• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Temple of the Ocean King Really, REALLY Hurts. :(

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I thought they'd never make something more frustrating than a few of the temples in Majora's Mask where you had to do a whole level over again and worry about the time limit. I was SO wrong.

Let me put it this way... I may not be able to finish PH because this level is too hard and instills a sense of futility. You have to do it over again from the start if you make a mistake. It feels like I get no credit for solving any of the puzzles, and that's just maddening.

This temple takes everything that stresses me out, and throws it all in my face at once. Time limits and sneaking areas are my least favorite things to encounter in video games. Here, they not only have the audacity to combine them, but they give you normal dungeon puzzles to worry about as well. Worst of all, none of your progress is saved, and you have to go redo what you've already done, possibly screwing that up as well.

On my first real visit to this dungeon after the Temple of Fire, it already had me stressed out. It took me two days to get past the third floor, and then I died on the fourth. When I went back in and had to do it all over again... I was so angry I couldn't see straight. I struggled on the second floor again, and couldn't make it past the third floor. I ended up having my mom do it. I was just relieved that it was over, and I hoped I would never have to see this place again.

Cut to the point after I beat the Temple of Wind. I find out that I not only have to go there AGAIN, and start from the beginning AGAIN, but I've got to redo everything I did last time and MORE, and STILL start over at the beginning of the part I did the first time if I make a mistake after that point.

:cry::mad:

I... I... just can't believe it. It's not fair. I get no credit whatsoever. Over and over again. With the stressful time limits. Do the same stuff, get more piled on, and do ALL of that over again for just ONE mistake? I haven't even started yet and I'm already losing it.

This feels more like one of those horrible old arcade games I could never get past level 3 on than a Zelda game.

They've really destroyed the main reason I prefer Zelda games over platformers like Mario. I prefer it because I can take damage rather than dealing with "poof-die" and complete start over of the level upon failure. You could just go back to the puzzle you failed at last time. Now I have to deal with it here, too. Why?!

P

PixelSmile

I know how you feel, Before i completed phantom hourglass a few weeks ago that temple reeeally pulled my strings. You'll eventually be able to complete it, it just takes time and effort. I find it helps if i turn off my DS and come back to it later on, when i've calmed down and ready to make yet another attempt.
You'll be pleased to know thats in Spirit Tracks there is no time limit in the spirit tower! :D

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
i know what you mean , i completed PH last year but dont worry, its gets easier once you obtain all the items then some floor take about 20 seconds

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
Keep trekking, young warrior. Think of the satisfaction you will feel once you finally put that wretched temple in its place.

NES

Awesome
You'll get through it eventually! That's what I did. I got so frustrated with that temple that I just quit playing for a while. I came back to it a month or so later and tried again and eventually beat it. There's nothing more satisfying than beating The Temple of the Ocean King... again. Good luck!

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
The Temple of the Ocean King's main reason for frustration was that you had to go through it entirely every time you went there, imo.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
It seems hard, but first of all after you get halfway through it, you can just take the yellow warp point to get halfway down it. Also, you'll notice that they create shortcuts on earlier floors if you have later items. One of the big ones is using the Grappling Hook in the first room with Force Gems. You can just launch yourself right up and skip the whole floor pretty much. It is annoying, but I go through it a lot now for ship parts. Remember, there are a couple of Treasure Maps in the game that offer one minute to the Phantom Hourglass if you find them. ;)

Nye Pendragon

derparific
AMEN.
That awful temple (and having to return to it!) nearly /ruined/ PH for me.
I was never so fustrated in my life. I like to take my time when doing temples and such in Zelda,
so it's no suprise I had such a problem with it. The same with MM. I hate having a time limit...

I don't get people's problems with it. Towards the end it got hard(that's what she said) but you only had to redo the hardest parts once.

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
You could say that. While I was playing PH (I've completed the game.) I spent my spare time looking for sands of hours. If I couldn't find any, I'd just really be careful with the time, phantoms, etc.

O

Okami Amaterasu

You'll get it eventually. My fastest time for the first half is 34 seconds, and it only took me two tries to get it that way. (I was mad at the temple because I died on the last floor, so I said "You will rue the day you killed me!" and I won the next time though.) So you should get it soon.

I'm seriously the only person in the world who enjoyed (and still does) the TotOK? Then again, I'm the only American who likes Tingle... And the only theorist who doesn't believe there's a definite timeline/ don't want there to be one... God, I'm effed up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom