• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild The Voice Acting

Like what you have heard

• Yes

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Don't forget about the deku tree, he has the thing where he's like: "I can see that you have no recollection of who I am, but it seems that you are ready to know what happened 100 years ago." Remember?

Anyways, as long as Link doesn't have a voice I'm fine.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Don't forget about the deku tree, he has the thing where he's like: "I can see that you have no recollection of who I am, but it seems that you are ready to know what happened 100 years ago." Remember?
Those are two different voices. You're right about the Deku Tree saying that first line, but it was someone else who talked about remembering what happened 100 years ago.

Tompatuk

Living the dream
I loved what we hear at the start of the game (if it is the start...) but unsure as to the rest. It's difficult to know until you hear it in context.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I was always open to voice acting in Zelda because I knew it was inevitable. Even all of ninty's stubbornness couldn't hold off voice acting for long.

And I like the sound of it. Nice to hear Zelda's voice and whoever it is she's a good choice. This can really breath some serious life into her character.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
I was a little worried we'd end up with something like Gex, Super Mario Sunshine or the PS1 version of Rayman 2, but this VA sounds fantastic tbh.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I think we were all worried that they wouldn't find the right voice when the inevitable voice acting came to the series. I mean, Zelda, in particular, has been such an important character over the years that finding the right person to do her voice, I think, was going to be a really hard job.

I wasn't against voice acting because I'm against voice acting. I was simply worried that they wouldn't find the right voice for Zelda. I really couldn't care less about the other characters, but Zelda had to be done right. And from what we've heard, I think they did a really good job with her voice. I'm pleased.

I think voice acting is a great addition to the game, but I'm SO MAD that of all the characters in the game, the one with the worst voice is the most important. I can't believe that they let Zelda's English voice be... like that. Every other character's English voice sounds just fine (not fantastic or anything, but okay) but Zelda's is just bad and here's what I think went wrong:
  1. Zelda's voice actor does not have a natural British accent. We don't know who her VA is yet but it's just obvious. It's very forced. Also, it seems Zelda's voice actor was not trained to speak with a British accent. It sounds like her VA is trying too hard and it's not working.
  2. Zelda's voice actor has a lower voice than Nintendo wants, so she's forcing a higher voice, making it sound breathy and awkward.
I'm extremely disappointed with Zelda's voice honestly. These are the kind of careless casting mistakes that are made in the English dub of animes...

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The VA sounds like absolute garbage but....it's not a deal breaker or something.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I personally think that the voice acting we heard in the trailer is great and if it is anything to go by I am excited to see it throughout the game. Like others in this thread I hope for the option of using Japanese voice with subtitles. I'm currently doing this with Final Fantasy XV, it's a very nice option to have.
I voted no, because I am under the assumption that we cannot do japanese voices. If we can, then I will enjoy the voice acting. But Zelda's VA thusfar has sounded quite **** and emotionless in the English verison.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I voted no, because I am under the assumption that we cannot do japanese voices. If we can, then I will enjoy the voice acting. But Zelda's VA thusfar has sounded quite **** and emotionless in the English verison.

I'm not a big anime guy, so maybe I'm missing the appeal here, but why Japanese voice acting?

Without being able to understand a language, it's impossible to pick up the inflections and subtleties that help us determine whether or not acting is good (unless you're watching Dragon Ball Super, in which case it's very easy to hear how silly the Japanese voices are). It always seems easy for those American anime fans to say the Japanese voice acting is better just because they don't understand it.

Jamie

I'm not a big anime guy, so maybe I'm missing the appeal here, but why Japanese voice acting?

Without being able to understand a language, it's impossible to pick up the inflections and subtleties that help us determine whether or not acting is good (unless you're watching Dragon Ball Super, in which case it's very easy to hear how silly the Japanese voices are). It always seems easy for those American anime fans to say the Japanese voice acting is better just because they don't understand it.
This isn't true. Perhaps it is because you haven't watched much but I have no issue telling if a Japanese VA is good or not and there are some that I do not like. I enjoyed the sound of Zelda's voice in the Japanese trailer and clearly I'm not the only one here, there are many others including Jimmy who literally knows Japanese.

Typically, the original voice actors are better than the dubbed ones, including Japanese dubs of originally English products. Tons of reasons like the developers vision to how professional the actors and actresses are go into it. For example the anime voice acting industry is much bigger and more competitive in Japan than here and I'd say it's the same for Japanese-made games.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
This isn't true. Perhaps it is because you haven't watched much but I have no issue telling if a Japanese VA is good or not and there are some that I do not like. I enjoyed the sound of Zelda's voice in the Japanese trailer and clearly I'm not the only one here, there are many others including Jimmy who literally knows Japanese.

Typically, the original voice actors are better than the dubbed ones, including Japanese dubs of originally English products. Tons of reasons like the developers vision to how professional the actors and actresses are go into it. For example the anime voice acting industry is much bigger and more competitive in Japan than here and I'd say it's the same for Japanese-made games.

But you really don't.

If you don't speak a language, you're not going to be able to pick up on the nuances of dialogue. You can tell whether someone is being serious, speaking using a deep, throaty, or Goku-y voice, but you don't know the language. If you don't know the language, you're not going to know which parts should be emphasized in a sentence, or just whether or not someone sounds natural.

Jamie

But you really don't.

If you don't speak a language, you're not going to be able to pick up on the nuances of dialogue. You can tell whether someone is being serious, speaking using a deep, throaty, or Goku-y voice, but you don't know the language. If you don't know the language, you're not going to know which parts should be emphasized in a sentence, or just whether or not someone sounds natural.
What does this even mean?

If a sentence said by a Japanese voice actor in Japanese sounds better to my ears than the same sentence said by an American voice actor in English, then the Japanese VA is better than the English one to me. Any other metric is pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom