• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U The Wind Waker HD's Swift Sail Removes Wind-Based Travel

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
So, um... this is a quote from Eiji Aonuma. Just... just read it. Behold its glory.

Hello, members of the Zelda Community! This is Eiji Aonuma of Nintendo. It's great to be posting here again.

In the Nintendo Direct video that aired today, we announced new information on the soon to be released The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD. I would like to take this opportunity to talk about things that we weren't able to include in the announcement.

The Nintendo Direct video showed a glimpse of the Swift Sail (red sail) that allows the ship to go faster. Those of you who played the original may have noticed, but not only will this sail make the ship go faster, but it will always be full of wind, meaning you're now able to control the ship to any direction you want, without having to use the Wind Waker to change direction of the wind.

...Some of you may wonder whether this can still be called a sailing ship, but along with this sail and the nautical chart displayed on the Wii U GamePad that works like a car nav, it's now become much easier to travel to the small islands and salvage points scattered around the great sea. Even if you struggled with sea exploration in the original, I think you'll have a blast exploring the great sea once more.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD will launch this October. The always energetic Toon Link and the great, open sea is waiting for all of you to set sail. Thank you!

I... I can't believe this. They actually did it. They actually removed the most tedious feature in The Wind Waker!! OH, HAPPY DAY! :party:

Now, the Swift Sail isn't available from the get-go, but still, the fact that this is a thing is goddamn fantastic. Having to stop, play a song, change the wind direction, and watch an animation just to be able to change directions was a ridiculously irritating mechanic in the original game. And don't tell me that this is dumbing down the sailing. You can't possibly argue that going through the process I just detailed adds any kind of depth or challenge to the experience. It only adds tedium, and it wastes time.

I still probably won't be getting The Wind Waker HD (at least not at full price), but this along with the Triforce quest being fixed has alleviated (most of) my previously negative disposition towards the game. I'm still pissed at the lack of cel-shading, and I wish Nintendo had treated this like an actual remake by improving the overworld itself -- expanding the landscapes, adding actual substance to the sailing, and making the "second quest" a Hard Mode -- but for those that are anticipating this game, I'm sure this is wonderful news.

...Or is it? Let me know in the comments!

zlcfzrfgcum0eqbvyv__large.jpg

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Old news but really...I don't care at all. I've no problems with the sailing in WWSD, so I can't say fast sailing is anything like a "treat" to me. Furthermore, this is, like, the only worthwhile improvement that they've done with TWWHD bar the streamlining of the Triforce Quest. This isn't worth my money, sorry, I already have TWW. :I

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
I'd like to know exactly when it becomes available...hope fully before that long, dull sail from Windfall to Outset when the sea is cursed. They better not make it a "Horse Call" item and make it available just before the end of the game.

But yeah, big improvement. Changing the wind is annoying.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If you don't care don't post.

The OP told me to let him know if this was wonderful news. I did. Hush your gums and alongside that same of thought, try to ignore posts that aren't "hnng i love this game!". We have opinions. We're on a message board. It's only natural you'll get some "yeah" and some "ehh".

That "wind-changing" scene & chime is one of the most iconic things about the game (not the mechanic, just that magic moment where Link sees the wind change direction), so I don't foresee that I'll be overjoyed by the change when playing. I'll probably use it toward the end, since it's just such an excellent way to remedy the tediousness, but I'm actually quite fond of the animation.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That "wind-changing" scene & chime is one of the most iconic things about the game (not the mechanic, just that magic moment where Link sees the wind change direction), so I don't foresee that I'll be overjoyed by the change when playing.

It's still in the game for those who want (most of) the original experience...but you already indicated that you know that. ^^

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
That "wind-changing" scene & chime is one of the most iconic things about the game (not the mechanic, just that magic moment where Link sees the wind change direction), so I don't foresee that I'll be overjoyed by the change when playing. I'll probably use it toward the end, since it's just such an excellent way to remedy the tediousness, but I'm actually quite fond of the animation.

An animation is not worth it to have to tediously play/conduct a song IN RHYTHM, not at your own pace, and select a direction, especially in an overworld that is already the equivalent of a long loading screen.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Don't know why you'd stick with slower sailing and tedious wind control, though. But, hey, if you want to intentionally screw yourself over, by all means, go ahead. (Not talking to you, Vant. :P)

Well it's only a good hour or so lost to doing nothing (at a player's prime, I think) . It's definitely tedious and obviously slower, but all that down time can be spent doing other things - maybe sewing, or reading a book...hell even planning tomorrow's lesson for your kids! xD

This is excellent news! Now I'm much more excited to buy and play this version. When WWHD was announced, I was disappointed and wasn't sure if I would buy a Wii U for WWHD, but now I'm much more excited because of all the changes they've made to make the game less tedious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom