• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U The Triforce Quest is Way More Open-ended Than People Give It Credit

MW7

I thought now would be a good time to talk about this since Wind Waker HD is coming soon. Everyone knows that you can obtain the triforce charts and their respective shards in any order. The numbering is more arbitrary than the numbering of dungeons in the original LoZ after which the quest is modeled. What I don't think many people know is that a player can obtain several of the charts and shards much earlier in the game than is typically thought. Every guide to the game I've ever seen has a player do the entire Triforce Quest in one chunk after the Wind Temple. Having to do the quest in one large chunk isn't much fun and is repetitive, but actually I think people just assumed that you have to do it like this. In reality you can start the quest after the Forbidden Woods and complete it before restoring power to the Master Sword. The only thing stopping you from starting the quest earlier is the fact that the King of Red Lions doesn't let you sail freely until you have completed the Forbidden Woods. Also you need a larger wallet to pay Tingle, but the wallet upgrade on Northern Fairy Island doesn't require any items to obtain so a player can reach it once the Forbidden Woods is complete as well. I'll go through every chart and explain how early a player can get them. I'll say what items are required but ignore any items that a player would have already obtained by the completion of the Forbidden Woods.

Triforce Chart 1- Islet of Steel
Earliest obtainable: As soon as the Forbidden Woods is compete
Items required: None
Explanation: There is a boat blocking the entrance which has to be bombed before you can find the chart inside. However the other enemy boats will happily destroy the one blocking you with friendly fire if you just hang out near the boat. It's easiest to just get out of the King of Red Lions and swim near the boat you need destroyed. You could also just wait a little bit later in the game until you get your own bombs, but friendly fire works very quickly in this instance.

Triforce Chart 2- Private Oasis
Earliest obtainable: As soon as you can return to the Forsaken Fortress
Items required: Skull Hammer
Explanation: You can get the Cabana Deed after the Forbidden Woods, but you can't proceed through the basement of the cabana until you have the Skull Hammer. The second you get the Skull Hammer you are equipped to get this chart and shard.

Triforce Chart 3- Bird's Peak Rock
Earliest obtainable: As soon as the Forbidden Woods is complete
Items required: Hyoi Pear
Explanation: Most people shoot all of the Kargoroks before activating the crystals with a seagull, but you can just try to avoid them. I needed 3 Hyoi Pears to do this since I got hit a few times, but it will vary person to person.

Triforce Chart 4- Ghost Ship
Earliest obtainable: As soon as you get the Hookshot
Items required: Hookshot
Explanation: You need the hookshot to reach the ghost ship chart on diamond steppe island, and you can't board the ghost ship until you have this chart. You can leave the Wind Temple after getting the hookshot to get this chart so technically you can get this shard before restoring power to the Master Sword.

Triforce Chart 5- Needle Rock Isle
Earliest obtainable: As soon as the Forbidden Woods is complete
Items required: None
Explanation: Like Triforce Chart 1 you can use friendly fire to ship the golden ship that holds this chart. However this one actually takes some time to do (a few minutes) so you might just want to wait to get your own bombs.

Triforce Chart 6- Outset Island
Earliest obtainable: Once you beat the return to the Forsaken Fortress
Items required: Power Bracelets
Explanation: You need the Power Bracelets to open up the Savage Labyrinth which is where this chart is located. You can't get the Power Bracelets until the Fairy Queen gives you the Fire and Ice Arrows, but she won't give them to you until you have beaten the return to the Forsaken Fortress (I might be wrong here; it might be earlier once you get the Master Sword. I do remember the Fairy Queen refuses to give you the arrows if you warp to her island earlier than getting the Master Sword).

Triforce Chart 7- Stone Watcher Island
Earliest obtainable: Once you beat the return to the Forsaken Fortress
Items required: Power Bracelets
Explanation: You need the Power Bracelets to open up the area where this chart is located. Like above I'm fairly sure this means you can't get this chart until after the return to the Forsaken Fortress.

Triforce Chart 8- Overlook Island
Earliest obtainable:As soon as you get the Hookshot
Items required: Hookshot
Explanation: You need the hookshot to reach the cave where this chart is located. You can leave the Wind Temple after getting the hookshot to get this chart so technically you can get this shard before restoring power to the Master Sword.

So in summary you can get 3 shards as soon as you finish the Forbidden Woods, 1 as soon as you get the Skull Hammer, 2 as soon as you finish the return to the Forsaken Fortress, and 2 as soon as you get the hookshot. Spreading out this quest makes it much more enjoyable imo. It spreads out the activities of the quest which makes it seem less repetitive. Also I just like starting up a save file which has 3 Triforce Shards without Nayru's Pearl yet. So my question is- doesn't spreading this quest out make it not as bad as everyone always says?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You know, I really didn't know that you could "begin" the TQuest that early. I always had the next dungeon on my mind (and Greatfish Isle for that constant night ;)), but this news really makes Wind Waker HD sound more appealing to me. The reason is, despite the game being a prettier, slightly stripped version of TWW, I might be able to find quicker ways to complete the game. Or, if it isn't quicker, it's just more appealing because - as you said - doing the quest all in one chunk is repetitive and frankly nerve wracking. ;)

Thanks for the tips! I'm saving all of this in MSWord :)

I never knew that. This just makes me more excited for WWHD, since now I can try to get a head start on the Triforce quest.

Also, am I the only one who didn't mind doing it all in one chunk?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
, am I the only one who didn't mind doing it all in one chunk?

I never knew it could be done any other way to be honest, and I just didn't mind it. I mean, it WAS God-awful in its length - in retrospect it felt like running across TP's hyrule field on foot - but the adventure was also engrossing so...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The Triforce Quest IS Open-Ended...but that's just part of the problem.

So you're saying that having to explore for the charts is bad? Okay, let's run with tat idea. Instead of explore, pull up a guide on the Internet. No can do? Chances are you have a Walmart or something near by, so when TWWHD releases, just gleam through the guide or better yet purchase it! I guarantee the guide will have completed steps for the TQuest :)

there are so many workarounds to these "annoying" things it's not even funny! D:

DarkLink17

Well then
I also thought you HAD to do it all in one big congregation. To make it a little more bearable, I decided to do some sidequests and trading sequences and whatnot. This helped a ton with the redundancy and dullness of the Triforce Chart quest.

Although, unless you had MW7's guide, you wouldn't know what charts are available to fetch at certain times (on your first playthrough). So if you wait to get them all at once, you don't have to worry about having the right items for the job.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Well the main reason people seem to enjoy this concept is the fact that you don't have to do it all at once...but why not? To me, that's like saying "Eh...I don't wanna go shopping, so I'll by 1/7 of my groceries, wait an hour, go back and by another 1/7 of my list until it's all done". It feels like a bigger pain in the *** to be honest.

Salem

SICK
Well the main reason people seem to enjoy this concept is the fact that you don't have to do it all at once...but why not? To me, that's like saying "Eh...I don't wanna go shopping, so I'll by 1/7 of my groceries, wait an hour, go back and by another 1/7 of my list until it's all done". It feels like a bigger pain in the *** to be honest.
I think a better comparison is a long school/college report. Doing it all in one go non-stop wears you down, doing some, leaving and getting refreshed and then continuing the project.

MW7

The Triforce Quest IS Open-Ended...but that's just part of the problem.

I honestly think it would have been my favorite part of the game if the Triforce Shards were simply where the charts were. In other words just eliminate paying Tingle and pulling the chests up from the sea floor to rid it of the repetitive parts. That's what I saw as bogging the quest down. It being open-ended made sense because the order you did it in was totally inconsequential so you could just grab them when it was convenient. Plus with Tingle's IN-credible Chart you knew where they were so you could grab them if you happened to be in the neighborhood. I thought it was a well-thought out quest with just way too much repetition of seeing Tingle and sailing to get the shards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom