessive haste is needed, especially if it is at the cost of your well-being. Do you want the sleeping bag?”

“No, sir, thank you,” said Link as he stepped up to the King of Red Lions and placed Farore’s Pearl inside of the hold. “I was actually planning on sleeping under the stars.”

“Well, have a good night, Link,” said the boat. “I hope to hear a detailed report of your adventures today while we are sailing tomorrow. “Yes, sir,” Link said. “You can look forward to it.”

Link ventured back into the forest, unrolled his Deku Leaf onto the ground, laid down on it and stared up through the leafy branches that filtered the light. His mind wandered over the events of the past two days, and he realized that he was no longer worried about Aryll. Yes, he still wanted to save her, but he was no longer worried. He trusted the King of Red Lions, and he knew that whatever the boat was leading him towards would allow him to save his sister. But what then? Link didn’t know if he could settle back down to Outset life after seeing so much else of the great sea. He pondered that, and as twilight gave way to night, drifted off to sleep.

Link awoke the next morning to the sun beaming through the trees. He stood up and stretched, drinking in the forest air. After rolling up his Deku Leaf, he scooped up some of the forest water in his bottle from Medli, to take with him to drink. After putting the cork in the bottle, he left the Forest Haven and walked down the path to the King of Red Lions.

“Good morning, Link,” said the boat. “Did you sleep well?”

“Yes, sir,” Link replied. “I feel more rested now than I have in a long time. I’m ready to get the final pearl.”

“That is good,” replied the King of Red Lions. “I now realize it was probably best for you to have such a rest. The Forest Haven is a beautiful place.”

“Have you been inside it?” asked Link as he boarded the boat and steered it out into the open water.

“In a manner of speaking,” said the boat hesitantly. “I suppose I can tell you I was made from wood from the forest. That is all I will tell you, so do not trouble yourself with further questions.”

“Yes, sir,” Link replied as he pulled the Wind Waker from his belt. He conducted it in the pattern of the Wind’s Requiem, and then pointed the baton to the northwest. A lively breeze blew in that direction, and Link set the sail to catch it and propel them to the next pearl.

A question then came to his mind. “Where is the next pearl? I assume it is in the care of some guardian spirit like Valoo or the Deku Tree, but I don’t think you’ve ever told me.” “That I have not,” replied the King of Red Lions. “It is with Lord Jabun, who lives in Greatfish Isle.”

“I think I have heard of Greatfish Isle,” replied Link. “Is that not where a town even larger than the one on Windfall is?” The King of Red Lions nodded. “I suppose you shall want to sightsee?” Link shifted uneasily. “I mean, I’ve always wanted to see other places besides Outset,” he replied. The King of Red Lions chuckled. “That is ok. With our current rate, we should arrive around noon. You may sightsee and buy some lunch, but we must go to see Jabun before 3 this afternoon.” Link smiled at this, and replied “Thank you, sir,” excited to be able to see the world.

“Now, I believe you owe me a report of your experience in the Forest Haven?” the King of Red Lions asked slyly. Link laughed. “That I do, sir,” he responded. He then began with nearly being washed down the stream, and recounted his adventures. The King of Red Lions was an excellent listener, only interrupting once with a question: “You say the Korok Makar was sitting on the flower itself?” When Link confirmed this, the boat shook his head. “It is almost as if… but no… Continue with your story.”

At around noon, judging by the sun, Greatfish Isle came into sight. There was a large cloud hovering over it, and as they drew closer, it began to rain. When they came closer to the island, Link noticed with shock that it had been destroyed, leaving giant chunks of land floating in the water
“Oh, no, oh no……… Wh-What is the meaning of this?? Greatfish Island….. It has been destroyed..” the King of Red Lions reacted to the destruction. “I knew we had little time, but I never suspected how little. There is no sign of Jabun. I can only hope….” the boat trailed off, Link noticing the ill-disguised panic in his voice.

They had drawn up to the island by now, and Link stepped out of the boat onto a flat piece of land. He looked around the ruins for any possible sign of ruins or survivors. Behind him, he heard the King muttering under his breath, something about “Would have heard…. Not Forest Haven….Would have met.” The sky had grown much darker, and the rain was picking up. Link was just about to ask the boat where their next move was when a noise in the sky made him look up with a start.
Quill the Rito postman flew down and landed on a piece of Greatfish Island that was ten feet above Link and looked down at him. “ ‘Hoy there,

Link! What brings you to Greatfish, or rather what once was Greatfish?” The King of Red Lions responded. “We came seeking the great spirit Jabun. Do you have news of his whereabouts?” Quill nodded. “Jabun was able to flee the island before it was attacked. He is in a safer abode now. You may well know where this abode is, Link for it is where you were born. It is on Outset Island.”

“Out-Outset?” Link asked weakly. “Indeed,” Quill responded. “He is in a cave that has been sealed with a wall of stone. However… I must apologize, for I told Tetra’s pirates this, assuming they would pass it on to you. Instead, they went straight to Outset and tried to destroy the wall themself. They did not succeed. Now they are on Windfall, doing I know not what. I feel that if you want to get to Jabun, you must find the pirates, for they are surely doing something to try to gain access. What a strange island this is! It’s hardly past noon, yet it’s so dark and stormy! If I were you, I wouldn’t stay here too long. But I’ve told you of Jabun, so my task is done!” With this, he spread his wings and flew away.

The King of Red Lions nodded grimly. “I shudder to think what the pirates could want with Jabun. Let us make haste to Windfall! It is almost directly northeast of here, but with the unpredictable winds of this storm… I suppose the Wind Waker should be able to overpower it. Well? Why have you not boarded?” he asked, for Link was still standing on the piece of rock, trying not to cry.

“Its just…. Outset… I didn’t want to return without Aryll… and now we have to… Everyone will think me a coward and a fool who gave up on saving her because it was too hard…” With this, he slumped to the ground and curled his arms around his knees, weeping.

The King of Red Lions looked compassionately at Link. “Link, listen to me please,” he said in a softer tone than his usual serious, gruff tone. “I understand that your returning to Outset may be found cowardly at first, but it will not take long for them to realize Outset is merely a checkpoint in your journey. Your grandmother will probably be happy to know you are still safe. We are not even going to Outset right now, anyway,” he continued, reassuming his usual tone. “We are going to Windfall Island to try and intercept Tetra’s pirates in whatever mischief they may be involved in. Climb aboard and let us not waste any more time!”

Link obeyed, still reluctant about going to Outset without Aryll, but knowing that the King of Red Lions was correct. He pointed the boat to the northeast, used the Wind Waker to set the wind, and sailed away from the ruins of Greatfish Island.

I'm planning on reworking my earlier chapters because of what I've learned about writing since making them. Probably gonna clear this thread out and start anew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom