• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Third Split: A Hero's Choice

SPOILERS BELOW

Correct me if I am wrong, but the third split in the timeline is caused by Link's failure to defeat Ganon, correct?

Well, what I have been thinking is that when Link is sent back to his time by Zelda, Two timelines are created. One with Link, and another without. Adult and Child.

At this point, Link is faced with a choice. Re-accept his destiny as a hero by warning Zelda about Ganondorf's plans, or leave Hyrule forever. We know that in MM, Link has a vision of Zelda teaching him the Song of Time once more. This places MM in the Hero Accepted part of the timeline.

However, had Link not told Zelda about Ganondorf's threat (Which are Adult Zelda's intentions.) an entirely different story would take place. The Link to the Past timeline. The "Downfall" era.

So, we have three timelines.
The Adult timeline, where there is no Hero of Time to stop Ganon as he creeps from the Earth, causing the Great Flood. The Wind Waker occurs on this timeline, along with Phantom Hourglass. The New Hyrule is founded in Spirit Tracks, and Malladus is revived. (Another one of the incarnations of Demise's hatred.)

The Hero Accepted timeline, (also called the Era of Twilight) in which Link tells Zelda of Ganondorf's plot, and he is sealed within the Twilight Realm (by what I believe to be the unawakened sages, but that's another theory) The events of Majora's Mask and of Twilight Princess occur. Ganondorf is NOT killed at the end of Twilight Princess, he is merely sealed once more, similar to how Demise is sealed in the Master Sword at the end of Skyward Sword.

The Hero Denied timeline, (also called the Era of Downfall) in which Link honors Zelda's wishes and creeps from his destiny. Ganon does not gain the Triforce through the Temple of Time, and instead the Goddesses bless him, along with the Spirit of the Hero and the Princess of Hyrule with their respective pieces. Ganon recovers these pieces, and the events of A Link to the Past occur. This leads into The Legend of Zelda, and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

This is merely what I believe, and releases of more games may change this theory of mine.

Last edited:

Skunk

Floof
I honestly don't have a clue about this whole third split business. Hero failed, Heroes choice, players absence, I've heard loads of explanations yet seem no closer to determining the actual one. I'll probably just stumble across an article at some point and think "Ohhhhhhh so that's what it's all about!"

Nntendo released the timeline. It is three way, and if your confused you should check it out

Ya nintendo released a timeline, but on the left side, it doesnt make sense. it says "hero fails." The big question is, how did the hero fail? Did he die to ganon, did he run away, or what?

atompike

On my Zeldathon Quest
Yeah and to be honest I would have been happy to be left hanging. Cause it's a little hard to swallow.

Skunk

Floof
Yeah and to be honest I would have been happy to be left hanging. Cause it's a little hard to swallow.

If you think it's hard to read, try having to put it in a way that people who;
A)know nothing about Zelda
:cool:hate video games
C) think all games are a waste of time except atari
... will find engaging.g without telling.g them it's a game. I did it, barely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom