• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The thing in Zelda you love but everyone hates

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I enjoyed the heck out of the Twilight zone. Going to the different places and doing the tears, but everyone I know who plat TP hated it for some reason.

I think they are very good at familiarising a new player with an area and after they dispel the twilight, giving them a sense that they are doing some good.

However once a player is familiar with the areas and have one or two playthroughs under their belt, the tears of light quests can become tedious.

karu

Panamaniac
I think they are very good at familiarising a new player with an area and after they dispel the twilight, giving them a sense that they are doing some good.

However once a player is familiar with the areas and have one or two playthroughs under their belt, the tears of light quests can become tedious.
I still enjoyed it. Yes it gets annoying, the monkey part especially, but the cut scenes with Faron and Ordon and the other spirits is worth it.

I've always been a fan of Navi and Fi. I see why they might aggravate people, but when I play I'm also telling myself a story of what's going on, so when they pop up I imagine what they WOULD be saying to Link if this was actually happening. Navi would be commiserating with him over the ruined state of Hyrule and encouraging him to keep his spirits up, and Fi would be telling him all about the history of the surface world and advising him on tricky puzzles and enemy tactics.

Basically the handheld Zelda games. I for one really loved Minish Cap, PH, and ST. So much hate especially for PH and ST.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I love the heck out of the Oracle games and FSA. I have played FSA more times than most Zelda games and I'm itching for it as I type this! It's a decent game with a great art style (construction paper???), great music, and some of the best puzzles Zelda has to offer. The real fun comes when you play with four players though, seriously, do it.

Also, I always loved Navi, the Water Temple from OoT, and Tinlge in MM. I loved sailing the sea in Wind Waker and the sidscrolling in LA. And here's the kicker, the one that gets me shouted down for calling out the haters: I. Freaking. LOVED. The time limit in MM. The time mechanic gave a true sense of urgency to the game and made everything you did count. It made every interaction you had with a character a thing of substance. Because of it, doom hung over every conversation and dread permeated every line of text. I also loved the owl statues. I hate Nintendo for taking these things away from a Zelda masterpiece.

Ok well maybe Majora's Mask isn't hated as much but it did get a lot of shade and does to this day because it wasn't like Ocarina of Time. It's one of the worst selling Zelda titles
This may be due to the fact that you also had to buy a graphic enhancer to attach to the N64 that people didn't want to spend extra money on just to play one game.

Lanky Kong

borf
I like that stupid owl from ocarina of time. He has the attitude to put "no" first in your options. Now that's an owl with spunk.

Motion controls in general. I think the way Nintendo uses it most of the time adds to the experience and improves the gameplay.

The opening to Twilight Princess... I liked how slow paced it was and how it set up the story to be more than "Boy, you are the hero. Go save us all." It make Link out to be way more of a believable character than other games, and provided him with a reason to go out on his journey. He was just some farm kid who got caught up in this big mess, and had to save his friends. I admit that on repeat playthroughs it can be pretty tedious, but the first time was really nice. I also enjoy the gyroscopic controls for aiming. Not sure how others feel about them. I think they provided a nice balance between the point style aiming of the Wii and the analog stick aiming which I always found too sensitive to be accurate.

Oh yeah, I love Zelda 2 as well, which a lot of people hate, or write off for being too difficult or different. Seriously, more people should give it a go. It's a great game with a decent challenge. You feel really good finally beating it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be crazy but I love tingle. He's just the weirdest and randomest character I've ever seen. I even got "Freshly Picked, Tingles Rosy Rupee Land" because I love tingle. (It's not that good) I know a lot of people around here loath him but he's one of my favorites! :dealwithit:

I too think Tingle is a highlight of the series. I've never understood why people don't like him. He's one of the only real distinct Zelda characters that isn't a generic fantasy trope.

I love Fi, its my favorite companion. Her design, the dancing, the innocent patronizing, the voice, the turn around in the end. She was very humorous.

The water Temple in OoT. I like the fact that it's a genuine challenge even after all these replays! Meanwhile, everyone loves the shadow Temple and I think it's... okay. I do genuinely like it and the atmosphere and whatnot is fantastic, but it's super linear, especially after the water Temple before it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom