• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Toughest Game(s) You've Completed

Zelda 2 even after all your stats are maxed the dungeons still scale up.
alot of the mega man games have always been hard even when you know the boss weakness their attack patterns are still hard to figure out.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Instantly the top difficulties of the Devil May Cry games come to mind, they can be absolutely sadistic and are definitely the toughest games I've played. I never actually finished it, I got about 3/4 of the way through before stopping, but Hell or Hell mode from DMC4 was definitely the hardest thing I've played. You died in 1 attack so it demanded absolute perfection. Fights were pretty much all about dodging until you were positive you could attack and escape before getting hit. Very brutal but intense. I didn't finish it though so the hardest I've completed, I'm going with Dante Must Die on DMC1. Next worst thing!

I haven't really played many games that were particularly difficult to beat. I suppose the hardest would be Zelda 2, which, outside of Death Mountain and the path to the Great Palace, was not even that bad. I'd say the game is more of a test of patience than anything else. (I finished the game with 40-some Game Overs, meaning I had to trek back to where I was from the North Palace 40-some times. Not fun.)

I also had trouble with Super Mario Bros. 3. Even though I've played and beaten almost every game in the [core] Mario series, for some reason I was just really bad at that game. I don't even know if it's considered difficult, but it certainly was for me. And since I was playing it on Wii U VC, and there was no way I'd have the patience to complete it in one go, I cheated and made save states at the start of every world.

Castlevania comes to mind as well, but I haven't beaten that one yet. Stuck at the Grim Reaper. I'm cheating in this one also and making save states at the start of every level.

Oh, and Kid Icarus. Come to think of it, that might be the hardest game I've ever played. Haven't even finished the first level yet.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I rather like old school Nintendo Hard games.

Toughest ones I've finished out:

Zelda 2. I've actually beaten that one a few times. Unlike a lot of people on this forum, I honestly find that game fun.

Kid Icarus (the original). I bought it on the 3Ds Classics several months ago. With a lot of patience, I beat it. I've been trying to play it again and am wondering HOW I beat it. I can't seem to get past the first dungeon boss of the "Of Myths and Monsters" sequel yet, however.

I have vague memories of beating Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, and 3. I know I've beaten 2 on its own terms, but I think I used Warps and a Game Genie for the others, so they don't count.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
To complete or have completed? Make up your mind, geez. :lol: I'm kidding, as usual.

So anyway...if it is completed: I had a hard time completing WW. Getting those charts deciphered/decoded was a hassle and time consuming. I almost gave up on it because of that.

I've finished many other games, but this one for those mentioned reasons. Turok Seeds of Evil for the N64 was another one when I found out it was a hard, challenging game. Tough momma, really; the dungeons and bosses were hard if you didn't cheat. I beat my brothers in beating it first without cheats and won good money from them. :cool:

Ninja Gaiden, and any King of Fighters that featured Rugal as the boss. Oh and all of the classic 2D Super Mario games. I shudder at the thought of latter games.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I TOTALLY FORGOT ONE. ANY of the Etrian Odyssey games played on anything but the easiest difficulty becomes SADISTICALLY HARD. I beat Etrian Odyssey 4 on the hardest difficulty, and when I was through with that, I felt like the goddamn champion of everything. That was easily one of the toughest most hardest things I have ever done. Fire Emblem Awakening on Lunatic was pretty tough if you Play on Classic Mode.

Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels. That game was like on legendary difficult.
Ninja Gaiden. Never finished that game due to all the rage quitting I had done. I feel like that game was rigged with all the constant enemy spawns and the cheap knock back.
Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1. This game is difficult and is definitely not noob friendly, especially after being accustomed to all the games of this era where you're pretty much being guided throughout the entirety of an already easy game. Newer generations will never know what it means to play through the legendary "Nintendo Hard" games. The Souls series is a taste of what games were like - hidden traps, ambushes, tough enemies, crazy bosses, and no guidance. The game never tells you where you need to go or what you have to do. After a while though, you get used. It is all based on trial and error after all, and after much practice you get the combat down.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Gah, so many games I can't list because I haven't actually completed them, like Battletoads and Ghosts & Goblins.

Given that I've been playing the Devil May Cry games -- the GOOD ones, anyway (i.e. not DMC2 & DmC) -- I think it's quite natural that they first come to mind. Dante Must Die in DMC3 with Turbo Mode on has to be one of the most hellish (albeit rewarding) gaming experiences ever crafted, largely due to enemies having access to Devil Trigger (which I think is BS), and it's not that much easier with DMC4. And don't even get me started on the gimmicky Heaven or Hell and the masochistic Hell and Hell difficulty modes.

Zelda II is another one. I wouldn't have gotten through that game were it not for ZD's video guide thanks to stupid parts like Death Mountain & the Great Palace, where you don't even know where you're supposed to go on top of all the enemies piling on top of you. The only reason I'd say that it's the easiest of all the toughest games I've played through is because a lot of its difficulty comes through that kind of stuff as opposed to actual skill-based challenges (though there are plenty of those, as well), so once you know the way, all that's left is the obnoxious enemies. Can't say it wasn't fun to beat, though.

Of course, I can't leave out the Souls games. Those are old-school RPGs brought into modern day -- TOO old school, actually. They're fun, but goddamn it, are they absurdly cheap at times. I love when games aren't afraid to make the player step up in order to overcome what trials lay ahead of them, but I shouldn't die because of things I never could have possibly seen coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom