• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The White Sword (?)

Shikenshu

Hero of CEGEP
Yeah, wassup people!

I don't know if this is viable and Mods, close this thread if it's not worth to be around.

In LoZ, TMC and SS, there is a sword named the white sword. In LoZ, it's a normal sword, but in TMC and SS, it's a weaker form of the strongest blade (Four sword and Master Sword). Also, in those 2 games, it's the name of the blade after being reforge with 2 elements (fire in SS).

Is this only a coincidence/allusion or a "key" in game placing?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I believe the white sword is the Master Sword. Of course, The Legend of Zelda being the very first game it wasn't called that. Things evolve. I wouldn't say the original Zelda has a placement in the timeline since again it was the first of it's kind and it was just another game. The timeline came after and it got so popular that Nintendo just went with it. Therefore it would be really hard to say where it goes in the timeline, unless Nintendo makes a game that can connect to the original and another one to elaborate on it's placement.

Last edited:

Djinn

and Tonic
It is very hard to tell if the white sword was meant to be anything from another game when the term is used. It is such a generic term for an item, you would think just calling it sword, or lev.2 sword would be sufficient. But I highly doubt the white sword from the original LoZ was any form of the Four Sword. It was probably just called that as a nod to the second sword from LoZ being called the white sword. Much like how Link's first sword in TP was a wooden sword, it was a reference to the original.

Also it is hard to take any sword used in LoZ as something from another game since Nintendo has had multiple chances to rename a couple of the more generic named swords to something else in all the many re-releases. LoZ has been rereleased a number of times on the GBA, Gamecube, and the Virtual Console. Any of those times Nintendo could have changed the name of the magical sword to things like Master Sword, Four Sword, Picori, etc but they have not. Either for a sense of tradition or in the opinions of the localization team at Nintendo it might not be the same sword at all. It is still very ambiguous. The white sword is a very generic name as well. It's meaning could be very simple, just describing that it has a while blade, to possibly describing something more. It has become a typical name or description for a transitional mid level sword in a few games in the series. Even the transitional Goddess Sword in SS mentioned imbuing the blade with the white light that repels demons.

The flames of Din have imbued your
blade with a sacred white light that
demons revile.

I still like to think of the magical sword as a different item since that adds a little more flavor to the series to have a couple more interesting swords in the world of Hyrule, and it lacked the mysticism that revolves around the Master Sword. Even if the story behind it came later in the series the Master Sword was still a very important object that requires a lot of trouble and time just to be able to hold it. While the white or magical sword only requires that you meet the current owner's standards before he will give it to you.

S

SellUDekuNuts?

I still like to think of the magical sword as a different item since that adds a little more flavor to the series to have a couple more interesting swords in the world of Hyrule, and it lacked the mysticism that revolves around the Master Sword.

Has there been any reference to the Magical Sword in any other games than LoZ or AoL?, or has it made an appearance? I don't remember any, but I always thought the Magical Sword could actually BE the Master Sword under a different name (and with pretty much no backstory). If it isn't, you'd think it would make some sort of appearance in another game, since LoZ and AoL are the the back end of everyone's timline...

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Shikenshu said:
In LoZ, TMC and SS, there is a sword named the white sword. In LoZ, it's a normal sword, but in TMC and SS, it's a weaker form of the strongest blade (Four sword and Master Sword). Also, in those 2 games, it's the name of the blade after being reforge with 2 elements (fire in SS).
Well, it's exactly that, that it is one "back" from the Master Sword; it is a sword of recognizable prowess, but not inherently important. Considering most placements of LoZ/AoL, it's unlikely that it could be the Master Sword, since it has either been "laid to rest" after ALttP on the common CT placement, or left embedded in Ganondorf's head at the bottom of the ocean in most AT placements.
If Nintendo wanted to make it clear that the White Sword was a significant item, they would have put some sort of lore around it, as they have with the Four Sword and the Master Sword. The fact that they haven't suggests that it's just a common upgrade throughout many games.
It's certainly not as indicative of a game's placement as something like the status of Ganon or the Triforce, which have enormous impact on the state of Hyrule.

G

gAmer_Matt

I don't know if it's a key in "game placing" but maybe it's just that the "white sword" is just an average sword, a blank slate if you will, and forging it with the right properties makes it a powerful one. You could just say that this white sword itself doesn't matter, but what it turns into, after gathering special properties. But that's just a theory, I don't really have any supporting evidence, it's just a possibility.

Sounds to me that the White Sword in the more present games is just a respectful nod and reference to the older ones.

H

Haruhi Suzumiya

I think that now after LoZ, Nintendo just decided to bring back the white sword, but with bigger ideas.

Kombatgod

Timeline Exegete
I strongly believe the White Sword to be nothing more than a middle level sword. You missed two games it's in: the Oracle games. (Called Noble Sword internationally though). In those games, depending on getting the passwords first, or completing the trading sequence first, it can either be the Master Sword that has to be upgraded, or can be itself an upgrade to the Wooden Sword, with the Master Sword found somewhere else. So, since it has been three apparently unrelated swords (Picori/Four; Skyward/Master and Wooden), I'd say it's nothing more than a gameplay element.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom