• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U The Wind Waker HD's Swift Sail Removes Wind-Based Travel

MW7

I... couldn't disagree more. OoT 3D not only improved the visuals, but kept the same art style, added in a boss gauntlet mode, and included a beefed up version of the very-hard-to-get Master Quest.

I guess it's just that I'm looking at it in terms of annoyances fixed. OoT 3D did have more significant content added than it looks WW HD will have. Also for me personally the additions to OoT 3D weren't too special because I already had beaten Master Quest, and I liked few of OoT's bosses in the first place. As far as normal gameplay OoT 3D improved one thing that was subpar (boot and other item selection) while in WW HD the game designers seem to be liberally changing game mechanics. In other words I was hoping OoT 3D would have been more of an experiment. I can see why OoT 3D is looking favorable to you over WW HD though. I think I just am downplaying the importance of Master Quest because it wasn't really new. Also graphics don't mean much to me, but I do feel like WW was the worst game to attempt to upgrade visually because it was beautiful in the first place. I can barely notice that the graphics are different (I mean in terms of style as well as quality), and I did see a demo in person so it's not just that I'm judging by screenshots. So in terms of graphics the difference between OoT and OoT 3D seems much more salient than the graphical difference between WW and WW HD in my eyes.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Also graphics don't mean much to me, but I do feel like WW was the worst game to attempt to upgrade visually because it was beautiful in the first place.

It's not about the graphics, it's about how important the cel-shaded art style was/is to The Wind Waker. It's part of the game's identity, part of what makes it feel like a living cartoon. Miyamoto even said in an interview with Nintendo Power that was one of their goals, so that's not just me making **** up. (It might have been Aonuma, I'm not sure, but it was said.) The Wind Waker HD abandoning the cel-shaded style for plastic shading with a blinding bloom effect that somewhat washes out the colors is not only a severe downgrade, but it takes away part of what made the original game what it was.

I can barely notice that the graphics are different (I mean in terms of style as well as quality), and I did see a demo in person so it's not just that I'm judging by screenshots.

I don't see how viewing a demo in-person would be a determining factor in this. Games don't magically change art styles when transitioning from screenshots to live footage.

Just take a look at these comparison screenshots. I don't see how anyone could look at them and not see the drastic difference in textures and shading.

wind_waker_moblin_collage.png
wind_waker_sea_treasure_collage.png
tingle_tuner_bottle.png
For added measure, here's an image depicting the difference I'm talking about.

Toon-shader.jpg

Last edited:

MW7

I don't see how viewing a demo in-person would be a determining factor in this. Games don't magically change art styles when transitioning from screenshots to live footage.

Just take a look at these comparison screenshots. I don't see how anyone could look at them and not see the drastic difference in textures and shading.

wind_waker_moblin_collage.png
wind_waker_sea_treasure_collage.png
tingle_tuner_bottle.png
For added measure, here's an image depicting the difference I'm talking about.

Toon-shader.jpg

What I said was very misleading. I actually had never even seen comparison screenshots. I just had recently played through the game, and then also saw an in-person demo. So on that basis I could barely tell a difference. After looking at those screenshots and reading your explanation I now understand how the art style changed. I guess I hadn't been following the game's development very closely because now is the first time I even realized there was a change in styles. I do now see what you mean about the game's identity changing since the new style is less cartoony. My overall point on the graphics is still that I don't understand why Wind Waker of all the games was chosen because it of all games had the least to benefit from overhauling the graphics. This does make me think that Majora's Mask 3D is more likely to happen because I feel like that game would have made more sense to remake in terms of graphics, but Nintendo just didn't want to waste it on the Wii U (sorry for going off on a tangent).

[video=youtube;-QN2ZEfGepg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QN2ZEfGepg[/video]

Cel-shading. Cel-shading everywhere.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
It looks great to me. JJ just likes complaining about improvements in a game that he never liked to begin with. He's even said that giving the feel of cel shading isn't good enough. It has to be 2002 graphics to be worth playing of course.

i have a great feeling that if this forum didn't have those 'clean' rules,you and jj would just go ON each other

ILU

i luv u
I'm glad this change is optional. Personally, I feel like changing the wind was a definite part of the gameplay, however tedious it was. I will definitely use the new addition, but I hope that TWW first-timers will try out the old style so they can get a better understanding of how much more detail and interaction there was with the world in comparison to games before TWW.

That said, I'm glad Nintendo has acknowledged the game's faults and are doing what they can to fix it without totally disrupting the flow of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom