• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Wii 2 Will Surprise People

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has told investors that the successor to the Nintendo Wii is currently in the works and will inevitably surprise consumers once it’s announced.

Satoru Iwata also mentioned that the company has kept completely silent on the project due to the natural fear of its competitors stealing the unique ideas behind the forthcoming console.

“We are of course studying and developing the next console to Wii. However, there is a big difference between studying a product and announcing what it is and when we will release it,” added Iwata. “I am afraid to say that the history of entertainment is also the history of imitation. A great idea will promptly be copied unless protected through patents.”

“At the same time, it is really important for our business to positively surprise people. Will you be surprised by our completed product if we told you how it is surprising three years in advance? Therefore, we basically disclose information on our products as late as possible. We believe this is the best approach for the entertainment products we are developing. Again, we are planning the next products for Nintendo’s continuous growth, but we cannot tell you what, when and how we will release it here. Thank you for your understanding.”

- Nintendo president, Satoru Iwata

Source: http://mynintendonews.com/2010/08/03/nintendo-wii-the-wii-2-will-surprise-people-says-nintendo-president/

What do you think? Fake or plausible?

jugglaj91

I am me....
The way I see it, the Wii will only have 1 way to go and that is to improve graphical quality and include HD, and maybe a hard drive. With the PS Move and Kinect making an appearance it means motion controls are here to stay. I don't see Nintendo changing much else in the near future. I would give it at least 3 more years before I would take anything like that serious. The Wii is only going to be 4 years old. Seems like they are more happy with the Wii than the DS, as the DS has had 5 versions once the 3DS is out. Sure the PSP has had a few revamps but nothing done like it has with the DS. The Wii has not changed at all aside from adding a few more capabilities through firmware. The PS3 has been revamped a few times to be slimmer and sleeker, and the 360 just got a makeover. I know the article says a few years which to me says they are still brainstorming what to do and have no idea what to do with it yet.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Like jugglaj91 has said, I don't think that Nintendo can sufficiently increase the quality of the current Nintendo Wii to a standard that is somewhat different to the Wii. The changes made have to be beneficial or there will be no point in releasing a new console.

I also think that the Nintendo Wii is currently very successful and the Motion Plus, Wii Balance Board and various additions to the Wii remote HAVE been useful and effective as well as more fun and new technology. I honestly don't see how Nintendo will put across to people how the console is new.

I myself have had my Nintendo Wii for some time and I have not once got bored with it. I think if Nintendo do manage to pull of an entirely new console that they should wait until the Nintendo Wii gets old first.

However, it is interesting that they are keeping the development of the "Wii 2" a secret. But, furthermore, I conclude that this information (I believe) is true.

MOTLEYlink

...No your other left
The next Nintendo console will be the sucessor to the Wii of course it will be a step up from the Wii also. Improved Graphics are a given, even though they are not a must in my book. You can expect to see a better online service for multiplayer gameplay, and maby a bigger hard drive (although saving your progress on the Wii dosen't take much space at all.) :)

As for the validity of the article, I don't see why it wouldn't be valid. Anyway no information was disclosed, we didn't learn anything about the next console it just states what we already assumed. However It does kind of say "your getting warm" dosen't it? :)

Kybyrian

It's certainly plausible. I don't have a doubt that Nintendo could come up with something completely different for a new console. "The history of entertainment is also the history of imitation" indeed. I don't blame them for not telling everybody what they're doing... everybody knows that Microsoft and Sony will just whip up something really quick to release before the successor of the Wii.

It's certainly plausible. I don't have a doubt that Nintendo could come up with something completely different for a new console. "The history of entertainment is also the history of imitation" indeed. I don't blame them for not telling everybody what they're doing... everybody knows that Microsoft and Sony will just whip up something really quick to release before the successor of the Wii.

Basically what Kybyrian said, you can clearly see that Microsoft and Sony have attempted to copy Nintendo's current hardware, then improve on it. It's most likely because at one point the Wii by itself was outselling Microsoft 2 to 1, along with the DS Nintendo was outselling Microsoft 4-1, to I'm surprised Microsoft haven't made a touch screen console yet. I'm not really surprised that Nintendo don't want to release any infomation on their new console, as Microsoft and Sony would most likely do the same thing again, and try and release the technology first.

Last edited:

Beeker

Wild Card
I find this interesting. It could be quite plausible, and I think MotleyLink is right about the 'stating what we already know'. Obviously they aren't going to say much about it. They want to surprise everyone with something new, instead of what everyone else is doing. Just like what they did with the Wii, and look where they are. Since the Wii came out, it's been a top selling console. It's been a huge sucess for them.They simply choose to innovate.

I don't want to see small upgrades to a Wii instead of something new, like they did with the DSi XL. It was just a DSi with a bigger size/screen. I really don't mind whether a console has HD or not. While I do want to see stuff like better online, improved graphics, and bigger memory on a console, I don't want to see it on a Wii, but a new console altogether. And I'm willing to wait. I've had my Wii for at least three and a half years,it still works great, and I still play it on a regular basis. I'd rather wait another year or two for something brand new rather than get some unecessary fix to the current console.

Kazumi

chagy
I believe it to be true, and I have no doubt that Nintendo will develop an extraordinary new product that has never been seen before in video gaming. Who knows what it will be? It will be interesting to find out.

However, I do believe that Nintendo really needs to step it up in other areas. Currently they have been catering to a more "traditional" gamer with games such as Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Ocarina of Time 3DS, Starfox 64 3DS, among others. I really hope this mindset transfers over into the next generation and their next console.

Because I for one will not be buying an outdated and underpowered console with 500MB of flash memory and petty online capabilities. I don't care if it lets me fly to the moon, if it can't run the Source Engine, which my six year old non-gaming PC can run fine, then I'm not buying it. I won't to actually be able to play games. I mean sure, the 1st party Nintendo games are great, but there are only so many of them. 3rd parties aren't willing to develop for the Wii for a few reasons. It's underpowered, doesn't have a standard controller, and it doesn't have very good internet capabilities.

If it weren't for the fact that I hacked my Wii, I would have ditched it a long time ago. It's just not worth it for just the 1st party Nintendo games and a handful of 3rd party games that don't get lost in the storm (Monster Hunter Tri, Tatsunoko VS Capcom, to name a couple). Now I mostly turn to my PC for gaming.

Now, it may sound like I am flaming or do not like the Wii, but that is not true. I definitely love my Wii, and in the end I'm glad I didn't get rid of it. The reason why? It has an experience you just can't find anywhere else. Now, I know about Kinect and Move, but I don't think they are really going to simulate it as well as the Wii. The reason for this? Nintendo truly knows how to innovate in not just their hard ware, but their games as well. And this is what makes the Wii worth it. Kind of.

I have but a few simple requests. Greatly enhanced power (to match the consoles of Microsoft and Sony in the next generation), a larger hard drive ( At least 120G:cool:, and better online. Now, it may sound like a lot, but it's not really. Enhanced power is a given. I just want them to ensure that their console is just as powerful as that of Microsoft and Sony. A larger hard drive is simple, just add a larger hard drive. And improved online is also quite simple. Just look at what Sony and Microsoft are doing. Their online systems, Xbox Live and Playstation Network are both highly successful and feature packed. You have profiles, tons of downloadable content including past games, game addons, and indie games. And a large amount of their games feature very robust multiplayer modes that can be very fun.

Now, things they should not do. They should not make their console just rely on multiplayer. Very few games these days to not have a multiplayer mode, and all of the others are very cookie-cutter in design. They are all the same, run around and kill the other guy. Maybe capture a flag or two. Now this is where Nintendo's vast and seemingly endless pool of innovation comes in. They could do something, I don't know what, to really make each multiplayer outing fun and freshing, a total blast to play. Different for each game. Now that is where they could shine.

They should also most definitely carry over the Virtual Console library and continue onwards with it, and really flesh it out. Why not add Gamecube games into the fray? They are at most 1.5GB unshrunk, and would be very easy to do. They could even go the Sony route and have your games playable on both your Wii 2 and your 3DS (if the 3DS has a virtual console that is, which it better). If they play their cards right everything on that front could be very, very awesome. And they need to add Gameboy.

Now for some speculation. The Wii 2/Wii HD or whatever, will be announced next year, MAYBE the year after at E3. It will have Pikmin 3 in HD as it's launch title, as it's an interesting game that both traditional, and more casual gamers could enjoy. And Miyamoto has said before that he thinks that Pikmin 3 would look way better in HD. And he does keep pushing it off. Many including me were thinking that an announcement of this game was a given at last E3. Didn't show up.

One last issue is the price. Nintendo likes to price their products competitively. The Wii was very cheap at launch, and the PS3 was very expensive. The PS3 took forever to take off, and now that it's got a great library of games and a reasonable price, it's making loads of cash. I'm sure Nintendo will once again want to price the Wii 2 cheap, and that means less things going into it. Which is the main nail in the coffin of my brilliant plan. If they want to price it low, it has to have less stuff. And since cutting down on innovation is out of the question, they will cut down on power. Though I am hopeful. I'm not really sure why. I know that I for one will still buy it, even if it costs me a good chunk of money.

Now, if you cared to read that whole post, you will see that my relationship with the Wii is a love-hate one. I love it's innovation and pure fun, but I hate it's lack of power and online. If they could just put innovation and power together, I don't care how much it would cost me (unless of course it costs me to much), but to me it would be the ultimate console experience. Till next generation. Maybe. Unless Sony and Microsoft do something better.

I really hope that you read to whole thing to understand what I'm trying to say before you give me negative rep.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I think Nintendo is beginning to listen to their fans, and I think they will develop a more powerful console for the hardcore audience. They have already attracted nearly the entirety of all casual gamers in this past generation, much to the dismay of Sony and Microsoft, who are now trying to cater to a demographic that's already spent their money elsewhere. It's very unlikely that casual gamers are going to pay upwards of $200 in peripherals and at least another $250 for a second system to jump on the Sony or Microsoft bandwagons, which I think ultimately foreshadows that both Playstation Move and Kinect are not going to be very successful.

However, while Nintendo has gotten the casual demographic in a stranglehold in the past generation, they had risked losing their loyal, hardcore fans because of a lack of strong third party developers to develop games exclusively for Nintendo. This is often the primary criticism of the Wii and Nintendo nowadays, that Nintendo has "abandoned" their hardcore audience. To a certain extent, that is true. Microsoft and Sony both boast more powerful consoles which are pulling developers away from Nintendo. Not to mention that Microsoft, being the giant corporation that it is, can simply buy out developers left and right to try and weaken Nintendo, as they did with Rare, which was, in my opinion, the most consistent third party developer on the market for a very long time. Now the hardcore Nintendo fans are feeling abandoned; but that's not to say that Nintendo isn't thinking of how to rectify this issue.

Let's look on the positive side, now. As I said earlier, Nintendo has already dominated the casual market, and I suspect that holding onto it won't require as much of an investment as attracting it in the first place. While Microsoft and Sony have catered effectively to their hardcore fans, they are now switching gears to cater to the casual crowd with their new motion control systems. However, I think the same situation that befell Nintendo will befall them -- the hardcore audience is going to feel neglected. What's better is, I feel that Nintendo is ahead of the curve, and the 3DS has wowed and caught the eye of both hardcore and casual gamers. I really feel that it's going to be as big as the PS2 was for Sony, and the release of the 3DS is going to be pivotal in determining who will dominate the next generation of consoles. Both Microsoft and Sony have played their best hands to target the casual audience with Kinect and Move respectively, which are both being released from September until the end of the year, which includes the holiday season. If Nintendo releases the 3DS at roughly the same time as the Kinect and Move, it will literally establish hegemony over the next generation of consoles, because the 3DS will draw attention away from Microsoft and Sony who have both gone all in on Kinect and Move. If Kinect and Move aren't big successes at launch, then they probably won't get a slice of the casual demographic. The Wii's release, being the first console to sport motion control, was crucial to snagging the casual audience before its competitors, which resulted in astronomical success.

If Nintendo can effectively outshine the launches of Move and Kinect with the launch of the 3DS, they will have successfully eliminated the chances that they would lose dominance in the casual market. This means that they will have extra time and resources to finally address their hardcore audience once again, while still maintaining control over the casual audience. If Nintendo can pull off such a brilliant release campaign with the 3DS to counter the threat of Kinect and Move, then both Microsoft and Sony will have to spend time catching up to Nintendo, which will result in them spending more time and money targeting the casual audience, which will upset Microsoft and Sony's hardcore gaming audience, resulting in them looking for hardcore gaming elsewhere, much like the hardcore Nintendo fan base did after the shortage of hardcore titles.

In conclusion, if Nintendo can outshine Kinect and Move with the 3DS, they will maintain control of the casual audience, allowing them to focus on a more powerful system, which will ultimately attract more developers and even maybe outraged Microsoft and Sony fans. If Nintendo can get over this hurdle, I think that Nintendo will finally be able to win over the hardcore audience with a more powerful and diverse console.

RamboZelda

bullets of pure awesome
I can't wait to see what Nintendo has in store for us. If they can do something revolutionary for the DS, like adding 3D to it, then I don't see why they can't do something revolutionary for the Wii. I just hope they don't call it Wii 2 or anything along those lines. Sounds so Sony-ish. Besides, Nintendo only said "the next console to Wii." They never really said it was going to be another Wii.

jugglaj91

I am me....
Now, things they should not do. They should not make their console just rely on multiplayer. Very few games these days to not have a multiplayer mode, and all of the others are very cookie-cutter in design. They are all the same, run around and kill the other guy. Maybe capture a flag or two. Now this is where Nintendo's vast and seemingly endless pool of innovation comes in. They could do something, I don't know what, to really make each multiplayer outing fun and freshing, a total blast to play. Different for each game. Now that is where they could shine.

They should also most definitely carry over the Virtual Console library and continue onwards with it, and really flesh it out. Why not add Gamecube games into the fray? They are at most 1.5GB unshrunk, and would be very easy to do. They could even go the Sony route and have your games playable on both your Wii 2 and your 3DS (if the 3DS has a virtual console that is, which it better). If they play their cards right everything on that front could be very, very awesome. And they need to add Gameboy.

I agree about multiplayer. Too many games doing the same thing with lack of originality. Which is what drove me to buy Blur. Sure it is a racing game similar to Mario Kart but it isn't as random and I enjoyed that. IF anyone can figure out a fun multiplayer experience it will be Nintendo I am sure. But a lot of multiplayer is on the developer, not always on the console.

Onto Virtual Console, I think it needs to stay, and has no reason to go anywhere. With Sony and Microsoft selling there old games and new ones Nintendo has no choice but to follow suit if they wish to remain competitive. I do want a Gameboy VC but it will have to exclude some multiplayer games as it would require making it over again to compensate for wireless connectivity, IE Pokemon and Four Swords.

About putting GCN games onto VC, I do see that happening as well, but not until the next console since the Wii plays the discs. Sure some games are harder to find now, but that's the price of trading them in for the next best thing.

On a note about first party and third party games, Nintendo always makes excellent games for their consoles. Most third party games I have noticed for the GCN and Wii aren't all that great or even worth it, especially for the Wii. So many party spin off games with terrible controls are way too common for Wii and I see it becoming problematic with the PS Move and Kinect soon as well. Aside from third party developers who have a good name such as Capcom, Bethesda, and Activision, most are trash and trying to cash in and move on quickly before anyone notices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom