• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art The Tales of Elvin Clover

Aerauro67

That God of Yellow Foxes
This is the first story I have ever written. I've shared this story on numerous other places, and now is my time to tell it here. Here's a bit of backstory to it. This story is non-professional and is fan-based kinda off of The Legend of Zelda. Now the thing is, the main character is a girl, not a boy. The rest will be explained within the story itself. Every now and then, I'll post a new chapter once I finish drafting, typing, and editing it. So with that, enjoy! Leave comments about the story below...

First chapter is posted below...

Ch. 1—The Shadow’s Omen

There once was a place in an unknown world known as Kynami, an area of many forms of peoples. They each have claimed their homes in different parts of Kynami, to match their adaptability. Such of which can be able to survive heat, live in water, and resist the cold. The land was ruled under a legacy, started by a hero known as Katon, who had slain an evil wizard whose name cannot be mentioned by the ordinary people. That, of which, is where this story becomes a tail spans through ages.

One may know about the few species that live upon the land of Kynami. As of which, only the humans have seen upon themselves and nothing else. But this story is towards not being a human, but a creature spoken as a Minishen. The Minishen are creatures that live in the forest. They contain all the human aspects and appear to look like humans. The thing that separates the humans from the Minishen, though, is that the Minishen are much smaller than the humans. Apparently, Minishen can be as tall as up to six inches. In addition, it is rumored that the Minishen can be magical creatures, even though no one has ever seen them or spotted their so-called magic.

Now, our hero, who is a Minishen, begins the quest in a nightmare. The horrid dream begins with our protagonist running from a shadow that appears to be chasing the young Minishen.
Suddenly, with a small stumble, the Minishen is stopped in the tracks, as the shadow approaches the young Minishen. With a scream, the Minishen awakes with a fright knowing that none of this has actually happened. The Minishen then releases a sigh of relief.

The Minishen tries to recall what has happened the day before, only to remember the usual routine of everyday business and being called by her name from the prince of the forest. She remembers that faint greeting of “Good morning, Elvin Clover!” as she prepares herself for the dawn of a new day. As she walks down the steps of her small home, Elvin notices a letter at her front door, which has the Minishen symbol imprinted on it. Elvin knows that it must be from Prince Raspon, who is the leader of the Minishen Forest. As Elvin opens it up, she reads it, stating:

“Greetings, Elvin Clover!
You may remember from yesterday how I said hello to you as you we’re walking home. Well, it turns out, the moment I met you, there was something about you I could not resist. I think it’s time to change you from an ordinary Minishen into someone else. Meet me by the entrance of the Minishen Palace as soon as possible today. From there, I’ll give you something that you may need in order to become a proper young Minishen.
~Prince Raspon”

That was the moment Elvin realized that this could be the day that would change her life. As she was filled with excitement, she rushed out of the door in her joy. But she soon had come to a stop just before opening the door, as it was being blocked by what she would expect to be another acorn from the tree she resides in. Luckily for her, Elvin knew another way out that would be more complicated: her back window. Climbing up the steps of her two-roomed house towards the bedroom, she remembers to take her pouch in case of any other importance. She opens up the hatch to the back exit of her home and climbs out to the braches. Suddenly, Elvin hears a familiar sound. It was the sound of the spiders that lurk in the attic of Elvin’s tree, and Elvin knew that someday she would remove them from there.

Elvin then continues to carefully climb down the branches of the tree, weary of what could happen for any false moves. Reaching the last branch, a sudden shout causes the young Minishen to stumble and fall down with a crash. After coming to her senses, Elvin sees three other Minishen boys that are staring at her, laughing. Elvin recalls who the three pranksters are, as their names were Levon, Horden, and Davin.

“What’s the matter, Elvin? Can’t climb down a tree on your own?” said Levon.

“She still may need some extra practice at the training center.” said Horden.

“It’s too bad she doesn’t have cat-like reflexes like us.” said Davin.

Elvin promptly got to her feet saying, “Will you three please just go away already? You’re really getting me onto my bad side!”

“Oh, sorry, Elvin. We never knew you we’re so sensitive.” Levon said sarcastically.

“It’s not our fault you’re so emotional!” said Davin.

“Are you three going to continue to laugh at me or do you have other businesses to attend to?” Elvin demanded. She knew the group of bullies quite well and she sensed that today they were in no rush to harass Elvin.

“You’re right! We do have other things to do today.” Levon remarked, “Come on, boys, let’s get out of here before Little Miss Hot Head tries to kill us!”

Just like that, the three boys off and about with their other businesses. Elvin was scrolling through that last statement about how they called her a hot head. It was true. Elvin was the only Minishen in the forest to have red hair. She looked at herself, reminded of her look. She was at the regular height of an average Minishen and had pointed ears like any other Minishen. Her green eyes sparkled like no one else’s, and had her red hair controlled in a narrowly braided style. She wore a plain lavender dress that matched her rank as a Minishen, and always had a pair of red and green gloves embedded with the Minishen symbol.

As she recovered onto her feet, Elvin made her way through the market places of the forest. She soon made her arrival up to the entrance of the Minishen Palace, where the prince had been waiting there for her the entire time. As Elvin approached Raspor, she was to be quickly greeted by him, as well as a quick shake of the hand.

“Welcome, Elvin! I have been waiting for you! What has taken you so long?” he said.

“Would you mind taking a guess?” Elvin said. She also would have known that Raspor had been familiarized with the three bullies of the forest.

“Oh, I won’t need to. I saw them putting that acorn at your front door, all right. They ran away just as I was delivering this letter to you.” he answered. “But you can’t just get mad at them. Besides, it’s your lucky day after all. You have been the one to appeal to me without even trying. I was pretty much head-over-heels for you. But it’s not about love that I’ve summoned you here.”

“Then what is it about? There are no options.” Elvin questioned. But she already knew what it was about, thanks to her knowledge of being a Minishen.

“You can say it’s an initiation. You could say it isn’t. But I will tell you it is a step up as a Minishen.” Raspor responded “Follow me.”

They started towards the entrance of the palace and made their way to the throne room. Elvin had never seen the inside of the Minishen Palace before, mainly because she was never one to be requested to the palace. As she walks through the palace, she notices how amusing the architecture of the palace’s interior is.
Everywhere she looked there were marble columns that squeezed the carpeting in a straight line, as if it were a directional instruction guide to lead one to the main throne. Most of the walls were made of solid gold, which somehow appealed deeply to Elvin. Red carpeting took the two the whole way toward the throne.

Raspon and Elvin entered the throne room. Like all the other rooms, the walls were solid gold with marble columns that bordered the area. Up on the ceiling was a large chandelier that lit up the sanctuary. What stood ahead of them was a throne made of a substance known as Minishite, material that is rarely found. Humans or other larger species who found the mineral could only find a small quantity of it. The rest of the room looked like a sanctuary, exceeding the fact there were no rows to be seated upon.

As Raspon took his place upon the throne, the servant had arrived out with what was an iron-smelted blade and scabbard on a glass plate. Elvin kneeled down to knowingly accept her faith to become a new Minishen. Raspon then had given his speech to Elvin.

“Elvin Clover! Under the order of the Minishen who have spoken up their voices towards you, you have been accepted towards evolving from who you are now into a more active member of our tribe. Do you accept?”

Elvin replied, “I accept!”

Raspon then continued, “Then I grant to you this sword of the Minishen. Use it wisely, as you are now the guardian of the forest we Minishen live in.”

The servant laid down the sword in front of Elvin. As she thoroughly equipped it, she was filled with excitement. With it, she finally knew how much of a Minishen scout she had become. The problem was: how does she use it? She had heard of other Minishen who had used blades before, but she was never taught the ways of using it. The look on her face showed how confused Elvin was.

Raspon came towards Elvin saying, “You may be confused on how to use the blade. Most Minishen who have wielded a sword for the first time generally tend to not know any such thing on the basics of swordplay.”

“So, where can I learn how to use a sword?” Elvin asked.

“Follow me to the combat training room. You’ll surely understand there.” Raspon replied. They made their way outside of the throne to a lower level area of the palace. When they got there, Elvin found herself in a room full of training dummies, traps, and lots and lots of different weapons. The room also had some sort of building block climbing mountain, which narrowly seemed quite confusing to her. Then she notices that above it was a catwalk like area, which she was guessing it was for something parkourish.

Elvin stepped forward and was greeted by the instructor. The instructor was a large, muscular Minishen with battle scars on his face and body. He was the size of the average Minishen, and judging by his appearance, he’s been in many recent wars. By his side was a sword larger than Elvin’s brand new one. For some reason, he looked intimidating to Elvin.

“Welcome to the training center, recruit!” he said, “Here you shall learn all the basics of being a Minishen scout! Let’s get started.”

Before she stepped forward, Raspon stopped her quickly. Elvin was confused. She knew that she was waiting for this moment, but was wrong? Raspon stepped forward to speak to Elvin.

“You’re not properly in uniform for this kind of stuff, Elvin.” Raspon said. “You’ll need one of these.”

He then pulled out a pair garments and offered them to Elvin. The garments consisted of a black felt undershirt, covered in a nice green overcoat. The sleeves of the overcoat were embedded with the Minishen symbol. With the garments came a pair of green-and-black shorts and brown boots. On top of it all was a nice green hooded jacket, which Raspon said to use for when in the cold, but Elvin found another opportunity for it as well.

She stepped into the changing room across the gap on the other side of the training room. When she stepped out, her appearance had completely changed. The garments had fit her like a glove, and her sword fit neatly on her back, where she found it easier to wield it. She fastened the hood around her neck in a fine fashion, knowing when to use it. As a final touch, Elvin let her hair loose, and down came a cascade of rich, red hair that reached down to her shoulder blades. Raspon looked at her in astonishment, and left the room for Elvin and her training to commence.

Elvin stepped forward onto the ring in the center, where she learned throughout the day how to use the sword. She sliced her way through dummies and targets, perfecting the use of her new blade. She even, later in that day, learned about acrobatics during her training. She was learning how to properly climb ledges, walk along small walkways, and use ropes.

At the end of the training, Elvin decided to go freestyle by practicing her technique of using the hood as a gliding tool. When she jumped off a ledge, she would find an opportunity to pull the sleeves of the hood, releasing the jacket hood into a parachute that would ease the fall. The technique for settling this type of mechanism was properly a hidden technique passed down to her secretly. No one has ever been able to reveal it.

When Elvin was done with her training, she was released and told to return whenever she needed extensive training. As Elvin passed through the market town of the forest, she bumped into the three tricksters that always had been bullying her. Elvin made sudden eye-contact with Levon, knowing some kind of brawl would break out. Levon stepped forward with a grin.

“Look who it is, boys, Elvin Clover. What are you doing around here?” Levon said with a note of smug.

“Oh, I just got back from my…initiation, if you haven’t noticed.” Elvin responded with a bit of swagger. She gleamed out the new Elvin Clover within her in order to prove a point.

“Hmm…is that a sword I see there?” Levon noticed. He always loved blades, as for a fact that he grew up with them.

“You noticed?” Elvin showed it off.

“I see. Well, I hope you’ve been properly trained with it.” Levon said. Suddenly, he runs up and disarms Elvin, swiping the blade from her grasp and observing it. “We don’t want to see anyone hurt in this forest now, don’t we?”

Elvin recovers from Levon’s snatch movement. Clearly, Levon is impressed by the blade Raspon had given Elvin, as he gleams it and gives it a few test swings. Elvin took her sword back when Levon wasn’t expecting it.

“Well, clearly, I have been. Now, before you cause any harm, I best be going. Don’t want any more rascals in this forest now, don’t we?” Elvin said walking home.

She managed to remove the acorn blocking her front door. When Elvin opened the door, she started hearing the sounds of spiders again. It began to irritate her until the point of losing her mind. But then, Elvin realized that she owned a sword. She stared at the blade, recalling all the skills and tactics she learned that day. Elvin was filled with courage, knowing that the nonsense would end.

Elvin climbed up to her bedroom floor and opened up the attic door, which was in the corner. She entered it and climbed the spiral staircase, drawing her blade forward in a protective stance. Climbing forward, the sounds of the spiders got louder and louder. When she reached the top of the staircase, she found three giant black spiders in her pentagon-shaped attic.

The spiders looked at Elvin with a hostile manor. Suddenly, they lunged forward, but Elvin wasn’t afraid of them. Elvin charged forward with her blade gripped firmly in her hands. The three spiders readied their fangs at Elvin, showing much harm. Elvin jumped forth and slashed one of the spiders in the back. The spider screeched in pain as it bled green ooze and collapsing. When Elvin reached the floor, the spider was dead.

The other two spiders lunged forward in order to cause retaliation on Elvin for the death of their brethren, but Elvin was already swinging her blade at them. She sliced at one of the insects legs, which were cut off in seconds. The spider collapsed and Elvin performed a finishing blow on the crippled bug, killing it instantly.

The last spider was in no hurry to bite off Elvin’s head. Elvin went up for the kill on it, but the spider was too smart for her, using its front legs, which were very strong, to fend off all of Elvin’s sword strikes. Elvin was soon aggravated by this defensive maneuver, but she knew that the spider must be eliminated. She then rolled to the side of the beastly spider and sliced its side. But this was not enough to stop the creature, so Elvin slid underneath its belly and arose with a stab on the other side of the spider. The spider yelped, but was not dead. Elvin then decided to go for the head since it was vulnerable. She raced up the spiders back and went for a finishing blow on its head. Successfully, Elvin stabbed the spider as the blade went through its head and out. Finally, it collapsed with a shriek of pain as it slowly died. Elvin pulled the blade out of the head of the spider, cleaning the ooze of the spider off her sword.

She walked away from the attic to the staircase as the dead spiders began to decay away. Climbing down the staircase, Elvin felt quite exhausted. So she decided eat a little something and have a little sleep. She crept up into her bed, putting her sword at her side, and instantly fell into a deep sleep…

Later that night, Elvin woke up. She noticed it was still dark outside, but she had a serious superstition. What she decided to do was look out her window, so Elvin took a peek outside to see a horrible sight. The entire forest area was burning, with houses aflame, other Minishen screaming and running around like crazy, and worse, horrid shadow-like creatures flying around tormenting the small Minishen. Elvin was in deep shock to see such a thing to happen.

Alerted by this, Elvin took her sword and ran out the door. She felt like she was prepared for anything, so she charged forth to strike at the evil shadows that were wrecking the village. One of the shadows came up to challenge Elvin, giving off a terrible look that would give off fear. Without any thought about it, Elvin jumped and gave the shadow a slash with her sword, causing the shadow to ripple. Elvin thought she had killed it, but to her surprise, the shadow looked as if Elvin’s sword had done nothing to it. The shadow counterattacked with a swipe of its hand, which had severely hurt Elvin. Elvin felt so much pain of the strike, that she had the urge to retreat, for she couldn’t do anything to the shadow while it could hurt Elvin.

The only thing Elvin could do is run. She escaped the shadow before it could try to strike her again. Elvin decided to go to Raspon, since he could probably know a thing about why the shadows are attacking. Along the way, many screaming Minishen were running around, some bumping into Elvin, slowing her down. Some of the shadows swooped down to attack the Minishen, but Elvin couldn’t help them.

When Elvin escaped the crowd, she was greeted by some shadows, which were hungry for Elvin’s blood. Elvin couldn’t move because she knew that if she did, they would strike her, causing more pain and setback to Elvin. But Elvin knew that the shadows weren’t apart of the real world, so she rolled passed one of the shadows and ran her way to the palace. The one thing was that the shadows were chasing Elvin all the way to the palace, as they wanted her dead. Elvin then gave herself an extra push of speed in order to escape the shadows.
Elvin reached the front of the palace, and the shadows turned around, leaving Elvin alone. As Elvin raced to the entrance, she saw Raspon, who looked like he was in a panic. Elvin ran up to Raspon and was gasping for air.

“Elvin! Thank goodness you’re here.” Raspon said “I’ve been waiting for you. The shadows are trying to turn the forest into a corrupted wasteland!”

“Yeah, I can see that. Why are they doing this?” Elvin asked.

“The curse of the evil wizard has returned.” Raspon responded “He’s resurrected and is trying to turn Kynami under his own will. He sent these shadows all across Kynami to destroy all the regions and transform them into corrupted wastelands, where he can walk into them and enslave everyone. If he corrupts all of Kynami, he’ll transform us all into spirits that the shadows will all feed off of.”

“Is there any way we can stop him?” Elvin asked.

“There is one way, but you must do it.” Raspon said “As a Minishen scout, you are able to explore all of Kynami. There are eight temples throughout Kynami, each which are the core holding the condition each land is in. You must go to each temple and purify them of the curse and Kynami will be normal again. Each of the temples are filled with puzzles, traps, and foes that will try to destroy you. But I believe you can cure them all.”

"Eight temples? How am I supposed to do all that?” Elvin said

“Don’t worry, Elvin. You can do it. One of them is in the outside area of the forest, not too far from here. Head there, and defeat whatever evil is in there. That way, the forest will be cleansed of evil for such an amount of time.”

“Okay, I’ll do that.” Elvin replied. Right away, she ran straight towards the exit of the forest, but Raspon stopped her before she could exit the front of the palace.

“You can’t just go out there with just a sword, Elvin.”
Raspon stated “You’re going to need to defend yourself from the evil outside there. The best way to do that is with a shield. Take this wooden Minishen shield, and head for the Forest Temple.”

Raspon held out a round wooden shield engraved with the Minishen symbol. Elvin took the shield and equipped it in her right arm.

“Now go! You must save the forest!” Raspon commanded.

Elvin nodded and ran outside the palace entrance. She saw that the shadows were starting to leave, since they had already accomplished their goal of corrupting the Minishen forest. But Elvin couldn’t stay; she had to go straight for the Forest Temple. Elvin faired goodbye to her beloved home and ran outside of the village area of the forest, heading towards the outside area of the forest…

Last edited:

Aerauro67

That God of Yellow Foxes
Here's Ch. 2...

Ch. 2—Minishen Discovered

The outside area of the forest was very ominous. The trees were dried up and the plants were all dead. The pathway was littered with leaves, twigs, and dead branches from the trees, making the path for Elvin quite tedious. Elvin looked up to the sky to see a dark and shady atmosphere. She also saw that there were shadows flying around from above, which slightly frightened her.

Elvin made her way forward through the dark depth of the forest, with a look of nervousness on her face. She never had seen anything as creepy as this before. Her heart was racing, as she felt like something was going to come out and attack her. She cautiously took each step forward with slight hesitation. After a while, though, she was starting to get used to the creepiness of the forest and started moving at a walking pace.

Her only great threat was all the obstacles in her way. Most of which were all the dead branches scattered across the ground. Every time she had encountered some of these branches, she had to climb over them without stumbling, which she had done most of the time, giving her lots of scrapes on her body. She had trouble surpassing the leaves, tripped over twigs, and sometimes had to swim across puddles, which had tired her out.

After a couple hours, she came to a two-way path split. Which way do I go? Elvin wondered. Suddenly, right behind her, a shadow had crept right up behind her and took a swipe at Elvin. She turned around just in time to see it and dodge rolled out of the way to evade, and started running along the right path. But the shadow didn’t stop trying to harm Elvin; it made a break straight towards Elvin and started to chase her down the rugged pathway. Elvin kept running down the pathway, trying to escape the threat of the shadow, but with all the obstacles littered all over the ground, she just couldn’t make it, and the shadow was just about two seconds from reaching her. Elvin started to break into a sob, wishing for there to be an end to the pathway so that she could be left alone, as the shadow was just on her tail.

Suddenly, Elvin tripped over a twig and fell over, just as the shadow was up to her. Elvin began to shriek and crawled backwards, while the shadow had pulled back its hand and tried to latch onto Elvin. But just as she would get caught, she found herself outside of the forest and in the open world. The shadow had then backed into the forest, while Elvin was somehow having memories of this moment, like a déjà vu. She saw up ahead, a large structure that was in a pentagon shape, colored red and was made of hard, rectangle-shaped, and rugged objects. Elvin tried to observe it more, but she was falling fatigue from the chase and the constant running. Before she tried to do anything else, she lost consciousness and fell over on the grass with her stomach facing the sky and her eyes shut, as she fell into a coma.

Inside the large structure, through the one window facing towards the passed out Minishen was a room that looked like an office. The room had three desks, each cluttered with office materials, papers, and notebooks. The third one, which was closest to the window, was a human in a chair next to a computer.

The man had messy dark brown hair and wore glasses over his green eyes. He wore a white lab coat over a black shirt with a red Minishen symbol. One could probably tell that the man was a researcher; a researcher of mystical creatures, but judging by the symbol on his shirt, he was more interested in the Minishen. He also wore black shorts and a pair of sneakers. The human was talking to someone else on his computer.

The other one was quite shady, as his face wasn’t showing very well. They were having a conversation about each other’s daily lives.

“Yeah, things have been going quite well.” said the man at the desk. “I’ve got a couple more research notes on the Minishen, but I can never seem to find one.”

“Oh, I bet someday you will.” said the other man. “You just got to keep on trying and someday you’ll accomplish your goal. Anyhow, I got other businesses to do, so I’ll see you at the next meeting, alright?”

“Alright, I’ll see you then!” the man at the desk replied. He then switched off his computer and rolled over to the window, staring out of it. “Someday, world. I will find a Minishen and prove to you that they exist. I just got to keep on trying.”

He kept staring out, observing the sky beyond the forest. “Strange. The forest didn’t have such a sinister sky before. Something must be going terribly wrong. Does it have something to do with the curse coming back? Whatever it is, at least I’m from a distance from it.” He then looked downwards, and to his surprise, he found a six inch Minishen lying on the ground, passed out cold.

“Wait, is that…a Minishen?” he asked. The man walked out of his office and outside of his house to observe his finding. Observing it closely, he knew that what he saw was indeed a Minishen. Filled with joy, he carefully picked up the female Minishen off the ground, carrying her in a leaf that was right next to the creature, and took it inside his estate. He took it up to his office and laid the girl down on the desk to his right. Taking another look, the human realized the Minishen was armed with a sword and shield, so he removed them from her and placing them on the desk to his left. He then went straight to his desk, turned on his computer, and went straight to his notes.

Elvin woke up with a dizzy head. When she regained her mind, she had realized that she was not on the ground that she fainted on. In fact, Elvin found herself on a leaf, which was on top of a pile of things she had never seen before. Unsure about what is going on, Elvin tried to arm herself up for preparations of such, but she realized her sword and shield were not on her back. She was wondering what was going on, and asking herself how long she had been passed out for.

Then Elvin noticed the man at his desk, who is now writing up his research notes. Elvin was curious what he was writing, and she soon noticed it was notes about her. What was going on? Before Elvin could do anything else, the man swiveled ninety degrees to see Elvin wide and awake. He looked surprised to see that the Minishen was still alive. Without hesitation, he spoke up.

“Oh, I see you’re awake. Thank goodness! I thought you were dead.” he said.

“Uh, who are you?” Elvin said curiously.

“Only if you could tell me who you are. You are a Minishen, yes?” the man said.

“Why, yes I am.” Elvin stated. She then took a bow over for an introduction. “I am Elvin Clover, a Minishen scout chosen to take on a great challenge for my village.”

“Hmm. Very interesting. Well, my name is Aiden, researcher of mystical creatures like you Minishen.” he said. “Say, you wouldn’t be taking on the quest to defeat the dark wizard, aren’t you?”

Elvin felt shocked by his words. She had a feeling as if he had been following her all this time. She tried to find her gear, but couldn’t see it in sight.

“Where is my gear?” she demanded.

“I’ll give it to you once you’ve answered my question.” Aiden said.

“Okay, yes, I am. I have to go to the Forest Temple and purify it in order to save the Minishen forest from being engulfed in the shadows.” Elvin answered.

“Ah yes. I know of that story. I believe it is that time again where the evil wizard has resurrected himself. Yes, I have done much research on it. You may not know this, but the one who had slayed him was not alone on his quest. He had the help of a human to guide him through the challenges.”

“I didn’t know that. Now can I have my stuff back?” Elvin said.

“Oh, right. Here you go, Miss Elvin.” Aiden replied. He reached over to grab the sword and shield on the opposite desk and returned them to Elvin. While doing so, he asked, “Hey, since you’re going to need help from a human, how about I can be your helper. Please? You’d need me. I know everything a human would need to know about this quest. I’ll even give you a gift.”
“Wow. I didn’t know you were so into this.” Elvin said shocked. She didn’t think she would need any help, but since her last attack, she couldn’t bear to go out in the forest alone. At the same time however, she found him to be a little too obsessed with the whole tale of the dark wizard thing. This was a tough decision for the young Minishen.

She held out her hand, which was her way of saying deal. Aiden was so surprised by this, and let out a cry of joy. Thanking Elvin several times, he went to prepare himself and get Elvin’s gift. Elvin found herself in an awkward situation and stood at that desk in a state of trance from the sight she had seen.

Aiden returned with three items in his hand, all Minishen size: a shovel, a slingshot, and a stepladder. “Go ahead. Pick one.” he said. Elvin decided to take the slingshot, as she found it to look very helpful for such a small weapon. Obtaining it, she decided to take a few test shots with the seeds she had been given. But before she could do that, Aiden stopped her, as he didn’t want anything destroyed in his house.

“Okay, so, shall we get going?” Elvin said.

“Oh yes, let’s!” Aiden said. He let out a hand and told Elvin to climb onto his shoulder. She ran up his arm and onto his right shoulder, where she could get an easier ride to the Forest Temple.

Elvin and Aiden headed for the outside world after Aiden updated his online profile. They settled out for the forest for Elvin’s second chance at the forest. As they headed in, Elvin was got curious of how she would be able to survive the evil shadows, even with the help of a human.

“Say, Aiden, I have a question. Do you how to defeat the shadows that have invaded the forest?” she asked.

“Don’t you worry your Minishen head about that, Miss Elvin. I got it all under control.” Aiden said with confidence.

They made their way back to the split pathway, where Elvin got chased by the shadow. Suddenly, the shadow that had chased Elvin popped out of the ground with a scary face. Elvin had more fear on her face than Aiden, while Aiden was not amused by the shadow and its show up. Instead, he pulled out a miniature flail out of his backside, which Elvin never even realized he had. Aiden swung it around in the air, then brought it down with a slam on top of the shadow, causing the shadow to dissolve into the thin air, with a screech of defeat, and it was gone. Elvin looked at Aiden in shock, and Aiden returned with a smug face.

“Yeah, I prepared myself.” he said with a note of smugness. “You see, most Minishen weapons cannot harm these shadows, but all types of human weapons can harm them.”

“Well, it’s a good thing you found me, then. I would never have been able to survive the forest!” Elvin said.

Elvin pointed the one pathway she did not take, which was the left pathway. There was not much difference between the two pathways, except that at the end of the pathway was a glowing purple tunnel, and what not for the two adventurers to head there. Along the way, large logs got in the way, but with Aiden’s help, they were able to make it over them. Just before they could make it into the tunnel-like area, more shadows appeared, alongside of strange spiders of the ground, which Aiden identified as Tarankulls. Elvin decided that she could take them down for herself.

She jumped off of Aiden’s shoulder and went straight for the Tarankulls. She lunged herself at them and used a jump attack to hack away at one of the Tarankulls, while Aiden went away at smashing the shadows. They each kept fighting the monsters that assaulted them until there was nothing left to fight. Elvin jumped straight back onto Aiden’s shoulder and they made their way inside the tunnel-like area.

Inside the purple area was a gargantuan swamp, where there were dead trees scattered. There was a pathway that was made from the trees. It started from a cliff on the left side of the swamp. The two thought they should’ve gone that way, because of what was in the pit that spanned the forest. Inside the pit were not only the dead trees, but what could’ve been the substance that killed them: poisonous gas. The gas was what gave off the purple coloring in the forest. Both Elvin and Aiden knew that if they walked into that gas, they’d be out cold, and probably never wake up. Instead, they decided to use the trees and the cliff to get to the other side. The reason being was that there was no gas in their way of reaching the cliff.

“That seems like a dangerous move, Aiden.” she complained.

“You don’t have to worry, Elvin.” Aiden implied.

“Why not? If we do that, I’ll fall off your shoulder!” Elvin exclaimed.

“That can be arranged.” Aiden said. He opened up the pouch in his shoulder bag. “Climb into here, and you won’t fall.”

Elvin thought he was crazy, but had to agree with his logic. She hopped off his shoulder and into the bag, which turned out to be crowded with tons of things that involved science and the Minishen.

“Okay! I’m in!” she shouted.

“Alright then!” he said. Aiden made a break for the cliff and jumped off of it, running onto the first tree branch, hopping off of it and continuing to jump from one branch to another. Elvin, on the other hand, was flopping about inside the bag, hitting her head on tons of notepads, bottles, and other such materials. Elvin found it quite painful, but it was the only way to survive from the poisonous gases.

Aiden reached a large tree stump and stopped running just in time to encounter a couple more shadows. He pulled Elvin out of his bag and let her onto the ground. When Elvin saw the shadows, she got a small chill up her spine, but she knew that Aiden could take care of it. But before she could give Aiden the command, the shadows had summoned upon a group of small bats to take care of the Minishen.

“Ack!” Aiden shouted. “Those are Hyen, Elvin, and they don’t play nice with you. I’ve got an idea, girl. You got to use your slingshot to stun them. That way, you can get a chance to attack them.”

“Okay, got it!” Elvin said. She then pulled out her brand new slingshot and observed the logic of it. She inserted a pellet into the sling, pulled it back, aimed for one of the Hyen flying overhead, and shot it with deadly accuracy. Surprised, Elvin charged forward and used a finishing blow to kill the evil bat.

Elvin continued to shoot the Hyen and Aiden continued to slam his flail on top of the shadows. Once all the shadows were defeated, Aiden noticed Elvin was still having trouble finishing off the Hyen, so his decision was to help the young Minishen. He flailed his way through all of the bats, giving Elvin no more chances to shoot them. All of the Hyen fell to the stump, leaving a large valley of dead black bats all around Elvin.

Elvin stood there in amazement, and Aiden put away his flail. She thought that Aiden deserved huge thanks.

“Wow. That was awesome, Aiden. How did you learn to use that flail?” she asked in astonish.

“Well, I’ve been taught to use several weapons in my lifetime, Miss Elvin.” he said. “When I was young, I wanted to be like the great hero of Kynami, named Katon. You have heard about Katon, right?”

“Yes, I’ve heard that story several times. We have to hear it for every ceremony of the Minishen in order to be reminded of why we are who we are. In fact, Katon is our hero. The Minishen who saved Kynami and brought fame to our tribe. This is why I’m going to be like him, Aiden, this is why.” Elvin said.

“But you got to remember, Elvin, you got a long way to go if you’re going to be like Katon. You said that this way the beginning of your quest, right? Well, in order to save Kynami, you got to conquer all eight of the temples and purify them. You don’t even know all eight of the temples, do you?”

Elvin shook her head. She knew about there being eight temples, but not where they are.

“I can tell you. I’ll use a section from the Minishen legend.” he said. He cleared his throat and began to speak in the ancient tone that the story was spoken in.

“The Minishen was to claim all eight temples under the control of the notorious shadows. One of these temples is in the depths of the woods. Another is at the peak of the volcano. Another at the bottom of the lake. There is another at the heart of a blizzard. Found was another on the inside of a pyramid. One is also in the center of a storm. Another is currently hidden in the eye of the sky. The final was in the world of the shadows. (Do note that Elvin was astonished when she heard about the final temple.) When all of the temples were purified, the hero unveiled the location of the wizard and made his way to slay him and stop his evil wrath.”

“Wow. That’s amazing, Aiden!” Elvin shouted.

“Yes, I had it all memorized. So, shall we get going? You’ve got a forest to save.” Aiden said. He opened up his pouch, allowing Elvin to step inside.

“Oh, yes. Let’s go!” she commanded. She climbed her way inside of the shoulder bag, and Aiden took off.

Again, there were more trees to jump across, and Elvin was bouncing around much more than the last time. Aiden had used his best moves without remembering about Elvin being in the bag, causing Elvin to feel even more pain than before.

Aiden spotted the exit of the swamp, and made a break for it. He made his leap, but noticed he fell short of his jump, which wouldn’t be enough to pass over the gas. He made a split decision to pull Elvin out of his bag and toss her. Elvin was flailing around in Aiden’s hand, trying to figure out what was going on. But before she knew it, she was flying outside of Aiden’s grasp, heading straight for land. Screaming, the only thing Elvin could do was pull the sleeves on her jacket and release the hood like a parachute.

Landing safely, Elvin looked at the exit in relief, for she wanted to get out of the horrible place she was in. But what about Aiden? Elvin turned around to see Aiden falling into what would certainly be the poisonous gas. But to her surprise, he held his breath and did a recovery roll to get him out of the gas and into safety, yet Elvin was got out of Aiden’s way before she could be crushed.

“Wow, thanks Aiden. You really saved me from certain doom.” Elvin said.

“No problem, Elvin. But it was just a quick reflex, so you can’t blame me for doing it.” Aiden joked.

They then made a run straight for the exit and found themselves in a small pathway, blocked off on the sides of two higher hills. There was a silver bench on the left sided hill. Also, there were trees that flooded the hills, so there was no way one could climb over the hills. Up ahead of the pathway was a large stone wall, engraved with ancient symbols. There was a hole at the bottom of the wall, the size that a Minishen can crawl under and pass through. Aiden could see that there were trees everywhere, and according to his theory, behind the stone wall was a circular ring with no trees.

“So I’m guessing we’re here, aren’t we?” Elvin asked.

“Yes, this is the barrier that leads into the entrance of the Forest Temple.” Aiden said. “Only the Minishen can pass through this barrier.”

“So, I guess I’ll see you later then, Aiden.” Elvin said.

“Hang on. I need you to do something before you go.” Aiden said. He pulled out one of his bottles and gave it to Elvin.

“What’s this for?” she asked.

“I need you to collect a sample of mushroom spores while you are inside of the temple. It’s for something vital towards your quest. But I can’t tell you, due to the Prophecy of the Minishen.”

“The Prophecy of the Minishen? What’s that?” Elvin asked.

“I can’t tell you that either. If I did, bad things will happen.” Aiden stated.

“Okay, I’ll get the spores. I’ll see you later then!” she said.

“I’ll see you around! Oh, and Elvin, good luck in there. It’ll be dangerous in there.” Aiden warned. He waved Elvin goodbye.

Elvin stepped inside of the Minishen Barrier, crawling her way through it until she found her way out of it. She looked at the area she was in in astonish. There were more trees upon the hills, and the stone flooring was surely the sign of which she was at the Forest Temple. Stone columns marked the pathway towards the entrance, and everything else in the area was of nature itself. The temple, on the other hand, was the greatest feature. The whole thing was made of stone and the roof was made of greenery, which composed the main structure. Two more structures composed the temple, as they were on the other sides of the temple, marking other pieces of the sanctuary. In addition, they looked like miniature versions of the main piece of the temple.

Elvin felt prepared for this. She stepped forward and ran straight for the entrance. The young Minishen looked at what was ahead of her, but there wasn’t much to see but a staircase and torches that lit the way inside. Elvin made her way down the steps and into the temple, awaiting what was ahead of her…

Before I get into my critique, I have a quick question for you:

Why are you bolding dialogue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom