• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Timeline is Simple and Here It Is.

Please note, this really is my opinion and theory but it's really accurate you just have to look at how the games were released, look for common clues and how some of them are connected to each other.

So this is how it works. First came the LoZ and it's sequel AoL on the NES

LoZ/AoL

Next on the Super NES we had a confirmed prequel ALttP

ALttP--LoZ/AoL

Next we had LA on the Game Boy. Allot of people think it was the sequel to ALttP and one way to think that is both the logos on each game are the same so why not?

ALttP/LA--LoZ/AoL

Next we had OoT which was another obvious prequel and it's obvious sequel, MM on the N64.

OoT/MM--ALttP/LA--LoZ/AoL

Now let's jump to the TWW. It's been confirmed there was a split in OoT for both adult and child Link. TWW would take place after the adult Link's ending as the intro pretty much talks about adult Link's backstory and how he never returned due to being sent back to his childhood and we all know this anyhow. Also, we have it's obvious sequels PH and ST.

TWW/PH--ST
OoT
MM--ALttP/LA--LoZ/AoL

Next we'll do TP. This should be pretty obvious also as in one of the scenes it shows what happened to Ganondorf after the events of child Link's ending in OoT. Plus, it has been confirmed that TWW and TP do run parallel to each other on both timelines as both take place the same amount of years after OoT.

TWW/PH--ST
OoT
MM--TP--ALttP/LA--LoZ/AoL

Now it's getting a bit trickier but let's talk about MC and the FS games next. First, both games are part of the same story and they are a trilogy. But where do they go? Well if both games are a trilogy they're supposed to be connected to each other so let's take a look at the end of the trilogy FSA adventures. Ganon shows up and then is SEALED so this could be the imprisoning war mentioned in ALttP's backstory and I believe it is... for now anyways. But also please note, even though the SNES version of ALttP said seven wiseMEN and clearly they were not wisemen in FSA, the GBA version of ALttP said seven sages. Now you see where the clues come in ;) So that means these games or trilogy rather would go between TP and ALttP.

TWW/PH--ST
OoT
MM--TP--MC/FS--FSA--ALttP/LA--LoZ/AoL

Next we'll talk about the Oracle games. The game does start out with all 3 pieces of the Triforce being together and Link walks towards it. Also in ages or season whichever was played first twinrova tries to revive Ganon so obviously this game has to come after a Zelda game that would have ended with all 3 pieces of the Triforce together and also Ganon got killed in (not Ganondorf). Well that would be either LoZ/AoL or ALttP. Hmm... but wait! The game ends with Link setting sail off in a boat. Aha! In Link's Awakening the game starts out with Link a boat! A very similar one! So anyone with common sense would believe these games to take place between ALttP and LA.

We also can't forget SS which we all know is a prequel to OoT.

TWW/PH--ST
SS--OoT
MM--TP--MC/FS--FSA--ALttP/OoX/LA--LoZ/AoL

So now the timeline is complete! Another theory I have as well is this one

TWW/PH--ST--LoZ/AoL
SS--OoT
MM--TP--MC/FS--FSA--ALttP/OoX/LA

Pretty similar but with LoZ/AoL being on the adult timeline that would also work. It would make sense if Ganon dies in ALttP by the silver arrows he can die the same way on the adult timeline in LoZ. Also ALttP and LoZ could also be parallel to each other just like how TP and TWW are parallel to each other. I mean after all, Ganon dies the same way in LoZ and ALttP but also in TP and TWW Ganondorf dies pretty much the same way by getting stabbed with the Master Sword.

Either way you look at it, both those time lines can work and pretty much I think that's what it is or should be!

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
These two are the most accepted timelines, but both are still contradictory with the FSS. They have no official place right now and can't be accurately placed anywhere in any order. I realized this a few years ago back when I actually cared about the timeline. So, I really don't have anything else to say other than it's just a theory for now and is in no way the actual timeline. Nintendo themselves don't know the true timeline, yet. They're just playing it by ear as they make the games. Sure, they have a general idea with what they want to do, but they don't have everything set in stone. So, yeah, that's what I've got. (I could go into detail on things, but I've done that way too much in the past, so I don't feel like doing so now.)

Your placement of FS is flawed. First off, word of god says that it was the first game in the timeline upon release (MC obviously would change that fact). Also, Ganondorf being sealed means nothing. That was about the third time that happened. Why is that sealing the Sealing War? Also, the events of FSA are nothing like what was described in LttP. The backstory of LttP is that unknown evil powers came out of the sacred realm. The story of FSA is that Ganondorf was known to be sending people to the dark realm. They were nothing alike.

I had the same timeline, shown below. :) And I have better explanation now, but i'm saving it for a video. ;) I could tell you alot of what I think is evidence and all, but I will only tell you that Ganon and Ganondorf are the same being, Ganon's just a transformation. Its like saying Wolf Link is another being, he uses the ToP to transform. But....... Ganon dies in TP, there has to be a second Ganon! True but, think smart enough and it becomes obvious the " Blade of evils bane" merley banishes evil. I have much more, evidence then I believe I will ever have for any " TIMELINE". :D

Hey thanks for all your feedback! Keep em comin!

These two are the most accepted timelines, but both are still contradictory with the FSS. They have no official place right now and can't be accurately placed anywhere in any order.

I understand and your right but that's why we come up with theories on where we think they go. Like I said, they are a trilogy and IMO they should belong together not separated. So my placements of them make sense to place them between TP and ALttP, mainly because at the end of FSA Ganon shows up and is sealed then he comes back in ALttP.

Your placement of FS is flawed. First off, word of god says that it was the first game in the timeline upon release (MC obviously would change that fact).

Actually the "word of god" said they were thinking it to be the earliest tale (or one of) in the timeline, not that it was. I've seen or read no official placement of MC/FS in the timeline by Nintendo but if you have that, please by no means post a direct link to it. There is little in game or any other type of evidence to support this too however but allot of theorists say it's because it's where Link "gets the green cap". I can understand that but you would also have to place it now before SS because Link in that game has a green cap so I think the green cap theory doesn't apply anymore.

Also, Ganondorf being sealed means nothing. That was about the third time that happened.

Ganondorf was sealed TWICE in different timelines. Ganon ONCE in one timeline. Ganondorf was sealed at the end of OoT on the adult Link's timeline which leads to the events of TWW and he is back as Ganondorf. He is sealed sometime between the child Link's timeline and MM which leads to the events of TP and he is back as Ganondorf. Ganon is sealed at the end of FSA which I believe leads to the events of ALttP because he is back as Ganon, the same Ganon that was sealed in FSA because he has the trident. Simple logic.

Why is that sealing the Sealing War?

Ganon shows up and then is SEALED so this could be the imprisoning war mentioned in ALttP's backstory and I believe it is... for now anyways. But also please note, even though the SNES version of ALttP said seven wiseMEN and clearly they were not wisemen in FSA, the GBA version of ALttP said seven sages.

Just my simple theory is all. You can agree or disagree but no matter because even if it's not the sealing war or the backstory of ALttP is not FSA, I still place these game between TP and ALttP.

You may also want to explain your placement on MC and FSS especially FSA. You place it before OoT but how can that be possible if Ganon shows up in it and Zelda explained that he was once Ganondorf? Ganon is sealed at the end of FSA but Ganondorf shows up in OoT and turns into Ganon at the end. Talk about placements being flawed huh.

Ganon and Ganondorf are the same being

In a way, yes they are. IMO, Ganon is a demon that Ganondorf transforms into so it's kinda like they are the same but aren't. One example is that even though Ganondorf dies in TP, Ganon the demon still lives and can only be killed by the silver arrows. To backup my theory my explanation on that is that Ganon is trying to be resurrected when he dies. He tries to be resurrected by Twinrova in OoX after he died in ALttP. His minions (other form of demons rather) are trying to resurrect him in Zelda 2 AoL after he died in LoZ. Notice they are just trying to resurrect Ganon but not Ganondorf?

Actually the "word of god" said they were thinking it to be the earliest tale (or one of) in the timeline, not that it was. I've seen or read no official placement of MC/FS in the timeline by Nintendo but if you have that, please by no means post a direct link to it. There is little in game or any other type of evidence to support this too however but allot of theorists say it's because it's where Link "gets the green cap". I can understand that but you would also have to place it now before SS because Link in that game has a green cap so I think the green cap theory doesn't apply anymore.
You know, while most of the theorists do bring up the cap, it's usually after bringing up two or three of the following:
  1. The geography of MC and OoT are highly similar.
  2. MC shows us how the monsters came to roam free.
  3. The races aren't united in MC like in the other games (such as gorons being nomadic).
  4. Hyrule is sparsely populated in MC, despite there being no monsters to kill anyone. Makes more sense if it's early in Hyrule's history.
  5. The state of Hyrule in SS is more like that described in the backstory of MC than any other game.
  6. No hylians seem to know of the Triforce in MC.

And here's a few I haven't heard anyone bring up:
  • Cities in the sky are present in MC and FS. They are even populated in MC.
  • The volcanic region of Hyrule in FS is a huge lava flow, like the one in SS.
  • The Gerudo Tribe is in FSA, yet is clearly implied to have died out before the events of TP.
  • Dark Link's origins are in FSA.

Ganondorf was sealed TWICE in different timelines. Ganon ONCE in one timeline. Ganondorf was sealed at the end of OoT on the adult Link's timeline which leads to the events of TWW and he is back as Ganondorf. He is sealed sometime between the child Link's timeline and MM which leads to the events of TP and he is back as Ganondorf. Ganon is sealed at the end of FSA which I believe leads to the events of ALttP because he is back as Ganon, the same Ganon that was sealed in FSA because he has the trident. Simple logic.
I believe you missed my point. Ganondorf being sealed means nothing, because he's been sealed so often. It really doesn't back up any theory. We know that WW comes after OoT because the facts are made very clear. If FSA was meant to be the backstory of LttP, that would be equally clear. However, the premise is heavily flawed. I'll get to the Ganon/Ganondorf thing in a bit...

You may also want to explain your placement on MC and FSS especially FSA. You place it before OoT but how can that be possible if Ganon shows up in it and Zelda explained that he was once Ganondorf? Ganon is sealed at the end of FSA but Ganondorf shows up in OoT and turns into Ganon at the end. Talk about placements being flawed huh.
No one in Hyrule seems to know what the Triforce is. Makes sense, then Ganondorf sure won't know what it is. If he knew of the Triforce, why bother with the Trident? And I already listed nine other very concrete reasons for my placement of these games. Yet, your reason for placing them was rather arbitrary. "He turns into Ganon"? So what!? He does it all the time. That really doesn't make any sense.

In a way, yes they are. IMO, Ganon is a demon that Ganondorf transforms into so it's kinda like they are the same but aren't. One example is that even though Ganondorf dies in TP, Ganon the demon still lives and can only be killed by the silver arrows. To backup my theory my explanation on that is that Ganon is trying to be resurrected when he dies. He tries to be resurrected by Twinrova in OoX after he died in ALttP. His minions (other form of demons rather) are trying to resurrect him in Zelda 2 AoL after he died in LoZ. Notice they are just trying to resurrect Ganon but not Ganondorf?
The reason he's called "Ganon" in those games is because no one thought of making his real name "Ganondorf" yet. There is no reason to think Ganon is a different person from Ganondorf, except to fuel circular logic.
"Ganon and Ganondorf are different people because Ganon was sealed away at the end of FSA and was Ganon in LttP. FSA leads up to LttP because Ganondorf is Ganon at the end of that game." See how that makes no sense?
An explanation you can go for is that Ganondorf stopped going by his real name and went by "Ganon" and/or stopped taking human form. However, that only justifies placing the Oracle games and NES titles after LttP. Ganondorf transforms into Ganon in OoT, FSA, and TP. What reason is there to believe that the transformation was permanent in FSA, when it never was before?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
MC shows us how the monsters came to roam free.
No it doesn't. It shows how they were contained for a time. It would make sense to follow a period in which monsters already roamed free.
Hyrule is sparsely populated in MC, despite there being no monsters to kill anyone. Makes more sense if it's early in Hyrule's history.
Speaking of population, one of them is Zill. MC must take place close to WW then, huh?

No hylians seem to know of the Triforce in MC.
It's featured on banners and carvings all over the Castle and Market.

Cities in the sky are present in MC and FS. They are even populated in MC.
same with TP. what does this prove?

Dark Link's origins are in FSA.
There are several different types of Dark Link. For example, the one in AoL is a test, unrelated to Ganon or the Dark Tribe.

The geography of MC and OoT are highly similar.

So? Simple geographies don't mean anything especially when it comes to the Zelda series since pretty much all games the maps are different.

I believe you missed my point. Ganondorf being sealed means nothing, because he's been sealed so often.

I believe YOU missed my point. What I am trying to say is that it makes sense that if Ganondorf was sealed at the end of adult Link's ending and sometime between child Link's ending and MM and he's back as Ganondorf in both TWW and TP, it would make perfect sense that if GANON with the TRIDENT is sealed at the end of FSA he is back in ALttP as GANON with the TRIDENT. So my point is trying to connect the games together using logic from past games such as this. So in fact the sealing does mean something here.

I already listed nine other very concrete reasons for my placement of these games. Yet, your reason for placing them was rather arbitrary. "He turns into Ganon"?

Not all of it was that concrete and it's not evidence enough to place them there and support your theory but your theory/opinion is what it is. But you did fail to explain to me why Ganon shows up in OoT AFTER he was sealed in FSA. That's what I asked you to explain, not "concrete reasons".

No one in Hyrule seems to know what the Triforce is.

Explain why it appears in banners and carvings.

Makes sense, then Ganondorf sure won't know what it is.

Huh? Of course he doesn't know about the Triforce because he's not in those games. He only first knows about it chronologically in OoT and he tries to obtain it. This is why those games should not come before OoT.

If he knew of the Triforce, why bother with the Trident?

He doesn't use the Trident to take over Hyrule or the entire world like the Triforce would allow him too. The Trident is simply one of Ganon's weapons and he uses it in FSA because he believes it has the power to destroy the Links.

The reason he's called "Ganon" in those games is because no one thought of making his real name "Ganondorf" yet

Ya so? Ganondorf is his human name while Ganon is the name of the boar like demon.

There is no reason to think Ganon is a different person from Ganondorf, except to fuel circular logic.

Zelda in FSA refers to Ganon as the "ancient demon reborn". Ancient ... Reborn. Isn't that reason enough? Again, using logic here.

"Ganon and Ganondorf are different people because Ganon was sealed away at the end of FSA and was Ganon in LttP. FSA leads up to LttP because Ganondorf is Ganon at the end of that game." See how that makes no sense?

No what I'm saying is Ganon and Ganondorf are different people. Ganondorf was sealed in the sacred realm and leads to the events of TWW. Ganondorf was sealed in the twilight realm and leads to the events of TP. Ganon was sealed away in the four sword and leads to the events of ALttP. Now does that make more sense to you?

But according to you based on your theory on Ganon/Ganondorf being the exact same person and your placement of MC and FSS what you are saying is "Ganon and Ganondorf are the same people and Ganon was sealed away at the end of FSA. FSA leads up to OoT and Ganondorf is here trying to obain the triforce and is Ganon at the end of that game." See how that makes no sense? Please explain that.

I haven't read all the replies, but the Timeline isn't simple, say hello to SLEEPING ZELDA, she will make you NEVER SLEEPING THEORIST

@ CyberIce

I don't know what got it in your head that Ganon is a different person from Ganondorf, but that has to stop. In WW and TP, despite staying in human form, he is still referred to as "Ganon". Also, he still goes by that name, even when turning into a different from than normal in TP.
The Trident is also largely irrelevant, except in context of it's powers and use. Ganondorf doesn't use a trident in WW or TP...so what!? He uses one in OoT (at least Phantom Ganon does). None of the tridents he uses look alike, so they are all different. We must assume that the Trident was destroyed somehow (as Ganondorf isn't going to let a weapon that powerful go unused).
Also, if Ganon were sealed rather than Ganondorf in FSA, why didn't we see Ganondorf freed after the sealing? Maybe because they're the same person? Noooooooo.

Clash

Super Melee Brawler
The four swords part would go like this: MC--FS/FSA
Not MC/FS--FSA
This is because MC comes many years before FS and FS and FSA are generally accepted to be the same Link.

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
The only way sense can be made from the timeline is looking at what is fact (the actual concrete) and draw speculation from in-game facts that can lead to a possible theory as to the location of the other games.

FACT:
............/------TWW-PH--ST
SS--OOT
............\MM--TP

ALTTP-LA
TLOZ-TAOL
TMC--FS-FSA
OOX (standalone, can be interchanged per their own order)

Ganon dies (as in dead-dead) in TWW, TP, ALTTP, OOX, and TLOZ
Ganon is sealed in OOT, TP (backstory), and FSA
Ganon has whole Triforce in ALTTP
Ganon has Triforce of Power (only) in OOT, TWW, TP, TLOZ
TMC's Hyrule map is dissimilar to almost every other Zelda game, only holding 1 or 2 locations from prior games

SPECULATION:
OOX Link is seen leaving the games in a boat like in LA's intro. (ALTTP-OOX-LA)
FSA Ganon gets the Trident, then later becomes demon Ganon. This leads to ALTTP (FSA--ALTTP)
As the IW can't seem to fit well with any current Zelda game (due to in-game facts opposing already set facts), the IW has to be a separate event from other games
*Per the above speculation that Ganon from ALTTP is FSA Ganon, the IW would have to be after FSA, as Ganon was sealed in the Sacred Realm and possessed the whole Triforce (FSA--IW--ALTTP)

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
You more or less told us the main used timeline. When I looked at the title and saw you said the timeline was simple I laughed for an hour. The timeline is very vague and their is many theories on what is the right one. The worst part is fitting in the oracle games, Minish cap, and four sword games. These games are hard to place in the timeline and have the biggest debate. Most of the other things like Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time is placed in the same spot in most timeline theories.

My whole problem with the timeline is it's a mess. It's almost impossible to make sense of because it wasn't really planned for. Watch the AVGN's video. Miyamoto didn't really plan these games out. He made games he thought looked good.

There are other games in the NES/SNES/Genesis era that this wasn't the case:

Double Dragon was planned out, but there are issues with the Double Dragon Timeline due to NES Censorship
Blaster Master has two Sequels, one on Genesis, one on Game Boy Color
Contra has Contra, Super Contra, Contra III (SNES), Contra Hard Corps (Genesis)
Mega Man has it's 6 NES Games, and a 7th SNES Game, and a game for the Genesis taking place between Mega Man 3 and 4.

But Zelda isn't like that. Zelda doesn't have that kind of continuity because Miyamoto didn't set it up that way.

Ganon0075

Ganon, King of Douchness.
Nothing about the timeline is simple, especially placing the first four, OoX, and the FSS games.

The first four have so little details as to their placement that I have often thought of kicking them out of it all together.
Sure we know that ALtTP takes place before TLoZ and that takes place before TAoL, but what comes before ALtTP is often a bit unclear.

OoX does the same thing to me, little information about it's placement and the whole password/linked game thing

The FSS has been said to be an early tale but their not very clear about that and I have begun to wonder if they even consider it part of the timeline anymore.
Helk, even the ending of TMC leaves us to believe that Vaati died but for some reason he whinds up sealed in FS.
You would think that a game made after another that is intended to be a prequel would actually put that information in, but did they? No. (Don't know about the Japanese verison though)

I agree with your timeline but I'm just saying that pretty much nothing about it is simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom